Maxwell 32: Wearing Your Vest in 15 Minute Increments

Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

Thanks to @church_of_dog for the title.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 3

And what does Stevehovah base this house-buying law on? Some minor Biblical verse advising against debt? 

Sure, if you’re bound and determined to homeschool your kids, you can get a cheap house in an area where the school district is considered subpar. But then there’s the matter of the Manly Breadwinner supporting his family. What kinds of jobs exist in such an area? Oh, wait—the only really godly way to support a family is by being self-employed. Forget having the actual skills,  temperament, or wherewithal to do so. God will provide!

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Hane said:

And what does Stevehovah base this house-buying law on? Some minor Biblical verse advising against debt? 

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be."

Oh wait, that's Willy Wobblestick.

Nope, I got nothin'.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8

Ok maybe I was a little hasty. Apparently the bible does speak (sometimes negatively) of debt.

https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Being-In-Debt

Romans 13:8

Verse Concepts

Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.

Proverbs 22:7

Verse Concepts

The rich rules over the poor, And the borrower becomes the lender's slave.

Psalm 37:21

Verse Concepts

The wicked borrows and does not pay back, But the righteous is gracious and gives.

Matthew 6:24

Verse Concepts

"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other You cannot serve God and wealth.

Ecclesiastes 5:5

Verse Concepts

It is better that you should not vow than that you should vow and not pay.

Proverbs 21:5

Verse Concepts

The plans of the diligent lead surely to advantage, But everyone who is hasty comes surely to poverty.

Proverbs 13:11

Verse Concepts

Wealth obtained by fraud dwindles, But the one who gathers by labor increases it.

Deuteronomy 15:6

Verse Concepts

"For the LORD your God will bless you as He has promised you, and you will lend to many nations, but you will not borrow; and you will rule over many nations, but they will not rule over you.

Proverbs 17:18

Verse Concepts

A man lacking in sense pledges And becomes guarantor in the presence of his neighbor.

Deuteronomy 28:12

Verse Concepts

"The LORD will open for you His good storehouse, the heavens, to give rain to your land in its season and to bless all the work of your hand; and you shall lend to many nations, but you shall not borrow.

Proverbs 22:26-27

Do not be among those who give pledges, Among those who become guarantors for debts. If you have nothing with which to pay, Why should he take your bed from under you?

Deuteronomy 15:1-2

"At the end of every seven years you shall grant a remission of debts. "This is the manner of remission: every creditor shall release what he has loaned to his neighbor; he shall not exact it of his neighbor and his brother, because the LORD'S remission has been proclaimed.

Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise, Which, having no chief, Officer or ruler, Prepares her food in the summer And gathers her provision in the harvest.

Proverbs 27:12

Verse Concepts

A prudent man sees evil and hides himself, The naive proceed and pay the penalty.

Proverbs 27:23

Verse Concepts

Know well the condition of your flocks, And pay attention to your herds;

1 Corinthians 16:2

Verse Concepts

On the first day of every week each one of you is to put aside and save, as he may prosper, so that no collections be made when I come.

Psalm 112:5

Verse Concepts

It is well with the man who is gracious and lends; He will maintain his cause in judgment.

Ecclesiastes 5:10

Verse Concepts

He who loves money will not be satisfied with money, nor he who loves abundance with its income. This too is vanity.

Hebrews 13:5

Verse Concepts

Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU,"

Proverbs 22:26

Verse Concepts

Do not be among those who give pledges, Among those who become guarantors for debts.

Proverbs 11:15

Verse Concepts

He who is guarantor for a stranger will surely suffer for it, But he who hates being a guarantor is secure.

Romans 13:7

Verse Concepts

Render to all what is due them: tax to whom tax is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honor to whom honor.

Matthew 6:31-33

"Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?' "For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

Philippians 4:11-13

Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

Exodus 22:14

Verse Concepts

"If a man borrows anything from his neighbor, and it is injured or dies while its owner is not with it, he shall make full restitution.

Deuteronomy 28:1

Verse Concepts

"Now it shall be, if you diligently obey the LORD your God, being careful to do all His commandments which I command you today, the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations of the earth.

1 Timothy 6:10

Verse Concepts

For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

Luke 14:28

Verse Concepts

"For which one of you, when he wants to build a tower, does not first sit down and calculate the cost to see if he has enough to complete it?

Proverbs 13:22

Verse Concepts

A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children, And the wealth of the sinner is stored up for the righteous.

Matthew 5:42

Verse Concepts

"Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.

Romans 6:23

Verse Concepts

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

--------------------------------

Some of these need a LOT of stretch to accommodate Steve's views, but I think Steve has a very elastic interpretation of scripture.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

I suppose if you're not getting a mortgage you don't need an appraisal for value that the bank can reject or require repairs, so you could buy a delapitated house and "fix it up". If you borrow collateral must equal or best the risk. 

Also, as everyone has chimed in, where you live matters. According to Realtor.com, Leavenworth homes are freaking cheap. At least compared to SE Wisconsin. They seem to have a lot of split levels for less than $150 - and that's what the three last Maxwell boys have purchased. I suppose an employed, non-rent paying stay at home son could save that up in a few years. But, they also purchase run down houses they "fix up" so no doubt they're spending way less than that $150 to buy. 

But the fact remains, Steve thinks his way - in his bubble - is "the" way that everyone should strive for. Discounting where he lives, where his son's buy, their economy, their cost of living, etc. 

• Upvote 14

11 hours ago, louannems said:

Medium price is $440 in my small city (pop:120K), 40 minutes from Seattle.

That goes a long way to explain the gridlocks that is I5 and I405--working people using a good chunk of their waking hours to get to and from a home they still can't really afford. According to KUOW, as of last Fall the median price of a house in Seattle was $750,000. On the Eastside*,  $890,000.

*relatively affluent suburbs surrounding the original Microsoft campuses.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, fundiefan said:

But the fact remains, Steve thinks his way - in his bubble - is "the" way that everyone should strive for. Discounting where he lives, where his son's buy, their economy, their cost of living, etc. 

So many fundies seem to think this way - they seem to desperately want EVERYONE to do things exactly the way they do them. 

It never seems to occur to them that if everyone did choose one of the many different fundies to follow, the world would quickly fall apart. And of course, if that happened, then they would no longer be "special" and would have to find some other way to be better than everyone else. 

Steve thinks his way is the only way. Which is ridiculous, because with all the world's marriageable daughters sitting at home waiting for the impossibility of finding someone perfect enough for Steve, humans would go extinct pretty quickly.

Also, wow I'm glad I live where I do. My (admittedly very small) house was about $80,000 when I bought it, and has gone up in value some since. My mortgage payment is less than rent would be!

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

Oh gosh....

Buying a House Debt-Free it in the car while you are driving and make windshield time beneficial. 

Bad Johnhugh

but this poster did suggest it without penguins 

1EE5F9B3-F0F6-4FC5-9E3D-C28EB50F479E.png

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 10
  • Thank You 2

I don’t understand how having Jim Bob indorse their boom is a good thing. JB gifted his kids homes. None of them bought anything. John David did get a house from a bank for doing some kind of work but I don’t know if he still has it. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Where I live a debt-free house is very do-able. $!00 buys a VERY nice house on a decent lot. Remember, this group also believes in family businesses so they are all always working together. They do not hold jobs unless it is with a like-minded employer (there are some who do--but only the men, and only rarely). They are also fond of living where they can have a huge garden and some isolation. Seattle, Portland, S.F., NYC--not really their turf! lol.

One of the few things I DO admire of Gothard and Gothard-ish folks IS that they reject debt. We can rise up and say that leasing an office for a family business or similar IS debt, but we don't know--maybe they pay on an annual basis. Same with having a phone.  The point is they do everything possible to not have debt. 

THAT SAID, I'm missing the girls! No CREW updates!  I'm still wildly hoping for an engagement for one of them out of this trip.  ?

• Upvote 4

The median house price where I live (Long Island, NY) is $542,700. We also rank in the top five on the list of counties with the highest taxes in the nation. Factor in utilities and insurance and good luck buying a house and then living debt free here, Steve-o.

As for Jim Boob, didn't TLC step in to help them finish the TTH, which was still unfinished years after building began? And I'd be real curious to know how the Duggars would have fared without The Beast stepping in and giving them a platform. I doubt anyone would have asked JB to endorse a candidate for dog catcher, let alone shill a book about buying a house debt free.

Edited by sparkles
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 5

In other news about Fundie directives on how to live life, Josh Harris (the promoter of 'courtship') and his wife are separating.  Yes, he has been stepping back from the strident message he sold 20+ years ago, but it's just one more way that the awful model the Maxborg machine promotes is proven to be a failure.

• Upvote 6

Stevehovah has been pretty open in the past that his advice is for Christians(tm). He knows there's no way everyone can do this, but he doesn't care. 

Honestly, fundies know the world wouldn't work if everyone lived like them, and they are okay with that. They talk a lot about saving souls, but they truly don't care if other people go to hell. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Sarah has a new post about Ellie.  

https://blog.titus2.com/2019/07/19/ellies-recovery/

If that blog post had been an English 101 assignment,  Sarah would have gotten an F.  The subject of the first sentence in the second paragraph is puppies and not Ellie.  Puppies is plural and so requires a plural form of the verb.  Puppies are, but Ellie is.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

"Although puppies for Ellie is no longer a possibility, and I am disappointed" 

I thought I'd taken what Sarah wrote above and rewrite it.

Ellie is no longer able to have puppies and I am disappointed that she cannot be exploited for monetary gain.

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 2
  • Love 3

I am very glad Ellie is well on the road to recovery, and am relieved for Sarah.

But I feel Sarah is being very dishonest when she says her dream was to raise puppies when her site, kansasgoldens.com is right there for the world to see.  It's very obvious she hadn't any plans to raise any future puppies, a least not past the weaning stage.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 2

I hope that Kansas Goldens website is taken down cuz God has closed Ellie's womb for good.  I hope Coward Steve doesn't make Poor Sarah get rid of Ellie now that she is barren.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

10 hours ago, SPHASH said:

I hope that Kansas Goldens website is taken down cuz God has closed Ellie's womb for good.  I hope Coward Steve doesn't make Poor Sarah get rid of Ellie now that she is barren.

I bet they get another female dog and breed from her instead. For Sarah, because it's all about the babies and $$$ as compensation for her sad loss.

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

The atrocious writing aside (read, Sarah, read!), I felt even worse for Sarah when she said she realizes that others are facing much larger issues. It took me a very long time to learn this (a life changing injury at 32 finally drove it home), but just because something could be worse doesn’t mean it isn’t bad. Sure, there are many worse things happening to people around the world every single day, but that doesn’t mean she’s not allowed to admit that dreams crushed are pretty tough to take and to allow herself some personal grieving time without feeling guilty about it. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

I need someone to explain to me for what job a graduate of  SOTDRT is qualified. What can they do that will allow them to make enough money to save to a house outright? Most of these people seem to be in small towns and I don’t see the type of jobs they are qualified for being in abundance in those areas. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

"Although puppies for Ellie is no longer a possibility, and I am disappointed, that is nothing compared to..."

I thought Sarah would end this sentence with:

"... how much Ellie suffered and how grateful we are that she is still alive." That would have been a nice post for Ellie.

Nope, instead she minimizes her dog's hysterectomy by comparing it to friends losing their child or having advanced cancer. Her social intelligence is truly abysmal. I would be pissed if I were those friends for being compared to a dog. And Ellie should also be pissed at Sarah for being a greedy breeder wanting to make 10K from puppy sales. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic