IGNORED

Dillards 74: The Dill in the Pickle

samurai_sarah

4 minutes ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

Ew. And the poppy seeds just came out of nowhere. WTF!

They give it that je ne sais quoi.?

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the picture on IG...I love ritz cracker "breadcrumbs"...this just looks weird. But of course it's a Duggar family favorite so it figures. 

2 minutes ago, bella8050 said:

I saw the picture on IG...I love ritz cracker "breadcrumbs"...this just looks weird. But of course it's a Duggar family favorite so it figures. 

it honestly looks like someone threw up chicken on the Ritz. Ugh! 

I finally agree that she is trying to kill OfJill with her cooking. Why would this monstrosity require two cans of cream of mushroom soup?? Why would you feed this crap to people you love if you’re not under extreme duress?

I will admit I have made something similar to "Chicken on the Ritz". HOWEVER. It only called for a can of cream of mushroom soup. I threw in a ton of veggies, about a cup of chicken broth, some rice, and I used panko breadcrumbs (instead of ritz), chicken, lots of seasonings. Its actually one of the most requested dishes especially in the winter. Its a hearty dish but also not terribly high in sodium. Serve it with garlic bread and a side salad. Bam you got your meat, carbs, veggies, etc

Oh, Jill. The crackers are supposed to be crumbs, not just crushed up. The recipe has a ton of prep work for something that seems to be aspiring to be convenience food, judging by how many processed foods are incorporated. That photo is disgusting. It’s like stroganoff went to Hell ?

Jill, have you thought about making your blog focus "cooking with littles" and actually letting Izzy and Sam "help"?  It's a great educational play opportunity at that age, it will help to excuse your reliance on canned staples (prep work and kids are hard to combine at this age, whereas cans are ready to go and fun to dump), and it will automatically absolve you from any pretty plating.  

Because this on it's own does not look appetizing.  But if you told me Izzy "helped" make it and handled the crackers, my feelings would do a 180 on this post.  

I am having a hard time imagining TEN chicken breasts + 2 cans of cream of mushroom + a whole container of sour cream + the veggies fitting in a 9x13 pan. 

I also wish somebody would tell her to stop boiling chicken breasts. They are already such a tasteless, dry, unremarkable cut of meat, you really need to season them well and not just dump them in boiling water.

Yes! I’m all caught up on all the threads! :banana-dance: Even the Dillard ones! (Why on earth are there so many? And do you guys think Jill and Derick would be proud if they knew they are winning?) Now watch three of them announce pregnancies at once and Jana and the twins all start courting tomorrow. 

Why can’t she do a recipe for a family of 4 or 5?  Aside from the occasional Sunday dinner with friends/family, the majority of her peers (and presumably her target audience) are too young to have mega families that would require this volume of food on a daily basis.  Right out of the gate, she’s making her readers adjust her recipes.  

Jill's recipes are still gross, I hate mushrooms so her using mushroom soup in recipes often turns me off. The crackers are meant to be ground up more than she has and she also definitely has not got the measurements correct.

I follow the Radford family on YouTube and Noel posts recipes regularly, he is a trained chef, so unfair to compare him and Jill too much but his recipes are usually done using canned and frozen stuff to show that good meals can be made on a budget, he lists the ingredients clearly and even the meals that are not what I'd usually eat look nice and make me want to try it, Jill even when she makes things I like puts me off wanting to try it. Maybe she should watch cooking channels and blogs and see how to present them better and cut down on her use of things that are high in salt, sugar or fat.

Here is a picture of the nonbarfy version:

https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/chicken-on-the-ritz/

Jill darling you are getting an “F” in home economics and wiffery.   You may want to go take some classes at your local community college in cooking, teaching and home economics to be an asset to your family rather than a major liability.  

BTW:  Put the ritz crackers in a zip lock and roll over them with a rolling pin or hit them with a cooking mallet.  Do not try to crush them by hand.  

2 hours ago, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

I will admit I have made something similar to "Chicken on the Ritz". HOWEVER. It only called for a can of cream of mushroom soup. I threw in a ton of veggies, about a cup of chicken broth, some rice, and I used panko breadcrumbs (instead of ritz), chicken, lots of seasonings. Its actually one of the most requested dishes especially in the winter. Its a hearty dish but also not terribly high in sodium. Serve it with garlic bread and a side salad. Bam you got your meat, carbs, veggies, etc

Please do NOT feel bad about making something "similar"- it's kinda? sorta? like what I would call chicken divan. I am certain your recipe has more veggies than two greenish-gray sad hunks of broccoli in it, and you don't have two cans plus a stick of better PLUS a tub of sour cream. All she is missing is velveeta chunks. I use cream-of sometimes. Just not cases of the stuff. 

In an alternate dimension yesterday, I made a chicken, broccoli and rice casserole using leftover brown rice, a bag of frozen broccoli, sautéed mushrooms, and a pound of chicken breast (poached in chicken broth and shredded), all held together with a sauce made from chicken broth (leftover from poaching), a bit of flour, and some Parmesan. 

5 minutes ago, Tatar-tot said:

Here is a picture of the nonbarfy version:

https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/chicken-on-the-ritz/

Jill darling you are getting an “F” in home economics and wiffery.   You may want to go take some classes at your local community college in cooking, teaching and home economics to be an asset to your family rather than a major liability.  

BTW:  Put the ritz crackers in a zip lock and roll over them with a rolling pin or hit them with a cooking mallet.  Do not try to crush them by hand.  

See now I'd make that. 

Well along the lines of "Duggar time" i'm gonna say this presentation is "Duggar style " - half assed and unappealing. 

We've seen Muffin making something that actually looks like a California roll on a couple of occasions...she can't post something like that??

I stand by my previous hypothesis that she's posting these vomitous recipes because being a hot mess gets the clicks.    

I don't know if she's purposefully trying to make each recipe look as unappetizing as possible, but she sees her halfassed strategy is working and isn't going to switch it up anytime soon.  

I guess she's ok with being known as a hot mess?  You'd think that she'd have more success as a brand ambassador if she just put in a little effort...what am I thinking, she's a relatable MOM y'all! Amirite? ???????

4 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

Jill has blessed the world with another recipe. This one's called "Chicken on the Ritz." 

*Chicken on the Fritz

5 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

Jill has blessed the world with another recipe. This one's called "Chicken on the Ritz."  

8953357.jpg

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived