IGNORED

Safe at Home 4: Where the thread names change, but the Arndts stay the same

HerNameIsBuffy

Lordy Lou folks, you have to listen to Papa A ramble on.   Lasers, VV.  He is live now.

Yes, they DO need a TV show - of him live rambling.  Snort.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

12 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

But if we look at Paul and consider he's 39 in a few months, aside from the obvious limited social life what about retirement?    It's not likely he savings, never mind a 401k.  Social Security even? He may never have a family to support but what can he be thinking about his own financial solvency as he approaches 40?  Speaking for myself, the thought of relying on younger siblings in my old age is terrifying.

No worries. They are all counting on the Rapture occurring before they turn 65.

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

And those boys would have definitely been easily marriageable. Some of them are decent looking and Luke is awfully cute...

Agree that they could have easily gotten married.  Decent looking, cute even and I think they would have been good husbands and fathers, too.   It is assuming that they can relate to other people outside of their family and there seems to be some questions about that.    But even taking the isolation and overall weirdness factors into account, the ones doing court reporting would get out and meet people.  Same with wedding photography.  Plus they report going to the fitness club so there are opportunities to meet people there.    There was the software classic too.    So either they can't relate to people/women or they can but just shoot opportunities down, or scare anyone who is interested, off.  

I suspect that at first, when the older ones became adults, the family wasn't probably considered that weird, just big.  But now with all but one legally adults and the older ones in their later 20s-30s still at home, that is when things strike people as weird.   Now there are obstacles both in peoples' perception and that the whole family dynamic is a lot more entrenched that weren't probably there before.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

14 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

Lordy Lou folks, you have to listen to Papa A ramble on.   Lasers, VV.  He is live now.

Yes, they DO need a TV show - of him live rambling.  Snort.

And why are you not live-blogging!?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, nokidsmom said:

Agree that they could have easily gotten married.  Decent looking, cute even and I think they would have been good husbands and fathers, too.   It is assuming that they can relate to other people outside of their family and there seems to be some questions about that.   

Last year James, who serves as softball vidoegrapaher and narrator for their live streamed games, interacted with some young women spectators last season.  He was very awkward with them and treated them like a 13 year old boy would tease some girls he has a crush on.  James is cute and a talented carpenter, but women are generally not interested in men who behave that way.

I really think the lack of sisters played into the perfect storm here.  The older ones were in their teens by the time she was born and they've always treated her like a cute alien who fell from the sky.   Just three or four sisters interspersed among them may have gone a long way towards demystifying girls and women.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 3

9 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

And why are you not live-blogging!?

Ok, I took Rick for as long as I could tonight.  Cardboardeaux helped.

He said, while driving:

"Not human-based excitement" as he came to a stop sign to read FB comments. 

"I'll go straight for now."

He asked God to "send His gentle rain upon us" and then said he has been "working in the woods a lot."

He also cautioned us to "not have any areas in the darkness, stay in the light"

Dead air, driving in the dark....

Jude and he have been "using a laser in the woods" for a driveway.

More dead air, driving.

He "prayed for God to bring more people to the party" (this ain't no party, folks) and wants to go another 40 MINUTES on FB (help me)

Six viewers now.  

"We haven't been down there much to Dairy Queen"

"May God inflate us, like a flat tire"

He likes to walk trails at night.

More dead air.

As far as viewers, he says: "Like Golden Corral, might as well have a full restaurant."

That's all I could take.  

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • WTF 6
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 13

8 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Last year James, who serves as softball vidoegrapaher and narrator for their live streamed games, interacted with some young women spectators last season.  He was very awkward with them and treated them like a 13 year old boy would tease some girls he has a crush on.  James is cute and a talented carpenter, but women are generally not interested in men who behave that way.

Yep. If I was single and looking for a man in my age range, I wouldn't be interested in awkward teenage-style teasing. Nope, definitely not. The Arndts seem to act in a manner far too juvenile for their actual ages, and that would be a huge turn-off for a lot of women, even fundie ones. 

• Upvote 10

2 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

Yep. If I was single and looking for a man in my age range, I wouldn't be interested in awkward teenage-style teasing. Nope, definitely not. The Arndts seem to act in a manner far too juvenile for their actual ages, and that would be a huge turn-off for a lot of women, even fundie ones. 

No matter how cute a guy was, spending his leisure time playing with lego and penguins with his numerous brothers would be a major red flag.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

1 minute ago, Lisafer said:

plenty of women who ignore red flags.  I was an Olympic medalist in the sport of choosing badly.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5

15 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

plenty of women who ignore red flags.  I was an Olympic medalist in the sport of choosing badly.

True. There are probably women out there who would either ignore the Legos and penguins or think that they could change the situation. However, such a woman would probably have to make an all-out assault on the Arndt compound, forcibly kidnap their manchild of choice, and drag them to the altar while Rick and Cathy wail and rend their clothes. It seem like more effort than most people would want to make!

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 6
  • Thank You 1

29 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

True. There are probably women out there who would either ignore the Legos and penguins or think that they could change the situation. However, such a woman would probably have to make an all-out assault on the Arndt compound, forcibly kidnap their manchild of choice, and drag them to the altar while Rick and Cathy wail and rend their clothes. It seem like more effort than most people would want to make!

you just wrote the plot for Vine Valley 2!

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 18
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Lisafer said:

Cathy will never rend the White Shorts of Holiness.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 1

I’m convinced at least one son has secretly dated a girl. I think fundies often learn to hide a lot about their lives as adults to keep the peace. They travel away from home for work and could hide a relationship that way. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m convinced at least one son has secretly dated a girl. I think fundies often learn to hide a lot about their lives as adults to keep the peace. They travel away from home for work and could hide a relationship that way. 

Technically, yes, but Rick still keeps a short leash.  They travel for work and then generally come straight home.  Occasionally a manboy will travel alone, but it's not typical.   If they add a little vacation at the end of a far flung work trip, there are usually multiple brothers involved.

I remember when 30 something Jude was traveling back home from somewhere, he was texting Cathy repeatedly with his whereabouts.   Like "just one more hour, Mom".

So while I don't think they could hide a relationship from their parents, paying for sex is not out of the question, assuming they have some limited control over their finances.  And it's also possible there have been courtships that Rick and Cathy knew about that didn't go anywhere as Rick clearly doesn't report everything. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, lilith said:

No matter how cute a guy was, spending his leisure time playing with lego and penguins with his numerous brothers would be a major red flag.

Agree, seeing this in a grown man would send me running.  But I guess there might be someone out there who might seek to "change" whatever manboy she set her sights on.   Some folks like those challenges I guess.  But I want a boyfriend, not a project.  

1 hour ago, JenniferJuniper said:

And it's also possible there have been courtships that Rick and Cathy knew about that didn't go anywhere as Rick clearly doesn't report everything. 

If there were courtships / relationships that didn't work out, they probably failed early.  If it had gone on long enough, Rick might have seen fit to report it, even if he scrubbed things later.  

• Upvote 2

On 4/10/2019 at 7:47 PM, Lisafer said:

Plus, such a woman could end up like Joyce McKinney in The Case of the Manacled Mormon if the Arndt lad objected.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone here has been following Pastor Rick and listening in on his daily drives. I've noticed he has been talking a lot about the new property they recently bought.

What I find truly weird is why Rick hasn't mentioned that this property also has a house on it and why he is constantly showing the driveway but never going all the way to the house. To my knowledge, has never shown the house. Or maybe he has and I haven't heard that because I've only listened in on a few videos.

So who gets to live in the mysterious house? I'm guessing the older boys are getting that since they are the ones working for it.

Here is the house and lot on Zillow..... https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7664-Hertel-Rd-Millstadt-IL-62260/193745453_zpid/

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 5

39 minutes ago, Fallsview said:

I was wondering if anyone here has been following Pastor Rick and listening in on his daily drives.

Is this something that is only available live or can it be listened to after the fact like a podcast?

As for the new house - maybe someone is getting married?  Maybe?!

I've been house hunting for a rental and couldn't help myself....now I want to move there.

If only a several hour commute each way wasn't impractical.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Is this something that is only available live or can it be listened to after the fact like a podcast?

As for the new house - maybe someone is getting married?  Maybe?!

Someone among us is still clinging to hope, I see. ? This is not a thread for hope, Buffy. This is a thread where FJers grow old and gray and weary, slowly drifting in an endless whorl of Vine Valley clips and softball games, where time is marked only by an endless line of birthday cakes in the master bedroom, one undistinguishable from the next.

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 29
  • Love 1

About a month ago, Paul mentioned in one of the Sunday videos that “the guys” would be moving to a nearby property. Very vague as to which/how many guys but that is interesting what you found @Fallsview !

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

I’ll be honest here. If the older brothers do move into another house, that would be a huge step for the Arndts. Sure they probably won’t live that far away from the main Arndts home and they will be living with brothers... But still! That’s pretty huge. They can make a lot of their own decisions without Rick or Cathy around to see or judge. I know a lot of them travel for work and are away from the home a lot. But that’s just a few days here and there. To live in another house is a big step. God I hope they have a huge house warming party with non family females and penguins everywhere. 

• Upvote 17
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

4 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ll be honest here. If the older brothers do move into another house, that would be a huge step for the Arndts. Sure they probably won’t live that far away from the main Arndts home and they will be living with brothers... But still! That’s pretty huge. They can make a lot of their own decisions without Rick or Cathy around to see or judge. I know a lot of them travel for work and are away from the home a lot. But that’s just a few days here and there. To live in another house is a big step. God I hope they have a huge house warming party with non family females and penguins everywhere. 

I don’t know. The proximity worries me; it feels like just expanding the compound. And the house sounds close enough for random inspections by the White Shorts Authority.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 1

6 minutes ago, SusanAtTheLastBattle said:

I don’t know. The proximity worries me; it feels like just expanding the compound. And the house sounds close enough for random inspections by the White Shorts Authority.

I’d agree with you if they were regular people but given who they are I think this is absolutely huge.

• Upvote 7

9 minutes ago, SusanAtTheLastBattle said:

when I looked at the map it appears it might back up to the main house or at least be accessible by a side-by-side or golf cart. (red dot is the property, blue dot -provided by google automatically - is the arndt compound)Ard.jpg.c7c87c6d0ad2918f09f993c1202f530b.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 7

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic