IGNORED

you all need to watch the 14 children special again...

homeschoolmomma1

I'm watching some older episodes to see if we get a glimpse into some of the mystery rooms. In the intro one of the kids says something like: "We're nine times the size of an average family" and it's driving me nuts. You have 9 times the amount of kids but you're only 5 times the size of an average family. This is really bothering me more than it should.

That bugged me too. I guess they are considering most fmailies have 2 kids and not husband and wife.

Speaking of edits, does ayone recall the scene in 14 kids where JL and Mary came to help them when the bus broke down>

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That bugged me too. I guess they are considering most fmailies have 2 kids and not husband and wife.

Speaking of edits, does ayone recall the scene in 14 kids where JL and Mary came to help them when the bus broke down>

Oh, I definitely noticed that, and how much praying was involved in getting that RV on the road to begin with. JL inadvertently taking the wrong exit and arriving late just made it more interesting and also a bit odder..

It's so strange to review older episodes and see how much has changed. Fascinating.

I remember watching an episode (I guess it was a special) where they said that the new house has 9 bath rooms. I remember that very clearly because I thought who's the unlucky person who has to keep all those bath rooms clean. On the floor plan I can also see 8 bath rooms :think:

It's actually illegal to discriminate against tenants based on their children.

It may be illegal but people do it all the time. Same with hiring practices.

Kinda off topic, but I appreciate how you can be open about preferences in Germany. You don't want to live with kids or pets? Just say so, so people with kids or pets don't waste their time (and yours) Many websites even allow you to choose the gender and age range of the person/people you'd rather live with, or whether they're students versus professional workers. Trying to pretend that a law automatically stops people from still making choices about who they rent to is deluded.

That special was definitely edited. The end of the Youtube clip is actually from 16 children and moving in.

I watched it again today and I also watched a house your Michelle did a few years ago. Tey didn't show Michelle's study at all. I'm so curious now about that room. I've watched The Duggars since the beginning and I can't remember josh ever having his own room.

I am racking my brain trying to think of WHY Mullet would even need an office...

Well, back when they were doing the specials, wasn't she a real estate agent? I mean, I'm sure she wasn't about to give that up before they knew whether the show was going to take off or not. They may be stupid in a lot of ways, but I don't think making money has ever been one of those ways.

I thought they were upstairs. JB's office downstairs is TINY.

kodiaksteelhomes.com/images/DuggarFloorPlan.pdf

No, it was definitely downstairs, cause they walked from the living areas to the office by passing the dining room.

Well, back when they were doing the specials, wasn't she a real estate agent? I mean, I'm sure she wasn't about to give that up before they knew whether the show was going to take off or not. They may be stupid in a lot of ways, but I don't think making money has ever been one of those ways.

She needs an office to do lesson plans. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I think it is her own time out room.

BTW - who in the HELL designs a house with a guest suite where you go thru the stupid laundry room?!? not the hall by the laundry room but actually thru the actual laundry room to go to your own area to relax. :angry-banghead:

**Why are their 2 toilets side-by-side in the playroom? taking the buddy thing to a whole new ick level!

**edit to add - you all covered this already. Toddler toilet and regular toilet. So they no longer have any toddlers, will it be removed?

She needs an office to do lesson plans. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I think it is her own time out room.

BTW - who in the HELL designs a house with a guest suite where you go thru the stupid laundry room?!? not the hall by the laundry room but actually thru the actual laundry room to go to your own area to relax. :angry-banghead:

**Why are their 2 toilets side-by-side in the playroom? taking the buddy thing to a whole new ick level!

**edit to add - you all covered this already. Toddler toilet and regular toilet. So they no longer have any toddlers, will it be removed?

No...because GRANDBABIES!

by the 100's!

then they had better start marrying off the 20+ year olds! JD, Jana, Joe and Jinger- get crackin' at leading that special someone right to daddy to put it on both your hearts that he/she is the one! To compare, because we all know it's a competition ;), the Bates only have 2 over 20 that are not engaged or married. (Tori will be 20 at the end of this year)

I remember watching an episode (I guess it was a special) where they said that the new house has 9 bath rooms. I remember that very clearly because I thought who's the unlucky person who has to keep all those bath rooms clean. On the floor plan I can also see 8 bath rooms :think:

Ok I actually learned this from watching the older episodes. The little room cutting into the clothes closet is another little powder room. In one episode I got a glimpse of a toilet in there.

It is also sometimes called a "mud room." A small room usually with concrete or easily washable floors between the outside and the inside. People who change into slippers or indoor shoes usually do it in the mud room. It's also a good place to keep drippy umbrellas.

As to the little potty. Eh. I give them a pass on this. From the time they moved in there was pretty much always at least one little person who required a baby potty or toddler potty seat. It doesn't necessarily mean that the little one and another person were going potty together but this way you don't need that plastic insert for the 2 and 3 year olds so that they feel secure on the big potty, they have the convenience of going on their own little potty that flushes.

Is the big Duggar plan to keep the house in the family? I don't know who in their right mind would ever buy that house. It's 7000 square feet but only 4 bedrooms, and there seems to be a lot of tiny rooms scattered around. That floor plan is joke. Plus the outside looks pretty awful IMO. It's all dirt with a couple trees and little patches of grass. I wonder if any of them have a "green thumb" but have never been allowed to pursue it :angry-banghead:

Is the big Duggar plan to keep the house in the family? I don't know who in their right mind would ever buy that house. It's 7000 square feet but only 4 bedrooms, and there seems to be a lot of tiny rooms scattered around. That floor plan is joke. Plus the outside looks pretty awful IMO. It's all dirt with a couple trees and little patches of grass. I wonder if any of them have a "green thumb" but have never been allowed to pursue it :angry-banghead:

In the old special Jim Bob made a comment about how the house is on a big piece of land so maybe later on some of their kids will build houses on the property. I think they plan on staying there forever.

I believe she hasn't been in Real Estate since the 90's.

I agree. It is a horrible floor plan. Apparently it is located next to a landfill, as well.

4 bedrooms is not so bad because it is unusual to have so many children, but the various rooms are poorly designed. Do they really need a commercial kitchen? I thought they just ate convenience foods on disposable dishes?

The dining room is awkward because it is so narrow. Somehow they managed to squeeze in stuff like a soft drink dispenser! The commercial kitchen could be smaller and the dining room a touch wider.

The pretty kitchen is a waste since they have a huge kitchen. What it actually needs to be is a bar. They do not have to to stock it with alcohol, but put all their beverages (like the soft drink dispenser) and other supplies for entertaining guests in there.

And the best part is the location - just a few blocks down from the dump and has a warehouse in the front yard. Between the constant trash trucks coming and going along with the goings on of a commercial enterprise who would want this for their neighbors???

And the best part is the location - just a few blocks down from the dump and has a warehouse in the front yard. Between the constant trash trucks coming and going along with the goings on of a commercial enterprise who would want this for their neighbors???

Which probably means they got it cheap. Buy near the landfill and save the difference!

Which probably means they got it cheap. Buy near the landfill and save the difference!

Exactly - the only land they could have gotten cheaper is an EPA superfund site! :cracking-up:

Just randomly - in the first couple of specials the Duggars have an olive green dining table which I'm pretty sure I've seen the Bates have in their house. I wonder if the Duggars gave it to them.

I agree. It is a horrible floor plan. Apparently it is located next to a landfill, as well.

4 bedrooms is not so bad because it is unusual to have so many children, but the various rooms are poorly designed. Do they really need a commercial kitchen? I thought they just ate convenience foods on disposable dishes?

The dining room is awkward because it is so narrow. Somehow they managed to squeeze in stuff like a soft drink dispenser! The commercial kitchen could be smaller and the dining room a touch wider.

The pretty kitchen is a waste since they have a huge kitchen. What it actually needs to be is a bar. They do not have to to stock it with alcohol, but put all their beverages (like the soft drink dispenser) and other supplies for entertaining guests in there.

The layout is bad enough that it wouldn't even work for a retreat house (such as quilting, scrapbooking) or a half-way house for runaways, foster home, a home for families fleeing abuse (etc) because of the lack of bedrooms. The size, commercial kitchen and laundry room would work for these ideas but not with the lack of bedroom en suites.

But as someone else said, JB said they plan on having many children live around them so they plan on living there forever.

My assumption looking at the floorplan is that is actually a fairly common "MIL suite" option, where that room that is labeled laundry room would typically be more of like a small living room space or retreat for the person who occupies the "guest" bedroom.

Remove the laundry room label and hookups and it's pretty easy to see that those two rooms were designed as a self-contained suite and not as a laundry room with attached guest bedroom... I think they made it into a laundry room as more of an afterthought.

Archived