IGNORED

Jinjer 46: Felicity and Her Hair Coverings

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

Felicity is cute. 

Cute baby, but that POMPOM on her beanie looks bigger than her head. :pb_lol: Maybe it is the sky in the back making it look enourmous.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Vivi_music said:

Cute baby, but that POMPOM on her beanie looks bigger than her head. :pb_lol: Maybe it is the sky in the back making it look enourmous.

I suppose it is a pompom, but I think it looks like a plume.  Poor Felicity looks like a majorette.  All she needs is a baton and majorette boots.

I read comments on that picture and someone snubbed pregnancy speculation with “Jinger said she wants a few years with just Felicity.” Anyone know if/when/where she said this?

I like this hat. It looks both soft and comfy, yet outrageous. It’s got ‘flair”

19 minutes ago, Pete Pickles said:

I read comments on that picture and someone snubbed pregnancy speculation with “Jinger said she wants a few years with just Felicity.” Anyone know if/when/where she said this?

I don’t personally recall her ever saying anything like that. 

32 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I don’t personally recall her ever saying anything like that. 

Yeah, I feel like a Duggar daughter announcing that she was family planning--however vaguely--would blow up FJ and be memorable.

I love Felicity’s jeggjngs! So cute. 

You can tell that JinJer are head over heels in love with their baby and I really doubt that they care about her eye colour. There are so many other things they can be criticised for but imo that this isn’t one of them. 

I remember when my first baby was born, I didn’t care what he looked like - those mama bear love hormones made me think he was THE most beautiful baby in the history of the world. Looking back he was a bit squished looking and he needed to grow into some of his features. But at the time he could have had purple eyes with yellow polka dots and I would have thought they were gorgeous. 

Jinger’s current Instagram story is all about how she is embracing the KonMari method. She says she was inspired by Sierra and most of what she posted are pictures of Felicity’s room and ways she has organized clothing and hair bows.     I spent Saturday cleaning and organizing my kitchen. I can get behind decluttering and making things more functional, but I don’t think I could go full Marie Kondo in my house.

13 minutes ago, Alice in Fundieland said:

Jinger’s current Instagram story is all about how she is embracing the KonMari method. She says she was inspired by Sierra and most of what she posted are pictures of Felicity’s room and ways she has organized clothing and hair bows.     I spent Saturday cleaning and organizing my kitchen. I can get behind decluttering and making things more functional, but I don’t think I could go full Marie Kondo in my house.

To the bolded:  I love Marie Kondo, watching her on Netflix not actually putting her into action at the Pook residence.

I watched an episode and a half of the show, and I'm fairly mystified. This isn't a criticism at all, but besides the part at the beginning where they close their eyes and thank their house (which I think is cool!) it all seems like fairly basic organization/de-cluttering? Like she has some nice tips for how to store things and how to decide what's worth keeping, but I don't know what's got everyone so in a frenzy? Don't get me wrong, I think it's all good stuff. Maybe if I had a house and kids it would speak to me more. I've seen people on the flip side getting really angry that she supposedly tells you to get rid of most of your books. Well, relax. Just don't get rid of them, then. To paraphrase Elizabeth Bennet, "They're your books, you may keep as many of them as you please. Marie Kondo will never know!"

I dont like her "it must bring you joy" concept. Silverware doesn't bring me joy. Neither do pants or most socks. But they're useful. Toilet paper doesn't bring me joy either. Trash cans dont bring me joy. I could go on and on, but I have a lot of things that I use and would have issues if I didn't have them that dont bring me joy, they just save me from having issues. 

We’re planning to sell our condo and buy a house this spring/summer, so decluttering is kind of what I live for right now. That said, I’m so cynical at this point that I saw Jinger’s post and just assumed she was hopping on the trendy decluttering train so she would seem more relatable to people her age. 

14 minutes ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

I dont like her "it must bring you joy" concept. Silverware doesn't bring me joy. Neither do pants or most socks. But they're useful. Toilet paper doesn't bring me joy either. Trash cans dont bring me joy. I could go on and on, but I have a lot of things that I use and would have issues if I didn't have them that dont bring me joy, they just save me from having issues. 

Yeah - the joy thing is schlocky but the way I look at it...toilet paper doesn’t bring me joy when I have it.  But if I didn’t have it and was in a panic and then got some I’d feel joy.

no joy from trash cans but tidiness brings me joy and I couldn’t have that without trash cans, swiffers, sponges, etc.

I’d replace “joy” with “my life is better for having this thing” which can be practical or sentimental.

The Kondo method is basically summed up as "get rid of most things/go more minimalist". It's really not that much more complex, though it involves the intermediary step of holding a bag of lentils while deciding if they bring you joy.

I wonder how many of Felicity's headbands/bows/hats bring joy to Jinger? My guess is all of them. ?

Last Monday, my oldest daughter took me to a showing of They Shall Not Grow Old for my birthday.  After the feature was over, they had a 30 minute short about how Peter Jackson made the documentary.  They had to adjust the film speeds of many (maybe all) of the clips,  sort through the audio files of the Imperial War Museum of British veterans talking about their experiences in WWI and so on.  To illustrate the battle scenes, Peter could not rely in movie footage as it was not possible to take movie cameras into battle.  (That would change by the time  of WWII.)  For the battle scenes, Peter used drawing from a magazine produced for the home front.  Among his archive of WWI materials, he found that he had basically the entire run of that magazine.  Peter Jackson became interested in the Great War because his grandfather to whom the film is dedicated served in the British Army from 1910 to 1920 and of course fought in that war.  Captain Jackson was wounded thrice and was forced to retire from the Army because of his injuries.  

Thank goodness that some of us have archival personalities!

I started Kon Mari'ing my house last year.  I have gotten rid of so much stuff it's incredible!  Probably donated about 20 bags of stuff and thrown out some things as well.  It's been amazing and VERY freeing.  Even without major tidying, my apartment looks okay.

I also get the sparking joy thing as well.  I mean, if you're only keeping things you love, you'll love what you have (and in my case, be less likely to keep buying things).  I did downsize my silverware as well, as a single woman I realized I probably didn't need 10+ each of forks, knives and spoons (well, spoons I do, 'cause they're the socks in the the dryer of the cutlery world).

I would highly recommend giving it a shot.   I didn't worry about whether any of my foodstuffs sparked joy as much as why I had cans of food that  had expired in 2015 though (and I kept my toilet paper without worrying about whether it sparked joy as well).

The sparking joy thing worked best for me with my clothes, and books (since like many people, I had trouble getting rid of my books).

I went a bit Marie Kondo on my bedroom today. Not that I’ve ever read or seen anything BY her. Just read/seen things about her. I was sorting out really old stuff, like love letters from boyfriends in senior school, and invites to balls at university. I sort of had the ‘does it spark joy’ thing going on, but really it was more like ‘does this add to my life happiness right now, or does it actually make me think of bad times’. I got rid of a whole heap of stuff.

I have watched several of the episode's on Netflix and I really liked Marie. I need to get my house more organized and declutter some. But I found the idea of sparking joy to be really good. Of course not everything in my house is going to spark joy. But when you are trying to wittle down your stuff because there is just so much of it, looking at whether certain things like clothes and other stuff actually bring joy to you is an easier way to differentiate what is important to you versus what you are just hanging onto because. I will never be a minimalist and I will likely never use her whole method but I appreciate it.

I also think that she doesn't bully people into getting rid of stuff they do really think is important. One lady on the show actually said that they appreciated how Marie could see certain things were very important to her and so rather than making her feel bad for keeping them, Marie seemed very happy that she had those items still.

I love my books so I'm not going to be getting rid of all of those. But looking at my books (and reading them) really does spark joy for me. If they were taking over my entire house, maybe I would look at clearing some of them out. But I have enough space that they are not so I can keep them and collect some more. My books might not spark joy for someone else so if it was there house, then they should probably get rid of them. But they do for me.

42 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

I wonder how many of Felicity's headbands/bows/hats bring joy to Jinger? My guess is all of them. ?

Funny you should ask. F466A79B-D4B7-453F-A00D-C716D2CBC673.thumb.jpeg.94a745348c8e02c633c8720d95a63738.jpeg

My dad got me Marie Kondo’s book years ago hoping it would inspire me to clean my room. I lost it in my clutter. I think that says a lot about me.

I think that only watching the Netflix show does the KonMari method a disservice. There is a lot more detail and nuance to her method in the books. I followed her steps over the last year and it really changed how I look at my stuff. It has worked for me in the way that a lot of decluttering rules haven't. It really does give your home a lift when you like or use everything around you. It has also made me a lot more conscious about what I bring into my small apartment.

To me, the mindset change is the beauty of it. If you're already good at decluttering, it probably isn't for you. But as someone who held onto things and attached a lot of sentiment/memories to banal objects it made a big difference.  It's not about minimalism or about getting rid of useful stuff. It's about appreciating and respecting the stuff you have.

I'm not an evangelical supporter of hers or anything, but most of the internet backlash is coming from a misunderstanding of the concepts and I'm exhausted by it. I could go on an on but I'll refrain.

I have started to adopt some of the folding techniques of KonMari.  I'm amazed at how much more I get in a drawer.  And at times my definition of Joy might be - is this old tshirt so rag worn I really out to toss it out?  (Hung clothing I put through a year long - sorry folks, I live in Missouri - I have to get through all four seasons so it takes all year - process where I turn the hangers the opposite direction and rehang things I've worn the correct direction.  At the end of the year I'll be able to see what I didn't wear and review them).  

I threw out an old Adidas teeshirt today. Thing is, it was a ‘vintage’ Adidas that I bought in New York, maybe 10 years ago. So sort of double vintage. I looked at it, and thought how cool I used to be. And then I remembered how unhappy I was at the time I wore it. And also it used to make my tits feel a bit weird and show-offy. So out it went. And I feel good about that.

I am never getting rid of my books. They give me joy, every one of them. Call me Jeremy but you will rip my books from my cold dead hands. If I got rid of everything in my house that didn't give me joy the only thing left would be the books and the cats! 

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived