IGNORED

Lori Alexander 50: Making an Idol of Herself

32 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

From the blog brag-a-thon on how to live on $0. It's idiocy like this that makes me so angry that Lori preaches living on one income no matter what (bolding mine):

Here's my thing- If they were truly broke, he wouldn't have had the front money to buy his "team" breakfast.  I've seem people post on Lori's blog that didn't know where THEIR dinner was coming from, much less someone else's dinner.  THAT is the kind of poverty Lori is desperately trying to drive her readers to.  And do you know why she does it?  Because she likes to see other people down, that's why.

Also, if they didn't have rent money, spending money on fast food for a large group of people was really irresponsible.  Family first, and all that.

Finally, I found Cassi's reply to today's post interesting.  She didn't mention help from Ken and Lori, but Lori's definitely hinted at it before. That's one way to make a single income stretch.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, AuntKrazy said:

There's been a lot of mentions of ice cream here recently - and I wondered if anyone else here has heard of the new trend of making to order ice cream on the spot and freezing it with nitrogen?  (or is that only a fancy urban trend?) - they mix it to order, so you get a custom creation (i.e. cardamom almond milk low sugar with white chocolate chips).

We have company visiting us, and we're planning on going to out try this new fangled ice cream experience tonight. . . 

There is a company here that does that!  It's called Churn and Burn (they sell coffee, too).

Unlimited travel budget? Well today ... 

A visiting pass to Heaven. My dad died last night. And although I moved heaven and earth to try to get there to say goodbye, I didn't make it.

My heart hurts. Badly. 

Just now, ChickenettiLuvr said:

A visiting pass to Heaven. My dad died last night. And although I moved heaven and earth to try to get there to say goodbye, I didn't make it.

My heart hurts. Badly. 

I'm so sorry for your loss @ChickenettiLuvr :group-hug:

22 hours ago, Jessesgirl25 said:

I have some FU’s, something like 113 of them, lol! I’m almost neck and neck between downvotes and FU’s, haha! 

This is pretty cool. Glad everything did get settled because it’s nice to be here. Being a SAHM of 4 doesn’t leave much room for a social life so this is as close as it gets! Not complaining though, love being with the kiddos. 

Not from Louisiana, Ohio as @Curious mentioned. I really want to go there and go gator hunting with Troy though! If you’ve never watched Swamp People you’ll have no idea who I am talking about though, lol. 

Welcome, I don't think I said that yet.  It's actually an interesting place here. How old are your kiddos?  We would have loved more than one, but one was all we were able to have.

4 minutes ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

My heart hurts. Badly. 

I’m so sorry for your loss. I know that loss. I’m sending you so many hugs and so much love. 

21 hours ago, Beermeet said:

I do watch!  Not sure I'd hunt em but I'll eat them!  Delicious. I want to try noodling.  With the catfish, you know?  I'd be so proud of myself!  

I am not afraid of snakes, but I would be afraid to noodle a catfish because I've heard stories about still living fish that have been eaten by the catfish and people getting bitten by them.  I'm not normally squeamish or scared of much at all (Texan woman and red hair here) but I don't think I'd want to risk that!

@ChickenettiLuvr, sending you hugs. I didn’t get to the hospital in time when my dad passed, either, but just remember how much you loved each other. :my_heart:

15 minutes ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

My heart hurts. Badly. 

I'm so sorry to hear that. Sending you and yours thoughts and prayers. Hugs 

I don't know if this will comfort you or not but I didn't get to say goodbye to my grandfather who passed during a surgery. A little while later I had a dream where he came back and made me breakfast and talked with me. So normal and realistic. I think this is his way of saying goodbye to much younger me. I firmly believe that our loved ones see us from heaven and understand our sorrow at their passing and send their love. Idk that was just on my heart to share so I hope I didn't step out of line. 

11 hours ago, Frumper said:

A couple of years ago I got into baking bread and I was so proud of my creations, I would take pictures of every loaf and show my mom (I guess some of us never get over the need to show mommy what we made).  But then after a few weeks I stopped because I realized that even my mother, who at least pretends to be interested in everything I do and say, likely has no desire to see pictures of bread every few days.  I guess that makes me more self aware than Lori so - yay??

My daughter learned to make bread not too long ago.  She texted me a picture of her first loaf!  But then she and the boyfriend had the nerve to eat it all and not share it with us! :)

@ChickenettiLuvr I am SO sorry. No matter how old you are, daddy is the best. Sending you hugs and wishes for peace. Know your dad probably thought you walked on water and could never do any wrong. He loved you. 

Again, I am so sorry. I know that pain too. 

So sorry for your loss, @ChickenettiLuvr

I just read that blog post. You know what? We do most of the things the people are suggesting. I cook from scratch. We eat dinner out once a week and breakfast after church maybe once a month--and the latter is usually cheap fast food. We have never had a vacation longer than five days including travel time and only three that long in nine years of marriage. I meal plan. I use the store's digital coupon site. Husband changes the oil and does a lot of the basic maintenance on our vehicles which were paid for with cash. Hell, our neighbor does both of our haircuts for free and colors mine for $40 (that I have to force her to take) and--bonus compared to fundie home haircuts!--she's a licensed professional stylist. We had salad from our garden for dinner tonight. And our house payment for a three bedroom ranch with two car garage and full basement is so low compared to most places in this country that a lot of you would die if I told you the amount. 

But here's the thing...we can't make ends meet on one income with just the two of us and a rabbit. We literally cannot. We have to have my income to make it. There is no way that we could make it with even one kid and me not working. We couldn't make it with one kid and me working--particularly with the cost of child care. And I don't buy it when these people claim they are. There is extra coming from somewhere in some roundabout way if they really are living on what they say. Example: A friend of mine has seven children. She is a SAHM and homeschools. Her husband is a public school teacher. He supports nine people on one income of probably around $50,000 a year supplemented slightly by her giving piano lessons to a few kids one night a week. Sounds like a great story for Lori to jump on--See!! It can be done!! No excuses for the rest of you!! But here's the catch in their story: he inherited their home from his parents and already lived there when they got married. They have never had to pay rent or a mortgage payment. It is also on a farm which his brother still farms which means lower property taxes here. They only pay low property taxes and insurance for their housing.

I would bet money that something like that is going on with a lot of these people telling their "we live on $45,000 a year because we meal plan" stories. At least my friend admits that no mortgage is a huge factor in making it possible for them. 

32 minutes ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

My heart hurts. Badly. 

I am so sorry for your loss.

@ChickenettiLuvr,  I am so sorry about the loss of your dad :hug4:

As to where I'd love to go if I had the money (and time) to go:

I'd love to circumnavigate someday, but that's unlikely to ever happen.

Africa on safari to see the animals.  We are thinking about doing that next year for our 40th anniversary.  

The UK -there's not a many places that I'd not like to go to although this time I'd rather not spend so much time with my husband's family.  We did spend one day with a relative that inflicted an organ concert at his church on us and a terrible night at this one hotel in Biggleswade.  Anything else would be OK and I'd like to see more than I did before. I'd like to throw Poohsticks off the bridge in the 100 Acre Wood, look for antiques in Notting Hill and old books at Hay-on-Wye.  I told my daughter once that we need to go back with empty suitcases.

Italy

Greece 

France

The Basque country of Spain and France

Canada (especially the Maritimes)

China

A Maine Windjammer cruise

A river cruise

Japan 

ETA: Disney World, again.  Some of us in the family are huge Disney fans.

I'd also love to visit all our national parks.  I'd hoped that my husband and I could take the grandkids park visiting every summer, but I don't think that will happen.

17 minutes ago, Sarah92 said:

I'm so sorry to hear that. Sending you and yours thoughts and prayers. Hugs 

I don't know if this will comfort you or not but I didn't get to say goodbye to my grandfather who passed during a surgery. A little while later I had a dream where he came back and made me breakfast and talked with me. So normal and realistic. I think this is his way of saying goodbye to much younger me. I firmly believe that our loved ones see us from heaven and understand our sorrow at their passing and send their love. Idk that was just on my heart to share so I hope I didn't step out of line. 

I had something similar when my mom passed.  We knew it was coming and I was unable to go back but I did talk to her on the phone and the last thing we said to each other was I Love You.  But I still wanted to get there, and I knew I wasn't going to be able to.  She died very early in the morning, I think around 3:00 a.m. or so.  Right about the time she died, I was asleep and dreaming.  I dreamed that I walked into the room at the care center that she was in and we had a talk about memories and saving them, how important it is to remember people.  When I got the call the next morning, I realized that it was about the same time and I am firmly convinced that she came to me to say goodbye.

ChikenettiLuvr, your Dad knows.  I was able to go when we knew Dad wasn't going to make it, but I had to get back to work so we decided to head back to Oklahoma since the doctor thought it would be a few days still.  The doctor was wrong, we actually got back home about 30 minutes before he passed.  I felt really bad that I was not there, but my brother and sister were.  They said he was peaceful and seemed to know they were there, and they talked to him about me having been there earlier and it seemed to calm him.  I'm firmly convinced that Dad knew I had been there. Your dad knows you love him, I promise you that.

29 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

@ChickenettiLuvr  Sending hugs and love to you on your loss.  :group-hug: 

You dad knew how much love him -- daddies always know these things.  

Yes, they do.  

I am so sorry about your dad.  

What irritates me where Lori and her ilk start talking about how when you add up what is costs for a woman to work outside the home that she ends up bringing home very little is that they are always making the assumption that the woman is making a fairly low wage. I make a good salary and when you add up what it costs me to work, I still bring home a substantial sum. They often mention the clothing that needs to be bought for work. I have a very casual workplace so my extra clothing costs are minimal. I don't think that women are generally spending thousands of dollars a year on work clothes unless they really love clothes and shopping and then wouldn't they still want the clothes if they weren't working. I know that daycare is very expensive but still there are many women, me included, where daycare is only a relatively small even if it is substantial portion of their income.

Also, what is wrong with working for luxuries. Yes, I love to travel. Yes, I like to go to the grocery store and buy what we need and like without having to worry about keeping a tight grocery budget. Yes, I like to buy clothes at regular stores or online rather than thrift store. But, I work for it. Why did Ken work away from home 50% of the time instead of being at home with his family each evening? Could it have been that he wanted to advance his career and earn more money to afford luxuries. There is nothing wrong for either a man or a woman to work hard, make sacrifices to have the life that they want. That race to the bottom of the poverty line that Lori and her fangirls do is sickening.

22 hours ago, feministxtian said:

This heathen WORKING wife made dinner for her hub tonight even though she feels like shit after overheating (me not car) on the way home from work today. Baked chicken, potato salad and macaroni salad (not home made so I gotta give myself a downvote for that)

So how is the new job?

1 minute ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

So how is the new job?

The job is actually a lot of fun. My coworkers are cool, the company is pretty damn progressive (many out and about folks), the benefits are damn good, little pricey but since I only have to cover me, it's all good. 

Just hopping on for a minute to thank you for the love. Can't tell you how much it means!!

I haven't been a very good Jingerite recently in verbalizing support for all of you. But I'm over here in the corner, quietly cheering you on, wishing you well, and all the good things.

Just wondering... is it okay to strangle certain jerky family members who've made hateful, selfish, or unsupportive comments today? Asking for a friend...

23 hours ago, feministxtian said:

This heathen WORKING wife made dinner for her hub tonight even though she feels like shit after overheating (me not car) on the way home from work today. Baked chicken, potato salad and macaroni salad (not home made so I gotta give myself a downvote for that)

It's summer, so I didn't work. But I went to my mom's to do her banking and errands and some other things today. I was gone for basically a work day. And we had lemon chicken made from scratch, salad (veggies from our garden) and corn on the cob for dinner. 

I will never for the life of me understand how Lori and that ilk can convince themselves that cooking is so time consuming that no one can work and cook dinner on the same day. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived