IGNORED

Fundie Divorces

Bethella

People have requested a divorced fundie list. Let me know if you see something missing on the list. 

Last updated 9 November 2019

image.thumb.png.7ffbb46b631e7f30ee5613c79527cbd7.png

Edited by Bethella
updating list
  • Upvote 9
  • Thank You 13
  • Love 2

• Bethella pinned this topic

Great start! 

Gabriel Pearl was married to Lori on September 1, 2004, according to a NGJ announcement. The PDF of that issue has since disappeared.

Fortunately, I did a screen capture for posterity, and here it is:

1633644537_GabePearl1stMarriage.thumb.png.8ad80471a12df3d50cd2457a0645def1.png

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 8

Don’t forget Josh and Shannon Harris!

Emily Case Brower and Ben Brower.

Gwen Shamblin and David Shamblin

Rebekah Keller and Josh McDonald

Steffan Holt and Hayley Millsap

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 6

Thank you for making this. Lisa Sproul has been rumored to be divorced 3x prior to RC, but the only confirmed one I can find is with a man named David Ringel. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

2 hours ago, HeadshipRegent said:

Larry (Biblical Gender Roles blog) was divorced and remarried in 2012

I have no idea who that is, has he been discussed here?

22 minutes ago, Bethella said:

I have no idea who that is, has he been discussed here?

Some of his blog posts have. He’s the mind behind “girls should get married after they get their period”. 

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 5
  • WTF 8
  • Thank You 1

Micah, the older Girotti ("Mountain Musings") son is divorced and remarried. He has one son from his 1st marriage to Elizabeth (sorry I don't have a last name, that's all I can glean from their blog) and a new baby boy with his 2nd wife Kerri.

• Thank You 2

55 minutes ago, HeadshipRegent said:

Some of his blog posts have. He’s the mind behind “girls should get married after they get their period”. 

So I would have been married at 12 and two months. Lovely. 

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 2

It also appears that the fourth S'Morton couple, Jerome "Jerry" Cox (Jeanine's father) and Alma Smith (Bret's mother), separated some time after Alan's arrest. They were married on June 16, 2007 and he was living separately from her at the time of his death on June 8, 2017. She was not mentioned in his obituary, but Jeanine's mother Dorothy sure was.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 5

Has anyone verified the poster claiming to be Steve Friedrich in the other thread? If he’s to be believed, they’re now divorced, not separated, and Carmon has remarried.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

13 hours ago, Smee said:

Has anyone verified the poster claiming to be Steve Friedrich in the other thread? If he’s to be believed, they’re now divorced, not separated, and Carmon has remarried.

Don't know if the poster requested verification but Carmon has indeed remarried and goes by Carmon Flanigan Conover now:

1929881357_CarmonFlanigan(Friedrich)Conover.thumb.jpg.0ecb2374996a3fe230c8d5215cb403b8.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

Has Rebekah Keller actually remarried?  That I did not know.

Going back to ancient history:  Autumn.  She is apparently doing very well today, thank goodness.  She visited us last year to say she was considering writing her autobiography.

I think she is important because she is a very good example of the dangers of the courtship model, why people should avoid it, and how predators can sneak through even well-meaning parental controls.

Amber was so "mature" for her age she was courting at 15 with parental approval, married to an abuser at 16, and told to submit to the abuse by her church.  When parents Tracy and Vern found out about the abuse they encouraged Autumn to leave and divorce him.  I always admired that family's honesty about the mistakes they made and how they modified their beliefs after that experience.

Also ancient history, Emily and Dna (<1000) divorced.  They were sort of wannabe Fundies, but he was certainly swimming in the koolaid at that non-accredited Bible College in Maine.

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 12
  • Love 4

35 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Also ancient history, Emily and Dna (<1000) divorced. 

I will never not miss them. I really want an update blog. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

Emily and Dna were the ones who brought me out of lurkdom.  Dna sometimes updates facebook but I haven't looked recently.

And an addition, @Bethella.  You have the divorce covered but Kelly Brown, formerly Brown Bradrick!, remarried.

@formergothardite, while we are on ancient history, did Lina and Taliban Tony get divorced in the end?  I missed a lot of the declining action there.  I must have been taking a hiatus.

• Upvote 2

And one more for the "Thank Goodness They Divorced Because Abusive Fundie Men" category.  Carri (of Carri Me Away.) 

RIP, Carri.  I hope you found peace and happiness in your freedom.

Excellent summary here:  

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

On 9/23/2019 at 8:57 PM, Bethella said:

People have requested a divorced fundie list. Let me know if you see something missing on the list. 

Last updated 23 September 2019

image.thumb.png.c8352d5773fc9a751b80c6f7d6d9931c.png

WOW you are so quick!   Thanks for your amazing work for us :)

• Upvote 5

30 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

did Lina and Taliban Tony get divorced in the end? 

They did. I think she dropped the whole vegan Messianic Jew thing pretty quickly. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

1 minute ago, formergothardite said:

They did. I think she dropped the whole vegan Messianic Jew thing pretty quickly.

But then she converted to Catholicism and he turned Atheist! 

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Someone posted that she had remarried and listed his name (I had only known his first name until then). I’ll try to remember to track it down.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bethella said:

Someone posted that she had remarried and listed his name (I had only known his first name until then). I’ll try to remember to track it down.

Fundie wiki says his name is Kevin Hunt.

• Thank You 2

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Going back to ancient history:  Autumn.  She is apparently doing very well today, thank goodness.  She visited us last year to say she was considering writing her autobiography.

I think she is important because she is a very good example of the dangers of the courtship model, why people should avoid it, and how predators can sneak through even well-meaning parental controls.

Amber was so "mature" for her age she was courting at 15 with parental approval, married to an abuser at 16, and told to submit to the abuse by her church.  When parents Tracy and Vern found out about the abuse they encouraged Autumn to leave and divorce him.  I always admired that family's honesty about the mistakes they made and how they modified their beliefs after that experience.

Are there links/discussion threads somewhere about this?

5 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I looked up her facebook page the other day, I think she's public but I just glanced at it.  I kind of feel maternal towards her for some reason.  She seems to be doing very well, I think she graduated college. I'm really happy for her.

Along with being an example of the dangers of courtship, she is also an example of the dangers of early/young marriage. I'm glad that her parents were supportive and helped her when she needed it. But at the same time, they are the ones who allowed it in the first place.  I've always wondered if they really did any investigation of the guy when he wanted to court her, or if they just blindly followed the directives of the church they attended.

• Upvote 9

• Coconut Flan unpinned this topic