IGNORED

Safe at Home 4: Where the thread names change, but the Arndts stay the same

HerNameIsBuffy

On 1/14/2019 at 10:40 PM, JenniferJuniper said:

Here's Rick talking about Vine Valley on their YouTube channel back in 2011 when he was imaging they'd have a weekly fiction show.  Drama, comedy, romance, action, adventure, inspiration.

Any day now, I'm sure.

Wow. Wow. So looooooooooong. Real-life Rick just keeps talking FOREVER then movie Rick (“Joseph Greene with an E”) just keeps walking FOREVER. Then in the second clip he seems to be actively stalking Cathy’s character (“Eliza Easterley with an EY”), then is very rude to her when she helps him out.

What was interesting, though, is his explanation of these two characters being who Rick and Cathy would be if they hadn’t met. He describes having been tempted in the seventies, not by sex and drugs, but by secular philosophy and alternate religions and intellectualism. But the scenes themselves are just vagueness.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

So Rick was invited to a meeting with a "goorooo" in 1973.  Had he gone he would have inevitably taken the path of wickedness but God protected him so he went to a "vibrant" prayer meeting instead.  

And from that second clip:

Cathy:  "Is it your upper thigh?"

Rick:  "A little north of there."

The 12 year-old in me - :laughing-rofl:

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 17

I wish I could do a poll in the thread. 

What will happen first to the Arndt family - a parent dies or a kid gets married. 

My vote - parent dies

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 12

Filming Vine Valley on a Snowy Morning

(with many apologies to Robert Frost)

Whose woods these are I do not know.   

The Arnds are filming in the snow,   

Rick will not see us laughing here   

We watch him fall - just for the show!  

Free Jinger thinks Vine Valley strange   

The acting doesn't show much range.   

Between the woods and frozen lake   

There is no way the Arndts will change.   

I want to give old Rick a shake   

And ask if there is some mistake.   

There is no plot for Rick's long film   

We must conclude that he's a flake.   

The film is lengthy, but not too deep,   

And Rick has promises to keep,   

Finish that film before I sleep,   

And free those kids before I weep!

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 6
  • Love 30

I have watched more Vine Valley for you:

http://arndtreporting.com/famteam/vine-valley-filming/

This is a filming of filming. They're on a baseball diamond, presumably a bunch of Arndt sons and guest actor? We can't hear what the actors are saying. Everyone is pretty much standing still. It is rubbish as a "behind the scenes" moment. NOTHING IS HAPPENING THAT WE CAN HEAR OR SEE.

https://www.facebook.com/FamTeamTV/videos/this-very-brief-scene-for-the-vine-valley-film-was-shot-at-night-with-a-camera-t/1301359866573631/

Fog. Dock. Night. NOTHING IS HAPPENING.

http://arndtreporting.com/famteam/vine-valley-bike-scene/

Rick walking his bike/carrying his bike, which has had an "unscripted flat tire." Again, NOTHING IS HAPPENING.

https://www.facebook.com/FamTeamTV/videos/vine-valley-special-effects/1671256369583977/

Vine Valley special effects work! EIGHT MINUTES! Arndt green screen and wind-fan in their front yard, with snowy forest later imposed behind, because they forgot(?) to film this scene the last time that they were on location? (The technical work is actually really good, but it's a scene where NOTHING IS HAPPENING.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDN7URHbpkI

Lastly, the trailer, which has been much discussed already. Things are happening, I repeat THINGS ARE HAPPENING. But it's unclear how any of those things relate to each other. Rick falls in snow; baseball is played; a pumpkin is bathed. Suddenly, briefly, inexplicably, a woman in period costume! The wide shots are gorgeous.

Edited by Petronella
  • Upvote 6
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 4

16 minutes ago, Petronella said:

an "unscripted flat tire."

I have no idea why this made me LOL so hard.  It's just so typical-Arndt explaining, I guess.

It might be more interesting filming if they actually had to produce a scripted flat tire.... 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

Some of these clips with their voices have me thinking again...  Did we ever conclude whether their sing-songy way of talking was a regional thing, or a family thing?

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2019 at 11:41 PM, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

Some of these clips with their voices have me thinking again...  Did we ever conclude whether their sing-songy way of talking was a regional thing, or a family thing?

It’s a little of both.  Ryan Bergara from Buzzfeed has the same cadence and he’s from California 

• Thank You 3

6 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

It’s a little of both.  Ryan Bergara from Buzzfeed has the same cadence and he’s from California 

The younger sons definitely have it in a more pronounced way than the older ones, which suggests there's a family element to it. 

To my East Coast, Upper South ears, it has a similar sing-songiness and vowel rounding to Minnesota/North Dakota accents.  I always think of Illinois as like Nebraska and being fairly accentless. Though I did go to a wedding once where the groom's family was from rural Illinois and they definitely had some sort of accent. 

I have put way too much thought into this. As with most things with the Arndts...

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Alice in Fundieland said:

Thank you! :penguin: I put Penguin Awareness Day on my calendar, and I still almost forgot to post this. 

16143183_1389649441092306_4420415790976828165_n.thumb.png.85ed8db51fc83382b9e7ab0a673d055f.png.2af63bf65126c5f721245ee8f2c6cc93.png

• Upvote 13
  • Love 8

Paraphrasing from the live FB tonight, LowerdyLou and CarBoardDeau as my witnesses:

*That accent WTH

*Driving in country - dashcam view FTW

*Froyo was involved today

*Birthday in bedroom mentioned - double birthday (no clue whose)

*Rick does not have anointing oil with him on his drive... (bummer)

*Foll-eee-ahge

*Kids are all over the place working (and he is not, apparently)

*Oh it's the Arch! (looked like parking lot lights in the distance, nothing to get worked up about)

*He welcomes people to get into the car and get Froyo with Mom 

*He will drive and come pick you up

*Makes recommendations on local motel rooms

*Rick is now going to one of his "favorite parking spots"

*ME posted she is right behind him on the road.

This is the most awkward "prayer room" I have ever encountered.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

That was never made clear; he appeared to just be aimlessly driving country roads, in the snow, in the dark.  If he had a pumpkin with him, or fell down, it could have been edited into VV.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 10

Perhaps Vine Valley is Rick's attempt to bring back the experimental films of the 1960s. It's like Warhol's Sleep (see below, if you have 5+ hours), but all establishing shots of the woods, no plot.

I always worried about the fact that this film wasn't eight hours long. I hope Giorno got a little nap later on -- I'd hate to think he was underslept. ?

• Haha 5

You guys . . . I think my husband is a secret Arndt.  Sure, he's married and Jewish, but his love of penguins matches them.  His lifelong dream is to go to Antarctica, approach a group of penguins while wearing a tuxedo, and see if they adopt him as their own.  We joked about naming a hypothetical future daughter Adelie.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 9
  • Love 8

On 1/22/2019 at 7:53 AM, anjulibai said:

Why was Wizzy driving behind him? 

This is so weird. 

To get the external shots?

• Upvote 2

So Papa Arndt has changed his "Prayer Room" group back to  "Conversations with Dad" as he drives around the countryside ... aimlessly.... yakking and yakking.  I saw he was live again this afternoon and I scrolled right on by.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

So Papa Arndt has changed his "Prayer Room" group back to  "Conversations with Dad" as he drives around the countryside ... aimlessly.... yakking and yakking.  I saw he was live again this afternoon and I scrolled right on by.

So no one else has to:

"....so we're driving past a landfill now.  You can see it to our left.  Shall I go right or left now?  Hi, Carol.  We've been to Tennessee. There are lots of mountains there.   Can you see the brightness of the sun here?  Oldest son Paul is down south and fifth son Jude is in Chicago.  There is probably a 100 degree difference in the temperature!  Or maybe 97 degrees.  Do you know how to click on emojis?  You can also click on them to make them go away.  Now we are driving to a town where we play softball.  We are in a men's league, did you know?  Carol, are you near the civil war statue in the mountains?  Driving into town now.  I'm driving slowly.  This town has no stop lights.  They do have stop signs though.  Where I grew up there are 45,000 people and St. Louis is so close. The Cardinals play there.  Christine, you love softball?  Wow!  Subway is the only dining establishment here.  Plus Happy Days ice cream.  We go there often.  I'm almost driving out of town.  This was such an interesting visit.  I think I'll turn around here.  The abortion situation in New York - we need to start a movement.  Humans are being used by the forces of darkness.  Satan is invisible.  But we love everyone.  We don't hate them.  But we need to love one at a time to change their heart about unborn life that starts at conception. 

Love those emoji hearts.  Look at them all.  (Rick, dude, I need to hook you up with my avatar).   I love the messages from you all. We love southern Tennessee and West Virginia.  Where we live there are rolling hills.  I want to lift up our country!  (narcissist, much?)   But by one relationship at a time.  You wouldn't be listening if you didn't agree with me.  (think again!)  We are supposed to get snow soon.  It was 10 degrees earlier.  Now it's 29.  Seems cold.  Hi, Susan!  You can replay this to hear what you missed. (trust me, Susan, you needn't bother)

I'm driving towards home now, driving through a valley.  Have you all the story about how we chose to build on this land?  I'll tell it again.  (for the 700th time).  I'm going to drive over it.  It's frozen.  Usually I can't do this.   But today I can.  

Hi Susan, do you get fall foliage in southern California?  We do here.  See the stream to my left?  I'll try to show you our creek.  I'm juggling so much.  I love to take long drives with the family.  I'm working on our Vine Valley project. We work out every day.  But our main mission is to get people to love Jesus.  Our country's culture needs to be changed.  If everyone wants to love Jesus, the unborn will be saved.  Governor Cuomo is allowing murder right up to the moment of birth, and anyone can do an abortion.  Not just doctors.  I'm talking for Jesus now.   I'll pray for your daughter, Chris.  Let me lay hands on her through this phone.  God, in the name of Jesus, please touch her.....Oh my, a meth addict since she was nine years old?  (I'm calling a Rick roll here!) 

National media has followed us, did you know that?   Babies are so innocent....Peter, ask Mary Elizabeth to come out and ride with me. I'll get her a fountain soda...."

He's doing this twice a day, at least two hours at a time.  Same drive, same commentary, over and over again.   He is now calling himself Pastor Rick and the other day he "anointed" his phone with olive oil.  And he is practically begging these women to come out and visit them at the house.  

He's bonkers. 

• Confused 1
  • WTF 13
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 10

19 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

He's doing this twice a day, at least two hours at a time.  Same drive, same commentary, over and over again.   He is now calling himself Pastor Rick and the other day he "anointed" his phone with olive oil.  And he is practically begging these women to come out and visit them at the house.  

He's bonkers. 

Holee shit. He does not sound mentally stable.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 11

35 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Not just doctors.  I'm talking for Jesus now.   I'll pray for your daughter, Chris.  Let me lay hands on her through this phone.  God, in the name of Jesus, please touch her.....Oh my, a meth addict since she was nine years old?  (I'm calling a Rick roll here!) 

So, Rick got Rick-rolled? :)  Anyway.  That was actually very interesting, as a peek into the mindset of a nutjob.

Thanks for taking one for the team, @JenniferJuniper.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Briefly said:

So, Rick got Rick-rolled? :)  Anyway.  That was actually very interesting, as a peek into the mindset of a nutjob.

Thanks for taking one for the team, @JenniferJuniper.

I'd like to say it was my pleasure, but it's really kind of scary.

On Sunday he "broadcasted" from the house with most of the family in the room.  This is where he actually anointed his phone with oil as he prayed for a Fam fan.  Paul and Cathy were in the frame and both looked extremely uncomfortable as he did this, as though they clearly understood how bizarre it would look to outsiders.  At another point he pulled one of the teenage boys into the picture and asked him about the "prayer room" he's "working" in.  The picture froze at this point so I couldn't see his expression, but the boy couldn't answer and then eventually mumbled "Idonknow".  

He'll be back at 8:30 to get in the car to do it all again.  He must have a lot of pent up ramblings from his social medial break.

Free the Arndts not named Rick.  

• Sad 5
  • WTF 11

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic