IGNORED

Jinjer 46: Felicity and Her Hair Coverings

Coconut Flan

Being one of many doesn't make it right or less harmful. Jeremy makes these hateful statements and it's good to discuss them. I live in a place that doesn't have many fundies, so no, not mainstream beliefs for me. 

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there is any surprise that Jeremy is as repugnant as the rest of them it's because he is not blatant about it. Frankly we've gotten spoiled by having Derick around, he's like nasty fundie Groundhog Day - endless repeat of vile and stupid. The truth is most of the rest of them likely fall very close to his thinking if not even worse, but they happen to have a filter between their brain and their mouth at least some of the time which he does not. And while all of us can easily roll our eyes at yet another idiotic tweet from Derick, and the mainstream media may even pick it up on occasion, very few will do yeoman's work like VelociRaptor and sit through a Jeremy sermon which is just as offensive, if not more. Hell, many people probably saw that post and the reaction was tl;dr. That's really the only source of the surprise here...not that we're some sort of naive morons who think that everywhere is San Francisco.

1 hour ago, AtlanticTug said:

If there is any surprise that Jeremy is as repugnant as the rest of them it's because he is not blatant about it. Frankly we've gotten spoiled by having Derick around, he's like nasty fundie Groundhog Day - endless repeat of vile and stupid. The truth is most of the rest of them likely fall very close to his thinking if not even worse, but they happen to have a filter between their brain and their mouth at least some of the time which he does not. And while all of us can easily roll our eyes at yet another idiotic tweet from Derick, and the mainstream media may even pick it up on occasion, very few will do yeoman's work like VelociRaptor and sit through a Jeremy sermon which is just as offensive, if not more. Hell, many people probably saw that post and the reaction was tl;dr. That's really the only source of the surprise here...not that we're some sort of naive morons who think that everywhere is San Francisco.

I like to hope most people took the time to at least skim my recap. Just in case you’re right and people skipped it, here’s a short list of important points from that Bible Study (which was held in February 2016):

- Jeremy claimed Biblical physical punishment causes no physical harm to a child. He says nothing about emotional/psychological harm, probably because he doesn’t believe that’s a thing.

- He made pretty judgmental comments about young parents - specifically that a young dad he saw at Chick Fil’A couldn’t know how to love his daughter because he was just a kid who had a kid.  

- He also made disgusting Transphobic comments about Devina Keswani, who was just 6 years old at the time. 

If I have time in the future then I’ll try to recap more of the videos. 

In defense of those of us who do not stray much from the Duggar or Bates forums, some of us can only handle so much crazy. To expand into JRod or Anderson territory might push some of us into the insanity zone.

In defense of those of us who do not stray much from the Duggar or Bates forums, some of us can only handle so much crazy. To expand into JRod or Anderson territory might push some of us into the insanity zone.
No kidding! The only other forum I visit regularly is Maxhell, and I recently had to take a hiatus from that one for my own sanity. [emoji23]

A Duggar exclusive poster just made a right ass of herself.  She is not indicative of EVERY forum specific poster. But, their crazy has to be remarked on regularly. And more so because the tv show dilutes it.

12 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

It's definitely gotten worse after the Russians elected 45, with "evangelical" support. Not enough vomit emojis to express my disgust.

And how any Christian can look at 45 and not pray he’s struck by lightning is mind boggling to me. He understands Christ’s teachings less than my cat. 

7 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

He made pretty judgmental comments about young parents - specifically that a young dad he saw at Chick Fil’A couldn’t know how to love his daughter because he was just a kid who had a kid.  

So I guess his SILs and BIL who had kids at 19/20 (Ben, Kendra, Joy) are all just dumbfucks incapable of loving their children because they're so young.

Look, I'm all for taking your damn time with having kids and not having them when you're super young and, in these people's cases, have been emotionally and intellectually stunted, but they all seem to have stepped up to the plate and seem to be loving parents to their children. But the All-Knowing, All-Judging Jeremy has spoken: young parents don't know how to love their children. Sorry, Joy, Kendra, and Ben, but your BIL has decreed it. 

Jeremy probably also knows a whole lot on cutting down your healthcare costs; after all, his head is so far up his ass he can DIY his colonoscopies. 

I can't believe I'm about to defend Ben. We have seen him interact with his boys many times in the pictures and videos that Jessa posts. From those indications he seems to really be enjoying fatherhood and seems to be a more Hands-On father than what I am guessing some fundies are. Jeremy strikes me as more the "I have trophies they're called my children" father who would want credit for "babysitting" his children.

I am also pleased with Joy having very limited social media and Kendra being off of social media when it comes to sharing about both of their children.

15 hours ago, SassyPants said:

That's why I avoid those two as well and didn't recommend them.  They are both not good for my blood pressure. :angry-fire:

There are less stressful threads.  People who haven't met the Arndts yet can wonder endlessly why the quite good looking and talented boy-men are still unmarried and safe at home.  And look at pretty wedding pictures (of non-Arndts.)  And penguins.  And there are those birthday cakes served in Mommy and Daddy's bedroom to 30+ year-old men.

The Maxwells are depressing but there is usually  plenty of really bad looking food on display to snark on.

JRod is my fundy nemesis.  I've said before that while I do not support the beliefs and actions of the Duggar children, I do have empathy for them as I believe they have been brainwashed and have no concept of life outside of the box they've been raised in, but even though I know the same is true of JRod, I just have no sympathy for her at all.  She drives me crazy and I do think her kids should be taking away from her.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:39 AM, singsingsing said:

I was a fundie sympathizer and a Duggar fan when I found FJ. I know that might be hard to believe now, but it's true. I was very young, very vulnerable, and very much in search of answers, certainty, rules I could follow to make my life right... Religious fundamentalism promised all of that. The Duggars seemed like a wonderful, shiny, happy family to me. I was raised in a liberal, secular environment in Canada, so I had not been exposed to the dark side of fundamentalism or conservative evangelicalism. And though I hadn't completely bought into it (I liked beer and evolution a little too much) I was going way too far down the rabbit hole.

FJ opened my eyes in a major way. It showed me who the Duggars really were, and what their brand (and the 'fundie-lite' brand) of religion was really all about. It was a slow and painful process, and for the first little while I basically hate-read the forum. But as I was hate-reading, stuff began to sink in. It chipped away at my preconceived beliefs and assumptions. Seeing people here challenge, call out and criticize specific fundies who I might otherwise have admired was really instrumental in educating me and getting me to reject that nonsense.

I was some what the same, I dabbled in fundy lite circles for many years and, at the time it was what I needed to help me grow up and become a better person, if only by seeing how NOT to live my life. If that makes sense. I was raised in a VERY controlling family.  My parents, were very strict and had they been more religious a more ultraconservative/fundy Catholics, while faith was the reason we did everything we never talked about it was just something you did with out question with out needed to know why or talk about, you just did in our house, don't' ask why we said so and that should be enough. So when I was out on my own I didn't know how to act, or do things myself because I was never allowed to. Finding my church and that life gave the structure I needed to learn how to, adult, for lack of a better word.

I also learned very quickly that I didn't like what I was hearing and it didn't make sense to me. While the questions I asked would be answered I was also older, more educated and able to make more of my own choices. This place also opened my how to just how bad things CAN be in Fundy circles, I'd met a few hard core fundamentalist but they were very closed off, and were even appalled at my more conservative fundy lite friends and their earthly ways. They certainty weren't going to allow this liberal devil into their lives, so it was hard to really understand what they were and what they did.  I was able to realize that, while I liked aspects of the church, I couldn't reconcile the small parts I did (the friendships the sense of community) with the hate and judgment and the phoniness of it all.  I consider myself a Christian, but I am not religious as I find religion to be vile and hurtful, and very unchristian especially when used to oppress people and keep them under the thumb of a small number of men.

FJ has been a wealth of knowledge, because even the tip of the iceberg I saw wasn't a fraction of how far, wide deep and hard core this cult of American Christianity is. I've been on here for a couple years now, I lurked off and on (mostly off) for a few years prior to that.  I'm always fascinated by religion, and how others live, study, interpret it around the world and how different it can be even in the same neighborhood.

3 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

I do have empathy for them as I believe they have been brainwashed and have no concept of life outside of the box they've been raised in,

The former Duggar children now adults have traveled all over the world, being exposed to things I can only dream of. They definitely have ideas about life outside their box, ideas they roundly condemn. At some point their narrow-mindedness is a choice and something they are comfortable with because it works for them. The only thing I have empathy about is the sexual abuse and how horribly that was handled by their poor excuse for parents. Now another generation of toxic Trump supporters is being raised by these people. No, they are not as terrible as JRod and Lori Alexander, few human beings are. As long as the beliefs and actions of all the fundies are held to the same standard, I suppose having more empathy for some of the adults is not harmful.

On 12/16/2018 at 11:57 PM, cascarones said:

CBC seems to be where most ex Catholics wind up, besides Episcopalians and Methodists, Catholics are used as the example of doing everything wrong/ aren't real Christians. A friend's parent got elected to be the president of a Lutheran church by campaigning on a "I hate Catholics the most" platform.

Hey, I live not far from CBC, lol... I don't like churches that big though. I went to a mega church for a bit when I moved here, and it was just too big. I went to  very small church for a few years years ago, and I like my church between the two. My church now averages about 150 on a Sunday morning, and its the perfect size for us

Jeremy 100% strikes me as the overly boastful kind. Who’s a master at snide comments. 

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

So the Vuolos are in PA. Does Jeremy’s church not do Christmas services of any kind?  Is he mailing it in.

He preached at GCC on Sunday, so they must have flown out late Sunday afternoon/evening. Or the Vuolos are in Laredo.

19 minutes ago, marmalade said:

He preached at GCC on Sunday, so they must have flown out late Sunday afternoon/evening. Or the Vuolos are in Laredo.

Per their latest IG they are in PA-

Well, they must have jetted out right after Sunday services. I know Jeremy was at GCC;I suffered through about 3 minutes of his live sermon. He's still a terrible speaker, constantly looking down at his notes and not engaging his "brethren" ( his very favorite word). 

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

So the Vuolos are in PA. Does Jeremy’s church not do Christmas services of any kind?  Is he mailing it in.

A lot of tiny churches don’t do services on the holiday. I so miss the Christmas Eve services of my childhood but alas when your average parishioner’s age was 70 forty some years ago there’s not many to attend now. 

On 12/22/2018 at 8:27 PM, singsingsing said:

One more thing and then I'm stopping, I swear!

I think people are so harsh on Jeremy because so many are so starry eyed about him. People look at him and think, wow! He's handsome, he's articulate, he's cultured, he's educated and intelligent, he's stylish, he has a job, he's here to rescue Jinger and whisk her away to a life of fashion, birth control, and enlightenment! It was worse when he first came on the scene, but that impulse definitely still exists, and people here are trying to push back against that. So it's not so much that people are trying to show the world that Jeremy is uniquely horrible, but that he's far more horrible than the pretty pictures and hopeful daydreams/fan fiction would suggest.

I'll be honest. That's how I saw Jeremy when I first saw him on the show. I can't look at him the same way the last year or so. He's smug. He's hateful in a pretty package. 

No thanks. No lie, I was horrified reading what @VelociRapture posted in this thread. I thank her for doing it, because I can't stand hate, wrapped in a pretty package like Jeremy, or out there like Derick. They are both as horrible as the other. 

Honestly, sometimes I feel bad about the crap I say about them (I'll admit, I can get pretty nasty and tbh I'm probably going to be on the pro pregnancy speculation) but then they broadcast their ignorant beliefs like this and then I go "you know what? Its justified." 

On 12/22/2018 at 12:23 PM, marmalade said:

It's Jinger's birthday. Jeremy posted a typical high-falutin' message. The Duggars also remembered her, barely.

Jeremy's live on FB now if anyone can stomach it (edit...it's Christmas music...Jinger appears to be on the piano, but Jeremy isn't reading the bible verses).

Thanks to @VelociRapture for taking one for the team.

jordyn also didn't get one either. Only miracle Josie :(

On 12/23/2018 at 4:03 PM, VelociRapture said:

I like to hope most people took the time to at least skim my recap. Just in case you’re right and people skipped it, here’s a short list of important points from that Bible Study (which was held in February 2016):

- Jeremy claimed Biblical physical punishment causes no physical harm to a child. He says nothing about emotional/psychological harm, probably because he doesn’t believe that’s a thing.

- He made pretty judgmental comments about young parents - specifically that a young dad he saw at Chick Fil’A couldn’t know how to love his daughter because he was just a kid who had a kid.  

- He also made disgusting Transphobic comments about Devina Keswani, who was just 6 years old at the time. 

If I have time in the future then I’ll try to recap more of the videos. 

Wow. WTF? I'm now not sure who is worse, him or Derick. I guess at least Derick is upfront about his beliefs... Jeremy tries his best to hide his.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived