IGNORED

Safe at Home 4: Where the thread names change, but the Arndts stay the same

HerNameIsBuffy

4 hours ago, MiQ said:

Could it be that they are waiting for the end-times? Maybe the dad has brainwashed them to think it will happen soon so no point starting a family. ( My first post ? ever on FJ) 

I'm almost positive Rick is an endtimer, not that he talks that much about it.  Let's face it, the mud in field, ice cream from DQ, and the view of the front porch are far more fascinating than the end of the world.

Seriously though, while I haven't heard much of Pastor Rick's conversations lately, I've heard enough to know that they are in way over their heads.  Once woman apparently told them she was planning suicide and came back a day or two later telling them she'd overdosed but was rescued.  Paul then starting babbling about how good habits can be learned in 3 weeks and that's how he lost 50 pounds once.

I don't know if these are fake FB people but the last people who should be giving desperate people advice are these isolated whackadoodles who spend their days and nights aimlessly driving around boring, semi-deserted little towns.  They've got absolutely nothing to offer anyone and could easily do a lot of harm.    

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, Elegant Mess said:

If that's true, then they really need to get a move on completing Vine Valley!

Maybe that's why Vine Valley is taking so long. If they ever finish it, the world will come to an end!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7

I'm also getting a Josh Duggar-vibe from the guys. Secret lives travelling around the country...I just can't believe all 13-14 of them are that virginal. 

Maybe this has been explained but why is "Safe at home 4"not in the same place as the other 3 threads? 

• Upvote 2

I found the Arndts this week ( Shupes, Andersons, and Rods are my usual daily bread)  and I just don't have this kind of quriosity with them. This is just too big of a mystery ?

Anyway, in this clip I'm wondering why Seth is bald and has no eyebrows/lashes. I've had a family member go through chemo, and this looks very similar.  

https://youtu.be/K41qIcJV0c8

Edited by MiQ
Spelling

4 hours ago, Bethella said:

Maybe that's why Vine Valley is taking so long. If they ever finish it, the world will come to an end!

It would certainly be the end of the world as they know it!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MiQ said:

Maybe this has been explained but why is "Safe at home 4"not in the same place as the other 3 threads? 

The active threads are on the main Quiverful of Snark page. When we get to 'Safe at Home 5- absolutely nothing has changed' then this thread will be archived to the same place as the other 3. 

Threads are normally closed when they reach about 20 pages. Somehow, despite the fact that nothing happens in Arndt land, that means in about 4 pages we'll be on to a new thread.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 3

10 hours ago, MiQ said:

Anyway, in this clip I'm wondering why Seth is bald and has no eyebrows/lashes. I've had a family member go through chemo, and this looks very similar.  

And that's Mark not Seth. Mark has had alopecia for a long time. When you look to the videos they did of them watching old videos, they joked about Mark's baby curls meaning more. He was bald as a child, I think. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

17 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

And that's Mark not Seth. Mark has had alopecia for a long time. When you look to the videos they did of them watching old videos, they joked about Mark's baby curls meaning more. He was bald as a child, I think. 

And I tried so hard to get it right  ?. In addition to a prayer closet is there also a  public forum where you can get a good biblical stoning? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

I’m surprised no one else has alopecia in the family. I thought there was a genetic component to it. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m surprised no one else has alopecia in the family. I thought there was a genetic component to it. 

I think it can be. I know of someone who has it. She has 3 kids none of them have it. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think it's partly genetic and partly really bad luck. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

On March 7, 2019 at 2:18 PM, MiQ said:

And I tried so hard to get it right  ?. In addition to a prayer closet is there also a  public forum where you can get a good biblical stoning? 

No worries - you haven't even warranted time in the Prayer Closet!

One of the nice things about FJ is that if one person can't remember something, someone else usually does.  Some of the families we discuss here are so large that I can't even keep up with all of their names.  Over on the Maxwell family thread, many folks also forget about the youngest son, Jesse.

Also, welcome to FJ!  :562479b1e2079_Whyhullothurwave:

• Upvote 8

On 3/7/2019 at 2:18 PM, MiQ said:

Try "Community Discussion" or "No Holds Barred." Proper stonings on demand. ?

• Haha 12

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/24/2018 at 11:55 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'd agree - I'm a few hours from them and most trees are still leafy green.

Yes. And I hate myself for knowing that.

In my defense I can't name all the Bateseses.

every other kid has hands in pockets except David.  Rebellion!

They're from a southern Illinois suburb of St. Louis. In late October, the leaves would have turned.  Strangely enough, I work in the same town where they live and I don't hear about them as much as I used to.  In the 90's I worked in a Christian bookstore nearby and they'd come in on a semi-regular basis...they reminded me of clones.

Not only that, I went to the same high school as Cathy Arndt, she was a couple of years behind me.

That said, when did Rick become "Pastor" Rick?  I thought they were Catholics!

Edited by actionsub
  • Upvote 12

52 minutes ago, actionsub said:

That said, when did Rick become "Pastor" Rick?  I thought they were Catholics

Hi @actionsubI follow the Arndts because they are just different from the many fundies we follow here.  White short shorts in place of frumpers, men who go out and work jobs but none have moved out, much less married and started their own families, they still act in many ways like kids.  So weird.    And now they are doing this prayer room thing which one other poster mentioned they might be getting in over heads because of the troubled people who are finding them.  

But I hadn't thought of this until you pointed it out: how can Rick become a pastor when they are Catholics?   My guess that they stopped attending a church years ago as part of their isolating themselves and now Rick has taken it further by self indentifying as a pastor because they home church     

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

Hi @actionsubI follow the Arndts because they are just different from the many fundies we follow here.  White short shorts in place of frumpers, men who go out and work jobs but none have moved out, much less married and started their own families, they still act in many ways like kids.  So weird.    And now they are doing this prayer room thing which one other poster mentioned they might be getting in over heads because of the troubled people who are finding them.  

But I hadn't thought of this until you pointed it out: how can Rick become a pastor when they are Catholics?   My guess that they stopped attending a church years ago as part of their isolating themselves and now Rick has taken it further by self indentifying as a pastor because they home church     

I think also the fact that their beliefs diverge substantially from those of the Catholic Church made it difficult for them to claim a religious basis for their isolation and weirdness, so over time they stopped identifying as Catholic. I don't know that they openly identify as anything now, except "Christian", and Rick is evidently a Pastor in this sect of Unidentified Arndt Christianity.  

• Upvote 8

Yeah, they aren't really Catholic anymore, and haven't really been for a long time. They are the Church of Rick and he's their Pastor/Prophet/Theologian all rolled into one. 

• Upvote 7

10 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

I don't know that they openly identify as anything now, except "Christian", and Rick is evidently a Pastor in this sect of Unidentified Arndt Christianity.  

And the Church of the Exalted Penguins......built with K'nex

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 6

You can’t be Safe At Home if you’re gadding off to church with non Ardnts! 

But yeah, as others have stated above, I think the Catholic Church was too heavy on non Rick authority, so he’s become a generic fundie “pastor”. Being part of a catholic congregation would expose the family to people and ideas that hadn’t been sanctioned by Rick and that could burst the little bubble they live in.

I do worry about Mary Elizabeth - at least the “boys” have jobs and each other to play with. She doesn’t seem to be included in the lego/softball/penguin shenanigans and it can’t be fun hanging out with Cathy year in and year out. 

• Upvote 11

My inlaws were Mary and Joseph.... crack me up. I also have, in my family, a Mary Magdalene along with all the other Mary Whoevers. 

Diminutives for all these Marys include: Mare, MK (initials) and Mania, which is apparently Polish for Mary, and Mun, which is short for Mania!

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, lilith said:

But yeah, as others have stated above, I think the Catholic Church was too heavy on non Rick authority, so he’s become a generic fundie “pastor”. 

I agree with this completely.  Cathy was a very devout Catholic, Rick was raised a Catholic and they were married in the church in which Cathy's dad served deacon,  but Rick the Naval Gazing Narcissist couldn't cope with the idea of a pope unranking him.

I sometimes wonder how Cathy feels/felt about all this.  I mean, Rick basically took her religion from her.  Her family maintained a relationship with him despite this, but maybe it was because of the eleventy million grandsons (and Mary)?

• Upvote 6

I’ve always wondered how she could deal with the break from the RCC.

she was still attending mass when the older boys were small so it’s safe to assume they were baptized.

And by safe to assume I mean I’d bet everything I have on it.

if the latter kids weren’t?  Both due to religion and culture I can’t wrap my head around how she was okay with that.  

And id bet real money if they didn’t baptize the later kids her parents did it on the sly.  

I don’t know much in this life, but I know how midwestern Catholic families work.

• Upvote 10

6 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

My inlaws were Mary and Joseph.... crack me up. I also have, in my family, a Mary Magdalene along with all the other Mary Whoevers. 

Diminutives for all these Marys include: Mare, MK (initials) and Mania, which is apparently Polish for Mary, and Mun, which is short for Mania!

Um, not that I'm trying to dox myself of anything, but let's just say that my mother "may" have called me Maria when she was mad at me!  (I'm not a Maria, but I am one of those versions).  But when I heard Maria, I knew I was in trouble!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

And id bet real money if they didn’t baptize the later kids her parents did it on the sly.  

Rick baptized them himself.

But I agree, her parents probably couldn't stand the thought of it and took matters into their own hands the moment they got the chance. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic