IGNORED

Jinjer 46: Felicity and Her Hair Coverings

Coconut Flan

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Taylurker said:

Wow. WTF? I'm now not sure who is worse, him or Derick. I guess at least Derick is upfront about his beliefs... Jeremy tries his best to hide his.

Posting lengthy sermons on the internet is not what I would call hiding though. Jeremy has a calmer approach. Derick is like a three year old throwing the tantrum of his life. Of course that gets more attention but Jeremy is definitely not hiding his ugly mindset. It just not so much in your face. 

The analogy I'd use is that in some ways, Derick is like Trump, Jeremy is like Pence.

Derick goes off the rails on Twitter in a very public fashion. He seems erratic, rash, and foolish. Jeremy has ugly beliefs too, but presents them in a more traditional way, leads with the shiny packaging of "family values" but when you dig for even a moment into the policy it's all hateful BS. He just puts a nice bow on top.

On 12/23/2018 at 9:46 PM, grandmadugger said:

And how any Christian can look at 45 and not pray he’s struck by lightning is mind boggling to me. He understands Christ’s teachings less than my cat. 

Funny.... I always say he is about as Christian as my cat. 

8 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Funny.... I always say he is about as Christian as my cat. 

I've long said Trump doesn't so much believe in God as he thinks he is God.

4 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

The analogy I'd use is that in some ways, Derick is like Trump, Jeremy is like Pence.

Derick goes off the rails on Twitter in a very public fashion. He seems erratic, rash, and foolish. Jeremy has ugly beliefs too, but presents them in a more traditional way, leads with the shiny packaging of "family values" but when you dig for even a moment into the policy it's all hateful BS. He just puts a nice bow on top.

The only bright side for me with Trump getting elected was taking Pence away from my state for a moment.  I cannot express how scary Pence is.  The damage he has done to education in Indiana is atrocious. The “religious freedom” anti-LGBTQI law he spearheaded is disgusting. His anti-abortion agenda frightening. And the scariest part of Pence is he knows how to get stuff done, unlike Trump.  He can get terrible things signed into law not just executive order type stuff. I truly hope we make it to 2020 with Trump healthy so that they can be voted out of office. A President Pence would be the evangelical’s wet dream and a big step closer to a theocracy. 

11 minutes ago, JingerSnaps said:

The only bright side for me with Trump getting elected was taking Pence away from my state for a moment.  I cannot express how scary Pence is.  The damage he has done to education in Indiana is atrocious. The “religious freedom” anti-LGBTQI law he spearheaded is disgusting. His anti-abortion agenda frightening. And the scariest part of Pence is he knows how to get stuff done, unlike Trump.  He can get terrible things signed into law not just executive order type stuff. I truly hope we make it to 2020 with Trump healthy so that they can be voted out of office. A President Pence would be the evangelical’s wet dream and a big step closer to a theocracy. 

I hear people say that they think Trump should resign and I remind them that him doing so would make that piece-of-shit Pence president. And that scares the ever-loving piss out of me. Part of it is the devil-you-know vs. the devil-you-don't, but Pence is scarier to me than Trump, which is saying something. There are other Republican lawmakers who think Trump is a complete nutcase, but I think they'd back Pence no-questions-asked. I also think Pence is smarter and sneakier than Trump, and could further his agenda more successfully because he's something of a political insider. 

I'll never forgive Pence for refusing to allow a needle exchange in Scott County, Indiana, de-funding the only Planned Parenthood in the county, and telling everyone that condoms don't protect against STDs and STIS, which allowed an HIV outbreak to spiral out of control. He can take his prayers and shove them down his viper throat. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mike-pence-hiv-aids_us_5c0021cee4b08506231abe89

10 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Posting lengthy sermons on the internet is not what I would call hiding though.

This is a long-standing misconception! When Jeremy first showed up, there were some people on the forum who argued that while Jeremy probably had bigoted beliefs, he "kept them to himself" instead of spewing them over social media, which made him tolerable*. Then there were some people who argued that posting hour-long sermons about his bigoted beliefs is very much spewing them on social media. I kinda understand the confusion though. Because the sermons require so much more time and energy to digest than a tweet or instagram post (as @VelociRapture can confirm), it's hard for us to discuss them in-depth. Even I can't be arsed to sit through them - not today satan. This creates, on the board and in the tabloids which yank stories from our discussion, the illusion that his bigotry is mostly silent.

(*we'll also remember that the JinJer wedding happened days before the 2016 presidential election, so all of us were in the middle of re-evaluating our stances toward "civil" and "unobtrusive" right-wingers, and we brought that to our discussions on FJ.)

Jeremy was recently spotted wearing a Harvard shirt as well. Does one of his siblings go there? (I'm thinking maybe Christmas gifts?)

Jeremy is one of those people who is hiding in plain sight. He doesn't have to hide, he doesn't feel the need to.

5 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Jeremy is one of those people who is hiding in plain sight. He doesn't have to hide, he doesn't feel the need to.

Yep. Jeremy is kind of like the Bates. People often tend to view them as less fundie and dangerous compared to the Duggars. He can pull off a surface look of being less harmful, but in reality holds the same awful beliefs as the rest of the fundies. 

2 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

This is a long-standing misconception! When Jeremy first showed up, there were some people on the forum who argued that while Jeremy probably had bigoted beliefs, he "kept them to himself" instead of spewing them over social media, which made him tolerable*. Then there were some people who argued that posting hour-long sermons about his bigoted beliefs is very much spewing them on social media. I kinda understand the confusion though. Because the sermons require so much more time and energy to digest than a tweet or instagram post (as @VelociRapture can confirm), it's hard for us to discuss them in-depth. Even I can't be arsed to sit through them - not today satan. This creates, on the board and in the tabloids which yank stories from our discussion, the illusion that his bigotry is mostly silent.

(*we'll also remember that the JinJer wedding happened days before the 2016 presidential election, so all of us were in the middle of re-evaluating our stances toward "civil" and "unobtrusive" right-wingers, and we brought that to our discussions on FJ.)

Yeah, it was not easy sitting through it. Not just because of the hateful content, but because he’s not a great speaker. And your post is the exact reason I went ahead with the recap. Most people don’t have the time or inclination to sit through his videos and so they don’t realize what views and beliefs he actually holds. 

So many people - not just here - seem to want to believe that someone in this family isn’t as bad as they seem. Jeremy is polished, relatively attractive, more worldly, and more charismatic than most of his in-laws... and he chose to marry Jinger, who seems to enjoy widespread popularity amongst the fan base. It’s easy to see why those hopes and delusions were pinned on him. But if you scratch the shiny  exterior the tiniest bit, you’ll see he’s as big a turd as the rest of them.

(Also, tabloids, if you’re skimming for stories - please go back and pick bits and pieces from my recap to write about. K. Thanks!)

8 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

Didn't Chuck teach a filmmaking class there? I could just be making things up.

Quoting myself because I found Jeremy's reply to someone's comment on his 'Scrapple Mess; post:

jeremy_vuolo

@lynntav I attended Hartwick & Syracuse; my brother is the sr multimedia producer for the Harvard business school.

I wonder if Jinger puts those hats and head bands on Felicity to “train” her ears to lay flat? I hope it’s just a fashion choice; she’s a darling baby. 

For me FJ has really opened my eyes to how many people are fundamentalists. And what a huge influence religion has on life in America, even for those that are not religious themselves. I live in the least religious country in the world, a country where people assume you’re not religious (unless you’re an immigrant). A country where church and state is separated and where religion don’t really affect life. I don’t have any christian friends in Sweden. No one I know go to church. And if they belive they don’t talk about it. 

Reading about these belives is like fiction to me. As horrifying as The Handmaid’s Tale. But it’s really good to know, and be reminded about, that this is real life for so many people and how it affects the world.

FJ is also the place where I’ve learned more then I even needed to know about duvets, wedding customs and people that wear shoes inside. 

Thanks everyone!

13 hours ago, Markie said:

I wonder if Jinger puts those hats and head bands on Felicity to “train” her ears to lay flat? I hope it’s just a fashion choice; she’s a darling baby. 

I have never heard of this before. Is this really a thing?

Regardless, I’m pretty sure it’s actually because they’re Fundies and they can’t have the world mistaking their precious princess for a boy. The hats are a decent choice though considering they’re in the Northeast right now. Temperatures have varied a lot up here lately, but it’s probably a good choice for them to have Felicity in a hat just in case. 

(Disclaimer: I have no opinion when non-fundie couples do this. Husband and I preferred more gender neutral options for our daughter, but I don’t judge other parents so long as they support and love their child for who they are as they grow up. Fundies are different matter since we know how they feel about gender norms though. So please don’t take offense if you chose to put headbands on your kid - I’m not judging you unless you’re a Fundie. :) )

The bows and head bands are cute, I had them for my dd when she was little, but she mostly just threw them off and I just gave up and let her be until she had enough hair that it needed to be put up or pulled away from her face, and to that I just used little hair ties, as the bows would just be yanked out by her ever grabbing little mitts.  The tiny elastics were too hard for her to get out so she left those alone, but she did look really cute with that little doink of hair on top of her head. 

4 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

For me FJ has really opened my eyes to how many people are fundamentalists. And what a huge influence religion has on life in America, even for those that are not religious themselves. I live in the least religious country in the world, a country where people assume you’re not religious (unless you’re an immigrant). A country where church and state is separated and where religion don’t really affect life. I don’t have any christian friends in Sweden. No one I know go to church. And if they belive they don’t talk about it. 

Reading about these belives is like fiction to me. As horrifying as The Handmaid’s Tale. But it’s really good to know, and be reminded about, that this is real life for so many people and how it affects the world.

FJ is also the place where I’ve learned more then I even needed to know about duvets, wedding customs and people that wear shoes inside. 

Thanks everyone!

I know you're not from Iceland, but my husband and I LOL'd when we visited Iceland where there's a church on every corner, yet  we never saw a person actually going into said structures. Not even on a Sunday.

4 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

The bows and head bands are cute, I had them for my dd when she was little, but she mostly just threw them off and I just gave up and let her be until she had enough hair that it needed to be put up or pulled away from her face, and to that I just used little hair ties, as the bows would just be yanked out by her ever grabbing little mitts.  The tiny elastics were too hard for her to get out so she left those alone, but she did look really cute with that little doink of hair on top of her head. 

I love those little ponytails on top of babies’ heads. That little doink hair that sticks straight up like a little antenna is so cute. I love tiny little alien babies toddling around.

4 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

My daughter’s hair is super long now, but we used to pull her hair up like that earlier this year. It was so stinking adorable! We couldn’t get all the hair up so it was kind of a half-up top of the head ponytail. :pb_lol:

7 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I have never heard of this before. Is this really a thing?

Yeah, my cousin actually did it with her son. In her house only, lest anyone think that he's a girl. It's really silly and doesn't work at all but she was convinced it would make a difference. It didn't and now she has left his (super cute) curly hair very long for the sole purpose of hiding the ears.

I just can't get over the Reddit commenter who described one of the headbands as a "butthole" and that's all I see now.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived