IGNORED

Seewalds 35: Silence is Golden

VaSportsMom

8 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I must be the only Non Jane Austen lover on this board. I feel so lonely...

Nah I'm with you!!

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Shadoewolf said:

Nah I'm with you!!

I don't dislike Austen but I read them back in high school/ college (and saw the movies once each most likely) which was a long time ago so I only vaguely remember the details.

In my neck of the woods BBQ is both a noun and a verb. However, they are very specific. BBQ as a verb means the cooking process to make BBQ. However the process is strictly reserved for smoking. If it’s not smoked it’s not considered BBQ. And yes BBQ is an important part of culture in many parts of America. Mostly in the South and Midwest and each region has a different way to make it. However, almost universally from my experience, it must be smoked to be considered BBQ. 

2 hours ago, sleepy_doggos said:
17 hours ago, nickelodeon said:
Which is super bizarre; a lot of fundies and ethnonationalists read a few Austen novels and start preaching that Regency England was the ~IDEAL CHRISTIAN SOCIETY~ as if Mary Wollstonecraft and Mary Hays were not standing right there doing their thing

And totally ignores - or more likely agrees with - rampant prostitution, no upward mobility, child labor, alcoholism (is this the gin era?), opium addiction... Have I missed anything?

Lord Byron? :D 

Awww. I really like Austen. (I'm actually re-reading Emma right now.) So I was happy to hear Ben mention it. I wonder is Austen is considered "fundie-proof"? I would certainly see it as a safe-read from my heathen-secular POV. But I never know what stuff fundies consider defrauding. :confusion-shrug:

And of course, I'm adding my two cents to the Austen and P&P movie-series adaptation discussion. I certainly agree the 1995 BBC mini-series is the superior adaptation and as not be surpassed. But I don't dislike the Keira Knightley movie either. The 1995 series for ne has the strongest casting for both Lizzie and Darcy. Their acting is just flawless. The fact that it was a series also allowed it to be more true to the book. The only part in which the movie is superior for me the cinematography. Joe Wright really has an eye for simply beautiful scenes. I felt that in the movie, there was lot of nature shots, animals on screen, something more organic. And I agree Rosamund Pike was a perfect Jane. So I'm pretty consensual on both productions. Haha.

2 hours ago, sleepy_doggos said:
17 hours ago, nickelodeon said:
Which is super bizarre; a lot of fundies and ethnonationalists read a few Austen novels and start preaching that Regency England was the ~IDEAL CHRISTIAN SOCIETY~ as if Mary Wollstonecraft and Mary Hays were not standing right there doing their thing

Read more  

And totally ignores - or more likely agrees with - rampant prostitution, no upward mobility, child labor, alcoholism (is this the gin era?), opium addiction... Have I missed anything?

That's because Austen wrote about the gentry and upper class, targeted for readers of the same social status. Of course fundies don't have the critical thinking to realize that.

As I said in my previous comment. I love Austen. For me it is a light read, but with an interesting POV on the life of women of the gentry in the era. I'm able to realize it is only one part of society that is represented, which I'm sure fundies and white nationalist don't even think would be possible. These groups often idealize the past as being more "christian" or a time where "women were ladies and men were gentlemen". Which only prooves their lack of historical comprehension (and/or denial ?).

2 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Nah I'm with you!!

Count me in. Cliffs notes in HS and never read it again...don't even own a copy. 

4 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Nah I'm with you!!

Me too. I do like the movies, a lot, but I find Pride and Prejudice, the book, to be insufferable. What miserable lives they lead. :) 

7 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

I’m starting to think that when people in the South ( and maybe the mid-west?) say BBQ it means something more specific than the rest of the US? And maybe more— intense? culturally important?  Kind of like every state has high school football - but it might be more of a super big thing ? 

“A barbecue” in most of the US means a party that involves cooking outdoors. That annoys southerners, who call a party where you grill hamburgers and hotdogs a “cookout.” For southerners, barbecue means slow-smoked meats. There are significant regional variations on meats and sauces. Although you might serve barbecue at a party, barbecue as a social event isn’t really a thing, at least in most places.

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

There are significant regional variations on meats and sauces.

Sigh.....my mouth is watering just thinking about South Carolina barbecue.

23 hours ago, Southern Unicorn said:

Don't even get me started on boiled peanuts

Omg, I was not prepared for their taste or texture. Trying to broaden my horizons...blech, no, no, no...never again. Now a Goo-Goo Cluster and Moon Pies are things I can get behind.

4 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

“A barbecue” in most of the US means a party that involves cooking outdoors. That annoys southerners, who call a party where you grill hamburgers and hotdogs a “cookout.” For southerners, barbecue means slow-smoked meats. There are significant regional variations on meats and sauces. Although you might serve barbecue at a party, barbecue as a social event isn’t really a thing, at least in most places.

Thanks for the explanation. I had no idea! 

11 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

I must be the only Non Jane Austen lover on this board. I feel so lonely...

No i agree she's drawn out, wordy, and her books have nothing profound about them in my opinion.  They're typical books of the era. 

21 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Which version of Persuasion did you watch?

I kind of have fallen hard for Rupert Penry-Jones as Captain Wentworth. And this 2007er version has beautiful music. I tried to find the piano music that plays when she reads his letter but it seems it was never a complete composition.

I fell for Rupert Penry-Jones when he was Thomas Hamilton in Black Sails. I'll have to watch his Captain Wentworth.

Smoked meat or containing bbq sauce person here! You wouldn't say you'd sautéed the filet if you'd stuck it under the broiler! ;) Granted I've never lived in the NE US or spent much time there, but what I have seen visiting they will at least use the term grilling" or "grilled" unlike in California where people tell me they are barbecuing hamburgers and salmon. I still show up and am surprised when it is a grilled dill salmon and grilled turkey burgers. Some day I will learn! Was talking with a native Californian about this a few weeks ago. She has been taking classes at a local culinary school and is suddenly on a crusade to change the way Californians use the terms. I laughed and wished her luck. All the cooking shows on tv haven't succeeded in uniting the country but maybe she'll have better luck. :) 

I like JA for light reading. Sometimes you just want somehing light, feel good, and somewhat entertaining to read. I mean, Clueless isn't a society changing, deep movie, but I still watch it on occasion and enjoy it. Same thing with JA's books for me. 

On 10/4/2018 at 6:11 PM, Southern Unicorn said:

Another thing in Georgia that I can't wrap my head around is what the hell is Brunswick stew and why does it always taste horrible?  

Everyone's Brunswick stew is different so don't count them all out! I loved the stuff in Central NC but hated it in SC. Haven't risked ever trying it anywhere else. What kills me about the pork/beef thing is I can't eat pork any more and chicken and turkey just aren't as good cooked low and slow so when I'm in pork country it can be a let down. Never an issue where's there's a good brisket!  Every sauce has a time and a place and sometimes that meat is just too perfect to be ruined by any of it!

I'll also point out BBQ isn't just about meat, until for health reasons my diet changed, I was a very happy vegetarian even at BBQs. Not just veggie burgers, but barbecue beans, grilled veggies, charred/smoked and sauced tofu (if I was involved in menu making). 

While meat and style changes, I think the side offerings are fairly standard across the US for barbecues and cookouts. There's usually corn, some sort of potato or pasta salad, fruit like watermelon, some sort of bread or tortillas, chips or crisps, a dessert offering.

For the Austen fans, I'm photographing all my stuff pre move in case something goes wrong. My copy is under the spoiler, for the non Austen fans my cat helper evens up the rank for you ?

Spoiler

20181006_051013.thumb.jpg.2394667c37f32ceee51123ee89351d06.jpg

On 9/21/2018 at 1:17 AM, Iamtheway said:

Miniway is bilingual and he started speaking pretty early. In the beginning he mixed languages a lot and it was sometimes hard for others to understand him. 

Now he switches pretty easily depending on if he’s talking to me or his dad. He also translates between us even though it should be obvious to him that we both know both Swedish and English. I kind of wish we could be teaching him more languages now when he’s little and just soaks it up. 

Sounds like an excellent way to run a business. Get angry when your customers, your paying customers, don’t believe in Jesus in the exact same way you do. :pb_rollseyes:

I am juuuuusssstttt catching back up from a having baby break and I had to comment/love on this. We are also a bilingual family. Our older son is now 14, but when he also did the translating thing between, at the dinner table, because we were talking to each other...and he seemed to think we didn't know what the other was saying. It was so cute.

He also talked rather late, around three. I have a video from Easter that year where you can only understand a word or too of what he was saying and it was up for grabs which language it was (English or German), but by Christmas that year in another video he is recounting everything that happened (in detail) that day in both languages with out mixing. It is a hard road at first and can be lonely if you don't know any other bilingual families, but it is so worth it. He is now totally fluent and can switch in the middle of a sentence like nothing happened. He even had a smooth go of our (temporary) move to an English speaking country and switching to an all English speaking school. Just a bit of hope for anyone starting out (for reference, we did one parent one language method). I do have to add: he was very shy and only barely talking when he started German kindergarten and his teacher felt it was her place to tell me that should stop speaking English to him as it was hindering his German and learning to talk at all. I was so knocked down in my confidence after that, but I ignored her because the worst thing you can do is just change at that point and confuse the kid more and I am glad I did. Haters gonna hate.

Also re: Israel speaking. Since he was in a Spanish speaking country for a good chuck of time in the language acquiring years, it is possible that he absorbed a lot (if he was actually around any other people, I don't know that). Suddenly loosing that influence could have lead to some confusion and as a result he is catching up again while sadly loosing the Spanish he may have had. I am not an expert or anything, just what I have read in the course of raising a bilingual child. YMMV

On 9/29/2018 at 8:53 PM, Shadoewolf said:

I still carry my 10 year old, 70lb son upstairs to his room when he falls asleep on the couch. Mind you his head comes just under my nose. But good solid sleep is such a rarity for him that I'll deal with the aftermath for the few times it happens. 

I did this too, until he was too tall for me to carry (we did not have stairs) about 12 (we are a short family). It was just the two of us and he was my only baby. He was good and mature all the time so I saw no issue giving him that extra comfort. I think he would be mortified if anyone knew now though. I once read the saddest thing ever: One day your parents put you down and never picked you up again. He must have been about 6 years old at the time and I was determined to pick him up as long as I could. I was sad when I set him down for the last time. On the bright side he can almost pick me up, so there is that.

8 hours ago, ItsMeY'all said:

like JA for light reading. Sometimes you just want somehing light, feel good, and somewhat entertaining to read. I mean, Clueless isn't a society changing, deep movie, but I still watch it on occasion and enjoy it. Same thing with JA's books for me. 

Clueless is an adaptation of Jane Austen’s Emma. Maybe that was your point?

On 10/4/2018 at 8:22 PM, Southern Unicorn said:

I'm a born & bred Texan and as a teenaged girl, mums at homecoming are just everything.  I was an 80's teenager, so our mums hadn't quite gotten to the massive size they are now. 

I was in HS in Texas in the 80s as well.  I thought the mums were big then---I had no idea how they had grown now!  (I moved away in 1990.)   Brings back a lot of memories, though.

Also agree with you about Texas beef BBQ (and I'm a vegetarian!!!)

11 hours ago, ItsMeY'all said:

Smoked meat or containing bbq sauce person here! You wouldn't say you'd sautéed the filet if you'd stuck it under the broiler! ;) Granted I've never lived in the NE US or spent much time there, but what I have seen visiting they will at least use the term grilling" or "grilled" unlike in California where people tell me they are barbecuing hamburgers and salmon. I still show up and am surprised when it is a grilled dill salmon and grilled turkey burgers. Some day I will learn! Was talking with a native Californian about this a few weeks ago. She has been taking classes at a local culinary school and is suddenly on a crusade to change the way Californians use the terms. I laughed and wished her luck. All the cooking shows on tv haven't succeeded in uniting the country but maybe she'll have better luck. :) 

I like JA for light reading. Sometimes you just want somehing light, feel good, and somewhat entertaining to read. I mean, Clueless isn't a society changing, deep movie, but I still watch it on occasion and enjoy it. Same thing with JA's books for me. 

Native Californian here, and I rarely hear the term grill, and when I do it’s mostly been to describe using a George Foreman Indoor Grill ( or one in-law who described getting a new gas grill - but I think his family came from somewhere else ) . 99% of the time bbq = “food cooked outside” and/or  “food with bbq sauce on it” and/or “social gathering that includes food cooked outside” .

This is exactly why I think biblical literalists are ridiculous. There is zero chance you could translate an ancient book word for word and agree on a common meanings.

I think someone said earlier that the plants in the photo didn’t look like chrysanthemums to them. That’s because they’re not in bloom. Right now they look like green blobs.  

And I saw this photo of a high school student in northeast Arkansas with her mum, so apparently the tradition has spread that far. She’s distantly related to my grandmother, who would have given that thing some serious side-eye. 

F449B1CD-4F26-4CA7-9E16-72FF17D9139F.jpeg

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I think someone said earlier that the plants in the photo didn’t look like chrysanthemums to them. That’s because they’re not in bloom. Right now they look like green blobs.  

And I saw this photo of a high school student in northeast Arkansas with her mum, so apparently the tradition has spread that far. She’s distantly related to my grandmother, who would have given that thing some serious side-eye. 

F449B1CD-4F26-4CA7-9E16-72FF17D9139F.jpeg

What?? NE Arkansas? oh if this becomes a thing and get to central AR my mom is going to be so disappointed. She is a major crafty person and would have LIVED for making these for my sister and me in HS. I really wish they had been a thing, so cool looking!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived