IGNORED

Dillards 74: The Dill in the Pickle

samurai_sarah

5 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

That movie Fireproof led to a book or journal called The Love Dare if I remember right. It's how Jirk and his movie wife get back on track in the movie so it was made into a book. ?

The book was already written.  The movie was just thinly veiled advertising.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, acheronbeach said:

The book was already written.  The movie was just thinly veiled advertising.

Ahhhh so the movie followed the book. Well damn. I hope the book was a better read than the movie.

18 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Doesn’t know what is making him gag. So tempted to write, perhaps all the shit that spews out of your mouth is making you gag. 

B4858939-89A6-4576-AA9C-964341E6DE59.png

Eat slugs, Derrick! (Hope that doesn’t bite me in the butt but... last time I checked my wand was fine) ?

37 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

Ahhhh so the movie followed the book. Well damn. I hope the book was a better read than the movie.

IIRC they were released pretty much contemporaneously.  Not 100% sure tho...

1 hour ago, FluffySnowball said:

Eat slugs, Derrick! (Hope that doesn’t bite me in the butt but... last time I checked my wand was fine) ?

The Bible has the answer 

Prove28 The  wicked run when no one is chasing them.

11 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

That movie Fireproof led to a book or journal called The Love Dare if I remember right. It's how Jirk and his movie wife get back on track in the movie so it was made into a book. ?

And based on what I saw in the movie, it seems like most of it is terrible advice for getting a marriage back on track; most of it seems like lovebombing your spouse with grand gestures rather than stuff like, oh, I dunno, having open and honest conversations about your issues, setting appropriate boundaries and expectations for each other, and considering each other's needs and desires when making decisions that affect both of you. 

6 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

And based on what I saw in the movie, it seems like most of it is terrible advice for getting a marriage back on track; most of it seems like lovebombing your spouse with grand gestures rather than stuff like, oh, I dunno, having open and honest conversations about your issues, setting appropriate boundaries and expectations for each other, and considering each other's needs and desires when making decisions that affect both of you. 

So years of resentment CAN'T be cured with a flower delivery to work?  Or spending an ENTIRE day without saying anything dickish to your spouse?

Sarcasm aside, you're totally right.  It's superficial Hallmark movie self-help. 

6 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

So years of resentment CAN'T be cured with a flower delivery to work?  Or spending an ENTIRE day without saying anything dickish to your spouse?

Sarcasm aside, you're totally right.  It's superficial Hallmark movie self-help. 

I know, right? And it comes off as even emptier because it's not gestures to say "I love you and care about you and want to give you a tangible reminder of my deep feelings for you", but gestures to say "LOOK AT ME DOING HUSBAND/BOYFRIEND THINGS. I AM DOING HUSBAND/BOYFRIEND THINGS AND NOW YOU HAVE TO LOVE ME AGAIN AND NOT LEAVE ME OR HOLD ME ACCOUNTABLE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM FOR MY CONSTANT BULLSHITTERY (AND ALSO GIVE ME A BEEJ)". 

In a way it really fits in with the sort of theological messages Kirk and his ilk subscribe to: you can be an utter garbage person of the highest order, but if you do some empty performative gestures to show how much you lurve Jeebus, it's all good and you no longer have to be held accountable for your actions, no matter how toxic or damaging they might be. It's not forgiveness or redemption; it's letting toxic, shitty people continue to be toxic and shitty because they went through the right motions. 

On 3/15/2019 at 12:57 PM, nausicaa said:

Lord give me the confidence of a mediocre white man. 

This! 

On 3/16/2019 at 9:04 AM, AussieKrissy said:

Doesn’t know what is making him gag. So tempted to write, perhaps all the shit that spews out of your mouth is making you gag. 

B4858939-89A6-4576-AA9C-964341E6DE59.png

Do I have to get instagram so I can comment ”it’s probably your personality” or has somebody already done that?

Thinking about the Hillsong vs. Grace Community conversation on the JinJer thread, and I realized I can actually see Jill going the Hillsong route. She so desperately wants to be liked and included, and making people feel welcome is a huge part of Hillsong’s success. They’re basic beliefs are consistent with hers (as far as we know). The major differences are personal “lifestyle” things that Hillsong doesn’t speak to either way - they don’t encourage lots of babies, but they don’t discourage it either. The Dillard’s hipster-for-Jesus aesthetic would fit in pretty well, and I’m fairly sure Jill would learn to dance to the praise band if it meant she gets to belong somewhere. 

On 3/15/2019 at 7:57 AM, nausicaa said:

I love when people who proudly state that don't know much about a field then feel confident declaring what is the best within that field. Jim-Bob has repeatedly announced that he has not consumed media for the past thirty years. So that means he hasn't seen, among others, Heat, Fargo, Life is Beautiful, Shawshank Redemption, Memento, Schindler's List, and Silence of the Lambs. Not to mention all of the movies he missed before becoming Fundie. (Something tells me he wasn't the type of guy to study Citizen Kane and Hitchcock's oeuvre.)

And yet, he is such an innately discerning viewer, he can let you know what the best movie ever made in the past century of cinema is. Not JB's favorite movie, no. The objectively best film ever created.

Lord give me the confidence of a mediocre white man. 

Well heck, the creativity and innovation of less "artsy" films like Jaws, Jurassic Park, and Star Wars are critical pieces of cinematic expression. Plus the loveliness of Sense and Sensibility and Little Women which my SAHD cousins love, by the way. Geez fundies not every secular film is gore and sex. Hell, there's enough of that in the bible which is frankly bordering on having R-rated content. Oh, to give up critical thinking and have fundie "logic." 

5 hours ago, mpheels said:

Thinking about the Hillsong vs. Grace Community conversation on the JinJer thread, and I realized I can actually see Jill going the Hillsong route. She so desperately wants to be liked and included, and making people feel welcome is a huge part of Hillsong’s success. They’re basic beliefs are consistent with hers (as far as we know). The major differences are personal “lifestyle” things that Hillsong doesn’t speak to either way - they don’t encourage lots of babies, but they don’t discourage it either. The Dillard’s hipster-for-Jesus aesthetic would fit in pretty well, and I’m fairly sure Jill would learn to dance to the praise band if it meant she gets to belong somewhere. 

From what I see on the C3 (Cross Church College) Instagram, C3, which is the "ministry" Derick glommed onto before he discovered that law school was a more useful-appearing way to continue to avoid actually working to provide for his family, goes for that hipster-for-Jesus, "we include everyone (unless you're gay)" vibe, but with both Hillsong and Cross Church, I get the vibe that Jill would be subtly excluded and ostracized. They both seem like churches where a high school mentality prevails, but no one's going to be outright mean; Jill is a prime target for that subtle "we will never say anything to your face but we will make you keenly aware that you will never fit in with us cool hipsters for Jesus and we're only pretending to be friends with you" shit. You know how I said Jill reminded me of myself in adolescence? I speak from experience (just with a lot less Jesus). 

About his gagging... as gross as it is that he shared that on tv... I'm convinced he just doesn't know what he's doing when he runs, and he pushes himself too hard. It's a (bodily) coping mechanism that a lot of athletes experience. So he's made it out like its some terrible thing wrong with him, when its just nature's way of reminding you to take care of yourself.
(There's a name but I can't think of it)

10 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

Do I have to get instagram so I can comment ”it’s probably your personality” or has somebody already done that?

I would love to but I like spying on them too much to be blocked. ?

@nastyhobbitses, I co-sign 100%. Many of these hipster churches can be just a catty pack of mean girls. Jill can be extra, but I don't think she deserves to be the target of mean girls. It's why I felt sad she couldn't sincerely befriend that Muslim woman. I suspect that woman would have been a far truer friend to Jill than anyone at Cross Church. 

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:33 PM, Anna Bolinas said:

Not to seem like a shill, because I already talked about the Cinema Snob when Kendra said "War Room" was her favorite movie, but uh...the Cinema Snob's episode on "Saving Christmas" is hysterical. And to add to the discussion on Candace Cameron, you'd think that in a movie where Kirk Cameron is playing himself at his own family Christmas party, his actress sister would at least make a cameo, but I guess even she thought the movie was beneath her lol.

That episode was awesome! The absolute insanity of Saving Christmas and Cinema Snobs hilarious remarks.. Kirk Cameron convincing his brother-in-law who is down because he thinks Christmas should be about helping people in need, bothered by all of the money spent on Christmas and Kirk Cameron talking him out of that. Convincing him that God really wants us to blow money and as money as possible on ourselves and family for Christmas and the crazy way he convinces him. Christmas trees are okay because trees or wood or both exist when Jesus was born. 

That episode, War Room and Old Fashion are tied for my three favorite Cinema Snob's reviews. Oh, wait and the God's Not Dead ones. 

On 3/9/2019 at 2:04 PM, onekidanddone said:

Breaking Bad, Weeds, Orange is the New Black

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina! :stir-pot:   (I really liked it)

On 3/15/2019 at 12:56 AM, EmmieJ said:

First, Jill has beautiful eyes.  Jill Rodrigues should take note of Jill's much more appropriate use of eye liner.

Second, not too impressed with the top.  It's like 100's of others - a flowery patterned tee shirt.  

Not saying this just because it's Duggar advertised, I really think that shirt is ugly AF.

3 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

@nastyhobbitses, I co-sign 100%. Many of these hipster churches can be just a catty pack of mean girls. Jill can be extra, but I don't think she deserves to be the target of mean girls. It's why I felt sad she couldn't sincerely befriend that Muslim woman. I suspect that woman would have been a far truer friend to Jill than anyone at Cross Church. 

Yeah, and I think sadly, Jill is drawn to that clique mentality.  She grew up in what was essentially an overgrown clique.  She likes the silly rules and the sense of belonging.  She likes the security and the feeling of being special that comes from knowing not EVERYONE is luck enough to belong to your elite group.  She had a taste of being the Queen Bee.  I think she gravitates towards that sort of environment because it's what she's used to and what she wants to be a part of again.  

But sadly, outside of the clique she was raised in, she will struggle to fit in.  She doesn't have Jessa's wit or ability to glean what's popular and then express herself accordingly.  She doesn't have Jinger's style or humility.  So while her sisters have been able to effortlessly make the leap into the top ranks of the Modern Christian Young Mom set,  Jill seems lost.  She wants to belong, she wants to fit in, but she clearly struggles to understand how to do that.  

And honestly, I'm sure Jill is a nice person, but I've never personally wanted to hang out with her.  She seems like she would be a very difficult person for many to hang out with: she needs a lot of validation, she needs that validation near constantly, she's emotionally immature, she still has issues with superiority and judgement...that's going to put a lot of people off.  I think she would have done better if she had married like Joy: someone in the same circles as her that wasn't going to try to get her to move out of the environment she was raised in.  

Does Jessa's "tribe"  (Sierra, Taco Lady, maybe someone else?) ever include Jill?   I'm wondering if she even rubs them the wrong way.

35 minutes ago, freshlemonade said:

Does Jessa's "tribe"  (Sierra, Taco Lady, maybe someone else?) ever include Jill?   I'm wondering if she even rubs them the wrong way.

I've never seen Jill hanging out with them. I got the vibe many years ago (Jill's courtship/wedding and then Jessa's wedding) that Jessa doesn't like Jill that much. 

Honestly, Jill needs friends. But I think she was never really taught how to make friends. She knows how to be smiley and friendly to people who are proselytization targets (but never actually be their friend because they are lost heathens and your job is to bring them to Jesus by being just friendly enough), and knows how to hang out with people who are exactly like her, but I think that she (and other fundie kids) was never really given the tools or impetus to make actual friends, and be a good friend. Some fundies figured it out (Jessa definitely did, and it seems like Jinger has), but Jill was, as others pointed out, queen bee in her family pecking order, too busy raising her siblings, and/or too busy being the First Duggar Girl To Marry, and it's meant that she's had little time or impetus to meet people and form real relationships with them. 

Jill has blessed the world with another recipe. This one's called "Chicken on the Ritz."  The ratios are wonky. A whole lot of wet ingredients, 10 breasts, and one 10 ounce bag of a vegetable. 

Makes one 9×13″ pan 

2 (15 oz.) cans cream of mushroom soup

1 (16 oz.) tub sour cream

1 stick butter (1/2 cup), melted

1 box Ritz crackers (4 sleeves), crunched

10 chicken breasts, cooked, cubed

1 (10 oz.) frozen mixed veggies OR broccoli, cooked 

2 t. poppy seeds

4 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

Jill has blessed the world with another recipe. This one's called "Chicken on the Ritz."  The ratios are wonky. A whole lot of wet ingredients, 10 breasts, and one 10 ounce bag of a vegetable. 

Makes one 9×13″ pan 

2 (15 oz.) cans cream of mushroom soup

1 (16 oz.) tub sour cream

1 stick butter (1/2 cup), melted

1 box Ritz crackers (4 sleeves), crunched

10 chicken breasts, cooked, cubed

1 (10 oz.) frozen mixed veggies OR broccoli, cooked 

2 t. poppy seeds

It sounds and looks awful. 

Ew. And the poppy seeds just came out of nowhere. WTF!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived