IGNORED

Dillards 65: Standard Cringe, New Atrocious Signage

Georgiana

9 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

Dude, you chose to have eleventy kids plus a uber clingy wife and to go back to school to avoid getting a real job. Your choice, why should your peers suffer?

There are a lot of things to criticize Derek for, but he has two kids and neither were screaming to anyone's knowledge and they were in a public area where people were eating...not the library.

If his peers are "suffering" because a public eating area isn't silent then they should learn sometimes you have to share public places with other people and to find ways to accommodate their needs.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, seraaa said:

Yeah. When I was at uni, the eating areas were social spaces, not study spaces, even on the library floor with food services. They were not quiet areas. People would take their (quietly packaged) food to their desks if they wanted to eat and study at the same time

Yeah they probably weren't in a study area when Jill came dragging the babies there. 

I think, at least from what I am seeing, a lot of the difference is cultural. @acheronbeach is Canadian, so am I. I said that MUN doesn't have family days, so that seems totally out to lunch for me. So I can see where she is coming from there. There also aren't kid on campus generally speaking. At MUN there's the daycare centre, so you will see kids feeding the ducks down by the duck pond or playing in the yard there. You may see kids in the university centre, if the parents are waiting for the bus, or to eat. However, it's rare. Maybe it was just the hours that I kept, but I rarely saw a child on campus, and I never saw a child in the MUN library. We don't have a law school and the med school is separate. It's part of the hospital, so it wouldn't be odd to see children there. That may be the difference, but children on campus just aren't common.

If Jill wants to pack up and bring dinner to Derek, if she's disturbing no one, it's fine. It would just be seen as odd at MUN. Now I didn't spend any more time on campus than I needed to, so I may be wrong. I think that it just may be a cultural difference.

Based on her IG, Jill doesn't seem to have that many friends of her own. Of course it's only a small part of her life we see, but it appears she's mostly with Derick and her kids (or #nokids), or her family (buddy group and Cathy). Maybe that's one big reason why she looks so lonely and clings with all her strength to Derick.

13 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I think, at least from what I am seeing, a lot of the difference is cultural. @acheronbeach is Canadian, so am I. I said that MUN doesn't have family days, so that seems totally out to lunch for me. So I can see where she is coming from there. There also aren't kid on campus generally speaking. At MUN there's the daycare centre, so you will see kids feeding the ducks down by the duck pond or playing in the yard there. You may see kids in the university centre, if the parents are waiting for the bus, or to eat. However, it's rare. Maybe it was just the hours that I kept, but I rarely saw a child on campus, and I never saw a child in the MUN library. We don't have a law school and the med school is separate. It's part of the hospital, so it wouldn't be odd to see children there. That may be the difference, but children on campus just aren't common.

If Jill wants to pack up and bring dinner to Derek, if she's disturbing no one, it's fine. It would just be seen as odd at MUN. Now I didn't spend any more time on campus than I needed to, so I may be wrong. I think that it just may be a cultural difference.

There's a difference though between being surprised by different cultural norms and saying that things are bad because they're not what you're used to. I've seen a lot of people express the former and that's fine, but the latter is what bothers me.

On 9/21/2018 at 5:37 PM, Carm_88 said:

They're laying low and as of now keeping their hateful opinions to themselves.

That might be the best we’ll ever get from a Duggar actually.

On 9/27/2018 at 11:14 AM, kiwi said:

And wtf a date at sams (is that a supermarket??) isn’t that just adulting... doing groceries with your wife and kids isnt a date! Thats being a freaken adult dumb dumb

It seems like pretty much all time you spend with your spouse outside of the home is a date to them. In that case Mr Way and I had an awesome dateday today where we first went to an open house, then to a shop where he and Miniway had to watch me try on clothes and then to a café where we had coffee with my parents. #couplegoals #bestdayever

I wasn't even aware that there is a cultural difference. The idea of family days on campus and having kids running around in the common areas is completely alien to me. And kids that age don't stay put or quiet for long, maybe for a photo if you are lucky.

In theory, some of the areas are open to the public, but you'll only see students around the campus area and the adjacent cafés. My ex started working straight after highschool and we used to joke that we're living in a  parallel universe. There's clubs and restaurants where students go to and apparently nobody else, got to know a lot of new places during that relationship.

Also, you can't eat or in the library, you can't bring bags inside, you have to get a locker. The common area has some sofas and vending machines, the mensa is closed after lunch. You are allowed to talk there but people usually just wisper... Or take a nap. The main campus and is locked off in the evening, only the library is open until midnight. So yeah your wife and kids popping in for dinner would be odd.

Bringing your wife to class, even for lectures where the patient confidentiality clause doesn't apply would get people upset. Especially in Preclinic where you'd have a huge 400 people auditorium. If you wanted a seat in a row where you could actually read what the professor was writing (or painting... the anatomy department is very old school) you'd have to be there about 60-45 min early

1 minute ago, squiddysquid said:

I wasn't even aware that there is a cultural difference.

Well apparently there is! I find it odd that people are so surprised by the idea of a family day since that seems entirely normal to me, but clearly it isn't in other campus cultures.

Now eating in the library is usually not okay anywhere, and that's not what Derick and Jill did either. I'm not entirely sure where the idea that they did bring the whole family into the library to eat came from.

I do think that "kids running around in the common areas" is an exaggeration. Even when I've seen kids on campuses I haven't seen that unless maybe it was some kind of elementary school field trip. (Those were fairly common at a small, private college I attended for a while, and TBH I did find it pretty annoying even though it made sense for elementary classes to be taking a field trip to the science museum on campus.) Even somewhere like the grocery store, where it is entirely expected to see children with their parents, it would be obnoxious if kids were running around.

4 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Even somewhere like the grocery store, where it is entirely expected to see children with their parents, it would be obnoxious if kids were running around. 

Well we've seen the Duggar kids on trips, always being anything but quiet and toddlers sitting still, even just for a meal, well that won't happen, which is ok, I'd get suspicious about the parents if they didn't but a uni campus is for students only here, no spouses either.

Some people took their dogs with them for a lecture or two and some students would complain. I never understood that, they were just sit under the table of their human. Some would come over for a belly rub if you gestured, very soothing during exam season IMHO.

A friend who studied languages told me a professor tried to kick out the guiding dog of a blind student. Yeah, that teacher was an asshole and of course he couldn't. But maybe that context might explain to Americans why kids at campus seems ludacris to some of us.

5 minutes ago, squiddysquid said:

Well we've seen the Duggar kids on trips, always being anything but quiet and toddlers sitting still, even just for a meal, well that won't happen, which is ok, I'd get suspicious about the parents if they didn't but a uni campus is for students only here, no spouses either.

Some people took their dogs with them for a lecture or two and some students would complain. I never understood that, they were just sit under the table of their human. Some would come over for a belly rub if you gestured, very soothing during exam season IMHO.

A friend who studied languages told me a professor tried to kick out the guiding dog of a blind student. Yeah, that teacher was an asshole and of course he couldn't. But maybe that context might explain to Americans why kids at campus seems ludacris to some of us.

Ludacris, you say? ;)

MV5BMjEwMTU3MDkzOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzc2

I get that it's not normal to some people (and even in the places I went to in the US it's not like people brought visitors often, it's just that it wasn't a big deal when they did, plus if the visitor was an adult and it was a large class the it's unlikely anyone would even notice) and that's fine, but "ludicrous" sounds overly judgmental. I actually haven't ever seen non-service dog pets in class and I can totally understand why some students would find that distracting the same way a baby in class can be distracting, but I wouldn't call it ludicrous or lowbrow or anything like that.

14 minutes ago, squiddysquid said:

It would be soothing to me too, as well as highly distracting.

As someone who loves animals far more than people in my perfect world they would be allowed everywhere safe for them.  But in that perfect world allergies wouldn't exist nor would fear of dogs - in this world both of those are very real things.

Come to think of it, I have seen areas for petting animals during exam season, but never in actual classes.

(With the caveat that I've taken biology classes and labs with animals in them, and I enjoyed hanging out with a particular snake in one of my labs, but that's different from bringing pets into class!)

10 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Come to think of it, I have seen areas for petting animals during exam season, but never in actual classes.

That I have seen! As stress relief, at the university centre. Never went myself because I wasn't on campus if I didn't have to be!

13 hours ago, Scrabblemaster said:

I admit it was a bit selfish too. I love my nephew and would do anything for him. I always say between us it's true love :my_blush:

A good afternoon for all involved :) When my son was a baby to toddler, the ultimate luxury was the rare nap.  

33 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I enjoyed hanging out with a particular snake in one of my labs, but that's different from bringing pets into class!)

I was a research assistant and while I worked with (human) patients I loved when I got tossed back over to our labs, because there was one bunny I just adored. It was an addiction research lab, so this little cocaine bunny technically just had a number for a name, but for us assistants and our greek myth naming system she was Phaedra.

She also bit frat idiot who managed to delete massive amounts of data entry, so that's probably why she was so loved.

In my experience, seeing families and little kids around college campuses isn't unusual at all, so I can't harp on the Dills' latest post. I do think that having random non-students in the actual classrooms while class is in session is not a good idea (both for safety and for maintaining an undistracted class) but that's on the professor who encourages it.

Derick's classmate is back with a new account:

I might very well be the "creep" in question. :pb_lol: (Though maybe not as  I made no attempt to discover their actual identity and definitely didn't go through their entire account history.) Reddit accounts are public though and it's pretty hypocritical to get upset about someone looking at public comments you've made when you're gossiping about your classmate.

I mean, I have a reddit account too and get messages all the time about a post I made years ago. It's normal on reddit to look at someone's old posts (just ask Ken Bone!) and if you don't want people to do that then it's as simple as deleting those posts.

Reddit isn't a nice place. I'm sure it can be, but as someone whose introduction to reddit was my photo being posted on an incel subforum and since my instagram username was blocked out it was *fine*. I get where this person is coming from, she put it out there about Derick for whatever reason, but she didn't ask to be trolled and was anyway. 

@Rachel333 It may be normal to look up someone's old posts on that forum, but reposting them somewhere else to essentially dox someone is unnecessary and downright mean. You didn't have any intention of discussing her viewpoints or morals over here. Just wanted Derick and his classmates to know who was gossiping? 

I don't get it.

------

I'll leave it, the original post got quoted while I was trying to find my words. 

10 minutes ago, cascarones said:

Reddit isn't a nice place. I'm sure it can be, but as someone whose introduction to reddit was my photo being posted on an incel subforum and since my instagram username was blocked out it was *fine*. I get where this person is coming from, she put it out there about Derick for whatever reason, but she didn't ask to be trolled and was anyway. 

It may be normal to look up someone's old posts on that forum, but reposting them somewhere else to essentially dox someone isn't nice. 

That really is nasty that they did that to you.

Honestly, I would have deleted at least part of the post I did make if that had been an option here and if someone hadn't quoted me very quickly, but I didn't post anything directly from her account (I mentioned her tattoo, which is what I most regretted posting, but even then I went and found another image of the character rather than posting the actual picture she posted) and made no attempt to discover her actual identity.

@Rachel333 That's nice to know and your snake friend is lovely. We all do stupid stuff on the internet and wish for the edit button more often than not. I think I'm just touchy about it having just gone (still going through) the Reddit thing and bleed over. I didn't mean to be harsh, I just know it sucks from the other side.

Just now, cascarones said:

@Rachel333 That's nice to know and your snake friend is lovely. We all do stupid stuff on the internet and wish for the edit button more often than not. I think I'm just touchy about it having just gone (still going through) the Reddit thing and bleed over. I didn't mean to be harsh, I just know it sucks from the other side.

Having that happen would be genuinely traumatic, no doubt about that. I'm really sorry that happened to you and I don't blame you for being touchy.

This whole site is about taking things fundies write about online and reposting them here to mock, and to be honest I do think sometimes that we go too far and I wonder if I shouldn't be participating in it. Like with the reddit user in question, of course I'm curious about what she has to say about Derick, but Derick would have every right to be upset that someone is anonymously gossiping about him to strangers online.

6 hours ago, amendgitan said:

I'm an attorney. Most parents and married people I knew in law school studied at school rather than home. 

Having kids running around would be far too distracting. Having a spouse running around would've driven me insane. Plus, a lot of studying is group study. 

No one would care that she's in class. 

You know I'm not sure what I learned in law school was pivotal to passing the bar. They teach you how to think and analyze not how to take the test. I took separate courses of study for that. Barbri, PMBR and a week long intensive seminar on only one portion of the bar exam, which our school paid for. 

The rest was quite pricey. 

People are concentrating too hard  in class to give a shit who else is there. 

I was different. I preferred to study at home. I could put on my pjs, listen to my music and snuggle cats, none of which I could do at school.

For the first two years, however, he was either working second shift or teaching 80 miles away from our home.  I studied at home so we would at least be within feet of each other. I didn't study Friday night. I was pretty successful at not studying on Saturday unless it was finals.

@Rachel333 and I have just been an FJ thread demonstration of hashing out differences without anyone needing to use the move along button. If nothing else today, I'm really proud of that. 

I've got several too ripe bananas and am debating giving Jill's recipe a whirl.

I'll admit, I was a bit shocked/stunned when I saw the tattoo graphic posted. I was really hurt for the "mole" and actually kind of worried for her (his?) safety, especially with such an identifying *thing* being shared. To be honest, my main concern was that the University would expel her (him?) over "sharing" stuff outside of class. 

But I get it - you put your shit out there on the Interwebs and somebody's gonna find it/you and call you on it. (You in general, not specifically "you" in this case.)

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived