IGNORED

you all need to watch the 14 children special again...

homeschoolmomma1

It is not just the boys who sleep with their clothes on. I have seen the girls do it too.

Maybe it has to do with modesty while filming or maybe it is a safeguard.

regardless, it is weird.

Could it also be a shortcut / laziness thing?

Wearing Clothes to bed eliminates the need for PJ's and in turn, washing.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could it also be a shortcut / laziness thing?

Wearing Clothes to bed eliminates the need for PJ's and in turn, washing.

I'm not sure it really cuts down on washing b/c you can wear real clothes more than once if you don't wear them to bed and you can wear bed clothes for multiple nights before a wash needs to happen. (Though I've learned most of America washes their clothes and towels WAY more than I do).

Anyway, they do cover more and they are probably preferable to frumpy P.J.s. It's worth noting though that if they just locked the door they should be able to wear whatever they want... though on reflection I realized they probably wouldn't wear p.j. bottoms to bed b/c they are shorts or pants. :doh:

*sheepishly raises hand* I did in my teen years. I was never a pjs person and so I would literally go to bed in jeans and a t-shirt. Then at some point in my late teens, my body changed (hormones, maybe?) and I started getting overheated at night. Now I just wear athletic shirt and shorts as my pjs.

Yes but was it a lazy teen thing? I think I did when I was 13. I remember one summer I wore the same terrycloth shorts and haltertop for a week before by mother stripped me down and threw me in the bathtub. :lol:

When my teens started for real I went into the 3 showers a day phase. I don't know what it is that compels teens to pad a water bill, but I was guilty of it. How does a teen know when their shower is finished? When all the hot water is gone. :D

Anyway for most of my life I slept in the nude (I read that only 4% of people do this) then I became ill with a bad infection, almost died and now I need the polar fleece pajamas and I can't walk on the floor--even in summer--without slippers or I will get a chill. Oh I need my dog to keep me warm too :-P

Maybe the duggars don't put the heat on and save the difference?

I sleep in the shirt I wore that day. The only thing I don't wear to bed are the bottoms because jeans are just not comfortable for sleeping in.

I had a good friend in high school who slept in the clothes he'd worn that day, which I always thought was strange... maybe I sweat more than some people or something but I always take a shower and change into fresh sleep clothes before bed because I feel gross otherwise. It became less weird to me when I actually spent the night at his house a couple of times and realized he took his jeans off before going to bed, making it basically a t-shirt and boxers to sleep in (and his socks, which I thought was odd too... I can't normally sleep with socks on unless it's the dead of winter and I'm too cold, my feet like to breathe in the night).

I haven't watched the special in quite awhile but do we see the kids with jeans/khakis and everything on? I wonder if they just did it for the show so that they didn't have to worry about the kids being filmed in their PJs or anything that might be immodest - something loose fitting that they may have removed while asleep? I remember as a child sometimes waking up to find part of my pajamas were gone without any recollection of actually taking them off, because I'd get too hot or whatever. And I seem to remember in one of those old specials seeing Joy in a nightgown with a little sleep hat in one of those early shows. I also thought the video of the kids in the first house waiting to use the bathroom seemed to show them in PJs. I would hope that they don't ALWAYS sleep in clothes, that just doesn't seem like it would lend itself to comfortable sleep. If they do, they must feel totally liberated when they finally leave the family nest and can wear regular, comfortable pajamas without fear of defrauding their siblings! I bet they get the deepest sleep of their lives when they finally have a quiet night in comfortable sleep wear!

I absolutely hate sheets. I grew up with having to sleep between a fitted sheet and a top sheet and I remember always being really cold, even with a blanket on top. I just couldn't get warm that way. Nowadays, I do keep a fitted sheet around my mattress, but only as a sort of bottom layer. I have several of the tempurpedic foam mattress toppers on top of my bed, followed by a large comforter covering the whole mess. I sleep with at least one large comforter on top of me.

So cozy, and I sleep like a baby because I'm not freezing my ass off. :sleeping-sleeping::romance-inlove:

I hate sheets and blankets. They always get tangled. I sleep in a sleeping bag. Well, 2 sleeping bags, actually. I sleep on top of one and then have one open on top of me. I'm kinda strange.

I hate sheets and blankets. They always get tangled. I sleep in a sleeping bag. Well, 2 sleeping bags, actually. I sleep on top of one and then have one open on top of me. I'm kinda strange.

Not at all. :) I used to sleep in an old sleeping bag I inherited from my brother. That thing was so comfortable, if I had it now, I would still be sleeping in it.

Nothing beats a nest of blankets!

I LOVE pj's! I like cotton shorts/pants with flowy tanks or button down tops. But, as someone mentioned up thread, the Duggar Girls can't risk "defrauding" their siblings.

I recently treated myself to an amazingly comfortable down comforter, and since I've had that I alternate between using a top sheet and just using the duvet with a duvet cover.

And having a made bed is one of my favorite things, and I've been in the habit of doing that for the last month. It's just nice to come home to a freshly made bed every day, in my opinion.

I have never found a flat sheet to be useful in any way. Too snug around the feet. Plus, I like sticking one foot out of my blanket nest if I need to cool down.

I absolutely hate sheets. I grew up with having to sleep between a fitted sheet and a top sheet and I remember always being really cold, even with a blanket on top. I just couldn't get warm that way. Nowadays, I do keep a fitted sheet around my mattress, but only as a sort of bottom layer. I have several of the tempurpedic foam mattress toppers on top of my bed, followed by a large comforter covering the whole mess. I sleep with at least one large comforter on top of me.

So cozy, and I sleep like a baby because I'm not freezing my ass off. :sleeping-sleeping::romance-inlove:

Have you tried flannel sheets? Those are pretty warm. I also saw some polar fleece sheets at Costco.

Archived