Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Coconut Flan

Dillards 75: Keep the Food Out of the Bathroom

Recommended Posts

HereticHick

I'm so curious about how Instagram product placement for a D-List celebrity (Jill) working with a small company (Citrus and Lemon).  Does she just get to keep (or resell) the items of clothing they mail to her, as long as she does a sponsor post?

Is that the extent of the business relationship, or do we think she gets some sort of percentage cut from any clothing sales that happen using her special discount code?  

Would she be getting any other $$ from Citrus and Lemon, like a flat fee per post? I can't imagine that this company has very deep pockets. 

I'm just trying to figure out how much she might be making per week doing a couple of posts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wine time!
Snarkasarus Rex

I think Jill succeeds at this C&L gig solely because she has a lot of followers and is a prolific poster.  She better watch out for Jana, tho. I bet Jana will eventually have more followers and her IG presence is much more polished.  

However, I am surprised they haven't given her any 'suggestions' on how to wear their clothes.  Or maybe they have and she's ignored them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Georgiana
1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

I'm so curious about how Instagram product placement for a D-List celebrity (Jill) working with a small company (Citrus and Lemon).  Does she just get to keep (or resell) the items of clothing they mail to her, as long as she does a sponsor post?

Is that the extent of the business relationship, or do we think she gets some sort of percentage cut from any clothing sales that happen using her special discount code?  

Would she be getting any other $$ from Citrus and Lemon, like a flat fee per post? I can't imagine that this company has very deep pockets. 

I'm just trying to figure out how much she might be making per week doing a couple of posts.

They probably let her keep the clothes (if she wears them again and they show up in a published image, that's free publicity for them and there's an additional cost to them if they were to try and process/resell anything she's worn), but the most common compensation method for sponsored posts is a flat fee for the post.  They likely evaluated her social media presence before bringing her on, offered her a fee per post based upon her presence, defined the terms of posting, and signed.  

Influencer rates can be shockingly high, and Jill actually does have a pretty decent presence from her popularity from the show.  Not only that, but there's always a chance her posts will be picked up by a larger media outlet, which brings additional attention to her social media not reflected in her follower count.  She's likely not commanding the same rate as Jessa, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn her rate is still pretty good.  

The only reason I know any of this is because it's come up a few times in the Bravo communities I frequent, and people who are familiar with the industry have broken down how it works.  So this is all second hand, but I'd be pretty comfortable in a guess that the Dillard finances are primary supported by Jill right now, and that she's commanding at least in the high hundreds to the low thousands per post (for comparison, the Kardashians can command in the 6 figures to 1M per post depending).   This may sound unbelievably high, but keep in mind that it does resolve the mystery of the Dillard finances and is a more likely explanation than many others.  And Jill has a lot going for her on paper:  high follower count, high follower engagement (some people buy followers to inflate their rates, so follower engagement is important), and her posts are frequently picked up and featured in other media outlets, bringing additional attention to her page.  She looks very good up front, and she likely commanded a decent rate.  Even small businesses can have a pretty sizable advertising budget, and people can make a decent living these days JUST from being high profile Instagram influencers without any of the additional publicity Jill has.  

But I think that if she doesn't improve the quality of her posts, she will be dropped, have her rate renegotiated, and/or have trouble getting additional sponsored posts. 

  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HarleyQuinn

The follower count works in her favour but I can't wrap my head over anyone who thinks her social media looks good. None of her posts are aesthetically appealing and she makes all the clothes look like trash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Georgiana
Just now, HarleyQuinn said:

The follower count works in her favour but I can't wrap my head over anyone who thinks her social media looks good. None of her posts are aesthetically appealing and she makes all the clothes look like trash. 

Absolutely agree.  Which is why she's likely not getting as much per post as she could be, doesn't have as many sponsors as she could have, and will likely struggle to retain companies who want to work with her.

But if she's willing to make the posts for the cheaper end of the market, the fact that she has a high follower count AND is one of the more watched Duggar social medias (she gets attention from other sites that Kendra or Joy, for example, don't get) make her a risk that some companies may be willing to take, at least initially.  And for a new brand who wants to get their name in front of as many people as possible, they may not care so much about the nature of the publicity.  They may be satisfied with just using Jill to get their name out.

The pictures may be horrible, but Jill did get these clothes in front of a lot of eyeballs, even outside Insta to us here.  If they can just get her to fix her posts to be more appealing, they're going to get a screaming deal in terms of the advertising they are getting for the price they paid for the post.  But she's GOT to get serious about learning how to take photos if she wants to make money on the internet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Drala
2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

<snip> I'm just trying to figure out how much she might be making per week doing a couple of posts.

I'm curious about this, too.  I just can't fathom how someone could support a family of four in the Dillard style without some kind of income.  It's hard to imagine Jill makes much money from her endorsements,  but I know absolutely nothing about that business model. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meh
FundieCentral

From my very limited experience, an exclusive sponsorship post list that for someone with that many followers can easily get 5-20k. That’s one post. Now I suspect that the boutique and Jill don’t pay or receive top dollar, but it may still very well be the lower end of that range. 

Influencer is the new Popstar y’all 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VelociRapture

Jill is promoting the Bates Sisters Boutique on her Stories:

F4A0DECB-34E4-42C7-AE64-72DB577532C7.thumb.png.a4dd463daa1396ebdd26f88d9e5b3aca.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cheetah

That jumpsuit.... it's just so bad.  It makes me think of a sewing project I did in 7th grade.  It makes poor Jill look chubby and I know from other photos that she isn't.  It's a bad color for her complexion... so bland.  And of course the wrinkles.  Maybe, maybe I could see that outfit on someone darker-skinned, model-thin, and with a very bright belt or scarf or something but really... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bal maiden

Could it be the case that, rather than Jill simply being terrible at social media, the other family members are actually getting a PR company to filter and manage their social media, as part of being on the show, but the Dillard’s don’t get that since they’re off the show now? When Alyssa Bates’ Instagram got hacked, a PR firm sorted it for her... it’s not out of the realm of possibility that Jessa and Jinger, possibly all the others, are having their social media managed. That would explain why theirs are so much more polished, and also some of the weird time lags. Whereas Jill is trying to do it on her own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zcccrv
3 hours ago, bal maiden said:

Could it be the case that, rather than Jill simply being terrible at social media, the other family members are actually getting a PR company to filter and manage their social media, as part of being on the show, but the Dillard’s don’t get that since they’re off the show now? When Alyssa Bates’ Instagram got hacked, a PR firm sorted it for her... it’s not out of the realm of possibility that Jessa and Jinger, possibly all the others, are having their social media managed. That would explain why theirs are so much more polished, and also some of the weird time lags. Whereas Jill is trying to do it on her own. 

That's a really good theory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mpheels
5 hours ago, bal maiden said:

Could it be the case that, rather than Jill simply being terrible at social media, the other family members are actually getting a PR company to filter and manage their social media, as part of being on the show, but the Dillard’s don’t get that since they’re off the show now? When Alyssa Bates’ Instagram got hacked, a PR firm sorted it for her... it’s not out of the realm of possibility that Jessa and Jinger, possibly all the others, are having their social media managed. That would explain why theirs are so much more polished, and also some of the weird time lags. Whereas Jill is trying to do it on her own. 

This makes a lot of sense when you consider the fact that the Dillard’s are off the show (we think) because Derrick’s out of control social media. Whether it’s a TLC mandate, or just shrewd Duggar business practices, polished/calculated social media is really important to thier brand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meh
acheronbeach
16 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

The follower count works in her favour but I can't wrap my head over anyone who thinks her social media looks good. None of her posts are aesthetically appealing and she makes all the clothes look like trash. 

I don't get it either.  Now, if I hear "Citrus and Lemon," my impression of the brand is of wrinkle-prone fast-fashion designed for a very specific type - mommies on a budget who like boho hippie clothes but also want their clothes to be oversized for modesty purposes.  

It's not just because I dislike Jill as a person, either.  I find Jinger pretty irritating lately, but she has great style (even though way different than my own).  Jessa, Jinger and Jana seem like natural choices for paid influencer posts.  Jill... for Campbell's soup, maybe, but not for fashion.  

  • Upvote 12
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AtlanticTug
24 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

mommies on a budget who like boho hobo hippie clothes

There, fixed it for you. (TM Jessa)

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onekidanddone
On 4/19/2019 at 2:46 PM, Lgirlrocks said:

She also could have hung it up in the bathroom while someone took a hot shower. 

Funny you should say that.  The other week I find my daughter standing in the bathroom fully dressed with the shower going full blast. She wasn't in the shower mind you, just standing next to it.  She said she was trying to get the wrinkles out of her shirt.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PurpleCats

Jill must be getting decent $$$ on these sponsored posts, since they just built a new house.  I can’t imagine they were able to finance very much of it without proof of income, especially since (I assume) they have some decent student loan debt from d-wreck going to law school

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Giddy
Carm_88

Oof that jumpsuit. She really did need to steam it, she really did need to pick a better colour, and she needs to figure out the instagram thing a bit better. Not that I am perfect by any means, but good lord, I make my cats look more appealing than that. I turn on portrait mode and snap away for a bit. Everything looks fabulous! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meh
acheronbeach
2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Oof that jumpsuit. She really did need to steam it, she really did need to pick a better colour, and she needs to figure out the instagram thing a bit better. Not that I am perfect by any means, but good lord, I make my cats look more appealing than that. I turn on portrait mode and snap away for a bit. Everything looks fabulous! :) 

Where is this jumpsuit on insta?  I can't see it.  Do you have to login to see it?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PainfullyAware

I actually think most of her posts are better than they were a year ago. Way less good than Jana or Jinger's of course, and not influencer level good but not.as.bad. It does seem quite silly that if this is going to be a major income source a basic online course in photography and maybe in a 'look' for her Instagram should be a first priority but oh well. If you have two million followers, someone is willing to pay you to take pics with their products. Hopefully having some income earning potential separate from Dad and Derick will be good for Jill's self-esteem and balance in the relationships. One can hope, right? Maybe not...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pugglemama

I guess time will tell, but all the recent photos make it look like Jill is pregnant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SassyPants
6 hours ago, pugglemama said:

I guess time will tell, but all the recent photos make it look like Jill is pregnant. 

Personally, I think it’s more 1) the style of clothing she seems to be wearing (picking to model) & 2) where Jill now carries her weight. Birthing really big babies can do this to some women.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EmmaWoodhouse

Re Jill's clothing choices: As someone coming out of fundiedom, I'm still trying to figure out what styles flatter my body and what I enjoy wearing. At this point, I'm not trying to dress to flatter my body; I've spent the past ten years dressing to hide it and I'm sick of  that jazz. Now I'm enjoying the freedom of wearing what ever makes ME happy. If I feel confident and beautiful, that's all that matters.  Not looking good for someone else. So what if a romper is not  Jill's best look? She's trying out new things and I applaud her for that.

Just my two cents.

  • Upvote 28
  • Love 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meh
acheronbeach
1 hour ago, EmmaWoodhouse said:

Re Jill's clothing choices: As someone coming out of fundiedom, I'm still trying to figure out what styles flatter my body and what I enjoy wearing. At this point, I'm not trying to dress to flatter my body; I've spent the past ten years dressing to hide it and I'm sick of  that jazz. Now I'm enjoying the freedom of wearing what ever makes ME happy. If I feel confident and beautiful, that's all that matters.  Not looking good for someone else. So what if a romper is not  Jill's best look? She's trying out new things and I applaud her for that.

Just my two cents.

Except she's not experimenting with stuff to make herself happy, she's wearing what she's contractually obligated to in order to sell clothes (for the Citrus and Lemon stuff).  And fundiedom doesn't eschew ironing.  

  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Giddy
Carm_88
On 4/19/2019 at 12:22 PM, wakeamy said:

I wouldn’t guarantee there was a life insurance policy. Some Christians don’t believe in life insurance. Now maybe he got some kind of inheritance but I would think it would all go to Cathy until she died. 

I really wish someone would give her a steamer. Or at least an iron. 

C8D73791-E434-4C21-A18F-01FCC81DF5D4.png

@acheronbeach Here it is. It was in her instagram stories, but I didn't see it. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meh
acheronbeach
14 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

@acheronbeach Here it is. It was in her instagram stories, but I didn't see it. :) 

Oh my.  This whole look is very "farm worker in O Brother Where Art Thou."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×