IGNORED

Melanie Maxwell Baby Update: Deborah Carol Is Here

mango_fandango

8 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

I'm glad someone else has the same sickness that I do. I also came up with a pet name selection for the theoretical next Melanie and Nathan spawn!

Girl: Esther Glory

Boy: Caleb Emmanuel

I'll go on the record here and say that IF they have another baby, and IF it's a boy, I'll bake and eat a raspberry shame pie if they don't name it "Caleb". It's utterly inevitable. 

How on earth did I forget about "Esther"? I change my bet now. That's definitely the most likely. "Eunice" is fuddy-duddy even for the Maxwells and "Eden" probably too racy. 

Definitely "Caleb" if it's a boy. I can't even think of another option. "Cephas" or "Cleopas"? I still think "Elijah" or "Ezra" for a middle name. 

Now if it happened to be female twins, I don't know what they would do because there aren't any Biblical "F" names. For twin boys they can use "Daniel" or "David."

I need a life...

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

Esther is one of my favorite names.  If I'd had another girl, that most likely would have been her name.  Claudia Esther, actually. :)

One of my girls has a very old-fashioned name, both first and middle.  When she was born 21 years ago, it was REALLY unusual; not so much any more.  She's a quiet introverted old soul, so it's always suited her well.

• Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

Esther is one of my favorite names.  If I'd had another girl, that most likely would have been her name.  Claudia Esther, actually. :)

One of my girls has a very old-fashioned name, both first and middle.  When she was born 21 years ago, it was REALLY unusual; not so much any more.  She's a quiet introverted old soul, so it's always suited her well.

I named my new kitty Esther. My boyfriend looked at me like I'm crazy but I've always like the name as well. I love the name Claudia. Probably heavily influenced by all of the Baby-Sitters Club book I read growing up. Lol

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

I thought Deborah is always pronounced basically like Debra, I never heard of "De-BOR-ah." Although come to think of it, I have heard people pronounce it with three syllables, but it's more like "DEB-er-ah."

• I Agree 4

11 minutes ago, meee said:

I thought Deborah is always pronounced basically like Debra, I never heard of "De-BOR-ah." Although come to think of it, I have heard people pronounce it with three syllables, but it's more like "DEB-er-ah."

I had a friend growing up who was a Debra. Very unfortunately, bulllies figured out that her name could be read as "De-Bra." Her last name could also be loosely connected to a slang term for breasts, so it was just...so unfortunate and so mean. 

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Sad 7

9 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I had a friend growing up who was a Debra. Very unfortunately, bulllies figured out that her name could be read as "De-Bra." Her last name could also be loosely connected to a slang term for breasts, so it was just...so unfortunate and so mean. 

This is why I prefer the spellings of Deborah and Barbara. I’ve seen both Debra and Barbra. 

• Upvote 5

Could have always gone with Drusilla or Dalmatia. I think I like Delilah best, though. Out of the "D" bible name choices. Or Dorah. Of course, I'd never force myself into some sort of patterned baby name situation; why not just pick names based on what feels right? 

I've never heard it pronounced De BOR ah, just Deb-rah and deb-er-ah. Interesting.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Could have always gone with Drusilla or Dalmatia. I think I like Delilah best, though. Out of the "D" bible name choices. Or Dorah. Of course, I'd never force myself into some sort of patterned baby name situation; why not just pick names based on what feels right? 

I've never heard it pronounced De BOR ah, just Deb-rah and deb-er-ah. Interesting.  

My default pronunciation of "Deborah" is Deb-rah, unless and until I'm corrected. 

• Upvote 2

I have only heard Deborah pronounced with the accent in the middle when it's the more Hebrew-sounding Devorah.  I have heard/seen that name in the context of Orthodox Judaism.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I think Deborah is an excellent name for a Maxwell.  After all, she is going to be raised to judge people.  I expect it will devolve into Debbie soon.  Mmm, cookies.

I hope they don't force Little-Debbie-Cookie to grow up into a Big-Debbie-Downer, like Teri.

And to me Deborah should be pronounced Deb-er-ah.  Stress on the first syllable. 

I've missed weeks of Maxwell news.  They so seldom have any.   I wonder what else has been going on in Maxhell recently.  :wanders off to look:: 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

23 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Growing up, many of my friends had middle names of Lynn, Ann, Marie, or Jo.

same here, along with Elizabeth.  easily half of the girls in my high school had Lynn, Ann, or Marie.  my own middle name is not one of these, and as common as my first name was, i've known only about three or four other people with my middle name, and none of them had the same first name as me.  

1 hour ago, Dru said:

I named my new kitty Esther. 

i once had a bunny named Esther.  (get it?)

• Haha 7
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

For all the Deborah's out there, how do you pronounce it?  My Mother insisted I am  Da Bore Ah (emphasis on the Bore) and not Debra.   

Pronounced Debra (or Deb-er-ah if I'm saying it slowly). The lady at Starbucks today called me Da Bore Ah and I almost didn't get my drink because I didn't think she was talking to me. I've only known one Deborah who pronounced i like that, and she spelled it De'Borah.

Edited by deborahlynn1979
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, danvillebelle said:

I have only heard Deborah pronounced with the accent in the middle when it's the more Hebrew-sounding Devorah.  I have heard/seen that name in the context of Orthodox Judaism.

My mother’s work assistant name is Debra she goes by Debby & her Hebrew name is Deborah. 

• Upvote 1

I appreciate the Claudia love on here! :kitty-wink:It’s weird to think it’s a name mentioned in the Bible. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m hoping this is Mel’s final baby since she’s 44. 

She's 43, but yeah. She averages a baby every a little over 2 years. She'd be 45 by the time she'd have another baby, so not very likely. 

I'm sure they will hold out hope, though. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Could have always gone with Drusilla

This poor kid is gonna have a bleak enough life as it is. Can we not saddle her with the name "Drusilla"? ?

(Drusilla, Dorcas, and Eunice really do fit the Maxwell "brand" though.)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On May 14, 2019 at 10:25 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

There’s this weird rule on name cycles. Deborah, Linda, and Sandra aren’t ready to come back yet. They likely will. But not right now. The generation before those women are the ones coming back. The mother’s of Deborah, Linda, and Sandra are the ones with names coming back in style. 

You got my mom and one aunt's names there! Their mothers name? Carol!

On May 14, 2019 at 11:30 AM, Hane said:

And it’ll be a few years until we see the Donnas, Sharons, Janets, etc. of the ‘50s and ‘60s start showing up again

And you got my other aunt's name! And my sister's name, she was born in the late 70's though.

On May 14, 2019 at 1:27 PM, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

Her signature is spelled "Kathryn," which now reads very 1980s to me!

The only Kathryn I've known was my already-elderly junior high art teacher, back in the late 80s

On May 14, 2019 at 1:40 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Growing up, many of my friends had middle names of Lynn, Ann, Marie, or Jo. Nowadays it seems the most popular middle name is Grace. 

And you got the middle names for me and both my sisters, born in the 70s. I tell people we got the three "default" middle names - Lynn, Ann(e), and Marie.

4 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Now if it happened to be female twins, I don't know what they would do because there aren't any Biblical "F" names. For twin boys they can use "Daniel" or "David."

They'd probably go with Faith and Fidelity, or something similar like that. 

3 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Could have always gone with Drusilla

That's one of my favorites, my cat was named Drusilla. She was so sweet, I miss her.

44 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I appreciate the Claudia love on here! :kitty-wink:It’s weird to think it’s a name mentioned in the Bible. 

And if I ever get another girl cat, Claudia is top of the name list, if it suits her (followed by Divia, Jannette, Star and Madeleine). Drusilla was a black cat, and her brother was named Spike. I have a sort of vampire theme going on. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 3

17 hours ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

For all the Deborah's out there, how do you pronounce it?  My Mother insisted I am  Da Bore Ah (emphasis on the Bore) and not Debra.   

The Deborahs that I know pronounce it as DEB awe ruh.  The name means "bee" as I've been told by one of them. I asked her if it really meant "bitch," and she replied, " if the shoe fits! "

• Upvote 3

On 5/14/2019 at 10:14 AM, Jana814 said:

I hear Emma all the time. I watch a dog named Emma & I have a new client who’s daughter is named Emma. The first time I ever heard that name was on the TV show Degrassi Junior High. I’m in New Jersey they use to have the show on PBS.   

Yeah, I remember when Spike gave birth to Baby Emma on the original Degrassi. I thought it was weird that someone as cool as Spike would choose an old lady name for her baby. No one else was naming their kid Emma then (although Emily was making its comeback at around that time). I figured maybe it was a Canadian thing.

As for Deborah/Debbie, it was still a pretty common name at the time I was born in the late 1960s (but there were more Jennifers, Lisas, and Michelles by that point). But Debbie had a certain hip factor because of Debbie Harry from Blondie.

Edited by FloraDoraDolly
  • Upvote 6

I used to be get swimming lessons from someone called Debbie. I remember she had short (bob-style, or maybe shoulder length) blonde hair and she was really nice. Dunno how old I was. She was probably around forty odd but obviously I have no idea. I think my brother then went into her class at one point. 

The common names when I was at school were Jessica, Charlotte, Alice. 

Emma is also quite popular in Germany right now. 

• Upvote 2

Anecdote-when Alice Roosevelt daughter of President Teddy was married to Speaker of the House Nicholas Longworth she had an affair with Senator William Borah of Idaho and got pregnant by him.  To rub it in her husband's face Alice wanted to name the baby Deborah and pronounce it De-borah.  She ended up naming the baby Paulina.

Edited by SPHASH
Spelling
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Definitely "Caleb" if it's a boy. I can't even think of another option. "Cephas" or "Cleopas"? I still think "Elijah" or "Ezra" for a middle name

Cyrus!! I have no idea why I like the idea of that name so much, but there you have it. Cy Maxwell.

9 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Triplets could be Faith, Fidelity and Fortitude?

Also Dinah was an option for D,  I knew there was another one I'd found and liked! 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

Anecdote-when Alice Roosevelt daughter of President Teddy was married to Speaker of the House Nicholas Longworth she had an affair with Senator William Borah of Idaho and got pregnant by him.  To rub it in her husband's face Alice wanted to name the baby Deborah and pronounce it De-borah.  She ended up naming the baby Paulina.

And Alice was never called Alice in her own family because her mother (who had died shortly after her birth) was also named Alice and Teddy grieved for her so much he couldn't bear for the name to be uttered in his presence.

So rename her, President dumbass....she was weeks old, not like she had already used it professionally.

They called her Baby Lee and her stepmom (bitch) and half siblings called her "Sister."

Just excited someone else throwing out Alice Roosevelt trivia!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2