IGNORED

Jana 9: So, What is Jana (and her Instagram) Being Primed For and Why?

HerNameIsBuffy

6 hours ago, Grace said:

Nah these folks nickname everyone. One of the Laurens will have or get a nickname and they'll call her LaLa or Lo or something totally random that doesn't make any sense

LC if they want to reminisce back to the days of Laguna Beach and The Hills ?

• Haha 3

Didn't Lauren's younger sister (Libby? Lilly?) Refer to her as lor or lah or something like that? I felt like I heard it when she announced her first pregnancy but it was quick and I could have been wrong. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/21/2019 at 6:54 AM, fluffernutter said:

Random name story: I have two uncles and one aunt and all of them divorced their spouses. One was married to a Joan, and married another Joan. The other was married to a Sue and got re-married to a different Sue. One was married to a Steve, and married another Steve. I was little when all this happened, so I thought that once you got married you had to stick with the same name even if you got divorced. ?

This is so funny.  My second husband (the good one, lol) has the same name as my dad. 

• Upvote 4

On 9/21/2019 at 4:54 AM, fluffernutter said:

Random name story: I have two uncles and one aunt and all of them divorced their spouses. One was married to a Joan, and married another Joan. The other was married to a Sue and got re-married to a different Sue. One was married to a Steve, and married another Steve. I was little when all this happened, so I thought that once you got married you had to stick with the same name even if you got divorced. ?

How convenient...when my BIL divorced, then had a long term GF, dumped her after she raised his kids, and finally married someone else, another BIL called the new wife the old GF’s name at our annual Christmas party. He said it multiple times as we were attempting to take a family photo! I think all the women there almost died, collectively.

• Upvote 5

On 9/23/2019 at 11:29 PM, LacyMay said:

Didn't Lauren's younger sister (Libby? Lilly?) Refer to her as lor or lah or something like that? I felt like I heard it when she announced her first pregnancy but it was quick and I could have been wrong. 

I think it was the first younger sister, Lily? called her "Lau". it sounded kind of weird to me, just unexpected xD

• I Agree 1

I'm probably too old to live. At least until my (ancient) generation, Irish-Americans named their children after parents, other relatives and favorite saints. So there is tons of overlap, and I don't think anyone every thought that your name had to be the only one in the family. If I meet an Irish-American with my name, Patricia, of at least baby boomer age or even maybe the next one, I can be pretty sure they have a sister named Mary and one that is either Kathleen or Teresa. My dad, brother and first husband are all John, as is my sister's husband, son, father-in-law and grandfather-in-law. My second husband was Steve and so is one of my brothers. We call my brother named John Jackie, and my brother (two first cousins also are Tim) married a female Jackie. I have a sister and two cousins who are Kathleen, numerous cousins who are John, there are at least five Toms. My father and one brother were Jerry and my sister Mary also married a Jerry. When my mom named one kid a name she just liked they all freaked--where did you get THAT?
But everybody still seems to know who we all are.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, patsymae said:

I'm probably too old to live. At least until my (ancient) generation, Irish-Americans named their children after parents, other relatives and favorite saints. So there is tons of overlap, and I don't think anyone every thought that your name had to be the only one in the family. If I meet an Irish-American with my name, Patricia, of at least baby boomer age or even maybe the next one, I can be pretty sure they have a sister named Mary and one that is either Kathleen or Teresa. My dad, brother and first husband are all John, as is my sister's husband, son, father-in-law and grandfather-in-law. My second husband was Steve and so is one of my brothers. We call my brother named John Jackie, and my brother (two first cousins also are Tim) married a female Jackie. I have a sister and two cousins who are Kathleen, numerous cousins who are John, there are at least five Toms. My father and one brother were Jerry and my sister Mary also married a Jerry. When my mom named one kid a name she just liked they all freaked--where did you get THAT?

We are INFESTED with Josephs, any form of Katherine/Kathleen - in a few spellings and their diminutives, Elizabeths, Marys, Pattys, Jameses, and so on, but we all usually know who’s who and which is being referred to.

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, patsymae said:

My husband’s family is from Ireland. Thy are all Mary, Joseph, John, Elizabeth and Brendan. Every.damn.family. so they are Johnny Joe (dad’s name), Johnny Jer, Mary Denis, Mary John... It can be maddening!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

On 9/27/2019 at 5:28 PM, patsymae said:

In large southern US families, there is also often a lot of overlap, though not as much in the last two or three generations.  I am named after a grandmother, and my children have family names. My son's first name is after his grandfather, and his middle name is my maiden name, which is nice since we no longer have the same last name.  My daughter and I share a middle name.  My grandmother named several children after siblings and her parents, as did her own siblings.  Weird that there is no overlap in a single generation, though, as many of us as there are, but there are several uncles who share names with nephews and aunts who share names with nieces. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, QuiverDance said:

In large southern US families, there is also often a lot of overlap, though not as much in the last two or three generations.  I am named after a grandmother, and my children have family names. My son's first name is after his grandfather, and his middle name is my maiden name, which is nice since we no longer have the same last name.  My daughter and I share a middle name.  My grandmother named several children after siblings and her parents, as did her own siblings.  Weird that there is no overlap in a single generation, though, as many of us as there are, but there are several uncles who share names with nephews and aunts who share names with nieces. 

Yep. Genealogy has been a nightmare. Every family had the same names for several generations, with only a slight variation in spelling. My parents generation... Well there were two male names. Two!! For all of my uncles and my father, both by marriage and by birth. Even when aunt's got divorced, one went from husband name 1 to husband name 2 and the other husband name 2 to husband name 1. It was all normal growing up and I somehow never got anyone confused and Gnome Offspring haven't had a problem.

I think my generation is the first to not have much overlap, though I and one (second?) cousin share the same first name and our middle names have the same first letter. I believe we are the only ones. My mom swears she had no idea her cousin used the same name. I am not sure I believe this since they grew up like sisters and I was born over 5 years after the other. When naming Gnome Offspring any name that was the same as another relations, even by marriage was automatically off the list as were names of friend's and their children within our social circle. 

• Upvote 5

23 minutes ago, Gnomewizard said:

Yep. Genealogy has been a nightmare. Every family had the same names for several generations, with only a slight variation in spelling. My parents generation... Well there were two male names. Two!! For all of my uncles and my father, both by marriage and by birth. Even when aunt's got divorced, one went from husband name 1 to husband name 2 and the other husband name 2 to husband name 1. It was all normal growing up and I somehow never got anyone confused and Gnome Offspring haven't had a problem.

I think my generation is the first to not have much overlap, though I and one (second?) cousin share the same first name and our middle names have the same first letter. I believe we are the only ones. My mom swears she had no idea her cousin used the same name. I am not sure I believe this since they grew up like sisters and I was born over 5 years after the other. When naming Gnome Offspring any name that was the same as another relations, even by marriage was automatically off the list as were names of friend's and their children within our social circle. 

My maternal grandfather is the one side that is not Jewish. Dang if those guys weren't all named Joseph or James. My grandfather is James. My great-grandfather is Joseph. His father was James, etc., etc. on back. 

• Upvote 2

Kind of thought Jana was not like her other sisters. Her and Jill were clones when they were little. Until you zoom this looks exactly like jessa. I also see a lot of jessa in joy. Especially when she was a bridesmaid (maybe joes) from a distance she also looked like jessa. Jason is the boy clone of Jessa. 

Im weird, I like how genetics play out in families with their looks. 19 kids is good because there are so many variations to compare. 

Anyway just my thoughts when I saw this pic.  

756819D5-A980-477E-B4C9-C2EC445C6587.png

• I Agree 8

So in other news Jana is super racist

From Jana's text: 4. Major John Wesley was the first person to explore the Grand Canyon in 1869 by the way of the Colorado River.

From wikipedia's Grand Canyon entry: For thousands of years, the area has been continuously inhabited by Native Americans, who built settlements within the canyon and its many caves. The Pueblo people considered the Grand Canyon a holy site, and made pilgrimages to it.[10] The first European known to have viewed the Grand Canyon was García López de Cárdenas from Spain, who arrived in 1540.[11]

So I guess both Native Americans and Hispanics aren't considered people?  I'm descended from Natives and Hispanics who lived in Arizona and New Mexico for a long time before Anglos came.  Jana can fuck right off with that revisionist history. 

• Upvote 29

@lumpentheologie Maybe she meant first person to explore the Canyon "by the way of the Colorado River", i.e. not the first to ever explore the canyon, but the first to travel on the river through the canyon?

Which probably still wouldn't be true, but... yeah... somehow a little less offensive?

Not sure what my point is. I think I just always hold out hope that people are not truly as stupid or bad as they appear.

• Upvote 10

1 minute ago, SweetJuly said:

@lumpentheologie Maybe she meant first person to explore the Canyon "by the way of the Colorado River", i.e. not the first to ever explore the canyon, but the first to travel on the river through the canyon?

Which probably still wouldn't be true, but... yeah... somehow a little less offensive?

Not sure what my point is. I think I just always hold out hope that people are not truly as stupid or bad as they appear.

Yeah, a few people have taken her to task about this in the comments and someone suggested this and then someone else responded with examples of other Europeans who went up the river before that.  

But the sentence doesn't really even support that reading, I think. Grammatically, if "by way of the Colorado River" qualifies "explore" then "in 1869" should qualify it too...so then she would be saying that Wesley was the first person to go up the river to the canyon in 1869.  Not really much of an accomplishment there. 

If this were an isolated incident I'd give her the benefit of the doubt too, but erasing the history of Native Americans and Hispanics in the American southwest is a pillar of racist revisionist history.  It's exactly what leads to the shooter in El Paso saying he's trying to stem the "invasion" of Hispanics into American (read: white) territory.  I have Hispanic ancestors who were in what's now the American southwest decades before the Mayflower landed, and yet my family is told to "go back where we came from." 

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Oh Jana, SODRT strikes again.

John Wesley was the pastor in England whose heart was strangely warmed who was the founder of the Methodist Church. John Wesley Powell was the guy who led the expedition down the Colorado River. As I recall, he lost an arm in the Civil War. There's a really interesting book called Down the Great Unknown that talks about the Powell expedition. And to echo what people said above, Powell didn't discover anything that wasn't already there and hadn't already been visited by others.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6

On 9/27/2019 at 6:28 PM, patsymae said:

Wait, is your dad named John or Jerry?

It all sounds fun but I'm happy to be from a small family with no repeated names. Our weird thing (though not me) is going by your middle name. My grandma didn't know she was Ethel Grace (not just Grace) until she had to get some government ID at 18!

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

Wait, is your dad named John or Jerry?

It all sounds fun but I'm happy to be from a small family with no repeated names. Our weird thing (though not me) is going by your middle name. My grandma didn't know she was Ethel Grace (not just Grace) until she had to get some government ID at 18!

My dad was named Jerry (as were his father and his first son), and then he died and my mother married a John (Jack), whose oldest son was also named John and called Jack. His two oldest daughters (my stepsisters but were little when the remarriage happened so just consider my sisters) married a John (whose father and grandfather were also John, named their son John and all lived on the same block) and a Jerry.
Appropos of probably nothing, I have two sons, one of whom I had as a teenager and who was adopted (we are now in reunion).) Before the two knew each other, each named their son Ian (another John and chosen because the respective families were already crawling with Johns, Jacks and Seans). Also, I am Patricia Mary and my step-sister is Mary Patricia. Both of us were called Patti and she had to change to Marypat (as a teenager I called dibs).

It wasn't until I lived in the south for a while that I found out some people think it's strange to refer to your brothers and sisters as "our John/Jack/Kathy/Mary/Tim/Jerry/Pat" and cousins, uncles and aunts by their first and last names in casual conversation.

If I were your mother, I would have gone by Grace also. Must say that although we have an Aunt Ethel and an Aunt Edna, those are two names that eluded the tradition LOL.

Edited by patsymae
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

And now Jana is being preachy on IG-

so maybe I shouldn't comment because I don't follow her on IG, but Jana has always seemed to me to be quite content to be a mini-Jchelle, just with better hair.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Jana and Laura's relationship is so weird. Like, who takes so many pics of their best friend? Lots of people take pictures with their best friend, but Laura takes so many pics of just Jana. And Jana never seems to take pics with any friends other than Laura. 

I mean, maybe it's just another weird fundie thing I don't understand,  but it's just so strange. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

Jana (and I guess the rest of the fam), is in Vegas... on a Friday evening

I wonder how many Nike! things they’ll see lol

B501E9C7-FC5E-4357-84A8-7F8E99BF7C1F.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8

25 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Jana (and I guess the rest of the fam), is in Vegas... on a Friday evening

I wonder how many Nike! things they’ll see lol

B501E9C7-FC5E-4357-84A8-7F8E99BF7C1F.jpeg

Such an unexpected vacation choice for them. Do they plan to walk around blindfolded? How long can Josh stay out of trouble there?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, TZmom said:

Jana and Laura's relationship is so weird. Like, who takes so many pics of their best friend? Lots of people take pictures with their best friend, but Laura takes so many pics of just Jana. And Jana never seems to take pics with any friends other than Laura. 

I mean, maybe it's just another weird fundie thing I don't understand,  but it's just so strange. 

I think they see it similar to a job or work. They are obviously trying to create a brand of some sort and they take pictures of each other because of that. Not as much because they are besties. I see Instagram for what it is these days. A way to make money. And evenfundies are getting in on it.

32 minutes ago, TZmom said:

Such an unexpected vacation choice for them. Do they plan to walk around blindfolded? How long can Josh stay out of trouble there?

I’ve never been to Vegas. But from what others tell me, you can stay family friendly during the day. So they could do family friendly activities around Vegas and then hide in their hotel in the evening. 

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think they see it similar to a job or work. They are obviously trying to create a brand of some sort and they take pictures of each other because of that. Not as much because they are besties. I see Instagram for what it is these days. A way to make money. And evenfundies are getting in on it.

I’ve never been to Vegas. But from what others tell me, you can stay family friendly during the day. So they could do family friendly activities around Vegas and then hide in their hotel in the evening. 

My husband and I go to Vegas roughly every two years. While there are plenty of family-friendly things to do, they aren't going to be able to avoid seeing a ton of "Nike" things.

• Upvote 7

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic