IGNORED

John David is courting Abbie Grace Burnett

VBOY9977

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

I get where you're going with this, but holy smokes. I can't even THINK about saying this to two grown-ass adults with a straight face. Think they'll be grounded if they're not back within an hour? No allowance for two weeks? Jeez Louise, these people are so ridiculous, it makes my head hurt.

Oh yeah, it's ridiculous beyond belief. And isn't it sad that it's still a step up from the way Jim Bob and Michelle treat their actual adult children? 

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Thanks. OK, here's the (U of Arkansas)  Razorbacks baseball schedule: http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-basebl/schedule/  

The caption states that the Razorbacks lost. According to their website, they lost to Oregon State on Wed & Thursday-- but they were playing in Omaha, Neb.

They lost a home game on Sunday, June 10.

I don't know why JD and Abbie would be in Omaha.

Even though the Razorback Baseball team was playing in the finals of the College World Series in Omaha, Baum Stadium, home stadium of Razorback baseball on the U of Arkansas campus was open for fans to come and watch the games there on a big screen.  I think that is where John and Abbie were.  And since John mentioned that the Razorbacks lost, I would think they were there for Thursday nights game.  

On 6/30/2018 at 4:51 AM, Feministe9000 said:

Haven’t posted on here for awhile and I come back to this! 

John David looks happier than I think I’ve ever seen him, wow what a difference. Abbie is cute, and obviously a smart and hard worker, getting some kind of licensing and training. Good for them both! 

I know, I know, shame about the cult and all that. Aside from all the other awful bullshit he and his family believe in, just glad for him is all, he looks truly happy. 

They both look happier in the baseball photo then Joshia and Lauren does in their wedding picture. 

2 hours ago, BernRul said:

Oh yeah, it's ridiculous beyond belief. And isn't it sad that it's still a step up from the way Jim Bob and Michelle treat their actual adult children? 

I laughed so hard at that. I’m 25 and I couldn’t imagine someone telling me to come back in an hour or there would be consequences or even worse having a chaperone on a date! I’m thankful I live on my own and have freedom.  I feel sorry for them. By their age, they should be able to go out alone. They are WAY old enough. 

16 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

What consequences could there be for a 28-year-old man who breaks their courtship rules?

Having to go to mommy and daddy and confessing?  Being sent to the prayer closet?  Standing up in church and announcing?  Family shaming?  Umm  - being grounded from the airplane daddy owns?  I have no clue.  It's ridiculous.   Besides, they pick their own courtship rules according to the folks.  It is just a happy coincidence they all want to do just like mommy and daddy desire! Other than that very unfortunate front hug Jill gave Derrick at the airport and Michelle promptly said, "They won't do that again!"  So there must be some consequences.  Or the time she got all butt hurt when Jessa and Ben held hands to pray in a restaurant with both sets of their folks right there! OMG!  She was all flustered and "daddy said it was okay, so...."    And then she happily sends them off to have God approved sex a short while later.  I can't even imagine.   The concept baffles me totally. 

If yall think a couple can't "do" anything in an hour, I've got a few stories for you.

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

If yall think a couple can't "do" anything in an hour, I've got a few stories for you.

Exsactly....My friends super strict parents thought that when we were and high school and let me tell you, they love their now 8 year old grandson :laughing-rofl:

That video is utterly cute. Not sure how JD feels about his courtship being on TV, but he does seem excited and maybe even a little surprised to be in a courtship. They seem to like each other.

I see role reversal happening in that video. Abbie is all normal voice grownup and JD is all high pitched baby voice talking to her. It actually is pretty cute how obviously happy and excited he is. I'm looking forward to his Instagram captions. So far he's hit it out of the park.

I've got their wedding gift all picked out:

il_570xN.193998407.jpg?version=0

But only because "Reunited...and it Feels so Good" would be weird to have on a sign.

23 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Duggar Data's new post on the John/Abbie courtship statistics: https://duggardata.tumblr.com/post/175420715517/john-abbie-are-courting-get-the-data-here

She has a feeling they're going to get engaged during the Peach festival that her family makes ice cream for every year (July 21), and I'm inclined to agree. But I'm kind of crap at predicting things, so I probably just jinxed it.

I think the timeline for courtship/engagement/first pregnancy are accurate, and I'm amazed by the collection of data. However, every time I see one of the potential quiver size estimates, I tend to disagree. Even Anna, pious and steeped in the kool-aid as she is, has had 5 kids in almost 10 years of marriage. Given that Abbie will likely be closer to 27 on her wedding date, I can't imagine she'll have more than 6 kids. I'd wager it'll be even less. 

I think it's too soon to predict how many offspring each couple will produce, since all we know at this stage is that the first baby or two come shortly after marriage.  I don't think most of the second generation Duggars will have ultra-large families, due to biological factors or personal preference. Just a hunch, not based on data, but on the observation that a lot of children from big families often choose to have smaller families of their own. Michelle got a show because she's an outlier, even in the QF/fundie world, but it's no guarantee that her children or in-laws would be as capable or as motivated to have as many children as she did. 

On 6/30/2018 at 9:41 AM, WiseGirl said:

Forgive my suspicion that the Duggars were playing with a timeline. At first I thought this photo happened during the football season last fall. Nope, pretty sure it was the baseball playoffs, however if they are courting already, when was the getting to know you stage and how long did that last? Inquiring minds are nosy. Could this be the reason he didn't go to Australia? 

It was the College World Series final in Omaha last week. It finishes with a best of three game series.  Arkansas lost to Oregon State, two games to one. 

I wonder who got to chaperone that trip and if JD's plane was at our little airport--tons of private planes use it for the CWS. 

12 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I've got their wedding gift all picked out:

il_570xN.193998407.jpg?version=0

But only because "Reunited...and it Feels so Good" would be weird to have on a sign.

Moving to the country, gonna eat a lotta' peaches.

Moving tot he country, gonna eat me a lotta' peaches...

17 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Wow, haven’t heard that in AGES!

6 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Peaches come from a can, they were put there by a man in a factory downtown.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:31 AM, theotherelise said:

My husband and I didn't have sex before our wedding night and we are dealing with infertility. We had each had sex prior to our relationship (although, just one time for me), so we weren't anywhere close to Michael & Brandon. But physical intimacy was probably still the hardest part of our marriage early on and we had a lot of insecurity wrapped up in it. It's actually why we waited starting to try until we did (almost 2.5 years into marriage), because we wanted to have a better sex life before adding the pressure.

But no matter how good your communication around sex and quality of your physical intimacy, infertility does a number on it. We actually took this month off treatment because the pressure was getting to us. I don't think I can describe what it feels like month after month to try and get yourself in the mood again during crucial times. IUI in the morning and sex in the evening is the worst. I was never shy with my husband about my cycles before we started trying, but you pretty quickly get to a point of 100% communication about it. My husband knows more about ovulation than most of my girl friends! Men struggle with infertility too, and I'm sure Brandon is fully up-to-speed on things. There is even about a 40% chance that their infertility has a male-factor component, so he might even be the one being treated.

The process does overtake you. It's impossible to go through infertility without times of being overwhelmed and despairing. And it's really hard to do that in light of Christian faith too. I have to deal with people's insensitive "prayers" for us all the time. Just the other day my cousin sent me a fb message about how God has a plan, if only the waiting weren't so hard. Bitch, you had a baby 40 weeks after we started trying to conceive and that happened even with your tubes tied!

And the jealousy is real, guys. It's all-encompassing sometimes. I have had someone pregnant in my church small group the entire time I've been trying. My church only has about 70 people and at least four couples are expecting right now. But I know Michael has more pregnant bellies around her than I can ever imagine. I do not envy her that. But I do envy her Illinois health insurance! Assuming they aren't on medshare or something (big assumption), insurance in IL is required to cover infertility treatments. She could even do something like NaPro, since they probably wouldn't do IVF. 

Hugs to you. I won't say I know what you're feeling - because I don't really. But I have a similar story. Infertility does screw with your head. We have unexplained in fertility - but did about 6 or 7 IUIs and tried to do 2 IVFs (couldn't get any eggs). It was exhausting have sex with a purpose.
And we didn't really tell my family about it at all - so that lead to everyone asking every single time we got together for holidays. We ended up adopting and are perfectly content - but it still hurts and I still don't really like talking about it.

I do get to school my mom when she says things like "Well so & so isn't pregnant and has lupus - so maybe I should send her this pamphlet I found on.." and said "NO!! Unless she comes to you and says "help me" - stay the HELL out of it!! None of your business!!"

It's hard though - infertility nearly broke us and we dated for 4 years before we got married and were married for 11 years before welcoming our son. I can't imagine what it would be like if we'd "courted" and then got engaged and then married (in the span of months) and suffered through...

On 6/29/2018 at 7:02 PM, Jatalie1996 said:

I must say I'm surprised at how quickly JD jumped on the Instagram bandwagon. He definitely strikes me as the more private type, ala JoKen.

Publicity. I imagine he was told to.

8 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I hadn't heard this in ages, but I went to a Sounders game this weekend and they were playing it in the stadium!!

2 hours ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

Peaches come from a can, they were put there by a man in a factory downtown.

Now I've got this stuck in my head. :pb_lol:

33 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Publicity. I imagine he was told to.

Well, that's exactly my point. JoKen have avoided social media and just now started their family website, so I figured JD would be the type to take a similar path. Now I'm not saying JoKen weren't pressured into publicizing their lives, but it does seem like they were able to make that choice for themselves.

15 hours ago, Skeptic said:

I think the timeline for courtship/engagement/first pregnancy are accurate, and I'm amazed by the collection of data. However, every time I see one of the potential quiver size estimates, I tend to disagree. Even Anna, pious and steeped in the kool-aid as she is, has had 5 kids in almost 10 years of marriage. Given that Abbie will likely be closer to 27 on her wedding date, I can't imagine she'll have more than 6 kids. I'd wager it'll be even less. 

I think it's too soon to predict how many offspring each couple will produce, since all we know at this stage is that the first baby or two come shortly after marriage.  I don't think most of the second generation Duggars will have ultra-large families, due to biological factors or personal preference. Just a hunch, not based on data, but on the observation that a lot of children from big families often choose to have smaller families of their own. Michelle got a show because she's an outlier, even in the QF/fundie world, but it's no guarantee that her children or in-laws would be as capable or as motivated to have as many children as she did. 

The fun of Duggar Data is that it's only a reflection of, well, the data. It's taking all the data points and saying, "If this person is exactly average, based on the data we have, this will be the result." Obviously that's not going to pan out in reality, and whoever runs it understands that. It changes constantly as new data is added, and now and then she'll get an ask about what she actually thinks is likely to happen, and her answer will often be in contradiction with 'the predictor'. A big part of the fun is actually see how certain individuals or couples deviate from what the data would predict!

Also, I agree with you. I'm very doubtful that any of them will have 19, and I think probably only a handful will get to double digits. Some of them will prevent, a lot of them just won't be super fertile + actively trying like Michelle. (Jessa, for example - I'm super unconvinced that she's actually preventing pregnancy beyond maybe some basic NFP. I think it's far more likely that extended breastfeeding is helping to suppress her fertility, and they're just not actively trying. But I'm always hoping to be proved wrong!)

On 6/29/2018 at 6:54 PM, Coconutwater said:

JD wanted to be a commercial Pilot and JB and Michelle told him no due to lack of time with family, I’m hoping he goes for his dream and Abbie encourages it. It is possible for both to work and have a family...

Could you or someone direct me to where this was talked about or viewed? Never saw this.

On July 1, 2018 at 6:14 AM, Rachel333 said:

What consequences could there be for a 28-year-old man who breaks their courtship rules?

It's probably not occurred to him, but really of all of them he has the least motivation to follow the rules. Sure, they can cut the purse strings and not let him use their planes, but he has marketable skills AND could easily cut a deal with a magazine or something to discuss his "fall from Duggar grace" - I'm sure he could spread some dirt around if he felt he had to, he probably knows what skeletons are hiding in the prayer closet. His (probable) soon-to-be-fiancé has a job. They don't need JB the way the other kids do.

That said, I'm sure he's just going to follow along the family party line. And that's understandable, it would be really painful to break from his parents like that, especially with all the siblings he'd lose as well. But he COULD get away with skirting the rules the way none of the others likely could, if he wanted to.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived