IGNORED

Dullards 63: Law School Participation Trophy

VaSportsMom

14 minutes ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

Yes, but.... What "someone else" is gonna be discussing sex with her 3 year old son? Where specifically do they think her sheltered, inadequately-homeschooled kids are going to hear about this? 

My first thought was WUT? Is she serious? And then hopefully it's not a) new baby or b) kids walking in on them. Gross, sorry. 

It's option c) they have an obsessive political and religious agenda surrounding sexuality and gender norms and are trying to indoctrinate their own children as young as possible + pushing their views on social media and signalling to the others in their group that they're invested in the propaganda.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Same thought here.  Uterus is probably womb, etc. I cannot picture Michelle saying "vulva" or "penis."  Just cannot.  Makes me thing of Peggy Hill when she was going to have to teach a Sex Ed class:  Happenis!!

This reminds me of one of my favorite professors. He studied sexual health and would do sex ed classes in low-resource areas. On the first day of class he talked about how you had to practice saying word a like “penis” in front of the mirror over and over so you could say it without smiling in a room full of teens. “You have to practice saying penis. Penis penis penis penis penis.” 

I really hope Derdick has a professor like that man.

9 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

This reminds me of one of my favorite professors. He studied sexual health and would do sex ed classes in low-resource areas. On the first day of class he talked about how you had to practice saying word a like “penis” in front of the mirror over and over so you could say it without smiling in a room full of teens. “You have to practice saying penis. Penis penis penis penis penis.” 

I really hope Derdick has a professor like that man.

This makes me hope that D gets called to brief one of the First Amendment cases involving sex toy shops & strip clubs in Con Law.  Were he still alive, I would wish my 1L Con Law professor on him, who had argued one of these cases at the (state) Supreme Court, and gleefully told us how he broke out a foot long dildo during his introduction and kept it on the podium throughout his argument.  He then showed off said dildo to the class.  He kept it in his office.  *That* is the kind of teaching D needs. 

2 minutes ago, caitrona said:

This makes me hope that D gets called to brief one of the First Amendment cases involving sex toy shops & strip clubs in Con Law.  Were he still alive, I would wish my 1L Con Law professor on him, who had argued one of these cases at the (state) Supreme Court, and gleefully told us how he broke out a foot long dildo during his introduction and kept it on the podium throughout his argument.  He then showed off said dildo to the class.  He kept it in his office.  *That* is the kind of teaching D needs. 

Oh my I read that too fast and thought it said sex in toy shops and strip clubs. I was like What....:laughing-rollingyellow:

6 minutes ago, caitrona said:

Amazing. I would love for that to happen. What happens if a student refuses to brief a case? He totally would on made up religious grounds.

I had another professor who also studied sexual health, and he said it’s awkward to explain to his parents and their friends that he runs a sex lab :pb_lol:

12 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

dang looking at that second picture Derick and his dad could be twins. 

Nah, his dad is kinda cute in that picture (I’ll see myself to the prayer closet)

My current part-time job is working on a federal grant that is studying a sexual education curriculum. Although I've never been shy about sexual matters, it was torture at first to get up and explain what anal sex was to a group of teenage boys. It has gotten easier, though.

Tangentially related, I started getting tons of internet ads for STD and STI testing and pregnancy testing. I am uh...not in the market for that and hadn't done any Google searches pertaining to those topics. I was totally weirded out until I finally realized that it was picking up on my work e-mails (and perhaps my work conversations? /conspiracy) that were allll about this sex education program.  

14 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Tangentially related, I started getting tons of internet ads for STD and STI testing and pregnancy testing. I am uh...not in the market for that and hadn't done any Google searches pertaining to those topics. I was totally weirded out until I finally realized that it was picking up on my work e-mails (and perhaps my work conversations? /conspiracy) that were allll about this sex education program.  

Yeah probably conversations too. A friend of mine was discussing a former co-worker with a drug problem and then started getting ads on her phone for crack pipes and bongs. The woman who came to train us on color calibration uses and teaches a machine called "isis", and is convinced that's why she gets randomly stopped by the TSA every time she flies (which is almost weekly). Phones are always listening! Which doesn't bother me much. It can enjoy my off key singing in the car. 

I have to say that as fundie as this book is, I'm glad they're being proactive about teaching the boys, so they'll at least have the vocabulary if someone touches them inappropriately. There are far better books out there I'm sure, but it's better than "that's a naughty part, don't touch it!" or completely ignoring the whole issue. 

32 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Phones are always listening! Which doesn't bother me much.

All day long:  You are such a good dog.  Pretty girl!  Who's a pretty girl?  Do you want a snack?

Pretty sure this has someone, somewhere, wishing me to get a life.

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Of all the concerns that a parent of a 1 and 3 YO have to worry about, THIS is what the D's are focused on? Good Lord. How about the fact that their mother has the independence, strength and autonomy of a single celled organism...not an amoeba...it is far more creative and skilled. How about worrying about their speech, safety, health, nutrition, happiness??? How about role modeling hard work, grit, fortitude, perserverence? Bumbling fools, I tell you.

Well, they do have those things to worry about, but... Speaking as the mother of a toddler? I know sooner or later he's going to ask about this stuff, and I want to have an idea of what I'm going to say. In a family that big that keeps having babies, I'm betting Izzy's going to ask where babies come from soon if he hasn't already. It's a question that comes up at some point. I can't blame her for wanting a script or something she can read to him.

Now, I also can't NOT blame her for picking something so bigoted to start from!

About the only good thing about the back of that book, as others have said, is that least it uses the correct anatomical terms judging by the description.

Could a professor fail him if he refused to talk about certain subjects due to his "relgious freedom?"

8 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

CD10541E-0441-4767-8330-363366ED3987.jpeg.d5459b2007661edf181004fbd4d51784.jpeg

Can we talk about the fact that one of the authors is provost and professor ob psychology at Wheaton College? That is actually a really good (if Christian) college. I can't believe they would employ someone who writes such utter bullshit books. I can only imagine what he teaches his psychology students... :dislike:

Which parts of the book are bullshit? If it's the anti-gay stuff, Wheaton College has anti-gay policies so I'm sure they would agree with that part of the book. And the rest of the book sounds okay so I'm not sure what Wheaton would have a problem with.

24 minutes ago, TeaELSee said:

Wheaton college is a good college?  They suspended a professor for wearing a hijab.

No thanks.

I didn't say I agree with their politics. At all. But it's generally a well-regarded and pretty highly-ranked school.

19 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Which parts of the book are bullshit? If it's the anti-gay stuff, Wheaton College has anti-gay policies so I'm sure they would agree with that part of the book. And the rest of the book sounds okay so I'm not sure what Wheaton would have a problem with. 

Pretty much everything except for the "teaching kids the proper words for body parts" part, frankly. I don't know, I guess I just expect better of institutions of higher learning. But I'm not American, and so the fact that a college can teach bullshit like that and still be well-regarded is kind of beyond me.

3 minutes ago, JillyO said:

I didn't say I agree with their politics. At all. But it's generally a well-regarded and pretty highly-ranked school.

Pretty much everything except for the "teaching kids the proper words for body parts" part, frankly. I don't know, I guess I just expect better of institutions of higher learning. But I'm not American, and so the fact that a college can teach bullshit like that and still be well-regarded is kind of beyond me.

It's not being taught by the college, it's just written by people who happen to work there, but I'm still not seeing what would be objectionable to Wheaton College.

Just now, Rachel333 said:

It's not being taught by the college, it's just written by people who happen to work there, but I'm still not seeing what would be objectionable to Wheaton College.

I didn't mean that the book was being taught to Wheaton students, obviously. I would, however, strongly object to your assessment that Stan Jones just "happens to work" there. As a scientist, the things you publish are the things you will be judged on.

And I'm not saying he should be fired for writing the book or anything. I just think the book looks like complete drivel, and so I find it sad that a professor of psychology would write such bullshit. It would seem to me that someone of his education level should be able to come up with a better take on teaching children about sex than "why God wants each baby to have both a mommy and a daddy."

But I already conceded that religious colleges like that are simply completely foreign to me, and I actually have no idea how this book may or may not be perceived by his colleagues and students there. Judging by the fact that you seem to find this completely normal, my guess is that it would not be seen as negative. Which I find extremely sad, but whatever. I'll stop boring people with this issue now.

I'm wondering how Derick is adjusting. It must have been a bit of a shock to go from Church School to Secular School literally overnight (right? I think it was a day difference)

Also I'm glad at least the boys appear to be being taught Kroger names for body parts.

4 minutes ago, JillyO said:

I didn't mean that the book was being taught to Wheaton students, obviously. I would, however, strongly object to your assessment that Stan Jones just "happens to work" there. As a scientist, the things you publish are the things you will be judged on.

And I'm not saying he should be fired for writing the book or anything. I just think the book looks like complete drivel, and so I find it sad that a professor of psychology would write such bullshit. It would seem to me that someone of his education level should be able to come up with a better take on teaching children about sex than "why God wants each baby to have both a mommy and a daddy."

But I already conceded that religious colleges like that are simply completely foreign to me, and I actually have no idea how this book may or may not be perceived by his colleagues and students there. Judging by the fact that you seem to find this completely normal, my guess is that it would not be seen as negative. Which I find extremely sad, but whatever. I'll stop boring people with this issue now.

I'm honestly just confused by what you mean. It seems like a normal* religious book aimed at children and I have absolutely no idea what part of it you think would be objectionable to a conservative religious college. The worst part of it is the part about God wanting each baby to have two, opposite-sex parents, but that is something that Wheaton also teaches.

*Yes, homophobia is normal in that kind of environment, and I can't imagine that's news. I don't know why it seems like you're putting that on me.

6 hours ago, caitrona said:

I hope that in group projects and study groups, he gets paired with women who will have precisely none of his shit and quickly disabuse him of the notion that being in the same room as an unyoked/unchaperoned woman means he's on the highway to Tuna Town (because A, women are perfectly capable of professional relationships and aren't just sex objects, and B, most women have better taste than Jill). 

What I really wanna see is if Derrick ever gets belligerent in their law school class Facebook group. At my school we had a decent amount of drama go down on our class group. 

15 hours ago, imokit said:

At least they're trying.

And it talks about proper names for body parts.

For me that's a big deal.  Small children being able to say penis, vagina etc especially if something happens.

When I was a junior in college, a poor little frosh in our dorm was lonely,  terrified and not fitting in so my roommate and I adopted her. She had evangelical parents who had sheltered her to the point that she went away to a not very religious campus (college was loosely affiliated with the Presbyterian Church USA) without even knowing the biological aspects of sex. She literally did not know that there was a penis or that it went into a vagina. As a child and even as a teen, they had made sure she never even saw a male infant without a diaper. They only let her babysit female children. They pulled her out of every single class or presentation in school that dealt with sex and sexuality including basic high school biology's reproduction unit. 

My roommate and I explained the biology of sex to her when we had to explain to her why exactly one of the campus man-whores (who liked to prey on frosh girls who were too dumb to know what he was up to) had invited her to sneak into his dorm room after regular hours when his roommate was going to be gone for the weekend. (After hours was basically just overnight on our campus--1 a.m to 7 a.m on weekends and midnight to 6 a.m on weekdays). Basically, all this poor girl knew at 18 years old, sent away from home to college, was that there was something that a man and woman do to make a baby. But she had been told it wasn't appropriate to talk about before being married and no one did it until they were married and wanted a baby. They had even managed to scare her into leaving a room and telling them if other kids talked about it at all. So we also had to explain that sex is not just for making babies, what homosexuality was, how periods are related to pregnancy and more. It was like we were raising a child from age 4--puberty. 

ETA: Her parents eventually found out who told her all of this and hated us forever and complained to the dorm counselor. We were not punished and their precious little innocent daughter still came to ask us her questions. 

So, yes, the book may have Christian theological positions many of us disagree with here, but at least their kids are not being sheltered from that basic knowledge. 

6 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I hope that in group projects and study groups, he gets paired with women who will have precisely none of his shit and quickly disabuse him of the notion that being in the same room as an unyoked/unchaperoned woman means he's on the highway to Tuna Town (because A, women are perfectly capable of professional relationships and aren't just sex objects, and B, most women have better taste than Jill). 

I have never heard this phrase before, but I'm filing it away. Masterful. 

I am not going to fault Jill for the idea of trying to talk to her kids about sex early. Let’s not forget she is the victim of sexual assault from a young age and she herself was never given help to try and heal from it. As others have said, giving kids the vocabulary to talk about what may be happening to them can be an important tool. 

That said, of course she had to pick the homophobic “Christian” book that matches her worldview. God forbid she steps out of her bubble. 

@louisa05,  your story about the extremely sheltered girl who didn't know one things about sex makes me think of my husband's great-aunt in England.  She got pregnant and swore she didn't know how it happened.  That may have been the case since she was kept pretty ignorant of sex as an adolescent.  She had a daughter whom she raised as a single mother.  When her daughter became a mother, one of her sons was the spit-and-image of the village gigolo 60 years earlier.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived