IGNORED

you all need to watch the 14 children special again...

homeschoolmomma1

Seeing the special now, after everything, it seems 10X more creepy. Especially Joshy. Just knowing he did all those things only 1 year prior to the filming, it's just sickening.

Edit: Oh, and J'chelle looks absolutely horrible. That red lipstick, too much blush, the clothes... ugh.

Michelle's makeup is a nightmare, but her skin tone was lovely. Not all leathered like it is now. The ravages of time have been hard on her over the years. She still looks decent for her age, but when you compare her to how she looked in the first 2 specials, she has aged quite a bit.

Her voice was much more normal in those first few shows, and honestly, she seemed more hands on with the kids. Yes, we see the buddy system in full swing, but she didn't seem near as detached as she does now.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michelle's makeup is a nightmare, but her skin tone was lovely. Not all leathered like it is now. The ravages of time have been hard on her over the years. She still looks decent for her age, but when you compare her to how she looked in the first 2 specials, she has aged quite a bit.

Her voice was much more normal in those first few shows, and honestly, she seemed more hands on with the kids. Yes, we see the buddy system in full swing, but she didn't seem near as detached as she does now.

I think she actually looks pretty good for having squeezed out 19+ children. She would be quite attractive if she had a fashionable hairdo and put on some normal clothes.

I think since then she's switched from using the wrong shade of red lipstick to using too much bronzer or the wrong shade of foundation/face powder/blush.

And I agree, she'd look better without the 80s hairdo. But then again, guess JB wants her to look a little bit like the 80s cheerleader, even if she doesn't dress like one anymore.

She really did have a beautiful milky complexion under all that blush. The special aired in September 2005 (thanks Wikipedia). Michelle turned 39 that month, so she was likely 38 during filming for that special. That's a lot of seasons of life between now and then. And maybe Jinger's sunless tanner/bronzer wore off of on her too.

LogansMom - I agree. :ew: The girls were still living in the home their brother molested them in, confronted by awful memories every day. Of course, seeing Josh every day would be traumatic enough.

Calimojo - I noticed this to. I wonder if she thinks her baby voice is appealing to viewers? If so, I wonder why someone on the film crew, a TLC PR person, or a family friend didn't tell her it is creepy. She is definitely more detached now, but in the earliest special she only had 14 children. I imagine each additional child makes it more difficult to keep track of the kids. From the 14 Kids and Pregnant Again special to 16 kids and Moving In, the kids were all much younger and presumably couldn't help as much with childrearing. Jill said Joy was like her live baby doll, so obviously the girls helped a lot even when they were little, but a 7 year old can only do so much to raise an infant, toddler, or preschooler. Plus, in the TTH Michelle can hide from the hoard of children. :wink-penguin: In their tiny home, that was impossible.

LogansMom - I agree. :ew: The girls were still living in the home their brother molested them in, confronted by awful memories every day. Of course, seeing Josh every day would be traumatic enough.

Calimojo - I noticed this to. I wonder if she thinks her baby voice is appealing to viewers? If so, I wonder why someone on the film crew, a TLC PR person, or a family friend didn't tell her it is creepy. She is definitely more detached now, but in the earliest special she only had 14 children. I imagine each additional child makes it more difficult to keep track of the kids. From the 14 Kids and Pregnant Again special to 16 kids and Moving In, the kids were all much younger and presumably couldn't help as much with childrearing. Jill said Joy was like her live baby doll, so obviously the girls helped a lot even when they were little, but a 7 year old can only do so much to raise an infant, toddler, or preschooler. Plus, in the TTH Michelle can hide from the hoard of children. :wink-penguin: In their tiny home, that was impossible.

I don't know if it's so much "each kid made it harder to keep track of the kids" so much as the J'slaves were still very young when the show started, so Michelle needed to be more hands-on. As they got older, she became more like a CEO instead of like a manager.

Anyone remember seeing the Duggar Dream Home special? Is this a different episode that 16 kids and moving in? I think they are 2 different episodes. I think Duggar Dream Home is the show where they talk about Josh having his own room. He was living in the room that Grandma Duggar lives in now. Also, their living room used to be used as a church and a place to host financial freedom seminars. The film editing room upstairs was a sound room for their gatherings in their house. Their large house and industrial kitchen was intended to be used for hosting large groups at their house. They crammed all their kids into those shared rooms to get them out of the way. Once TLC gave them their own show they dropped the home church and financial freedom seminars and tried to edit out all this info from their show.

This is a very interesting article:

http://www.uatrav.com/news/article_316c ... e3a29.html

Anyone remember seeing the Duggar Dream Home special? Is this a different episode that 16 kids and moving in? I think they are 2 different episodes. I think Duggar Dream Home is the show where they talk about Josh having his own room. He was living in the room that Grandma Duggar lives in now. Also, their living room used to be used as a church and a place to host financial freedom seminars. The film editing room upstairs was a sound room for their gatherings in their house. Their large house and industrial kitchen was intended to be used for hosting large groups at their house. They crammed all their kids into those shared rooms to get them out of the way. Once TLC gave them their own show they dropped the home church and financial freedom seminars and tried to edit out all this info from their show.

This is a very interesting article:

http://www.uatrav.com/news/article_316c ... e3a29.html

I never heard of that special before. Any idea where it can be found?

"The Duggars taught safety rules from the very beginning, Jim Bob said. 'We would also pray every morning before getting started for safety.'"

Because a few days of training by an expert ensures you children can safely build a house and just in case, praying every morning will seal the deal. :doh: Thanks for the article!

I never heard of that special before. Any idea where it can be found?

I think it's the same one as 16 kids and moving in. They discuss all the things in that special that they do in the article.

Just watched an early episode of 17 kids and counting and there's a part where Jackson starts dancing to a toy that plays music. When the crew mentioned that they weren't allowed to dance Jana said something like "oh he wasn't dancing he was just jumping for joy" :roll: Oh Duggars

Just watched an early episode of 17 kids and counting and there's a part where Jackson starts dancing to a toy that plays music. When the crew mentioned that they weren't allowed to dance Jana said something like "oh he wasn't dancing he was just jumping for joy" :roll: Oh Duggars

Hopefully she said that because she didn't want him to get into trouble.

You're probably right. Being one of the oldest Jana means she probably got the rod more that most of her siblings.

I hope you are right. I was thinking that Jana didn't have the heart to tell Jackson to stop dancing so she just used ''jumping for joy'' has an excuse. Kids dancing is such an pure and natural way for them to express how they feel. I often see my little nephew move his little legs to the rhythm of music and he does it with such innocent joy. It would be a crime to tell him he's not allowed, because dancing stirs up desires (Yeah, like a 2 years old understands what sexual desires are? :evil-eye: )

I think it's the same one as 16 kids and moving in. They discuss all the things in that special that they do in the article.

Interesting how they once again contacted pros to teach the kids. And I guess prayer for safety didnt keep Clark Wilson from getting his finger drilled. Jim Bob would rather put young kids in dangerous construction zones than hire pros to save $$ here and there.

My recollection of the girls' room when they moved in was that Jana and Jill each had the double sleigh bed Joy had a single under the eaves and Jessa and Jinger each had a single side by side in the alcove. Johannah was a baby and there was the creepy scene where they put her in the crib in her parents room.

I always assumed that once the other lost girls arrived they were just dumped into bed with their sister mom. Wasn't that the reason that Jana and Jill had double beds? THere seems to me that there was a time when we saw small port-a-cribs in the girls room as well.

I sure do hope that with the remodel, Jana got to claim one of the single beds and the four LGs are sharing the doubles. But I suspect she's sleeping with Josie.

Often thought that when the designer showed off the beds with the names stenciled on them that JB and J'chelle thought "oh crap, now they actually think they have their own beds--with no little ones sleeping with them"

THe thing that alwasy bothered me with the boys rooms was that the beds always just had a bottom sheet and pillow with loose blankets thrown around. It felt just the opposite of the girls rooms with the assigned made beds. I even wondered if the boys ever claimed a bed for himself. Maybe they didn't care, but it just seemed so random in a house with so many rules. Of course, it probably would have been the responsibiltiy of a J'slave to make the boys beds too.

My recollection of the girls' room when they moved in was that Jana and Jill each had the double sleigh bed Joy had a single under the eaves and Jessa and Jinger each had a single side by side in the alcove. Johannah was a baby and there was the creepy scene where they put her in the crib in her parents room.

I always assumed that once the other lost girls arrived they were just dumped into bed with their sister mom. Wasn't that the reason that Jana and Jill had double beds? THere seems to me that there was a time when we saw small port-a-cribs in the girls room as well.

I sure do hope that with the remodel, Jana got to claim one of the single beds and the four LGs are sharing the doubles. But I suspect she's sleeping with Josie.

Often thought that when the designer showed off the beds with the names stenciled on them that JB and J'chelle thought "oh crap, now they actually think they have their own beds--with no little ones sleeping with them"

THe thing that alwasy bothered me with the boys rooms was that the beds always just had a bottom sheet and pillow with loose blankets thrown around. It felt just the opposite of the girls rooms with the assigned made beds. I even wondered if the boys ever claimed a bed for himself. Maybe they didn't care, but it just seemed so random in a house with so many rules. Of course, it probably would have been the responsibiltiy of a J'slave to make the boys beds too.

I bet poor Jana has to sleep with Josie. Jill mentioned in an episode that Joy "took over her bead" after she got married, so unless Joy inherited a sister, they're still sharing. It seems like they got rid of the bunk bed set up they had in there all together? Or did we just not see it.

The boys' room is atrocious. The parts we've seen of the sleeping, they're all randomly about, some even sleeping on the floor and all still have their regular clothes on.

It is not just the boys who sleep with their clothes on. I have seen the girls do it too.

Maybe it has to do with modesty while filming or maybe it is a safeguard.

regardless, it is weird.

Half the time when we see the boys' room it looks like a tornado swept through the place. I'm going to guess modesty etc on the seeing them sleeping dressed. Although I do seem to recall the girls saying that they used to have the younger kids sleep already dressed on the bus prior to trips (if they were supposed to be leaving early in the am). And I am more or less convinced the sister mom's came up with this due to having to wake up and ress half a dozen kids each every time they made a trip.

And the co-sleeping. I hate thinking about older girls having to sleep with a kid that young who might still be wetting the bed and such. (hopefully with Josie at 5 they are past that).

I'm middle-aged.

I have NEVER been able to sleep with a tucked in flat sheet. In a hotel, the first thing I do is untuck the whole thing and make sure I can get my feet out. At home, I sleep with a fitted sheet and loose blankets. (Just call me Howler, I guess.)

My feet have to be cool and able to breathe in order to sleep.

My brother is the same way. I have no idea if it is genetic, but it has always been an issue. (My parents ended up having to cut the footies off my pajamas because it was so uncomfortable for me.)

I come with my own private furnace these days, but I still have a designated bed and I still make it everyday and I still enjoy getting into a made bed--even if I end up kicking off blankets and sheets.

With the Duggars it seems more about laziness than temperature control.

Frankly, if they'd just admit that with 19 kids, you let things go like made beds, etc., I'd be okay with it. It's just that they're so fundie self righteous about all that they do "so well".

I come with my own private furnace these days, but I still have a designated bed and I still make it everyday and I still enjoy getting into a made bed--even if I end up kicking off blankets and sheets.

With the Duggars it seems more about laziness than temperature control.

Frankly, if they'd just admit that with 19 kids, you let things go like made beds, etc., I'd be okay with it. It's just that they're so fundie self righteous about all that they do "so well".

I am 28. I've always had my own bed. My parents always made sure I had complete bed sets. I usually take the top sheet out and sleep with anywhere from 1 to 6 loose blankets (depending on the time of the year). I never make my bed unless someone is coming over. The not making it is actually better for you, especially if you (like me) have allergies (especially to dust and dander). The lack of top sheet and random blankets is about temperature control.

Is a top sheet important?

I use one now, but I havent always. I thought the function of a top sheet was for comfort against a scratchy blanket.

A lot of people are "Scandinavian style" and use a bottom sheet with a duvet and duvet cover. The duvet cover gets changed when the sheets get changed.

Shrug. I didn't know there was anything important about top sheets other than that. Well maybe cleanliness. When the duggar kids are sleeping in their clothes all the time, they are bringing dirt into the bed. It is also lazy. Who sleeps in their clothes all the time? Maybe infrequently because one just got home from a long shift and can barely move---but children who are sleeping in their clothes every night are not being taken care of properly---in my opinion.

Shrug. I didn't know there was anything important about top sheets other than that. Well maybe cleanliness. When the duggar kids are sleeping in their clothes all the time, they are bringing dirt into the bed. It is also lazy. Who sleeps in their clothes all the time? Maybe infrequently because one just got home from a long shift and can barely move---but children who are sleeping in their clothes every night are not being taken care of properly---in my opinion.

*sheepishly raises hand* I did in my teen years. I was never a pjs person and so I would literally go to bed in jeans and a t-shirt. Then at some point in my late teens, my body changed (hormones, maybe?) and I started getting overheated at night. Now I just wear athletic shirt and shorts as my pjs.

When each next step in the construction process was reached, the Duggars contacted a professional in that particular area to teach the skills necessary to complete the job, Jim Bob Duggar said.

"It was quite amazing to see them putting this massive structure up," Michelle Duggar said. "I would be praying from the house that they didn't fall off the roof."

The Duggars taught safety rules from the very beginning, Jim Bob said. "We would also pray every morning before getting started for safety."

Such dedication paid off, throughout the entire construction process there were no broken bones or major injuries.

SERIOUSLY? I remember girls with long hair and flip flops on ladders, wielding power tools. I remember very young howlers with power tools. There was NO safety with those kids.

Archived