IGNORED

you all need to watch the 14 children special again...

homeschoolmomma1

There's 1 sleigh bed for the each of the first 5 girls (I thought it was the first 4 until I rewatched the 16 and moving in episode when they showed Joy-Anna's bed; unless there are 4 and Jana shares a bed). Then there's the bunk bed with 3 beds. Though, I never can find that 5th bed in any of the shots of the room. Maybe it's moved around and always out of the shot when the crew is in there to make more room for said crew? Or, maybe Jana's bed isn't actually kept in the room? Maybe Jana sleeps somewhere else, like Michelle's office? Maybe she bunks with Mary? Or maybe she and JD moved out, and she brought her bed along? Who knows.

Anyways, There have been many episodes that have shown the little girls sleeping in bed with the big girls. Or in other random places throughout the house. I think I remember seeing them sleep in the boys room once or twice. Or at least one of them napped in there or something. I also seem to recall Johannah taking a nap in a closet or something like that.....

ETA about the boy's beds: the boy's room is used as the guest room and the boys sleep in the bus when guests are over. That's probably the reasoning for the extra beds.

In the footage in this video, Jinger has the twin/single sleigh bed next to the bunk bed, Jessa's twin/single is the left one under the slope, Jana's double bed is in the corner by the tree, and Jill's double bed is the one under the window facing the other direction. I believe at that point Joy was sleeping on top of the bunk bed, with the older of the youngest girls in the two smaller beds under the bunk bed? And the youngest two may have been sharing the doubles with Jana and Jill?

Of course, by the time Jill and Jessa moved out, I think they'd done yet more strange things with the bunk bed area, and at the time of the room make over they had gotten rid of both the bunk bed and the tiny ones, yet not added the 5th sleigh bed back in, so Joy had moved into Jill's, but I'm not sure where the four youngest girls were sleeping.

The Duggar girls' room is just weird.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How old is Jana? Can you imagine having to live in a room with all your 200 siblings when in your mid 20s?

I was thinking about it too, I'm about Jana's age and it's kind of mind-boggling. But at the same time, they've never known anything else. It really makes me wonder if the Duggar kids have the same concept of ''privacy'' like other people raised in normal-size family have. I doubt they can really understand it like we do (which is kind of sad).

When Grandma Mary dies, I bet Jana will move into the guest room on the main level.

I agree, I think resale value never was considered when building the house. I think JB plans to die there.

I just had this weird flash of 20 years from now, when all of the kids are grown and gone, Grandma Mary has passed and JB & Meeshelle are all alone in that giant monstrosity of a house...it will echo more than it does now, filled with the children :cry2:

Where are you seeing 16 beds? In the video above, I count 9 beds in the boys' room.

This video is from a few years ago. The 16 beds can be seen in the episode with the derby cars from september.

Here I found a link to it. Unfortunately it's terrible quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... F6LY#t=291

I just had this weird flash of 20 years from now, when all of the kids are grown and gone, Grandma Mary has passed and JB & Meeshelle are all alone in that giant monstrosity of a house...it will echo more than it does now, filled with the children :cry2:

I think they assume one of their kids will have a bunch of kids so they can live there, and JimBob and Michelle would move into one of their smaller properties. I recall JimBob saying something about his kids being able to build houses on their massive property if they chose to, but I don't think that will happen unless one of their kids has a bunch and needs a larger house... If that happens, I could see the property being made into a Christian boarding school in a few generations after the land is sold off.

In the footage in this video, Jinger has the twin/single sleigh bed next to the bunk bed, Jessa's twin/single is the left one under the slope, Jana's double bed is in the corner by the tree, and Jill's double bed is the one under the window facing the other direction. I believe at that point Joy was sleeping on top of the bunk bed, with the older of the youngest girls in the two smaller beds under the bunk bed? And the youngest two may have been sharing the doubles with Jana and Jill?

Of course, by the time Jill and Jessa moved out, I think they'd done yet more strange things with the bunk bed area, and at the time of the room make over they had gotten rid of both the bunk bed and the tiny ones, yet not added the 5th sleigh bed back in, so Joy had moved into Jill's, but I'm not sure where the four youngest girls were sleeping.

The Duggar girls' room is just weird.

but why would Joy have a name bed, but sleep on a bunk bed?

but why would Joy have a name bed, but sleep on a bunk bed?

They did the name sticker appliques on the "Moving In" episode with the "New York Interior Designer". I'm sure they've shifted beds since then.

When I was 7-9, my family was in the middle of expanding our house from 2 bedrooms, 2 baths and 900 sq ft to 3000 sq ft with 5 beds, 3 baths, and a pool. My sister (4-6) and I helped with a lot of the projects from demo to construction. I even did the electrical for my own bedroom at 8. Of course, everything was heavily supervised, but I don't see an inherent problem with children learning those skills, even at young ages.

My Pappaw taught my cousins and I how to use a hammer and nails from a younger age ( supervised) and as soon as we knew hot and cold, My Nanna had us cooking in the kitchen with her. We all turned out fine....no wait a minute

we arent fine we grew up to be self sufficient functioning, open minded adults in society :whistle:

The point though, is that we know the Duggars do not effectively supervise their children doing even mildly dangerous things, so it is doubtful they adequately monitor their kids when they are doing dangerous things.

I think it is great to introduce kids to work and skills from a young age. The younger the kid, the more excited they are to help and do things, but you have to have grownups around with a lick of common sense to know what a kid can handle and to not have 10 or more kids going off in different directions with only 2 adults, one of whom was pregnant, watching them.

To really teach kids a skill like construction, painting, welding, drywalling, etc, you need one on one, or probably no more than 2 to one groupings, plenty of safety equipment and you need to plan on taking 3 or more times longer to complete a task than if you just did it yourself, especially at first. And you have to expect mistakes and you need to go back and check their work to make sure it is correct.

Obviously something as less dangerous than others. A mistake made with painting a wall, is inconvenient, but not dangerous, but a mistake made with electrical wiring is very dangerous. While I might let my 10 year old son help with wiring, I would for damned sure make sure that a qualified adult checked out the finished product to ensure it was done safely and correctly.

I don't know if the Duggars are capable of that kind of intense supervision.

Teaching kids building skills (any skills) from a young age is good.

What I noticed was that there was an actual building crew working on this house with a bunch of little kids running around "helping". What really was happening is that this was a planned shoot where the kids would run around and help, but there is no way that this happened every day. It is dangerous and the building crew must have been beside themselves with stress and fear that an accident would happen.

My Pappaw taught my cousins and I how to use a hammer and nails from a younger age ( supervised) and as soon as we knew hot and cold, My Nanna had us cooking in the kitchen with her. We all turned out fine....no wait a minute

we arent fine we grew up to be self sufficient functioning, open minded adults in society :whistle:

Not trying to be rude here, but I'm pretty sure OP had problems with the way the Duggars went about "training" their kids. I'm pretty sure none of your parents would say "here kid, go do this thing with only 30 seconds of tutorial" or have you guys running around in flip flops and Prarie dresses while handling dangerous things.

There's a difference between having an adult who cares about your safety and cares about you actually learning the trade and what Jim Bob did, shift his kids off to construction workers under the guise of them learning the trade.

In the beginning of Pt 2 of 5 of 14 children JB and M say they had their first child and then decided they would leave future up to God. NO mention of miscarriage or Caleb.

youtu.be/zT_vSq5wZ6g

In the beginning of Pt 2 of 5 of 14 children JB and M say they had their first child and then decided they would leave future up to God. NO mention of miscarriage or Caleb.

youtu.be/zT_vSq5wZ6g

The newspaper article from 1999 quoted in the "Old Duggar Newspaper Articles" thread, at which time the youngest ones were Jeremiah and Jeddidiah, does mention that Michelle had had one miscarriage, so it's not a recent addition to the story per se. Maybe they just decided to leave it out of the special as something they didn't want to talk about then? Back before they were sharing everything in public? Or maybe the network decided to leave it out?

The newspaper article from 1999 quoted in the "Old Duggar Newspaper Articles" thread, at which time the youngest ones were Jeremiah and Jeddidiah, does mention that Michelle had had one miscarriage, so it's not a recent addition to the story per se. Maybe they just decided to leave it out of the special as something they didn't want to talk about then? Back before they were sharing everything in public? Or maybe the network decided to leave it out?

Yes, they've talked about that miscarriage for a long time. I did run across an article where Michelle says "it was so early in pregnancy that they DIDNT know the sex but went with name Caleb"! http://m.eonline.com/news/279642/michel ... this-child

The very first time I watched/ heard of the Duggars was one of the early specials. I remember very specifically that she said that their pastor is the one that explained birth control as the cause of the miscarriage. I know she said this because my very first thought about these people was how fucking stupid do you have to be to get medical advice from a pastor.

Not trying to be rude here, but I'm pretty sure OP had problems with the way the Duggars went about "training" their kids. I'm pretty sure none of your parents would say "here kid, go do this thing with only 30 seconds of tutorial" or have you guys running around in flip flops and Prarie dresses while handling dangerous things.

There's a difference between having an adult who cares about your safety and cares about you actually learning the trade and what Jim Bob did, shift his kids off to construction workers under the guise of them learning the trade.

Well, that's not the way the OP wrote their post. They wrote it as if the kids were all too young to even consider doing such a thing, which is just not true. "These are things kids shouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. Even the mid-teens seem too young to have that much responsibility. " (quoted from above)

I'm not saying the Duggars supervised the kids like they should have. All I'm saying is, there's no reason to pearl clutch over teenagers welding and tweens using power drills. I mean, really, with all of the ridiculous things the Duggars have done/do, this just seems like nitpicking.

Besides, the actual involvement of the howlers is subject to me. I don't doubt that they helped with rolling out the tubing for the floor and screwed together a few bolts. I think it's much more likely, however, that Smugs, JD, Joe, and maybe Siah were the ones largely responsible for "helping". The middles probably came by to show they're The Most Wholesome Family Every for the cameras, but I really doubt they spent a substantial amount of time constructing anything.

Sell the TTH? I'd love to see the ad if they ever tried. Good lord.

JB is a real estate investor. If he's tight on cash, he'll sell other properties before the TTH. Although I can see the TTH becoming some sort of ATI retreat center when JB&M are empty nesters.

Leghumpers would trip over each other rushing to buy the TTH.

Leghumpers would trip over each other rushing to buy the TTH.

I doubt it. There were A LOT of Jon and Kate fans when they sold their old house, which was a pretty standard cape cod style home, and it sat on the market for YEARS, even though it was priced below market value. And, many homes that were featured in movies or scripted TV shows suffer the same fate. Add in the fact that way too many people live there and there's probably a significant amount of wear and tear that needs repair, and I doubt that anyone's going to be interested in buying it. Especially since the majority of their leghumpers probably live no where near NWA, let alone the ones willing to fork over money to live in their home.

Seeing the special now, after everything, it seems 10X more creepy. Especially Joshy. Just knowing he did all those things only 1 year prior to the filming, it's just sickening.

Edit: Oh, and J'chelle looks absolutely horrible. That red lipstick, too much blush, the clothes... ugh.

The very first time I watched/ heard of the Duggars was one of the early specials. I remember very specifically that she said that their pastor is the one that explained birth control as the cause of the miscarriage. I know she said this because my very first thought about these people was how fucking stupid do you have to be to get medical advice from a pastor.

Maybe they realized how stupid their statement was from backlash, so they changed it to "Doctor" in the later years; or publicists wrote Doctor to make them sound less stupid?

Archived