IGNORED

Fundie Divorces

Bethella

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Jill’s PS comment is nasty. She’s throwing her divorce in her face all while Shoshanna hasn’t even announced it publicly. 

I just came to see if anyone had shared this yet, and I am so here for it. Way to destroy another relationship, Jill (not to excuse Shoshanna. Her post is gross, homophobic, and mean, just like her whole miserable family). 

• Upvote 10

18 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

a lot previous photos & posts get deep-sixed.

She still has glam photos of them on her FB, but maybe that's in deference to her children, who still love Mom AND Dad. 

But yes, it's deceitful to pretend it's not happening, after strong successful marriage (JESUS!)  has been your entire moral stance and public facing persona since Day 1. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 9

11 minutes ago, Howl said:

She still has glam photos of them on her FB, but maybe that's in deference to her children, who still love Mom AND Dad.

Yes, and judging from James' FB, the kids see him regularly, which is a good thing. 

I'd cut Shoshanna more slack if so much of her (and her family's) public personae hadn't revolved around fundie Christian self-righteousness & hate-mongering. Live by the sword and all that.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

I can’t stand Shoshanna. She made tons of money off of poor stay at home moms trying to help support their families. All they ended up doing is supporting Shoshanna’s family. And she probably beats her kids. I can’t help but assume all Pearls beat their kids. It’s all they know.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

Jill's nasty. I mean, I hold no respect for Shoshanna either, but the general premise of Jill's comment is "don't take dating advice from a divorced woman, she didn't 'commit' hard enough". It's that kind of toxic crap that keeps conservative Christian women in miserable, sometimes abusive, relationships. I am forever grateful for the friend who, in the first days after my separation when I was agonising over whether I had done the wrong thing, said to me "you do not owe God - or your church - anything".

• Upvote 17
  • Love 14

Jill outing Shoshana divorce is awfull and also the implications about divorce being bad her comment has. But Shoshana is a big hypocrite posting that comment, she shares a lot of examples of young people who ended in divorce but conveniently lefts out the fact her own marriage ended in divorce and she didnt marry young. I can see why Jill was upset.

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, llucie said:

Jill outing Shoshana divorce is awfull and also the implications about divorce being bad her comment has. But Shoshana is a big hypocrite posting that comment, she shares a lot of examples of young people who ended in divorce but conveniently lefts out the fact her own marriage ended in divorce and she didnt marry young. I can see why Jill was upset.

I can see why Jill might be annoyed, but damn. She could have private messaged her or just scrolled on by. Instead she acted like the self righteous asshole we all know is Jill Rodrigues. 

With friends like Jill, who needs enemies? 

• Upvote 11
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Thank You 3

30 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Fundie catfights.

I had a colleague who used to say that his first rule of conflict was "Let the assholes get in a fight with each other." That seems to be what's happening here. 

Not surprisingly, Jill's comments have been removed from Shoshanna's FB post. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

In other news: Ben Brower has left his 3rd wife per her public FB after less than 2 years of marriage of which he was mostly deployed. I don't know why this guy keeps on marrying. Just stay single and have some fun, Ben!

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Thank You 5

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

I had a colleague who used to say that his first rule of conflict was "Let the assholes get in a fight with each other." That seems to be what's happening here. 

Screenshot 2021-03-24 9.57.25 AM.png

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Drunkenbutterfly said:

In other news: Ben Brower has left his 3rd wife per her public FB after less than 2 years of marriage of which he was mostly deployed. I don't know why this guy keeps on marrying. Just stay single and have some fun, Ben!

Probably because he was raised fundie. It’s drilled into his head that marriage equals happiness. I think he probably needs to work on his own issues before he gets married again. 

• Upvote 12

On 10/9/2021 at 5:02 AM, llucie said:

But Shoshana is a big hypocrite posting that comment, she shares a lot of examples of young people who ended in divorce but conveniently lefts out the fact her own marriage ended in divorce and she didnt marry young.

Actually, Shoshanna was 20 years old  when she married James, which means that they became a couple of some sort when she was 19. Mike & Debi Pearl both endorsed parental control of their adult children's love lives even if they didn't believe in the fundie courtship model. Fine if Shoshanna doesn't care to disclose her subsequent divorce, but she should at least have the honesty to acknowledge that she herself did what she's now telling others not to do.

OTOH, this par for the fundie course. Once more, with feeling: "Do as I say and not as I do."

• Upvote 19

6 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Actually, Shoshanna was 20 years old  when she married James, which means that they became a couple of some sort when she was 19. Mike & Debi Pearl both endorsed parental control of their adult children's love lives even if they didn't believe in the fundie courtship model. Fine if Shoshanna doesn't care to disclose her subsequent divorce, but she should at least have the honesty to acknowledge that she herself did what she's now telling others not to do.

OTOH, this par for the fundie course. Once more, with feeling: "Do as I say and not as I do."

Yes. TAM was anti-divorce until she needed on. Same for Gwen Shamblin. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

IIRC, Shoshanna and James had multiple marriage ceremonies, with the most recent a government sodomite (legal, registered w/ the state) marriage for tax and accounting purposes.  As things go along, I have to wonder if dissolving a legal marriage will offer better financial protection for Shoshanna in the long run and force them to have a formalized co-parenting arrangement. 

Is Shoshanna still spruiking Plexus?  Her fb has Plexus status in the past tense.  If their little farm is paid off, she could end up in pretty good shape financially as long as James is pulling in the big Plexus bucks and can pay child support. 

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

In which Shoshanna doubles down on giving parenting advice for adolescents & young adults. Still no mention of why she now appears to be a single parent, with no sign of James. 

Oh, and there's a special message for Jill:

615929746_JillRodriguesthismeansYOU.thumb.png.652a50864a56131f9839b887810d7622.png

• Haha 4
  • Thank You 4

37 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

In which Shoshanna doubles down on giving parenting advice for adolescents & young adults. Still no mention of why she now appears to be a single parent, with no sign of James. 

Re: Her fb post

TBH, she's not wrong in a lot (not everything) of what she says. It's practical advice:  spend time with the opposite sex, get to know yourself in the process by paying attention to what you admire and don't like in others and so forth, you'll make mistakes or not make mistakes, things change as kids mature and become more independent.  All kids are different, and how they go about these things will be different. 

What's important here is that she, the mother is assisting and guiding her son on how to navigate this phase of his life, NOT his father (patriarch?), or his grandfather, über patriarch Michael Pearl. 

There's a weird, tangled digression about prior sin tanking relationships that could be relevant.   As she's going on about this and that (basically, in life and relationships, shit happens), is she telegraphing her marital situation between the lines? It does seem like she's saying that things can be great until they aren't. 

I could read it again but pffffft. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

Oh, and there's a special message for Jill:

615929746_JillRodriguesthismeansYOU.thumb.png.652a50864a56131f9839b887810d7622.png

She deleted what look exactly like a genuine question about her marriage. But she deleted it pretty quickly. It seemed like the person had no clue they are divorcing. I bet a lot of her followers have no clue.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

She deleted what look exactly like a genuine question about her marriage. But she deleted it pretty quickly.

Surely she knows that people are wondering bigly about her marriage, so why share long posts about relationships/dating/courtship and their outcomes?  It invites questions about her own marriage; how can she not realize this?  

Has anyone snooped around in public records to see if there is an actual dissolution of marriage? 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Howl said:

What's important here is that she, the mother is assisting and guiding her son on how to navigate this phase of his life, NOT his father (patriarch?), or his grandfather, über patriarch Michael Pearl. 

There's a weird, tangled digression about prior sin tanking relationships that could be relevant. 

Agree on both counts. I suppose it's good that uber-mensch Mike Pearl is supportive of his (apparently) divorced daughter, but you know that neither he nor Debi would have any good words to say about an "unbeliever" or non-fundie in a similar situation. It would be total condemnation, 24-7-365.

And WTF, watching LHOP with a shirtless Michael Landon prancing in and out of each episode with its 1970s version of "woke" TV -- this is godly?

LHOP as a model of life.png

Edited by hoipolloi
Completed redaction
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

3 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

And WTF, watching LHOP with a shirtless Michael Landon prancing in and out of each episode with its 1970s version of "woke" TV -- this is godly?

Definitely. Fundies tend to like the show. The vast majority of fundies don’t like change. They don’t like progress. So a show that was woke 50 years ago is long enough ago for them to accept it. And 50 years from now, what is woke today, will finally be ok with them. Plus Michael Landon was openly Christian and liked to stick Christian stuff in the episodes. It’s right up their alley.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

My access to TV was extremely limited during parts of the 1970s, so I didn't get an eyeful of Michael Landon, but male modesty rules are different, donchaknow + hunk! + women aren't visual and sexual like The Menz, so...OK! 

ETA: One more thing, prairie dresses! 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3

Shoshanna's older brother, Nathan, has commented:

455644740_NathanPearlSpeaks.thumb.jpg.654f2b9335fd1ca229695c586848a449.jpg

Consider these comments in light of Shoshanna's & James' first "wedding" -- the covenant marriage "under the stars" with just the two of them.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 8

What a bizarre family dynamic. Although considering the source material (Debi and Mike), I guess not totally surprising.

• Upvote 8

Is Nathan's post a criticism of Shoshanna's approach with her son? And a condemnation of Shoshanna herself?  It seems he's flinging a LOT of heavy, harsh Bible fu her way and this   "when two people decide to have sex prior to marriage they have decided to display a lack of faith in God that will forever haunt their marriage."   Is Nathan alluding to this, which yes, came immediately to mind: 

3 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Shoshanna's & James' first "wedding" -- the covenant marriage "under the stars" with just the two of them.

Nathan pastors Crossroads Christian Fellowship in Kaua’i, Hawaii. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 6

• Coconut Flan unpinned this topic