IGNORED

Dillards 65: Standard Cringe, New Atrocious Signage

Georgiana

1 hour ago, neurogirl said:

Wow Derick's tweet equating sexual assault to a childhood game is just beyond horrible considering Jill's (childhood) history.

He also endorsed Roy Moore, before somebody with sense made him take it down. I don't like it, I don't agree with any of it, but I *can* hope that he is discussing things with Jill before he does things like this.

We only know from one interview, heavily guided, how Jill felt about what happened to her and how she views it in context of herself now. People process things differently and not every victim wants that label forever. We know the Duggars handled it horribly, we know the girls had very different reactions in police interviews and that not all of them have chosen to speak about it. The Duggar women rarely take political stances outside of being pro life, so we only get a sense (and assume) from what their husbands choose to endorse.

Do I personally think it would be wise to save political endorsements for people not accused of sexual crimes against minors given Jill's history? Of course I do, but I'm not Derick and he clearly gave zero fucks last time he got political, doubled down on attacking minors and fellow network stars to show he gives negative fucks to the point he lost family income.

The *thing* that gets me is he thinks he is making a difference, he wants to make a difference in the wider evangelical vote despite knowing first hand sexual assault may not come out until years later. 

Really, he must have been in class without twitter fingers for it to have taken this long.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shes just awkward as fuck on social media...
“Laugh out loud wow! Kudos for even attempting laugh out loud”

Writing out the lol in full and reading it back, speechless3c723007b1a02ec8b8c1a103634ee659.png

36467222e1a980f721a5e3290167fd96.png

28 minutes ago, kiwi said:

Writing out the lol in full and reading it back, speechless3c723007b1a02ec8b8c1a103634ee659.png

36467222e1a980f721a5e3290167fd96.png

Of all things to criticize Jill for, this seems really minor. 

I find it incredibly sad and telling that after 4 years of marriage Dereck still does not really know Jill. Does he actually think that Jill’s education is foundation ally adequate to educate others to college admittance? Seriously? If so, he does not have a clue!

Derick is like Jill Rod, just when you think he can't stoop lower he does. His wife and three of her sisters were victims of abuse, even if Jill says she has healed from it, that doesn't mean he should make light about other abuse allegations, if these allegations were aimed at a Democrat or anyone else with differing beliefs Derick would not be poking fun at the victim's.

On 9/20/2018 at 5:02 AM, Pecansforeveryone said:

Covenant Marriage in Arkansas can have grounds for termination only on the following:

(1) The other spouse has committed adultery;

(2) The other spouse has committed a felony or other infamous crime;

(3) The other spouse has physically or sexually abused the spouse seeking the divorce or a child of one of the spouses;

(4) The spouses have been living separate and apart continuously without reconciliation for a period of two years (or two years and six months of a minor child is involved);

(5) The spouses have been living separate and apart continuously without reconciliation for a period of two years from the date the judgment of judicial separation was signed.

I bolded number 4 because I think that is the most likely scenario. However, I certainly don't think it's likely to happen anytime soon, if ever. I think Derrick is definitely unhappy in his roles as husband and father (and that's totally on him for the choices he made). However, I think he is distracting himself with law school and other "projects" and might be able to kill time this way for some years to come. The link for the website on covenant marriage in Arkansas is included below.

https://www.lesliecopelandlaw.com/divorcecustodyattorneylawyerfay

I find this interesting because in the UK these are the standard laws re getting a divorce. Grounds are adultery, unreasonable behaviour (the court decides what constitutes that, but it would probably cover 'infamous crime' and physical/sexual abuse), or desertion. If none of these can be proved, the couple are required to live apart for either 2 years (if both consent) or 5 (if one partner doesn't).

There is a consultation ongoing towards changing this, but who knows if it'll happen. Until then, everyone's basically in a covenant marriage.

5 hours ago, viii said:

I have to agree. I think this is a good example of what some people (myself included) were attempting to point out about the Dillard threads versus the threads for her siblings. Jill gets criticized for basically everything she does, even if it’s well within BEC territory like this is, while her siblings mostly don’t. 

(And again, I do absolutely understand why that happens. It is extremely difficult for a lot of people to see past the stupid shit Jill and Derick have done, said, and supported.  I’m not blaming anyone for reacting that way because it’s understandable, I just don’t see the point in criticizing Jill for absolutely every tiny little thing. She definitely deserves criticism for the disgusting or dangerous stuff she posts, but being a bit awkward on a comment she left someone or making a somewhat weird congratulatory sign for her husband who she’s clearly proud of? Not so much.)

6 hours ago, viii said:

I agree... if jessa had said this then everyone would be talking about her social media game and how relatable and snarky she is.

2 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

I find this interesting because in the UK these are the standard laws re getting a divorce. Grounds are adultery, unreasonable behaviour (the court decides what constitutes that, but it would probably cover 'infamous crime' and physical/sexual abuse), or desertion. If none of these can be proved, the couple are required to live apart for either 2 years (if both consent) or 5 (if one partner doesn't).

Does this make people in the UK think harder about getting married, getting divorced, or both?

9 hours ago, viii said:

Yeah, in that post, the fact that Alyssa is involving her kids in garbage man Dan Webster's campaign for theocracy is waaaay more worthy of criticism than Jill saying lol twice.

4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I have to agree. I think this is a good example of what some people (myself included) were attempting to point out about the Dillard threads versus the threads for her siblings. Jill gets criticized for basically everything she does, even if it’s well within BEC territory like this is, while her siblings mostly don’t. 

(And again, I do absolutely understand why that happens. It is extremely difficult for a lot of people to see past the stupid shit Jill and Derick have done, said, and supported.  I’m not blaming anyone for reacting that way because it’s understandable, I just don’t see the point in criticizing Jill for absolutely every tiny little thing. She definitely deserves criticism for the disgusting or dangerous stuff she posts, but being a bit awkward on a comment she left someone or making a somewhat weird congratulatory sign for her husband who she’s clearly proud of? Not so much.)

Right? I don't particularly like Jill, but the hate she gets on here compared to her siblings baffles me. They're all equally shitty, and should all equally be called out for the things they say and do, but Jill using 'lol' twice in a sentence doesn't count. It really bothers me when she's the focal point of criticism instead of someone like Jessa, who is far more dangerous in my opinion. 

@viii I think it comes down to the way that Jill treated her siblings in the past. She made Jana alter all those dresses and make the ties for her wedding, she was really judgmental and told Jinger to be content when she said she wanted to live in a city. She just has that brown noser personality that I know if she was in high school, she would be that awkward kid reminding the teacher that there was homework. The over the top suck up to authority type.

Then there's the fact that she is constantly trying to make her husband look good. Derick who as of last night retweeted an article comparing a sexual assault case with cheating in a childhood game. He's the #besthubbyever! Jill is a victim of childhood sexual abuse and that's what he does? And she then posts about him being the best dad ever! Jinger is getting similar backlash now because of Jeremy's shitty beliefs that he is now waving a red flag on.

Jessa and Ben got a shit ton of backlash on the holocaust is the same as abortion posts. It's important to remember that they are just as bad as everyone else, but it's harder to constantly criticize when they aren't currently spreading hate. They're laying low and as of now keeping their hateful opinions to themselves.

They are all differently snarkworthy in my view. Jill gets the worst of it because Derrick is so blatantly and publicly hateful, plus he comes packaged with the "a lot of assumptions are being made" overbearing mother on social media, plus Jill herself is an awkward person which comes across in all her forms of communication. And they got kicked off TLC or according to Derrick, their volunteering came to an end which makes them appear as if they did something way worse.

Don't forget we have:

Josh/Anna - really, not much needs to be said here. But Anna has always come across as fairly lovely and a good and caring Mom and Josh is for the most part keeping out of the public eye so the backlash is lesser now.

Jeremy/Jinger - to me, the worst of the lot because Jeremy thinks he's theocratic Einstein, Jinger supports him and they present an image that makes them look more hip when all it amounts to is putting lipstick on a pig. Very gross.

Joy/Austin - I think these are two Class 1 dimwits in basically every regard, but they are quieter on social media and they at least appear to have a work ethic which makes them least "grifty" of the bunch.

Jessa/Ben - this is all style and not a lot of substance IMO, but it sells well. 

Josiah/Lauren - awkward as hell, something is off about them but we'll need more time to pin it down.

Hilariously I actually like Joe/Kendra the best even though I thought I wouldn't be able to tolerate her with that voice that's like nails on a chalkboard. But now I kind of find her bubbly happiness pretty cute. They seem happy together, they seem fairly modest, not active on social media, she has a much better head on her shoulders re: pregnancy/birthing so far and there is just something fresh there. I'm sure their beliefs are 100% gross but at least I don't have to listen to them.

I wouldn't find is surprising if Michelle blamed Anna for Josh cheating at all.   Plenty of non-fundie or even non-religious mothers blame the daughter-in-law because their own special darling couldn't possible have done something wrong.

2 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Yeah, in that post, the fact that Alyssa is involving her kids in garbage man Dan Webster's campaign for theocracy is waaaay more worthy of criticism than Jill saying lol twice.

I think those girls are not smiling because they know that grandpa Dan wants to take away their rights.

3 hours ago, PigtailHeadband said:

Speaking of Jill's social media game... 

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

#gratefulwifey

She forgot #ireallymeanthis #right #notovercompenstatingatall #iswearimhappy #iswearimhappy #iswearimhappy #jesuslovesthemall 

Sorry that the man of your dreams is Skeletor. 

14 hours ago, kiwi said:

Writing out the lol in full and reading it back, speechless

To be fair, a lot of (younger?) people use lol in this way. John McWhorter (a linguist) calls it an indicator of an emotion. Sometimes it feels like any emotion! https://www.cnn.com/2013/04/30/opinion/mcwhorter-lol/index.html

3 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

Joy/Austin - I think these are two Class 1 dimwits in basically every regard, but they are quieter on social media and they at least appear to have a work ethic which makes them least "grifty" of the bunch.

"class 1 dimwits" had me giggling out loud 

Could y'all stop slandering Skeletor's good name by associating him with Derick? I would argue that his motives are much less vile and his beliefs more tolerant overall. He loves a strong woman, too, Evil-Lyn is almost as powerful as he is, and he's secure enough in his masculinity not to be threatened by her.

10 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

There is a consultation ongoing towards changing this, but who knows if it'll happen. Until then, everyone's basically in a covenant marriage.

Actually the U.K. divorce laws (while absolutely in need of change as they are absurd and no-fault divorce should be a thing already) mean that the courts will accept pretty much anything as “unreasonable behaviour” - basically whatever the reason is that the marriage has broken down would fly (lonely, bored, emotionally abusive etc). While something big like a crime would definitely count, something as small as not doing housework will too!

So covenant marriage divorce grounds are definitely stricter than UK divorce grounds!

#FamilyLawGeek

5 hours ago, PigtailHeadband said:

Speaking of Jill's social media game... 

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

#gratefulwifey

Wait, I'm confused. Does he actually have a job?! I thought he was just going to school. Not that some people don't "just go to school" but they typically don't have stay-at-home-wives and children. 

My husband goes to work between 5 and 6 and works long days. He actually gets paid though. ?

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived