IGNORED

M Is for Mama 2: Quiverfull/Pinterest

Coconut Flan

2 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

If memory serves, I believe the eldest is named Ezra. I actually like the names that she picked out for her kids, with the exception of the last. I especially like Magnolia with Nola for the nickname. Oh well. 

Yes, most people who name their child Magnolia would likely call her Maggie. And most people with an Adelaide would Call her Addie instead of Della. I guess she couldn’t think of a super special nick name for Evangeline so she went with a fairly typical nick name (Evy). I’m kind of surprise she didn’t decide to call her Lina. 

I can’t firmly decide on what she will call the next one. I’m thinking Valiant and call him Val. But I’m unsure. If she was having a girl I know she would go with a long name again with an out of the ordinary nickname. Something like Georgiana would be Gia. 

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The kiddos, in order, are:

1. Ezra

2. Simon

3. Adelaide (Della)

4. Evangeline (Evy)/5. Magnolia (Nola)

6. Theo

7. Honor

8. ??? but I'm going with Oliver. 

Girlfriend needs to update her "About" page. It says she's got five children. ?

ETA: I am snarking, hard, that she is hawking a book called Cozy Minimalist Home. Abby wouldn't know cozy or minimalism if it bit her on the ass. 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

most people who name their child Magnolia would likely call her Maggie. 

Nola is an dated nickname for Magnolia. I've come across the name several times when reading older books. The one that jumps to mind is Showboat by Edna Ferber. The main character is Magnolia, called Nola by everyone except her mother who calls her Maggie.

I'm still really surprised she has a son named Honor. That has traditionally be a girl's name, and fundies are usually super paranoid about enforcing gender roles.

As we all know by now, Braggie is a shopaholic . She spends her time at home chasing deals (online) rather than chasing children. She loves being sanctimonious about how she only buys things on sale and products that are “cheap” yet she gets off on trying to make her followers believe she got it full price at Pottery Barn or Anthropologie. Tis the season to be jolly so, this is my Christmas gift to her (we all know she reads here).

You’re being played.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/get-there/wp/2017/12/28/why-the-money-conscious-should-beware-the-after-christmas-sale/

I do it the easy way...I don't shop. I research what I'm looking for, find the store where it's cheapest, go get it and come home. With the exception of one book case, I have spent exactly zero on "home decor" in years. 

IF we end up getting the house we want, I'll be blowing a bundle, but that's because most of our furniture is beat to shit (cheap + moving a lot + cats). I'm also a minimalist. I throw shit away/donate/repurpose like crazy. I refuse to go to yard sales, flea markets or anything else. 

Braggie's (and JRod's) houses would make me itch because it'd be just too overwhelming with all the shit. 

Sales don't interest me much unless it's staple items. My whole thing is that I've got more time than money. I need a new couch and a couple of chairs. Once the budget is fixed, I'm willing to wait till I find exactly what I want for that price. If something goes on sale, I'll hold off to see if it gets discounted more. If it sells while I'm waiting, oh well, it wasn't meant to be. My main concern is to find the right item at the right price because I know I'll have it forever. I'm so picky that I once waited five years to find the perfect console cabinet. I'm patient. 

6 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I do it the easy way...I don't shop. I research what I'm looking for, find the store where it's cheapest, go get it and come home. With the exception of one book case, I have spent exactly zero on "home decor" in years. 

IF we end up getting the house we want, I'll be blowing a bundle, but that's because most of our furniture is beat to shit (cheap + moving a lot + cats). I'm also a minimalist. I throw shit away/donate/repurpose like crazy. I refuse to go to yard sales, flea markets or anything else. 

Braggie's (and JRod's) houses would make me itch because it'd be just too overwhelming with all the shit. 

I’m not much of a shopper either. I don’t buy Knick knacks or even much clothing. I tend to wear things out or use them until they are so old they aren’t able to be used anymore. I sell stuff that’s still in good used condition. I am cheap by nature. So if something is 50% off and I still think it’s too expensive, I usually just do without. But my kids are the most expensive part. They tend to want specific things for Christmas so I have to fork over the cash. 

On 12/21/2018 at 11:08 PM, PianoGal said:

Infant carriers and diaper bags are notorious for hiding small items! I've had to run back in to the store several times to pay for an item the baby hid! 

Reusable bags do it, too... I once had to sprint back into the grocery store with a can of black beans because I found them under an empty reusable bag while we were loading the car!

Catching up: wouldn't "Angel" be a pretty nickname for Evangeline? English-speakers usually like to create nicknames out of the first syllable ("Magnolia" turns to "Maggie"), and Spanish-speakers the subsequent syllables ("Nacho" comes form the second syllable in "Ignacio" for example). But historically, like @supernova8610 said above, English-speakers used other syllables or later letters: Elizabeth -> Bessie, Anne to Nancy. I love the crap out of names and nicknames, thought I'd share.

Like others, I try not to collect too many "things". We move around a lot, too. But I wait for sales, have strict rules about colors, and try to buy for keeps. But I am so far from perfect because every time we move, I'm amazed at the accumulation and subsequent donations/trash! It's neat to read others' experiences.

I do like to shop, but one thing I do to limit myself is to look at a pricier item and give myself a set amount of time to go about my life to see how much I actually need/want it. If I decide that my cooking/decor/wardrobe/makeup routine would indeed be better if I owned it, I'll get it. Also, by that time, I've had time to comparison shop to see if I can find the same thing for a better price or a cheaper alternative, try to DIY it depending on what it is, and/or to see if it's gone on sale or if I can get it secondhand. I have gone a little shopping-crazy over the holidays (waaayyyy too much makeup lol), but I have been good about buying stuff I actually needed/found for a good price. At least that's what I tell myself. 

On 12/21/2018 at 10:08 PM, PianoGal said:

Infant carriers and diaper bags are notorious for hiding small items! I've had to run back in to the store several times to pay for an item the baby hid! 

I still have a rather ornate fork that turned up in my kid's diaper bag one day.  I have no clue where it came from.

The fact that she calls this room teensy shows how clueless she is. She can fit a crib, easy chair, poof, and large basket no problem. That’s not teensy imo. Sure it’s teensy compared to her ridiculously huge house. 

AF7B65C9-F548-4E88-B389-4416D890D01B.jpeg

19 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The fact that she calls this room teensy shows how clueless she is. She can fit a crib, easy chair, poof, and large basket no problem. That’s not teensy imo. Sure it’s teensy compared to her ridiculously huge house. 

AF7B65C9-F548-4E88-B389-4416D890D01B.jpeg

That rug is probably a 4x6 or 5x7. It's not a huge room but I wouldn't say teensy either. Besides, how much space does an infant need? Do we know how close it is to mama's room?

Antique rug + living creature that spews forth all manner of bodily fluids on a regular basis = a bad time

For the life of me I don't understand people who decorate nurseries/dress babies with expensive shit. I'm all for cute shit, of course, because it's such a short window where your child can't object to your aesthetic, but I'm not going to deliberately put an antique rug in "firing range" of diarrhea, pee, and projectile vomit. 

This may just be personal taste, but I don’t think the rug goes with the room. It clashes with the pouf and wallpaper, and the color difference with the crib is too harsh.  Now, I do like mixed prints, and I think the pouf and wallpaper are fine together; but the room would look better without the rug. And @nastyhobbitses is right:  an antique rug and inevitable baby messes are a bad combination.  Put this rug in a den and get a cheap one from Walmart for the nursery. 

I believe the room is actually attached to Braggie’s master bedroom. That’s probably why Honor hasn’t slept in it for a year. She pushed him off onto his brother dads at her first chance. I am sure they get up with him in the night. 

that rug does not work with the rest of the room. The colors clash in a HUGE way. And, who the hell puts a rug UNDER a crib?? Ground zero for all the disgusting bodily fluids a newborn can spew from damn near every orifice? If you're going to put a rug down get something inexpensive and machine washable. Jesus! 

5 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

that rug does not work with the rest of the room. The colors clash in a HUGE way. And, who the hell puts a rug UNDER a crib?? Ground zero for all the disgusting bodily fluids a newborn can spew from damn near every orifice? If you're going to put a rug down get something inexpensive and machine washable. Jesus! 

I tend to put a towel right where she put the rug to use as a barf catcher. Boy she has a fancy barf catcher. 

Horrifying memories of how a baby’s bedroom can get messy:

1) I was changing the diaper of my very gassy, 100% breastfed baby. Her tummy rumbled and a jet of liquid fecal horribleness came shooting out of her and hit the door opposite us.

2) I was babysitting my year-old nephew. Hours after I’d put him to bed, I heard him wake up and fuss, so I went to see what was wrong. His crib, bedding, and pajamas looked like the scene of a legit bloodbath. He had stood up and bumped his lip against the bar of his crib. A tiny cut, mixed with drool, resulted in what looked like an absolute hemorrhage. I got him calmed down, did first aid (ice cube in a washcloth), and got everything cleaned up. I was terrified his parents would have called the cops on me if they’d seen the blood. *shudder*

It may not be a “real” antique. And no baby may ever sleep in that room.

15 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

It may not be a “real” antique. And no baby may ever sleep in that room.

Yep. Isn't #7 less than 2 YO? And she claims he hasn't slept in that crib for a long time...and I remember him seeming to sleep in some basket in her room for a good, long time. Yep, I doubt any baby will spend much time in that crib prop.

34 minutes ago, Hane said:

1) I was changing the diaper of my very gassy, 100% breastfed baby. Her tummy rumbled and a jet of liquid fecal horribleness came shooting out of her and hit the door opposite us.

Same thing happened to me, only instead of the door, it hit me, right square in the face. 

41 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

Same thing happened to me, only instead of the door, it hit me, right square in the face. 

Once, while working in the NICU on a Thanksgiving Day, a baby got me right into the pocket of my scrub top, AND the hubs forgot my clothes for TGD dinner. Yep, I had to sit in that shirt all day and through dinner. Really hard to wash feces out of your pocket.

@SassyPants oh my gawd! That's some precision aiming! My grandson got me too. Fortunately it was urine but it soaked me from forehead to belly button. Didn't think a 6lb newborn could hold so much. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived