IGNORED

you all need to watch the 14 children special again...

homeschoolmomma1

Wow...they definately changed fashion styles.

Regarding the occupancy, I don't know what AR laws are, but in MN housing limits it to two people (adult or child) per bedroom.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember her talking about weaning at six months too, but I can't remember if that is from the original one or from their original website that has been heavily edited since they became famous.

They are not the only ATI family to want a family compound ala the Kennedy's of Hyannisport, MA. I imagine some of them WILL actually build there, but if they all did it would be a subdivision with a huge "lodge" --they'd just need to add the community pool and playground!

I was watching some of the earlier specials a few days ago, too. Did anyone else notice that Jim Bob said they built their house on so much land (20 acres, I believe) so the children could build houses on it, too? Have they said anything about this since? Or did they realize that mentioning that again would just SCREAM cult? I believe it's in the 16 and Moving In special.

I also remember watching him say this.

Regarding the Holts, I just found this...

Priscilla (Anna's siter) posted a pictue of the newest Duggar baby on her Google profile. She is friends with Jim & Bobye Holt, who commented on the post saying: "He's also a good baby! Just as sweet as his momma! ;)" So I guess they do still get together ocassionally?

So I guess they do still get together ocassionally?

Are you saying Priscilla & Anna still get together? Or the Kellers and the Holts?? Or that Josh/Anna see the Holts??

As a politician I'm sure Jim-Bob has tried not to totally alienate the Holts. And, they may have said "no" to further appearances too.....Since we don't know what happened between them really, they may still be friendly just not see each other as much as they once did. That happens.

That Josh & Anna see the Holts because with the way that comment is phrased, it sounds like the Holts have already gone to see Michael.

It's actually illegal to discriminate against tenants based on their children. .

You are allowed to discriminate based on family size, if the family size exceeds the capacity of the home. My mother uses the 2 per bedroom plus 1 rule that is the legal standard, used by HUD, etc. That means like it sounds: a family of seven people needs at least 3 bedrooms. So a family of 14 kids plus 2 parents would need 8 bedrooms.

Landlords could get in trouble for renting a home to too many people. My mother would lose her ability to receive HUD or state rental assistance if that were not her policy. Plus, you need to ensure that your septic systems, etc can handle that many people. A 3 bdrm house probably does not have an industrial septic system.

I just thought of a way to revive the stale Duggar show! They could have another house-buildin' episode. Sure, it's been done already, but far less than new babies, packing for trips, visiting the doctor, and making tater tot casserole. And let's face it: they needed TLC to help them finish the first house, so I doubt they'll ever build a new one on their own. I'm sure the producers have already considered this. So within a few years I wouldn't be surprised to see them build a house on the compound for Smuggar's growing family, or even a combo episode where one of the girls gets married and they build a house for her on the compound.

I saw the unedited 14 Children. I might have it on VHS somewhere but I'm not sure it's been a long time and I might have lost the tape. Michelle had so much trouble describing her kids. She said things like "he really likes to.... move...he's my little mover".

Michelle had so much trouble describing her kids. She said things like "he really likes to.... move...he's my little mover".

I LOL-ed just then.

I don't think the "Family Compound" is that creepy. I grew up in a rural area, and there was a family who lived nearby that had four separate family units on the acreage. The grandfather of my friends had bought the property and his three kids each built homes on the property as well. Now that my friends are grown, their parents converted one of the barns into a two bedroom house for them, the girls bought their family home, their brother moved into a trailer on the property, and two cousins live in new houses on the property as well. They probably have about 100 acres though.

Is it this clip? (Start at 3:42)

I bet that is it! WOW Michelle had no clue about the last three boys

This is what I found online TWOP

There are 3 versions---

The original version, which first aired on or about November 6, 2004 (that was the date of the first posting on this thread);

The "Christmas" version (first air date May 3, 2005), which edited about nine minutes out of the original and tacked on a "Christmas with the Duggars" segment at the end; and

The "Update" version (first air date October 19, 2005), which replaced the Christmas segment with the footage of them building the house, going to the homeschoolers' convention, and having the ultrasound of #16.

The original show was edited out to squeeze in the Christmas footage. Among the now-missing segments:

The explanation of why each child's name starts with "J"

Michelle's description of each child's character traits (with her starting to blank out on their names the further she goes down the list)

The family going out to eat--it's Family Night at the local cafeteria-style place, with kids meals for 49 cents each (with a limit of three kids to each paying adult)

Jim Bob outlining his political career, and the family returning to the state capitol in Little Rock for the ceremony honoring The Walking Uterus as an Arkansas Mother of the Year

• 4 years later...

Close, but not exactly. Jim Holt is an aspiring politician (maybe he thought he could follow in Jim Bob's footsteps). The Duggars helped campaign for him; however, he lost (he's run for office since then, and lost, but this was years before Josh met Anna). Jim Holt, upset at having lost his election, declared it must have been due to "sin in the camp" (same concept I talked about in the Jana ISB thread; that if one person has sin in their heart, or isn't right with God somehow, it will literally cause the entire group they're with to fail). For some reason, he pointed the finger at Josh (the reason is pure rumor, something to do with another girl, but the Gothardites are so strict it may well have just been talking to her, who knows). At the same time Jim Holt broke off the betrothal. Note that Jim BOB has nothing to do with the "sin in the camp" quote; I think it's easy for people to get confused because they don't know who Jim Holt is.

A commenter in some thread elsewhere (years and years back, around the time of one of the specials, not TWOP) is the person who gave most of these details; they were apparently at a home church meeting or something similar. Michelle had supposedly been told to send Josh to one of these camps, and she was in tears and not sure what to do. Supposedly, she eventually did so, and people say the proof is in the shaved head at the end of one of the specials.

Amy Duggar has confirmed on her facebook that Josh was "engaged" once before. Also, interesting to note, when Jim Holt has subsequently run for office Josh always has signs posted supporting him. I wonder if he's still trying to prove his loyalty after all these years.

There are a few posts in this thread that really have my mind spinning. Just thought I'd bump it for people.

The rumours are so eerily bang on as to what actually happened, and it really makes me wonder how much the Holts knew, and how deeply entrenched they are in Josh's current sexual molestation scandal. I guess if it's relevant, it will come out...

I used to watch the Duggar specials before they got their regular show. I was never a fan, but I would watch the specials if I came across them while channel surfing. I am an only child and I always wished I had siblings, but every time I watched a Duggar special I would be so thankful that I was an only child.

I remember an watching a special or episode once that really bothered me about them. I remember Josh had his own bedroom. It has been so long ago so I don't remember the exact details, but it has always stuck out in my mind because I thought it was so unfair. It must have been when they moved to the new house. There was a big room that was their church room, and connected to the church room was a smaller room for all of Josh's electronics. I think he was into video editing or something. But I remember that video editing room was also Josh's bedroom. And Jim Boob or Michelle explained that Josh got his own bedroom because he was the oldest and deserved privacy. And then they were asked if the next oldest kids would get their own bedroom if Josh ever moved out and they said NO. I remember thinking that was total BS and I wondered why Josh was so special. I always assumed the church room and Josh's room were in the main house, but just recently I have seen the floor plan or the house and I don't see where these rooms would be. Maybe it was in another building on the property? So I am wondering if anyone else remembers this or am I crazy?

And I am sorry if I am remembering this incorrectly or if this is something that has been discussed. I am trying to catch up on reading as much as I can but had not seen anyone mention this.

I used to watch the Duggar specials before they got their regular show. I was never a fan, but I would watch the specials if I came across them while channel surfing. I am an only child and I always wished I had siblings, but every time I watched a Duggar special I would be so thankful that I was an only child.

I remember an watching a special or episode once that really bothered me about them. I remember Josh had his own bedroom. It has been so long ago so I don't remember the exact details, but it has always stuck out in my mind because I thought it was so unfair. It must have been when they moved to the new house. There was a big room that was their church room, and connected to the church room was a smaller room for all of Josh's electronics. I think he was into video editing or something. But I remember that video editing room was also Josh's bedroom. And Jim Boob or Michelle explained that Josh got his own bedroom because he was the oldest and deserved privacy. And then they were asked if the next oldest kids would get their own bedroom if Josh ever moved out and they said NO. I remember thinking that was total BS and I wondered why Josh was so special. I always assumed the church room and Josh's room were in the main house, but just recently I have seen the floor plan or the house and I don't see where these rooms would be. Maybe it was in another building on the property? So I am wondering if anyone else remembers this or am I crazy?

And I am sorry if I am remembering this incorrectly or if this is something that has been discussed. I am trying to catch up on reading as much as I can but had not seen anyone mention this.

I've seen a couple people mention this but I don't remember it and no one seems to remember when they saw it. Does anyone have any idea when this was shown?

I think there are occupancy laws though, requiring a limited amount of people living in an X-bedroom home. For instance, I know renters at my old apartment complex could only have 2 people per bedroom, adult or child.

Yes, Federal HUD rules is 2 people per bedroom, but only applies to rentals. Some property owners will look the other way though.

I've seen a couple people mention this but I don't remember it and no one seems to remember when they saw it. Does anyone have any idea when this was shown?

In the 16 Kids and Moving in special, Josh is in his editing room. It doesn't look like a bedroom at all. Not sure if/when that was ever stated on the show. The editing room is on the floor plan as "studio" right off the boys' room.

I also remember Josh in his video editing room (hopefully without access to any cameras installed around the house) and him saying "No rugrats allowed". Maybe a hobby for him was seen as a good thing and worth some investment.

In the 16 Kids and Moving in special, Josh is in his editing room. It doesn't look like a bedroom at all. Not sure if/when that was ever stated on the show. The editing room is on the floor plan as "studio" right off the boys' room.

This is going to drive me crazy because I remember being so annoyed that Josh got his own bedroom and then they said none of the other kids would ever get their own bedroom. It seems like Josh was kind of hosting the episode that I remember seeing. Or it was very focused on him and how special he is with his video editing or whatever. I think they also talked about their internet and computer rules in this episode because they had gotten some new computers for the kids to use for their school work. Does that sound like the 16 Kids and Moving In Special? And there was a large room shown that was their church room. It was so long ago that I saw it so I could be remembering it wrong. But it has seriously stuck out in my mind for years. I don't remember seeing his personal bedroom, I just remember Jim Boob and Michelle explaining why he had his own bedroom and that the other kids would never have their own rooms.

I watched not too long ago but I don't remember anything like that. Though Josh was the narrator of the whole thing.

Admittedly, I didn't pay THAT close of attention to the show though.

It's actually illegal to discriminate against tenants based on their children. I guess it's possible because nobody is perfectly honest, but I suspect they were unwilling to commit to a lease, and they just used the kids as an excuse to feel all persecuted and martyred. The reason they seemed calmer back then (besides selective editing) is because they hit their kids a lot more back then. Spanked kids can have tendency to act out, but if you spank them even more, they just get broken spirits and never have an independent thought or action.

Wait, what?

I think it *is* legal to discriminate against families with "too many children" for the living space, though, isn't it?

I've never rented to anyone, but I've known families with kids that *did* rent, and they ran into the problem that they had to have so many bedrooms per so many people, so they couldn't just rent a two-bedroom house or apartment, for example, for six people (or something like that).

Pardon my fuzziness. The heat is melting my brain.

Edited to add: Oh, wait, I see someone else already answered this.

This is going to drive me crazy because I remember being so annoyed that Josh got his own bedroom and then they said none of the other kids would ever get their own bedroom. It seems like Josh was kind of hosting the episode that I remember seeing. Or it was very focused on him and how special he is with his video editing or whatever. I think they also talked about their internet and computer rules in this episode because they had gotten some new computers for the kids to use for their school work. Does that sound like the 16 Kids and Moving In Special? And there was a large room shown that was their church room. It was so long ago that I saw it so I could be remembering it wrong. But it has seriously stuck out in my mind for years. I don't remember seeing his personal bedroom, I just remember Jim Boob and Michelle explaining why he had his own bedroom and that the other kids would never have their own rooms.

Makes a lot of sense in hindsight. Josh has his own room, to isolate him from potential victims, whereas for the other children, there is (or one would hope, but it didn't work out that way) safety in numbers.

Archived