IGNORED

Spanky Sproul 3: Rationality Is NOT in the Mix

Coconut Flan

@older than allosaurs thanks for sharing your story; hope you and your kids are OK.

Thank you. We're all fine. It was a long time, lots of therapy, and for me a wonderful second marriage ago. Now it's just this Sproul obsession, plus my inability to look at or listen to our Narcissist in Chief.

@MamaJunebug thank you. Where I connect with this is that you probably can't give an authentic apology, or an honest try at making amends, if you believe you are unlovable and unforgivable yourself. If you experience that feeling of divine love and forgiveness, however that manifests, you've got the foundation for the accountability that really matters (to me), with our fellow creatures. I don't believe in a judging deity, but I do believe we belong to each other and our actions, both large and small, count for something.

• Love 6

On 6/14/2019 at 3:15 PM, older than allosaurs said:

You only have to repent to God, not to -- just picking a few at random -- your children, your mother, your new wife, your former parishioners? I do grasp the concept of God's grace and forgiveness, but that quote seems like it come from Ima Addict's  Big Golden Book of Denial.

Exactly! I think this goes to prove what a hardcore alcoholic Sproul really is. He may (or may not) be sober, but he still thinks, functions and justifies himself like the stereotypical selfish drunk -- extreme denial and one lie after another.

I followed a link from Sproul's twitter to an interview he did. It was really hard to listen to. I couldn't make it all the way through. Too much spin. So much whining and playing the victim. Someone posted a great comment there though. Well worth quoting here.

Carverelle 8 days ago

@19:50 Sproul is asked if waking up in the drunk tank caused him to realize he had a drinking problem, if he was an alcoholic. His "I don't know" is very troubling. If after everything he's been through he can't own up to the fact that he has a very serious drinking problem then his odds of staying off the booze are poor. Such an evasive response is only too typical of an alcoholic. Even the most wicked heathens know better than to drive drunk WITH KIDS IN THE CAR. Even the most wicked heathens would immediately admit to having a drinking problem if they got busted for drunk driving with kids in the car. If that's not a "problem" what is it?

What he also fails to mention is the reason he couldn't remember a thing about that evening is he was not just drunk but also stoned out of his mind on his wife's opioids (confirmed by his wife's daughter on her social media account). If he were repentant why no mention that?

The testimony of multiple eye witness accounts is RC Jr has for many years had a serious drinking problem. But his drinking problem hasn't been just a personal/private one. He's been very public about his drinking. He's boasted many times about it and written many articles about alcohol, always positive with never a warning about the potential risks other than "drink in moderation." But what has been Sproul Jr's measure of moderation? Not what any moderate person would consider moderate. Throwing keggers at church functions and spiking the kiddies' punch bowl with Everclear isn't "drinking in moderation." Binge drinking isn't moderation. Actively encouraging young people who already have their own very obvious drinking problems, including their own DUIs, to keep drinking anyway isn't moderation. It's reckless and immature. Sproul Jr caused many to stumble by his habitual abuse of alcohol and encouraging others to do likewise. He's always been in denial about that and he obviously still is. He's also in denial about his drunk driving. Left unsaid is the fact that he's been drunk driving for many years. He only got caught the once.

I'm glad to hear him say that "alcohol isn't for me." I wish I could believe him. But in light of everything else he said, and what he left unsaid, I don't trust him. The fact that he still can't own up to a lifetime drinking abuses just makes it that much more probable he'll fall off the wagon. As long as he keeps living in denial he hasn't even started on his road to recovery.

Everything's good though because he told God he was sorry (that he got caught). All is forgiven between him and Jesus (and his enabling wife), so that's all that matters. All the people he's harmed over the years have no right to feel hurt. He owes them nothing at all, not even the courtesy of an "I'm sorry."

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

For a recovering addict & alcoholic’s explanation of why a functioning alcoholic is the most dangerous of all, browse through Kristen Johnson’s memoir, GUTS.  She writes with incredible humor & candor. 

And yes, she shot to fame as an alien in human drag on “3rd Rock From The Sun.”  So fitting, somehow! 

• Thank You 5

8 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

And yes, she shot to fame as an alien in human drag on “3rd Rock From The Sun.”  So fitting, somehow! 

No mention of 3rd Rock is complete without this: 

Spoiler

Off to look for Kristen's book now,

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, LydiaAnn said:

Today is his birthday. Naturally, he posted a “Happy Birthday to Me” entry. ?

https://rcsprouljr.com/happy-birthday-to-me-in-the-grip-of-gratitude/

"...and grateful for the greatest earthly gift I’ve ever been given, my wife, Lisa."

Again with the totally unnecessary "Lisa > Denise" stuff that can only hurt his poor children. Though I guess we can thank heavens that for once he was able to restrain himself enough not to use the word "lover" when describing their marriage. *shudder* 

"For she is my queen."

We know. We know. WE. KNOW. 

• Upvote 9

Darby guested on the theology gals podcast recently. The episode is supposed to be about celebrity pastors, but mostly seems an excuse for them to interview her. She discusses her grandfather a little, but thankfully not her dad. I had never heard her speak so I found it interesting. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

On 7/2/2019 at 8:08 PM, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Darby guested on the theology gals podcast recently. The episode is supposed to be about celebrity pastors, but mostly seems an excuse for them to interview her. She discusses her grandfather a little, but thankfully not her dad. I had never heard her speak so I found it interesting. 

Celebrity Pastors with Darby Stouffer (R. C. Sproul’s Granddaughter) is such a revealing interview. The very first question they ask is "What was it like growing up with RC?" That question is an obvious slap at RC Jr's new book, Growing Up (With) R.C.  The entire interview avoids any questions about Darby's father RC Jr,  a "celebrity pastor" in his own right. Darby never once makes any reference to her father and the interviewers, no doubt by prior arrangement, never bring up anything related to RC Jr. It's as though he never existed, or he must have died many years ago. Darby does come close several times to specifically mentioning her dad in response to a question about celebrity pastors, including the "extremely difficult year of 2016," but then she pulls back each time and only gives a vague answer. They do ask about Darby's other family members, including her brother Campbell, her sister Shannon, and her mother Denise. Darby speaks of the "deep grief" of losing her mother to cancer and the loss of her sister, all in the span of a year. But not once is there any reference to RC Jr. If you didn't know about RC Jr you'd assume from this interview that Darby was raised without a father -- that she was raised by her mother in her grandfather's home. To me what (or who) Darby doesn't ever make mention of in the interview speaks volumes.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 8

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone know what this is about? Lisa is claiming that she (or R.C.?) is the cousin of a member of INXS.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I want to add that I mean absolutely no shade to Maili. From her own blog posts, she is a  smart, thoughtful person, and she writes well, considerably more clearly than Lisa.

2 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Does anyone know what this is about? Lisa is claiming that she (or R.C.?) is the cousin of a member of INXS.

Per her Facebook, he is married to one of her cousins.

Also per Facebook, she and RC are the owners/founders of Dunamis Fellowship--The Teaching Outreach of RC Sproul, which is confusing in that Dunamis Fellowship is a Reformed Presbyterian ministry that has been around for years and doesn't seem to mention any Sprouls on its website.

Lisa is also giving props to Maili, "an emerging bud blossoming into deliberate beauty," for her 4.0 gpa ... in homeschool?

image.thumb.png.601a429de4fb38e487ccf380c10e8af4.png

Edited by older than allosaurs
thought of something
  • Thank You 3

3 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

I'm wondering if it's Andrew's wife that one of them is related to? Her name is Marlina Neeley Farriss, and according to Google, they got married in Florida.

Lisa just posted a comment on her Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dreaming_marly/

Could Marlina be related to the Dustin Neeley from this interview? https://www.ligonier.org/blog/burk-parsons-serving-rc-sproul/

• Thank You 1

On 8/8/2019 at 5:58 PM, older than allosaurs said:

I want to add that I mean absolutely no shade to Maili. From her own blog posts, she is a  smart, thoughtful person, and she writes well, considerably more clearly than Lisa.

image.thumb.png.601a429de4fb38e487ccf380c10e8af4.png

That poor girl. I bet she is going to run like hell out of that house the minute she turns 18.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

I hope her siblings and maybe her grandparents support her when she decides to leave. At the same time it would probably be really really hard to leave her younger siblings in this house of horror and craziness. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

I'd screen shot this one but I don't know how. WTF? 

Bless her heart, what was Spanky denied this time?    Is she butt hurt that he is not getting Ligonier money or did his self published book not pay for itself? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

I'd screen shot this one but I don't know how. WTF? 

My guess is that one/some of the adult children have spoken up again somewhere.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, older than allosaurs said:

My guess is that one/some of the adult children have spoken up again somewhere.

Yup. 

Wicked seed. Wicked deeds.

And Mrs. Spanky is PISSED.  Money problems chez Spanky?

Will Lisa be forced go out and get a J. O. B.?

I really hate to see this litigated on social media, but it's incredibly revealing of Lisa's character--definitely more into hissing and spitting than taking the high road. Very old Testament-y.  She's one step away from imprecatory prayers against her step children. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

Is anyone out there strong enough to listen to this episode of the Purpose Driven Wife?  "Today is a special episode of Jesus Changes Everything, in that the chairs have been changed up. Lisa Sproul is the interviewer, and RC is taking questions about his scandals and tribulations that he highlighted in his book, Growing Up (With) RC, released earlier this year."  Jesus Changes Everything

ETA: Apparently, Lisa is developing a nutrition consulting business called the Well Nourished Life

RC was linking to his new thing, the Dunamis Fellowship, but the facebook page has no content.  Spanky is def trying to get back into the preacher game. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Howl said:

Spanky is def trying to get back into the preacher game. 

Yep. Kinda hard to do though when you've got a congregation of one.

Re: Lisa Sproul's rage tweet. This is almost certainly aimed at one or more of the adult Sproul children. 

• Upvote 8

17 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Re: Lisa Sproul's rage tweet.

Good point.  Definitely a rage tweet. 

• Upvote 5

Shortly before the rage tweet by LS, Darby posted that it all started unraveling two years ago today, before the wedding. That must refer to Delaney and JTP's wedding, which was in September. I'm thinking the rage tweet could be connected to that. I remember that RCjr. wouldn't attend the wedding or give his blessing and just generally made a stink about things but I don't remember if we found out exactly what he (or more likely the Mrs.) was so upset about. 

• Upvote 6

11 minutes ago, Alcyone said:

Shortly before the rage tweet by LS, Darby posted that it all started unraveling two years ago today, before the wedding. That must refer to Delaney and JTP's wedding, which was in September. I'm thinking the rage tweet could be connected to that. I remember that RCjr. wouldn't attend the wedding or give his blessing and just generally made a stink about things but I don't remember if we found out exactly what he (or more likely the Mrs.) was so upset about. 

Maybe, but... I thought Darby had all her social media blocked to all but a few close trusted friends. Pretty sure Queen Psychobitch isn't on that list.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Banyan said:

Maybe, but... I thought Darby had all her social media blocked to all but a few close trusted friends. Pretty sure Queen Psychobitch isn't on that list.

Well lucky for us, Lisa posted all about it back last December and has not so far seen fit to delete the evidence: https://thepurposedrivenwife.com/hearing-god/f/his-sovereign-plan-glory-and-grace

And just today she has another post about the evils of adult children who try to break up a marriage.

https://thepurposedrivenwife.com/motherhood/f/life-in-the-blender?fbclid=IwAR1owHedCVQPhBic-5I7wDmewweoYKAGm-LrwNzxsOdU_TaUGLao35bVwk0

It's plugged on Facebook with my new favorite Bible quotation: What God has joined together, let man not turn to chunder.

Edited by older than allosaurs
because I just saw a new blog post
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

To give a child who has hate brooding in his heart permission to not love is to give him permission to dishonor God's Word for the sake of his own feelings. Children are little sinners. Regardless of what type of marriage, they will seek to divide mom and dad for selfish gain. As adults, this has lasting effects with the parental relationships. Why? Because those adult children are seeking to destroy what God has joined together,  promoting  slander, lies, deception, distrust and disloyalty, often flowing from a root of jealousy. Where jealousy is, there is every kind of evil (James 3:16).  Check yourself if you are in that role.   

From the above linked post. The subtlety of it all! Whomever could she be addressing?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5

57 minutes ago, older than allosaurs said:

What God has joined together, let man not turn to chunder.

I was recently at a cocktail party, and the hostess had made the most divine chunder dip, served in a loaf of rye bread. Little did I know that chunder was... married people!!!

But in all seriousness, don't you love to imagine Spanky cringing when he reads this ignorant shit? I do. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked and unlocked this topic
  • nelliebelle1197 locked this topic