IGNORED

Dillards 65: Standard Cringe, New Atrocious Signage

Georgiana

49 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I remember once being in one of the UofA cafeterias when two guys stood up on the tables and performed a Christian version of "Baby Got Back." I doubt even Derick and Jill were that obnoxious.

By any chance was it “Baby Got Bible?”

Sir Mix-a-Lot Voice: “I like ‘em real thick and red lettered!” :pb_lol:

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, picklepizzas said:
S

Jill brought Derrick dinner because he was too busy studying to stop by home for his home-cooked meal. ? this does strike me as a bit much. like, jill cooked you dinner but then she has to wrangle the kids into the car and bring the dinner to you?

Sam continues to give the side eye and has zero shits to give.  You go Sam!

50 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I remember once being in one of the UofA cafeterias when two guys stood up on the tables and performed a Christian version of "Baby Got Back." I doubt even Derick and Jill were that obnoxious.

Seriously?  How incredibly immature.  

That absolutely wouldn't have been tolerated at my undergrad campus - full stop.  I could see it happening with the undergrads at my law school - it's has one of the worst reputations in Canada for childish, drunk, white-entitlement culture - but it sure as hell wouldn't have happened in the law school.  

You're supposed to be learning how to be confident, articulate, and act like a professional.  Honestly, after reading this thread - singing on tables, free-for-all drop-ins for anyone to classes, infants in the common areas - U of A sounds to me like a total disaster of a school.  

I wonder how Derick's fellow students feel about the fact that "friends" are getting the same education as they are for free, and hypothetically could use what she learned to get called to the bar in states that don't require a degree?

7 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

Honestly, after reading this thread - singing on tables, free-for-all drop-ins for anyone to classes, infants in the common areas - U of A sounds to me like a total disaster of a school.  

Seriously? You're judging an enormous university by a few anecdotes?

22 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

By any chance was it “Baby Got Bible?”

Sir Mix-a-Lot Voice: “I like ‘em real thick and red lettered!” :pb_lol:

Yep, that was it. :pb_lol:

FWIW, that was the only time I remember that happening in a cafeteria (which are very busy, noisy places anyway). There were sometimes people singing outside the Union, but that's a little different.

2 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

No, if I was judging the school, I would have said that it is a disaster of a school.  I said that from what I've heard here, it sounds like one.  I'm talking about public perceptions.  Derick is an idiot, and he's not exactly putting U of A's best face forward.  Because he's a moron, he attracts all the anecdotes about other comparable idiots at the school. 

He's not going to get compared, for instance, to Hillary Rodham Clinton.  

The U of A is a public university and anyone can visit the campus. There are children there all the time; I visited the campus as a child many times. Personally I enjoy a place where there is a lot going on but of course different environments are better suited for different people.

We know of ONE class where the professor encourages visitors and it's ridiculous to judge the whole school on that. I don't think it's a bad thing either if the professor is okay with it. And on the reddit thread from the first time Jill posted about going to class with Derick there were multiple posters who said they went to other law schools and were at times encouraged to bring visitors.

51 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

No, if I was judging the school, I would have said that it is a disaster of a school.  I said that from what I've heard here, it sounds like one.

It still sounds very judgmental based on fairly trivial things. I just realized you're also the person who called family day "lowbrow," though, which is one of the weirder comments I've seen.

By the way, my brother attended an Ivy League school and they had an entire family weekend. There was also plenty of obnoxious behavior on campus. I'd be shocked if there was actually a university without students behaving poorly at times.

Edit: That seemed harsher than I want to sound. Of course it's okay if different people have different preferences for what they want their classes and university to be like. I found out that I don't much like the small, private college atmosphere, for example. For all I complained about the UofA while I was there, I missed the busy atmosphere and the diversity (even in the south, having such a huge student body means there are a lot of different groups represented, including age diversity which is virtually non-existent at a lot of small private colleges). Some people prefer a completely different environment and that is of course fine as well. In the context of the fairly trivial things we've been discussing I don't think you can say one environment is necessarily better than the other, it's more personal preference.

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'd agree but at a university I think there's an expectation if no screaming babies

True, but I think people are going to be annoyed by screaming babies just about anywhere!

I don't think it's a big deal at all that they brought the kids to a common eating area, which are rarely going to be especially quiet. It would be much more of an issue if they brought the kids into a library and let them be disruptive in an area where you do expect to have a quiet atmosphere to study in. I wonder if they're the type of parents who think their children should be allowed everywhere, no matter how disruptive they are.

10 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

You did a great kindness.  Karma will look kindly on you :)

I admit it was a bit selfish too. I love my nephew and would do anything for him. I always say between us it's true love :my_blush:

6 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

That's so extra. I'd hate to be the person trying to eat and study at the same time only for a bunch of random kids to show up.

When it's been a loong day, you're stressed about exams and cramming at uni, people talking and rummaging around the library is annoying enough.

Imagine taking a little sanity break and having a snack and someone having a family dinner with to screaming toddlers? :cussing: Earplugs won't help.

Dude, you chose to have eleventy kids plus a uber clingy wife and to go back to school to avoid getting a real job. Your choice, why should your peers suffer?

Our Uni share flat was right next to an elementary school... I spent a lot of time at the library... Trust me, nothing sets you off like a couple of wailing children having temper tantrums when you have an exam to study for.

7 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I don’t know how U of A is, but at my university, there was an expectation of reasonable noise in the general eating areas, even the ones in the library building. If you were trying to eat and study and required focus, the onus was on you to bring headphones. I think communal eating areas are generally regarded as a social space, and I never thought it was odd when people brought their families in to eat, which wasn’t terribly uncommon. 

Yeah. When I was at uni, the eating areas were social spaces, not study spaces, even on the library floor with food services. They were not quiet areas. People would take their (quietly packaged) food to their desks if they wanted to eat and study at the same time

My dad taught at a major Ivy League school when I was a little kid. I dimly remember going there one afternoon with my mom and waiting for dad out side the lecture hall. He used to go in on weekends to catch up on work and would sometimes take me along.  I was a free range child and remember running all over campus like it was my personal kingdom.  

But not once did my mom drag her three kids to "visit" daddy.

I don’t see much wrong with Jill bringing the meal and the kids to eat with their dad. He could have had a short turn around between the end of classes and a study group with his classmates and phoned to say he would pick up dinner at the cafe and Jill decided to meet him. It doesn’t seem to be an every day occurrence and Derick did seem to appreciate Jill’s effort. I’ll bet Israel was excited to see where Daddy was going to school and Sam was happy to have some guacamole! I think she forgot the Margaritas. 

Dealing with wailing babies at a busy public cafe is one thing, enduring them at a university common area is another.

(We recently changed our brunch place because a huge mommy plus horde of little ones became regulars. But hey, it's a free country, they have every right to be there, so we switched.)

10 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Yep, that was it. :pb_lol:

FWIW, that was the only time I remember that happening in a cafeteria (which are very busy, noisy places anyway). There were sometimes people singing outside the Union, but that's a little different.

"Baby Got Book" was a super funny parody that someone made a music video of. I don't know if it was a church or youth group or what but we used to watch it and just die laughing. 

'oh my gosh, Becky. Look at her Bible. It's so big. She looks like one of those preacher guy's girlfriends" 

The chorus was "NIV with a ribbon bookmark" honestly it still makes me giggle. ??

They're not eating in the library, not even at a shared table. If you're trying to study while eating or need silence, it's on you to find a space that works at any educational institution. Go to a quiet floor of the library, go sit on the quad, go to a cafe to avoid your neighbor's loud dog, bunker down in the lounge to avoid your roommate's whooping cough. Jill sat in a seat in class? Cool, you can sit in another seat and still learn things.

Derick's family visiting him for a quick meal isn't impacting anyone else's education, if anything it's just giving his classmates an excuse.

I don't like Jill and Derick, I take umbrage at their beliefs, at many of their out of touch social media posts, but this one is just BEC.

People keep talking about screaming, wailing babies/toddlers. Izzy and Sam arent screaming and wailing. They appear happy and well behaved in the picture. Damn.

13 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

Being an accountant during busy season is very different than being a student studying after hours. Also... I used to work at the big four and quite frankly I think it’d be super weird if we were all working super late together as a team and someone took a leisurely meal and brought their family in to eat with them. But idk, that was the culture at my firm. 

Big Four is definitely a different animal than the regional firm my husband is at. We’ve shown up to take him out for a quick dinner a couple times during busy season and no one thought it was weird or odd. It’s not perfect, but he works for a firm that tries to be supportive and understanding - especially of employees who put in a lot of effort year round. My husband and his coworkers also seem to work more individually rather than on teams. He supervises and checks the work the staff do, but it’s not like he’s constantly working in a group with others. If he was I wouldn’t have offered to bring him food or take him out to eat quickly. 

As far as the Dills I still see nothing wrong. They aren’t camped out in the middle of a quiet study area or anything. There looks to be a microwave behind Derick, so I’d assume they’re in a designated eating area. In my experience, those are rarely designated as quiet study areas and I wouldn’t expect people to be quiet in that specific setting. And like others mentioned, we don’t know what his class schedule is like and how quick a turn around there was between classes or study groups. It’s possible he really couldn’t get home for dinner. 

I get that it’s tough for a lot of people to look past the fact that the Dillards are idiots and pretty disgusting humans, but I genuinely don’t see anything off about this. Derick often comes across as an entitled douche who doesn’t really appreciate his family as much as he should, but he’s doesn’t seem to be doing that this time. He seems happy and grateful that Jill and the boys took the time to eat with him. 

37 minutes ago, cascarones said:

They're not eating in the library, not even at a shared table. If you're trying to study while eating or need silence, it's on you to find a space that works at any educational institution. Go to a quiet floor of the library, go sit on the quad, go to a cafe to avoid your neighbor's loud dog, bunker down in the lounge to avoid your roommate's whooping cough. Jill sat in a seat in class? Cool, you can sit in another seat and still learn things.

Derick's family visiting him for a quick meal isn't impacting anyone else's education, if anything it's just giving his classmates an excuse.

I don't like Jill and Derick, I take umbrage at their beliefs, at many of their out of touch social media posts, but this one is just BEC.

I agree. If it wouldn’t bother me if someone else did it then I’m not going to criticize the Dills for doing it too. 

7 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

When it's been a loong day, you're stressed about exams and cramming at uni, people talking and rummaging around the library is annoying enough.

Imagine taking a little sanity break and having a snack and someone having a family dinner with to screaming toddlers? :cussing: Earplugs won't help.

Dude, you chose to have eleventy kids plus a uber clingy wife and to go back to school to avoid getting a real job. Your choice, why should your peers suffer?

Our Uni share flat was right next to an elementary school... I spent a lot of time at the library... Trust me, nothing sets you off like a couple of wailing children having temper tantrums when you have an exam to study for.

I think there may be a cultural difference or something going on in this thread. I attended a public university in New England. Common areas not designated as quiet study areas were open to the public and fair game for socializing. So the Dillards sharing a family meal in what appears to be an eating area (which we don’t even know was in the actual library or not) wouldn’t have been odd or weird at all. 

And I don’t know if it’s necessarily fair to assume that Izzy and Sam were loud or acting bratty either. 

33 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I think there may be a cultural difference or something going on in this thread. I attended a public university in New England. Common areas not designated as quiet study areas were open to the public and fair game for socializing. So the Dillards sharing a family meal in what appears to be an eating area (which we don’t even know was in the actual library or not) wouldn’t have been odd or weird at all. 

Back in the dark ages, we had a pub on campus. The center was NOT a "quiet" area by any stretch of the imagination. There were quiet rooms upstairs and in the library but the center was the hub of student activity and general hell raising. 

A couple of my friends would bring their younger siblings to campus, some older students brought their kids. Profs brought their kids. 

When I went back to finish years later, I would bring my son with me a couple of nights a week...hub was working and you can't leave a 9 year old alone. He'd kick back and read a book or listen quietly. I think he got more out of my Statics class than I did. But, I knew the head of the department and a couple of the profs pretty well and they had no problem w/kid in class as long as he didn't turn into raging asshole kid (which he didn't). 

13 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

What sort of legal studying could possibly require being at the campus into the evening in this day and age?  And especially in the first month of law school?  Even almost ten years ago, I could do pretty much all my studying/work at home.  

It's baffling.  Is he avoiding his kids?  Is he struggling with reading speed or comp? 

I mean, when I was a 1L 4 years ago, I used to go to the law building early in the morning and get all of my reading done in the library rather than at home. It wasn't that I *couldn't* do it at home, I just preferred to do school related stuff at school so that when I was home I was officially "off." I can understand why someone with kids would want to do things that way, so that when they're home they're completely available instead of at home with their family but studying so they couldn't be disturbed. That being said, I had friends who didn't want to spend one more second on campus than was absolutely necessary. I think it's more a matter of personal preference than him having to be on campus to get the work done. 

2 minutes ago, Runningfromreality said:

It wasn't that I *couldn't* do it at home, I just preferred to do school related stuff at school so that when I was home I was officially "off." I can understand why someone with kids would want to do things that way, so that when they're home they're completely available instead of at home with their family but studying so they couldn't be disturbed

That was me when I went back to school. I didn't want studying hanging over my head when I was home. I'd go into school on Saturday mornings to get my homework/studying done so I could be fully present at home the rest of the day. Kid and hub would be asleep/watching TV, doing God knows what. I'd be home noon-ish and then the rest of the weekend was ours. If I had to study for a test, I'd head to school right from work. It was much better for our family than bitching at a 9 -10 year old little boy to be quiet. At that age they're pretty much unable to be quiet. 

When I graduated, kid and hub felt like they'd had a big part in me finishing. They were right. I couldn't have gone to school full time and worked full time for 2 years without them. They knew and know what their love and support meant to me. 

17 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Why didn't Jill pack it up for school and have Derick keep it in a fridge?

Because that wouldn't look nearly as adoring and self-sacrificing on social media.

17 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

It just doesn’t seem that weird to me, but maybe I’m missing something. 

I don't think doing it on occasion is weird, and I could see myself doing it under normal circumstances.  My pet peeve, and I admit it's my BEC thing, is needing to thank one's spouse for this kind of thing publicly.   

I am a big believer in expressing gratitude to family and I have great kids who do things to make my life easier all the time, I make sure they know how much I appreciate them and always say thank you.  It's the advertising it I find weird.

Maybe I'm just pissy today - but I don't think the act is bad, just needing public attention for it is obnoxious to me.  But I don't live my life on social media so I shouldn't be commenting.

18 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

Jill brought Derrick dinner because he was too busy studying to stop by home for his home-cooked meal. ? this does strike me as a bit much. like, jill cooked you dinner but then she has to wrangle the kids into the car and bring the dinner to you?

She's probably stoked to do it. Spouses and mates of people in law school get pretty lonely. And just imagine - she's pretty much alone all the time with toddlers, while he is learning and associating with other adults. 

Shes probably excited to see the real world for a moment, a place of higher education that she's never received and never will. And she's probably happy to have his attention or spend time with him for the length of the dinner. 

Apparently she actually accompanied him to one of his classes and sat in. It's quite sad, really. She will never have the opportunity to challenge herself and gain an education like he does. All she has is dah-pers, babies, cleaning, cooking and drudgery with some jinder reveal parties and weddings thrown in. 

Oh and I guess bibles and homeschooling. 

Sounds like utter hell to me. 

I wonder how Derick's fellow students feel about the fact that "friends" are getting the same education as they are for free, and hypothetically could use what she learned to get called to the bar in states that don't require a degree?

I think that's an overstatement from what we know.  The reddit poster said she attended a couple of times when the professor allowed visitors.  I think that's an odd thing for the professor to do, but sitting in on a class or two isn't going to give someone anywhere near the level of education for which the students are paying.

What sort of legal studying could possibly require being at the campus into the evening in this day and age?  And especially in the first month of law school?  Even almost ten years ago, I could do pretty much all my studying/work at home.  

It's baffling.  Is he avoiding his kids?  Is he struggling with reading speed or comp? 

I'm an attorney. Most parents and married people I knew in law school studied at school rather than home. 

Having kids running around would be far too distracting. Having a spouse running around would've driven me insane. Plus, a lot of studying is group study. 

Seriously?  How incredibly immature.  

That absolutely wouldn't have been tolerated at my undergrad campus - full stop.  I could see it happening with the undergrads at my law school - it's has one of the worst reputations in Canada for childish, drunk, white-entitlement culture - but it sure as hell wouldn't have happened in the law school.  

You're supposed to be learning how to be confident, articulate, and act like a professional.  Honestly, after reading this thread - singing on tables, free-for-all drop-ins for anyone to classes, infants in the common areas - U of A sounds to me like a total disaster of a school.  

No one would care that she's in class. 

You know I'm not sure what I learned in law school was pivotal to passing the bar. They teach you how to think and analyze not how to take the test. I took separate courses of study for that. Barbri, PMBR and a week long intensive seminar on only one portion of the bar exam, which our school paid for. 

The rest was quite pricey. 

People are concentrating too hard  in class to give a shit who else is there. 

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived