IGNORED

Dillards 65: Standard Cringe, New Atrocious Signage

Georgiana

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

As a side - it appears the program charges single students $10,000 per school year to live in one of these properties - with roommates- does that seems like a pretty high rent for the area ? $800 a month for a room? 

I read that as if you opted out of the housing you paid 10k instead of 12k for the program. 

As a side - it appears the program charges single students $10,000 per school year to live in one of these properties - with roommates- does that seems like a pretty high rent for the area ? $800 a month for a room? 

Price wise it would depend on what's included. Ultities & Sqft of the place matters when factoring in the rent cost. But $800 sounds right assuming the place is 2 bedrooms & and all but electric is included. Just basing this on what I saw when I looked around fall 2016. There was also newer and high end apartments being built at time around that time with starting out around $800 or more near the campus.

Theories on income for the Dillard's:

Thinking about the cash flow situation, and I would not be surprised if Derrick's father had an pension* when he was working as a cop. I believe the survivors still receive the payments over time.

Also my bet with Cathy she probably had good health insurance either thru her company and/or with her husband's. Just basing on she went out of state for an experimental treatment in Fall of 2014.

Another element as will is that Derrick's family probably have a good nest egg overall. For one it is reality low cost of living in NWAR. The house they grew up in was likely a lot cheaper (
I also started to think the begging over the last 2.5ish year may have been a requirement for both ministry in order to work. My other theory is maybe Derrick was telling the truth that he work for the church for money while doing that silly program too. And by still doing so they get to keep the apartment.

10 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

I wonder if they misspoke and it was Josiah/Lauren's gigantic home. That was a major work in progress and could keep the lot of them busy for a while.

Does anybody know for how much the Stoneybrook house sold? I'm just curious as to what that sort of house would go for in rural Arkansas. I live in the most expensive real estate city in the country so these things always drive me nuts. When you watch a first time buyer couple on HGTV getting a 5,000 sq foot home somewhere like Atlanta for $250K it's like what the actual F...

Probably. He said it was a big house. FWIW I wouldn't really care this area "rural." Tontitown may have just a couple thousand people but the Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers area has over half a million and it's growing quickly. Not huge but definitely not rural. It's also growing quickly. I'm really not trying to defend the area (I JUST moved here) but it's not exactly how it's portrayed on TV. 

Thank you random person on reddit for telling us that Derick has toxic values....we had no clue. 

giving away his food to people is also not new :D

but I need more - does this person see Jill?

Thank you random person on reddit for telling us that Derick has toxic values....we had no clue. 
giving away his food to people is also not new [emoji3]
but I need more - does this person see Jill?
One of the comments says he only saw her that one time :)

Hope I posted that right. So Dave Ramsey is visiting their church. Sounds about right. Mr. Fluffer and I looked into that a looooong time ago. Too churchy for us. And not very realistic for the financial situation we were in at the time.

8 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Isn't Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood or Thomas the Tank Engine more appropriate for a 3 year old?

Right?! And what three year old is excited to see Dave Ramsey? Give me a break. 

8 hours ago, klabourdeth said:

Price wise it would depend on what's included. Ultities & Sqft of the place matters when factoring in the rent cost. But $800 sounds right assuming the place is 2 bedrooms & and all but electric is included. Just basing this on what I saw when I looked around fall 2016. There was also newer and high end apartments being built at time around that time with starting out around $800 or more near the campus.

Theories on income for the Dillard's:

Thinking about the cash flow situation, and I would not be surprised if Derrick's father had an pension* when he was working as a cop. I believe the survivors still receive the payments over time.

Also my bet with Cathy she probably had good health insurance either thru her company and/or with her husband's. Just basing on she went out of state for an experimental treatment in Fall of 2014.

Another element as will is that Derrick's family probably have a good nest egg overall. For one it is reality low cost of living in NWAR. The house they grew up in was likely a lot cheaper (
I also started to think the begging over the last 2.5ish year may have been a requirement for both ministry in order to work. My other theory is maybe Derrick was telling the truth that he work for the church for money while doing that silly program too. And by still doing so they get to keep the apartment.

I see the confusion here - you guys are talking about $800 a month for an apartment being about right . The school charges $800 a month per person, in homes with (multiple?) roommates. I wonder if they might even be charging $800 a month per person for a shared room in a house? That seems very high for the area.

*eta- I live in a ridiculously over-priced area - and $800 for a room in shared housing would be very low - but not completely unheard of. So $800 for a room in a shared apartment surprised me in low - cost NWA. 

Wow, being fan of Dave Ramsey at age of three. And remember those libertarian children books on free market? Israel must be world's smallest financial genius. 

2 hours ago, AlwaysExcited said:

Wow, being fan of Dave Ramsey at age of three. And remember those libertarian children books on free market? Israel must be world's smallest financial genius. 

That's how the Dillard's are making it, Izzy manages all their money and they are making bank on the stock market!

20 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@AtlanticTug, I'd think that a 5000 square foot house in Atlanta going for $250K would be really unusual.  

I thought so too but I've literally seen like 10 episodes in that area and all the houses were enormous and incredibly cheap. Now two possibilities - it's a far out suburb/exurb or the show was filmed shortly after the housing crash and the episodes are not new. It's Property Virgins, they don't make it clear on the show what year it's taking place.

@AtlanticTug, now that you mention it being on Property Virgins,  a lot of the homes that Egypt showed were in the exurbs of Atlanta.  Sometimes, it took quite a bit to convince the homebuyer that they didn't want to close in or live in one of the more desirable neighborhhoods.  

It's been several years since I've seen Property Virgins.  It ceased production in 2012 and Egypt's tenure on the show started in 2007.  I miss the old HGTV.  There are no more design shows (unless you count Flea Market Flip) and it's mostly Property Brothers, Love It or List It (which I don't mind as Hillary Farr is actually a good interior designer) and Fixer Upper, which I loathe and Flip or Flop.  There used  to be things like Cash and Cari about estate sales and one that explored the hidden histories of houses.  Oh, and Mike Holmes shows which are now on DIY as is Rehab Addict.  

There was an old tread on Houzz about trends that have jumped the shark and there were a lot of pros (interior designers and contractors) who were complaining about the unrealistic budgets and timelines presented on these shows.  

22 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

The reddit user in Derick's class posted again, saying basically that Derick is nice but weird.

I’m just shocked Derick thinks rapists should be given the death penalty given how little he cares about survivors of assault and his love for rapist politicians.

7 hours ago, AlwaysExcited said:

Remember, "you should make wise financial choices".   - Derick Dillard

13 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I’m just shocked Derick thinks rapists should be given the death penalty given how little he cares about survivors of assault and his love for rapist politicians.

Let's bear in mind Jim Bob was said to push for the death penalty for incest in his time as Arkansas State Representative. Our fundies never ever let cognitive disonance bother them. Plus, it is totally possible to expect sexual assualt victims to forgive and move on while SEVERELY punishing their perpetrator. Hey, what more do they want, we killed the SOB that raped them!? Plus, when they say rapist we know they mean that "scary, ungodly, foreigner lurking in the bushes." Not lily white, clean cut godly Christian men like Josh Duggar. Forgiveness for him. Death penalty for the others. I absolutely appreciate your post @HarryPotterFan. One more putrid layer of the rancid onion that is fundamentalism gets peeled away. 

Derick means the death penalty for scary brown men who jump out of the bushes and rape good, innocent White Christian women. He doesn’t mean “sluts” at a party who drank that night or good white Christian boys like Josh.  

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived