IGNORED

Dillards 74: The Dill in the Pickle

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, bella8050 said:

This was one of Jill's replies to her post about Izzy's homeschooling.

85A2ACC2-228C-441A-B8F6-7C0030725E87.jpeg.706edbb59971317d3432161d79800e6d.jpeg

Also I was at Target today and came across this. Go pick one up Jill!

B4684D60-DCB4-4226-9A2F-B8037368AF34.thumb.jpeg.f341a3f179cbdccf61ebcaebc1891f5e.jpeg

Is it sad I want to give that mug to my boyfriend from our dogs? He is their papa and the best one at that! :) 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Maybe??? My arse, that maybe, is the maybe that means no. 

I dunno. She could be equivocating because she doesn't want her family to see her saying an outright 'yes'.

Sam’s banana dance in Jill’s insta story is like the first time I’ve ever gone “awwwww” to anything she posted. It’s super cute.

Well she does mention college...If this is true, Derick has influenced Jill’s thinking, and has planted the seed that the boys will need more than the SOTDRT, if they want to pursue higher education.

I can't imagine the boys asking to go to public school. They might have to sit next to someone with green hair.

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Well she does mention college...If this is true, Derick has influenced Jill’s thinking, and has planted the seed that the boys will need more than the SOTDRT, if they want to pursue higher education.

I hope she gets inspired to get some education too. She seems somewhat interested in Dericks classes. It might have also shown her the poor quality of her education. 

On 3/4/2019 at 5:24 PM, MiddleAgedLady said:

Wish I was a fly on the wall during this class. 

Right Derek... everyone's rights..... well expect for the woman carrying the baby. Not her rights, nope she doesn't get the right to chose.....

I hope being a “voice for the voiceless “ doesn’t mean he’s going after women who need an abortion.  Maybe the dumb fuck is going to go after Roe vs Wade.  What a ignorant bully.

Spoiler

F5D68E43-58CA-4C47-8F8D-2C49E168E55C.jpeg.512f71ea0b5ebff23eb3dc2d232312b7.jpeg

As one of my friends and I recently discussed, Roe v Wade will never be overturned. How else will the Repubs keep the religious-right-single-issue voters on the hook? It wasn't even proposed during the last two years when legislative, executive, and judicial branches all had the majority. If they didn't "save the babies" then, they never will. Gotta keep those single issue voters voting the "right" way and not thinking about anything else! 

But good luck Derick! I do hope you graduate and get a job that supports the family.

4 hours ago, FaithAndReason said:

As one of my friends and I recently discussed, Roe v Wade will never be overturned. How else will the Repubs keep the religious-right-single-issue voters on the hook? It wasn't even proposed during the last two years when legislative, executive, and judicial branches all had the majority. If they didn't "save the babies" then, they never will. Gotta keep those single issue voters voting the "right" way and not thinking about anything else! 

But good luck Derick! I do hope you graduate and get a job that supports the family.

Exactly or it will just be turned over to the states. In some states it is fully legal in others not. But yes, they can't get rid of it, its the proverbial carrot dangled in front of the religious right and they don't want that carrot gone. When Trump got elected and recently with Kavanaugh on the SCOTUS, I had friends singing praises that murder is over. Keep singing.... it isn't going away. Trump drags it out every so often but I highly doubt he really gives a crap. 

22 hours ago, viii said:

I work at a school and we run from Pre-K to Grade 8. Our Pre-K is made up of children aged 3-4. Once they turn 5, they start Kindergarten. (I live in Canada)

My son (we live in Canada too) is in his second year of kindergarten. They do Junior Kindergarten and Senior Kindergarten. All very, very play based. I'm not sure it's doing so well for my little dude who needs a lot more structure in his world - but I do appreciate that he's not sitting at a desk and memorizing. And I do think his teachers tend to teach around what the littles are interested in - and do try to get them OUTSIDE as much as is possible when you go to school in Canada. 
(he does tell me when we drive by "That's my school. I go there. It's loud.") 

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

College might be the public school she's referring to.  Prior to that, I suspect it's "quality" homeschool education (but I'm not sure she's up to it) or Christian school - per Derick.  I believe she'd try hard to make the homeschooling work because she wouldn't want her boys away from her all day.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

I can't imagine the boys asking to go to public school. They might have to sit next to someone with green hair.

or a chick with a nose ring. oh wait...

@Bad Wolf

I've been married 43 years, and there's not a single picture of us kissing. Am I doing something wrong? ?

not even at the wedding itself? TTTT, I don't think I have one, either.. until my kids went on Facebook and posted a pic of Mr. Four and me kissing at our birthday party two years ago.... (at the kids' insistence,  I might add)

Jill is at least taking home schooling seriously and is asking people who home school, which programmes work for them. She isn't just using the same stuff her parents or Anna use. The stuff she is using for Izzy now may be a bit beyond his age though.

She can find all the decent material in the world but it's her ability to teach that's still questionable. 

No one is talking about science or religion when discussing Roe v.Wade in a con law class. It’s not relevant to the case law. 

It won’t be hard for Derrick to get an internship this summer, it likely just won’t be paid. Everyone I know was able to get something during the summer but, if you have only finished your first year, there isn’t much you can do so you aren’t worth paying a salary. You gain experience and learn a lot but you spend a lot of time being a gofer. I interned at the City Attorney’s office after first year, it was awesome but a lot of time was spent running around dragging files or taking messages from one place to another.

I think the problem Derrick will face as a lawyer is that that he will have to stick to facts and case law when it comes to his arguments whether it be in motions or before the court. You can’t be talking about religion when the issue has nothing to do with it. To be a good lawyer, you have to anticipate what the other side will argue, what case law they will use and then you have to find a compelling argument/case law to defeat them. I cannot see Derrick thinking the other side in Roe v. Wade wanted to do anything other than murder babies. It doesn’t seem even want to understand the arguments nor the reasoning on which the Court upheld a woman’s right to an abortion.

Also, public interest law is great but it is the lowest end of the pay scale, especially for a new attorney.  I would bet he would have to have Jim Bob supplement his income for the family to survive. I would prefer to do public interest law but I would never be able to pay the bills. Granted I live in California but I am sure the salaries are much lower in Arkansas.

In Derick's case, I don't think it matters how low the salary is. He just isn't a job type person.

I don't think unpaid internships should be a thing. Surely these large firms and our government could at least pony up minimum wage.

8 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

In Derick's case, I don't think it matters how low the salary is. He just isn't a job type person.

I don't think unpaid internships should be a thing. Surely these large firms and our government could at least pony up minimum wage.

I agree, unpaid internships should not exist. The whole system of unpaid work in exchange for “experience” shuts a lot of people out of certain professional circles since they can’t afford to go without an income. On top of that, the “experience” many unpaid interns get is actually networking and interpersonal connections, not actually practical training. It’s just another way of perpetuating privilege.

Re: Derick's comment about studying Roe v. Wade. I'm pretty sure there had to have been an audible "whoosh" as the entire point of the lesson sailed right over his head.

On 3/5/2019 at 4:10 PM, viii said:

I work at a school and we run from Pre-K to Grade 8. Our Pre-K is made up of children aged 3-4. Once they turn 5, they start Kindergarten. (I live in Canada)

Fellow Canadian here. In Ontario we have two years of kindergarten and lots of people I know did a pre k program the year before that. Pre k isn't government funded so parents who choose it pay out of pocket. 

JK starts the year they turn 4, so kids who have birthdays after the first week of September when school starts are 3 when they start kindergarten. My next youngest sibling has a December birthday after Christmas so he was 3 for four months after starting school. Most pre k programs are half day but starting with JK it's the same hours as all the other kids up to the end of grade 8.

I have a niece and a nephew who were both born the same year. Nephew started full day kindergarten a full year before niece because he was in Ontario and she was in Alberta, even though she was several months older, due to the differences in school age start. The province my partner grew up in was neither of those provinces but also starts at 5 years old.

Ontario clearly likes to be different. ?

15 hours ago, Lisafer said:

Re: Derick's comment about studying Roe v. Wade. I'm pretty sure there had to have been an audible "whoosh" as the entire point of the lesson sailed right over his head.

Derrick must have a pretty flat head, given everything that "whooshes" over it.

Apparently it was Derick’s birthday yesterday! Aside from the wonderful gift of Georgia and Tennessee passing those fucking heartbeat bills, he also (per Instagram) got a Netflix subscription. I wonder what he’ll be watching?

1 hour ago, nickelodeon said:

Apparently it was Derick’s birthday yesterday! Aside from the wonderful gift of Georgia and Tennessee passing those fucking heartbeat bills, he also (per Instagram) got a Netflix subscription. I wonder what he’ll be watching?

Breaking Bad, Weeds, Orange is the New Black

5 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

The Handmaid's Tale (for inspiration), or is that on Hulu?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived