IGNORED

Seewalds 35: Silence is Golden

VaSportsMom

I love you @cascarones and I want to believe that all the mums are for everyone. But my alienated high school self feels soooo glad that I did not have to deal with this particular tradition. 

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

I absolutely adore Jennifer Ehle as Lizzy.

Me too!  She was much more like how I had always pictured Lizzy.

Jennifer Ehle / Colin Firth pride and prejudice is the best one. I really didn't like Mr Darcy from the Keira knightley one at all. My mom really hates the scene form the Keira Knightley one where Lady Catherine comes to Longbourn in the middle of the night because "a women of that stature would not be going anywhere in the middle of the night!"

With Kiera Knightly as Lizzie, I kept waiting for her to pull a sword on Mrs. Bennett, while Captain Jack Sparrow came in and walked across the table, and Will Turner ushered her out. :P

My friend and I visited Lyme Park (the set of Pemberly from the Jennifer Ehle/Colin Firth P&P) and there are some ridiculous photos of 18 year old me pretending to be a fancy member of the English aristocracy a la Mr. Darcy.

That being said, Lyme Park is worth a visit if you're ever in the area.  The grounds are exquisite! 

I like both Lizzies and think they were perfect for their audience (BBC miniseries) and wide release. I saw the KK version first, so it's the main one I think of, I watched the other due to Bridget Jones (a book I will always love because it made me laugh while sitting hospice). But Colin Firth, always Colin Firth. 

I do prefer Rosamund Pike's Jane, I think she did a more subtle job with a lot of it being in her stillness and looking away. I'm also fond of Donald Sutherland, so he's my Mr.Bennett. I just watched Persuasion the other night and will probably just go through them all like a dorkess.

19 hours ago, sleepy_doggos said:

Good point. I wasn't a part of VF in any way, but in reading on FJ those VF ideas referenced Jane Austen as the historian of an idyllic era.

Which is super bizarre; a lot of fundies and ethnonationalists read a few Austen novels and start preaching that Regency England was the ~IDEAL CHRISTIAN SOCIETY~ as if Mary Wollstonecraft and Mary Hays were not standing right there doing their thing

I'm a born & bred Texan and as a teenaged girl, mums at homecoming are just everything.  I was an 80's teenager, so our mums hadn't quite gotten to the massive size they are now.  You didn't have to hang it around your neck, but they were still going to destroy whatever you wore them on.   Sometimes the double mums would be handheld like a wedding bouquet.   Ours didn't have the teddy bear in the middle of the flower yet, it was just glittery letters or the school mascot, but still ribbons and trinkets out the ass.  The hallways would sound like a literal herd of cows with all the cowbells hanging from ribbons, clanking as we walked.  Garters for the boys were just starting to make an appearance my Jr & Sr years.  They also weren't anywhere near the size they are now. 

Can I say that I was incredibly disappointed when I found out that Homecoming mums weren't a thing in Georgia.  I was so looking forward to making a mum for whatever girl my son took to homecoming.  All the  years of being crafty & my unnatural love of glitter without the payoff of getting to make one of those gawd awful massive things.   I still consider it one of the most jarring culture shock moments of moving from Texas to Georgia.   Right up there with not having brisket at a bbq.  

I grew up in Arkansas. We had mums, but they were single spider mums with a pipe-cleaner, in my school's main color, bent into the shape of the letter of my town (also the name of my high school) in the middle, with two short (2-3") ribbons in school colors. Period.

The Texas mums are mind boggling to me.

And in MY part of Arkansas, BBQ is what you eat. It's a cook-out, and the meat is always ALWAYS pork. And the hot sauce is vinegar-based. Not sweet. Not tomato-y. 

12 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I grew up in Arkansas. We had mums, but they were single spider mums with a pipe-cleaner, in my school's main color, bent into the shape of the letter of my town (also the name of my high school) in the middle, with two short (2-3") ribbons in school colors. Period.

The Texas mums are mind boggling to me.

And in MY part of Arkansas, BBQ is what you eat. It's a cook-out, and the meat is always ALWAYS pork. And the hot sauce is vinegar-based. Not sweet. Not tomato-y. 

In Georgia it's all pork.   As a Texan, this does not compute in my brain.  lol   I'm used to it always being beef.  I just can't with the vinegar based bbq sauces either.  I want a sweet tomato & molasses based sauce.   Another thing in Georgia that I can't wrap my head around is what the hell is Brunswick stew and why does it always taste horrible?   Don't even get me started on boiled peanuts. 

Moving to Georgia taught me that the South isn't the same from state to state and that it's possible that Texas isn't really "the South", it's just Texas. 

Yeah. Texas is its own self. It's NOT Southern, even if Southern Living includes it. lol

Boiled peanuts are gross (they're a thing in Louisiana, too - where I've also lived). 

And sweet bbq sauce turns my stomach.

As for Brunswick stew, I'm off to Google...

In CA we BBQ/grill everything- all meats, chicken, fish, tofu.veggies, pizza, fruits- year round. And the sauce/marinade is whatever you choose to make on that particular day. 

8 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

In CA we BBQ/grill everything- all meats, chicken, fish, tofu.veggies, pizza, fruits- year round. And the sauce/marinade is whatever you choose to make on that particular day. 

Yall are WEIRD. lol

:)

7 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

God I hate pork. lol. :P

You ain't right, bless your heart... lol

9 hours ago, cascarones said:

I like both Lizzies and think they were perfect for their audience (BBC miniseries) and wide release. I saw the KK version first, so it's the main one I think of, I watched the other due to Bridget Jones (a book I will always love because it made me laugh while sitting hospice). But Colin Firth, always Colin Firth. 

I do prefer Rosamund Pike's Jane, I think she did a more subtle job with a lot of it being in her stillness and looking away. I'm also fond of Donald Sutherland, so he's my Mr.Bennett. I just watched Persuasion the other night and will probably just go through them all like a dorkess.

Which version of Persuasion did you watch?

I kind of have fallen hard for Rupert Penry-Jones as Captain Wentworth. And this 2007er version has beautiful music. I tried to find the piano music that plays when she reads his letter but it seems it was never a complete composition.

5 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Which version of Persuasion did you watch?

I have the 2007 version on DVD, because it's got Anthony Head in it and because of Giles on Buffy, he will always be my naughty crush.

I’m from Georgia. I remember attending a family reunion in Montana and everyone was talking about the big BBQ we were going to have on Saturday night. I was getting really excited because I love BBQ. I was shocked and disappointed when they put hotdogs on the grill. I remember thinking to myself “this is a cookout, not a BBQ.” 

1 hour ago, Knight of Ni said:

I’m from Georgia. I remember attending a family reunion in Montana and everyone was talking about the big BBQ we were going to have on Saturday night. I was getting really excited because I love BBQ. I was shocked and disappointed when they put hotdogs on the grill. I remember thinking to myself “this is a cookout, not a BBQ.” 

I’m starting to think that when people in the South ( and maybe the mid-west?) say BBQ it means something more specific than the rest of the US? And maybe more— intense? culturally important?  Kind of like every state has high school football - but it might be more of a super big thing ? 

In the South, BBQ is a food (it's pork in my area, but may be beef in others).

A cookout is an event/happening/activity, at which one makes the BBQ. It may also be phrased as "I'm going to grill out" or "We're having a cookout and yall should come."

There's also another activity - smoking - that is not referred to as a cookout or grilling out. And in my neck-o-the-woods, it's called "smoking a butt."

Which is super bizarre; a lot of fundies and ethnonationalists read a few Austen novels and start preaching that Regency England was the ~IDEAL CHRISTIAN SOCIETY~ as if Mary Wollstonecraft and Mary Hays were not standing right there doing their thing
And totally ignores - or more likely agrees with - rampant prostitution, no upward mobility, child labor, alcoholism (is this the gin era?), opium addiction... Have I missed anything?

How could I miss the pride & prejudice discussion! Damn work! Damn time difference! I love the Colin Firth version. We watched it in school when we had to read p&p in our english class. And I bought the DVD when it was available in Germany. I. Have. A. Huge. Crush. On. Colin Firth. And I am no longer ashamed. Now all I want to do is cancel my last three clients, go home and watch that series, surrounded by candle light. Having a cheesy smile in my face and sigh endlessly (I will fastforward the Mr. Collins scenes).

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

When did Jana get a dog? Has that been a thing for a while and I just missed it?

Yes, Willow has been appearing for a while. I remember a while back Jessa was being asked if they got a dog. Seems like Willow is specifically Jana's dog and not just a pet of the TTH.

I must be the only Non Jane Austen lover on this board. I feel so lonely...

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived