IGNORED

Jinjer 46: Felicity and Her Hair Coverings

Coconut Flan

13 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

And you'll need the full brigade of rescue ferrets but carrying anti-venom instead of snacks.  :ferret::ferret:

Maybe all snacks from here on out should be anti-venom by default??

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, lumpentheologie said:

I was in a store the other day and an American country Christian Xmas song was playing (kind of surprising to me in small-town Germany) and it was going on about how Mary was this "scared, lost little girl" when Jesus was born.  I was just so taken aback by this image of Mary.  I know she was supposed to be very young, but it really emphasized to me how some Protestants put Mary in just the same "helpless and lost" box with everyone else right up until Jesus does his salvation thing. 

My family is Catholic, but my favorite image of Mary is the Eastern Orthodox one I learned about in college. Orthodox Christians revere Mary not as the Virgin, but as the Mother of God. She was the only one who could have brought Christ into the world, and because she had free will, God had to ask her if she was willing to be Jesus's mother. The story goes that all the angels were silent waiting for her response, since the salvation of the world depended on whether she would say yes. So it's a very strong and brave Mary, who consciously takes this upon herself, knowing that she will face blame and ridicule. ?

That is so lovely! 

2 hours ago, elliha said:

Love that image! You are seriously screwing up theology for me now ?.

<SNIP SNIP>

(Sometimes I think I would like to write a religious novel about Jesus and his family that discusses all the things you don't really get to see like how was Joseph's and Jesus' relationship etc. Now however those plans are ruined by me now seeing Jesus as an actual However Wolowitz and I am hoping for his own sake that wasn't what he looked like.) 

0B27A399-8DBF-4788-883A-764CC4B6303E.jpeg.5799e8d4be00e9906fe6efd7c08d5fb2.jpeg

But seriously. That class was great for all kinds of “I’m going straight to Hell for laughing at this,” moments. My other favorite was when we read what the Professor dubbed a “rejected” story from the Bible. It had something to do with small clay birds when Jesus was a kid. I think another kid broke one, Jesus got super pissed of, and the other kid wound up dead. One of the other students dubbed it the”Killer Baby Jesus” story and now that’s all I picture when I try to imagine Jesus as a little kid. :pb_lol:

32 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Maybe all snacks from here on out should be anti-venom by default??

To carry over from another thread - can someone make me anti-venom cinnamon rolls for this? No Pecans though. I don’t want the spirit of David Waller possessing me. Please and thanks! 

1 hour ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Honestly, it's Jeremy who I question has the intellect to pass law school or a true rigous seminary. I think he will do ok at Master Seminary just becauyse it's a questionable school more concerned with toeing the party line. 

He should be fine at Master's Seminary because all he has to do is memorize and regurgitate.  No independent thinking is required.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

0B27A399-8DBF-4788-883A-764CC4B6303E.jpeg.5799e8d4be00e9906fe6efd7c08d5fb2.jpeg

But seriously. That class was great for all kinds of “I’m going straight to Hell for laughing at this,” moments. My other favorite was when we read what the Professor dubbed a “rejected” story from the Bible. It had something to do with small clay birds when Jesus was a kid. I think another kid broke one, Jesus got super pissed of, and the other kid wound up dead. One of the other students dubbed it the”Killer Baby Jesus” story and now that’s all I picture when I try to imagine Jesus as a little kid. :pb_lol:

To carry over from another thread - can someone make me anti-venom cinnamon rolls for this? No Pecans though. I don’t want the spirit of David Waller possessing me. Please and thanks! 

You watch it, soon I will think that one of the apostles looks like Borat too... Tried to do an emoji here but appearently this page was possessed by the devil and that didn't work so my third try will be without one.

On 12/13/2018 at 11:40 AM, miss_batson said:

A thing or two from Jinger about motherhood

I kind of think she didn't write that second paragraph. Not enough "precious" or "amazing." Am I a bad person?

2 hours ago, Skeptic said:

I kind of think she didn't write that second paragraph. Not enough "precious" or "amazing." Am I a bad person?

That and the unnecessary inclusions of the word "it" in every sentence of the 1st paragraph.

You know, there’s something else that kind of bugs me about Jinger’s post that I don’t think has been mentioned yet. The tone of it kind of subtly implies to me that she (or they) think that mothers shouldn’t feel any negative emotions about motherhood ever because it’s all rainbows and sunshine all the time. Those of you who are parents (and those who have experience with kids and those of you who don’t - so pretty much, anyone here with functioning brain cells) know just how unhealthy and unfair a standard like that can be. I do thinkJerrmy did have a lot to do with this post, but the overall tone just reminds me so much of Michelle somehow.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Jinger wrote it and had Jeremy help her. Or if Jeremy’s writing style is starting to rub off on Jinger a bit. 

40 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

You know, there’s something else that kind of bugs me about Jinger’s post that I don’t think has been mentioned yet. The tone of it kind of subtly implies to me that she (or they) think that mothers shouldn’t feel any negative emotions about motherhood ever because it’s all rainbows and sunshine all the time. 

Yes I read it like this too. I think the post is incredibly loaded, and a comment on other people’s parenting.  And all spewed from JinJer’s privileged position of becoming parents at a time of their choosing, to a healthy baby with no issues, financially secure and seemingly in good health themselves (both physical and mental), not to mention a huge extended family, willing and able to help.

Mothering ain’t like that for lots of people Jinge, you judgy judgy fool. 

Did anyone read The Testament of Mary by Colm Toibin?   It has been years for me but the basics of this short novel is Mary in her old age, bitter about how her son was swept up in religious fervor and executed.  She is hounded by his cult like followers and wants to have nothing to do with them. It was a sad read but though provoking.   Jesus as remembered by his mother, rather than than Matthew, Mark, Luke or John.

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I think she wrote the whole thing.

I’m leaning this way as well. I think if Jeremy did help it was mostly just with editing or tweaking things a bit. I think the overall message though was all Jinger. 

15 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I’m leaning this way as well. I think if Jeremy did help it was mostly just with editing or tweaking things a bit. I think the overall message though was all Jinger. 

I think you're giving them (or her, respectively, as I agree it sounds like Jing wrote it herself) too much credit. I think she's never heard anything else about motherhood than it's all frilly pink rainbows and the #bestthingever (oh sorry, wrong sister...but I digress) and she's having a totally positive experience with Felicity, so she thinks all she's heard about motherhood must totally be all true and she needs to tell the world just that.

Ave Maria is one of my most favorite songs, Christmas or no.  I also love the Chaplet of Divine Mercy in song. I'm not Catholic. Both are beautiful.

Raised Catholic, left the church more than 2 decades ago, now agnostic.  However, in moments of serious worry, stress or fear, I silently recite the Hail Mary over and over and it soothes me.  

1 hour ago, EmmieJ said:

Raised Catholic, left the church more than 2 decades ago, now agnostic.  However, in moments of serious worry, stress or fear, I silently recite the Hail Mary over and over and it soothes me.  

I'm the same way! I only left about 8 years ago, but didn't believe for quite a while before that. There's something about the repetition and the way I got through my childhood fears that is still calming to me.

2 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

I was raised Catholic too, though I haven’t considered myself one for about 15 years now. One of the things I remember most vividly from my miscarriage was quietly reciting Hail Mary under my breath once the Doctor left after explaining what was happening. It’s the only prayer I ever really use to be honest, mostly because I feel like Mary - as a woman and a mother - would probably understand the things I have on my mind. I don’t know what I believe when it comes to religion and I don’t really think anyone is listening to me when I say it. I just know that that specific prayer has helped to calm me at times when I’ve needed it.

6 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I think she wrote the whole thing.

I agree! But I also suspect that she's trying to imitate things she's heard Jeremy say, using the rhetoric and language of puffed-up pastors.

On 12/14/2018 at 3:08 PM, nickelodeon said:

I was mostly goofin on the fact that Reformed folk seem to ascribe to modern Catholic people all the weird 16th century crimes and obscure heresies they can think of :P (In addition to the boring ol' accusations of "idolatrous worship of Mary and the saints")

Ha you got me!! But I did enjoy the research ?

13 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

You know, there’s something else that kind of bugs me about Jinger’s post that I don’t think has been mentioned yet. The tone of it kind of subtly implies to me that she (or they) think that mothers shouldn’t feel any negative emotions about motherhood ever because it’s all rainbows and sunshine all the time. Those of you who are parents (and those who have experience with kids and those of you who don’t - so pretty much, anyone here with functioning brain cells) know just how unhealthy and unfair a standard like that can be. I do thinkJerrmy did have a lot to do with this post, but the overall tone just reminds me so much of Michelle somehow.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Jinger wrote it and had Jeremy help her. Or if Jeremy’s writing style is starting to rub off on Jinger a bit. 

Do you think Jinger remembers her mother's mental breakdown when they were still quite small? Or is she too far down in the birth line to have memories of that incident? I wonder how she puts all of this together: on the one hand she claims that motherhood is all roses and bows and then her own mother nearly lost her marbles because she was too overwhelmed with all the kids she had produced.

6 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

I'm about as Pagan as it gets but I love Pentatonix versions of "Mary did you know?" and "Hallelujah"..

Atheist here, but O Holy Night and Hallelujah both stop me in my tracks if any buskers are singing either song. And I give LOTS of money to them. Because. Walking through the Tottenham Court Road station last year, some guy was singing Hallelujah and I almost ran to find him! lol

Here's a great mashup, too:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAEJKg0lSPk&amp;feature=player_embedded&amp;fbclid=IwAR3eDrLL7bhQn9tynxO0NQtpbV_vT40vXv6_eKUnM9W0OhfJa6nbppUneck

1 hour ago, ophelia said:

Do you think Jinger remembers her mother's mental breakdown when they were still quite small? Or is she too far down in the birth line to have memories of that incident? I wonder how she puts all of this together: on the one hand she claims that motherhood is all roses and bows and then her own mother nearly lost her marbles because she was too overwhelmed with all the kids she had produced.

I think there were around seven or eight kids in the family at that point. Jinger is number six. If I’m right then I think she’d have been much too young to remember. Anyone younger than Jill (at the absolute youngest) might have been too young to remember.  

And she likely chalks it up to her mother not praying hard enough or something. Isn’t that what her family and/or Jeremy believe? That prayer is the answer to literally everything in life, even potential mental health crises?

I think what annoys me the most about her post (along with everything everyone else has mentioned) is the smugness of it.  Whether it is a newleywed couple waxing eloquent on the joys and necessity of marriage, or the mother of a 6 month old philosophically cogitating the wonders and importance of motherhood, they both elicit and eye roll response from me. I mean, I'm glad she is enjoying motherhood and all, but she has had a baby for all of 2.2 seconds, in very privileged circumstances.  Give it some time, before you start doling out advice and blind statements there, Jinger,  you will be surprised at motherhood.  

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived