IGNORED

Seewalds 35: Silence is Golden

VaSportsMom

21 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

Omg, I was not prepared for their taste or texture. Trying to broaden my horizons...blech, no, no, no...never again. Now a Goo-Goo Cluster and Moon Pies are things I can get behind.

I love, love, love Moon Pies. So trashy, so delicious. I'd rather have a Moon Pie paired with an RC soda than champagne and caviar. 

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've picked my family's brain, and this is what I came up with. At my Ohio high school, the mothers of the football players got mums for homecoming, I think it was. It was just a white, puffy mum, smaller than the flower in the picture, and without the streamers. (I think it was homecoming, I don't think it was parents' night. My sister remembered it was homecoming, too.)

21 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I love, love, love Moon Pies. So trashy, so delicious. I'd rather have a Moon Pie paired with an RC soda than champagne and caviar. 

I had to Google this. It looks like a Wagon Wheel, at least that's what we call them in Canada. I haven't had one of those things in over 30 years; I don't know if they even sell them here anymore. Good memories of opening my lunch box at school and finding one tucked inside every once in a while.

6 minutes ago, Playagirl said:

I had to Google this. It looks like a Wagon Wheel, at least that's what we call them in Canada. I haven't had one of those things in over 30 years; I don't know if they even sell them here anymore. Good memories of opening my lunch box at school and finding one tucked inside every once in a while.

They do still sell them. I was doing with my mom today and she bought two boxes ?

53 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

an RC soda

Wow - that took me back about 40 years.  Do they still make those?

I can't even remember what it tastes like - just that it was my mom's preferred cola on the rare occasion she drank pop.

I've never had a moon pie, but google showed me they look yummy. 

Those school colors look like Westside. lol

And the last time I went to homecoming nobody in MY neark high school had any such thing (in 2010). 

RC Cola was way cheaper than Coke when I was a kid so that's the brand my parents would buy on the rare occasion that pop made it's way into our house. 

30 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I can't even remember what it tastes like - just that it was my mom's preferred cola on the rare occasion she drank pop.

I've never had a moon pie, but google showed me they look yummy. 

Wagon wheels were sublime bliss when I was a kid. I assume if I tried one now I'd be vastly disappointed as it probably wouldn't measure up to my memory of it.

16 minutes ago, Playagirl said:

RC Cola was way cheaper than Coke when I was a kid so that's the brand my parents would buy on the rare occasion that pop made it's way into our house. 

Wagon wheels were sublime bliss when I was a kid. I assume if I tried one now I'd be vastly disappointed as it probably wouldn't measure up to my memory of it.

Ha - My mom was frugal so that's probably why.  My dad was a Pepsi man.  (Steve Maxwell would have called it his idol, but not to his face!) 

And yeah, that happened to me with Razzles.  When I was a kid the "it's a candy!  it's a gum!" was a Sunday morning ritual, my dad would go to the 7-11 buy the Sunday papers, a carton of ciggarettes, and packet of Razzles for me.  I loved them, one of the main tastes of childhood for me.

When I saw them a few years back was so excited and bought the kids each a pack and one for me.  Huge disappointment :(

4 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

This is exactly why I think biblical literalists are ridiculous. There is zero chance you could translate an ancient book word for word and agree on a common meanings.

Such a good point! 

I sometimes think I’d like to read the bible just to pick out quotes that would apply to things I believe in but I don’t have any argumentative christians in my life to use it against so I always opt to read something else. 

Ok friends across the pond, do they still have sherbet daps with a licorice straw? Heaven.

2 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Those school colors look like Westside. lol

And the last time I went to homecoming nobody in MY neark high school had any such thing (in 2010). 

No, but they played Westside last week. When I went back to check that, there was another photo. This one’s really something.

3924D9DF-9D41-4114-A8E3-C7F7095C14C0.jpeg

11 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

No, but they played Westside last week. When I went back to check that, there was another photo. This one’s really something.

3924D9DF-9D41-4114-A8E3-C7F7095C14C0.jpeg

Betting you BIG money we know people in common. Some of my ex-in-laws live in Pokey. lol

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Betting you BIG money we know people in common. Some of my ex-in-laws live in Pokey. lol

I’m just related to them; I don’t actually know them. I haven’t been to NE Ark since my grandfather died in 1991. One second cousin friended me on FB and shares a lot. I’d love to ask for the specifics about the constant parade of kids on her feed - different fathers? Stepkids? Relatives? Friends? - but as “family,” I’m embarrassed to ask. Anyway, there sure are a lot of them running around there, so I definitely could be related to your ex.

4 hours ago, Playagirl said:

We talking half moon cookies? Chocolate frosting on one side, white on the other half? (Grew up in central NY)...

1 minute ago, Mlissmartin said:

We talking half moon cookies? Chocolate frosting on one side, white on the other half? (Grew up in central NY)...

Half moon cookies and moon pies are two totally different things. :)

Just now, SapphireSlytherin said:

Half moon cookies and moon pies are two totally different things. :)

I checked Google after asking, next time I'll Google first!

We have a hip Oregon brewchain place that has chosen RC instead of Coke or Pepsi. It’s weird. “I’ll have a Diet Coke.”  “Will Diet RC be ok?” “Oh yeah right. If I must.”

RC Cola is still popular in Kansas City, or at least, it was when I lived there about six years ago. I regularly found myself being asked if RC was okay when I’d ordered a Pepsi, and I was always thrilled to say yes. ??

10 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Ok friends across the pond, do they still have sherbet daps with a licorice straw? Heaven.

Yes, we do.  I never like them, though, but a couple of my kids do.  I'm an Extra Strong Mint kind of girl.

9 hours ago, Mlissmartin said:

Half Moon Cookies Rule !  Hemstroughts were the best !  Drooling just thinking about them. 

16 hours ago, Playagirl said:

Wagon Wheels in the lunch box were the best thing ever! I haven't had one in a while, but I also doubt that they would be as great. Mine were always slightly crushed, but that didn't matter.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived