IGNORED

Safe at Home 4: Where the thread names change, but the Arndts stay the same

HerNameIsBuffy

Well we know he changed the miraculous healing because he made one of his sons shoot thand scene where Cathy tends to his wound and he makes a mild sex joke about where it’s situated on his thigh.

which is a shitty thing to do to your son who is being denied female companionship

• Upvote 3

Can "Losing Jesus' Guessing Game" be a post count title??

Thank you for the summary, @Petronella! I've never seen the VV manuscript before, and it's enlightening. I'm sure (as you noted) that it has evolved from this form in the years since Rick started the project, but maybe not too much. He seems to be in an endless loop of refilming sequences that he's already completed. That would suggest that he's happy with the story content, but not the production value of the original shots.

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, SolomonFundy said:

Thank you for the summary, @Petronella! I've never seen the VV manuscript before, and it's enlightening. I'm sure (as you noted) that it has evolved from this form in the years since Rick started the project, but maybe not too much. He seems to be in an endless loop of refilming sequences that he's already completed. That would suggest that he's happy with the story content, but not the production value of the original shots.

Their production values seem to be pretty great! Arndts know what they’re doing with cameras.

I suspect Rick hasn’t gotten much farther with the story. The woman is supposed to rescue the man into a new life of Christianity and romance, but I bet specifics are low. So there’s...baseball! Pumpkins! But not coherence. And they just keep filming...stuff.

Edited by Petronella
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SolomonFundy said:

Hahaha!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Petronella said:

I suspect Rick hasn’t gotten much farther with the story. The woman is supposed to rescue the man into a new life of Christianity and romance, but I bet specifics are low. So there’s...baseball! Pumpkins! But not coherence. And they just keep filming...stuff.

Editing!  Rick is constantly filming random stuff with the thought that there will eventually be a story buried in all the footage.  Then he'll have the boys spend another decade or two pulling it out and putting it into a format Jesus will approve of. 

Makes me sad to think that I probably won't live long enough to see the finished product.  But then again, neither will Rick nor half the manboys for that matter. 

• Upvote 8

Wait, the random cottage he's in, where he uses up all the firewood, eats the food and then *rips up the wood floorboard* isn't his?  It's a stranger's that he broke into and started vandalising/stealing from?  How is that justified?

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, Petronella said:

I too like Krakauer's work. My understanding with that one is that he kept knowledge of family abuse private at the sister's request, and the story is much fuller when that aspect is considered too.

As for Rick's story here, there are two "wildernesses" to me: a metaphorical one in the sudden sabbatical, and then the literal one he runs away into. The first one makes reasonable sense to me: the urge to reevaluate his life, sort out his thoughts in a new book, take a break from the university routine. But the literal running away into the woods is much less explicable. He's already running away from his everyday life; why run away from the bus taking him to his escape?

Even if he was just enchanted by the beauty of the woods and stupidly/romantically thought he'd like to sleep under the stars (in winter?? without a tent/sleeping bag?), why get on the train? Then why get off the train? If he was my student I would ask him what the character's vision of the night going right was. As it is, I have no idea at all what the character was intending before things went wrong with the fall.

He did, I read the book written by the sister of the young man after I read Krakauer's book.  There was a great deal he left out.  I can't remember her name

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

We're so full on post titles it will be forever for people to get to the new ones, but I can make it the new thread title!  

We're due ...I'll make a new thread as soon as I grab some dinner.

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

Wait, the random cottage he's in, where he uses up all the firewood, eats the food and then *rips up the wood floorboard* isn't his?  It's a stranger's that he broke into and started vandalising/stealing from?  How is that justified?

Well - if I were the fictional cabin owner I wouldn't begrudge a stranger with a genuine need for shelter and food taking refuge.  The floors, though, I might sue his spiritually conflicted ass.

2 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

format Jesus will approve of. 

When did Jesus become Mark Burnett?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Just stopping by to say that last night I had a dream about one of the Arndt brothers being engaged to an actual human being and me being their wedding planner for some reason, so there's that.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic