IGNORED

Mr & Mrs Jill Duggar 60: The Shilling Dillards

Jellybean

Seems the whole skirts only thing is  very passé  for young Christian fundamentalists  save for the Maxwell types who were never the norm to begin with. Times and Whats proper change  even for this group of people. 

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a difference between IFB fundamentalist, Southern Baptist fundie, Evangelical fundie, and fundies like Mike Pence and Billy Graham. The IFB fundies are isolationist types and hardcore skirts-wearers. The IFB fundies appear to be getting smaller as younger generations leave it for flavors of fundie that allow them to blend in more such as evangelical and Calvinist types.

19 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Rough crowd today. Not sure why this got so many down votes, I don't necessary agree with it but seems a fairly innocuous statement IMO. :confusion-shrug:  Anyway, I don't think she so much wants to BE Jinger as she wants Jinger's golden (can seemingly do know wrong) status, the status that Jill held, until Derelicts fall from Boob's grace. 

Eh, it happens. I think Ofjill and Ofwreck are trash humans so I'm always tough in them. I stand by the jealously vibe I get from Jill on Jinger's IG though. No one has to agree but it seems Jill has tried a half ass attempt at nearly everything Jinger has done. I also think the change of wardrobe is to blend in more with the college kids they're currently harassing than anything, where as ones like Jinger and Alyssa Webster seemed to truly want to change their style. 

On 6/22/2018 at 7:03 PM, Joyfully_Unavailable said:

Shorts

and a tank top? My my my I hope she didn’t defraud too many woodland creatures!

Shite. I was thinking Jill looks so healthy and happy, and then it hit me...shorts and a tank! You go, girl.

Derick's "alonetime" and "nokids" tags hashtags on that post are reminder that he and Jill have never really gotten the chance to spend much time alone together out in the world. The time spent hiking hearkens back to when he and Jill were courting rather than having two young kids who need things from them. And this time it means the two of them hiking without a chaperone either.

This is NOT to say that having time with just your spouse is a bad thing at all. But this particular post does kind of suggest that things might be different for them if it were just the two of them at this stage, which they could have had if they (aka the Duggar borg etc.) weren't obsessed with reproduction, and they hadn't immediately had a honeymoon baby.

They really never did get that alone time aside from the honeymoon itself, since they went from chaperoned, to honeymoon, to pregnant wherein Jill may not have been feeling all that great for significant parts of it. Then they had a baby and took off for Central America with no nearby childcare, then after coming back to the States promptly had a second kid. 

In this way I do think J&J had the right idea, take that first year at least for just the two of them BEFORE starting on growing the quiver. If they had taken the chance to develop a stronger partnership to start with, they might not be quite so crazy-seeming (or actually crazy) now.

ETA: This post has been edited after considering @Seculardaisy's comment below. I originally suggested that Derick might resent his kids, but that's not something we can prove. What we *can* prove is that it's a reminder that they've had kids almost the entirety of their 4 year marriage and that they've had little time to just themselves.

I have four kids. I love alone time/ no kids moments. I really don’t think we can take those hashtags to imply any ill will to his kids.

It’s a pretty normal thing for parents to mention and be excited for alone time.

8 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

I have four kids. I love alone time/ no kids moments. I really don’t think we can take those hashtags to imply any ill will to his kids.

It’s a pretty normal thing for parents to mention and be excited for alone time.

Fair enough. I edited my post to more clearly recognize that they have very little time alone together. Derick *might* be at least a little resentful, but that's pure speculation. I have no kids, but agree that having adult and/or couple time would be a good and healthy thing for any marriage!

Could be just my personality but I wouldn’t want to ever make #nokids a hashtag. My husband and I date without our kids pretty frequently (it’s important, not just for us but for our small children too, who stay home with me full-time), but the value in it is time WITH my spouse, not time WITHOUT my children. Could just be my perspective or the mom perspective (vs. dad perspective). That hashtag rubbed me the wrong way, too.  And @metheglynmade several good points about those two never having had time with #nokids. 

ETA: ugh and also “#alonetime.” How about #dating, #marriedlife, #dateyourspouse, literally anything that doesn’t make it about NOT hanging out with your offspring. 

4 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

There is a difference between IFB fundamentalist, Southern Baptist fundie, Evangelical fundie, and fundies like Mike Pence and Billy Graham. The IFB fundies are isolationist types and hardcore skirts-wearers. The IFB fundies appear to be getting smaller as younger generations leave it for flavors of fundie that allow them to blend in more such as evangelical and Calvinist types.

Please don't paint all IFB types with the same brush, ok? We're not isolationist or hardcore skirt-wearers. There may be some churches that way but remember, IFB churches are independent of one another also. For example, I'm fairly certain that my IFB pastor would take PP to task over many things and would make him cry in a biblical knowledge contest. 

Thank you

39 minutes ago, Pete Pickles said:

Could be just my personality but I wouldn’t want to ever make #nokids a hashtag. My husband and I date without our kids pretty frequently (it’s important, not just for us but for our small children too, who stay home with me full-time), but the value in it is time WITH my spouse, not time WITHOUT my children. Could just be my perspective or the mom perspective (vs. dad perspective). That hashtag rubbed me the wrong way, too.  And @metheglynmade several good points about those two never having had time with #nokids. 

ETA: ugh and also “#alonetime.” How about #dating, #marriedlife, #dateyourspouse, literally anything that doesn’t make it about NOT hanging out with your offspring. 

I still don’t see a problem with it. It’s okay to admit that as parents, we are sometimes tired and need to recharge. I don’t think it’s bad to outright say “today I don’t have to hang out with my kids because I get alone time or time alone with my spouse.”

Derick has definitely made shitty comments about his kids in the past but I just don’t think this is one of them.

41 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

I still don’t see a problem with it. It’s okay to admit that as parents, we are sometimes tired and need to recharge. I don’t think it’s bad to outright say “today I don’t have to hang out with my kids because I get alone time or time alone with my spouse.”

Derick has definitely made shitty comments about his kids in the past but I just don’t think this is one of them.

I’m not saying the sentiment isn’t there. Parents need breaks. I just don’t see myself ever publicly (and as a public figure, no less) saying anything even remotely negative about my children for literally just existing. They’ll grow up eventually and (disclaimer: I was a sensitive child and am still a fairly sensitive adult) might feel hurt by it, or at the very least, feel the same way I did when I saw it, wondering why he can’t just celebrate and appreciate his wife rather than celebrating and appreciating his time without his kids.  Again, I respect and don’t necessarily disagree with your opinion. I just try to always be wary of my childrens’ feelings, even at a time when they’re not quite old enough to have them yet.

And because this is a snark board, I have to sprinkle some in. Hey, Derick, want to spend about 40 hours a week away from your kids? Get a legitimate job, ya bum!

@melon,  my second daughter's BFF  who lives near Summerville posted on her FB what the National Weather Service was warning about the temperatures/heat indices in the Low Country today.  Charleston was maybe going to have a heat index of 112 while Reidsville was the Low Country cool spot with a heat index of only 105.  Yikes that's hot!   Please be safe with heat like that!

Non hiker here - I'd be nervous about getting scrapes as well as the insects in Jill's outfit. But still a cute outfit. The exposed knees takes me back to episodes of the show where Jill's knees were blurred out, wondering if that was a JB request or what. Maybe that's why Derick refused to film anymore :pb_biggrin:

Re: the heat....I love warm weather but I hate the humidity! Years ago when I visited Palmdale CA I feel in love with the area not just for the town but because I could walk outside in 100 degree weather feeling better than 75 degrees with insane humidity like I feel today in NJ. I hate feeling like I need a shower after spending 5 minutes outside!

I'm a lot happier with Duggar types  preaching their hateful beliefs to their own damn choir rather than bullying trans teens publicly online. The risk would be that you get more flies with honey than vinegar (which I 1000% think Cross Church intervened to tell Derick) ... but there are very few Americans who haven't already made up their minds on conservative culture war issues like abortion, lgbt rights etc. Most ppl who accidentally wander into Derick's path are going to figure out very quickly what side of the fence he stands on and hopefully get out of the way... to painfully mix too many metaphors!

------

Any time you start worrying about a woman's modesty other than as it applies to YOUR body, you are probably already in the wrong. I HOPE Jill felt body confident, comfortable, strong and beautiful in that picture of her out hiking in nature. No matter her hateful beliefs, I hope she learns to feel good in her own skin and chooses what to wear for herself.

Modesty isn't just for slut shaming on the right. If you're on the progressive side and worry about the male gaze, talk body image in the media, talk about record companies and marketing campaigns objectifying performers and artists, talk about putting women behind cameras and in more positions of power and of course talk about ending sexual harassment and assault. Stop criticizing individual women for 'giving in' to the male gaze...or basically, being too slutty. Modesty as a social judgement rather than personal preference needs to be dropped.

1 hour ago, PainfullyAware said:

Modesty isn't just for slut shaming on the right. If you're on the progressive side and worry about the male gaze, talk body image in the media, talk about record companies and marketing campaigns objectifying performers and artists, talk about putting women behind cameras and in more positions of power and of course talk about ending sexual harassment and assault. Stop criticizing individual women for 'giving in' to the male gaze...or basically, being too slutty. Modesty as a social judgement rather than personal preference needs to be dropped.

Hang on, I'm confused by what you mean.  Are you suggesting that worrying about the male gaze/body image in the media etc is all about modesty and social judgements?  Because if you do, I'd love to know why, because they are the opposite of policing women's bodies and blaming them for men's actions.

And pretty much everyone I know on the progressive side who talks about ending sexual harassment and assault is 100% against victim blaming - the whole point of a lot of these conversations is that short skirts/showing flesh is definitely NOT an invitation to assault, and the opposite of modesty culture.  or am I misunderstanding you?

This puts it better than I did from Harper's Bazaar:

"This isn't a new phenomenon, but it certain is a prevailing one. Kim Kardashian, Rihanna, Emma Watson, Amber Rose and Emily Ratajkowski have all been berated for sharing pictures of themselves in varying states of undress. The opposing argument is that to be sexual means that you're trashy; that you're playing into male fantasy thereby invalidating your feminist values. Interestingly, the criticism comes from men and women, who often parrot the same sentiment – what sort of role model does this make you to young women?"

I'm referring to those progressives who make comments like "X writhing around in a music video is just confirming to the male gaze and is therefore not a real feminist." Here's one about some people questioning  whether Emma Watson is a real feminist after exposing breasts in a photo shoot. It's not the main perspective of most progressives for sure, but it does occasionally happen. I raised it just to say modesty as a social judgement on the right or the left needs to go away and there are many better targets to go after that reinforce the male gaze other than, say a woman taking a naked selfie or 'freeing the nipple'. Does that make better sense? Hopefully since I'm tired while I'm writing. 

7 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

Jill posted a new video on youtube with Izzy crying. In my opinion, that part should be edited out. 

It is so hard to watch, he had bad motion sickness. I wish Jill and Derick would stop dragging the boys everywhere with them. 

On Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 5:16 PM, kiwi said:

Why would the Dullards attend their sister in laws brothers wedding??? 

If my sister in laws brother got married id not be invited!

Are fundie weddings an “invite everyone you know and their dog” events? 

That depends on your family, i have always been that close with one in laws family and have been for (oh dear god im old) 31+years and am always invited to and go to everything. Guess that makes me Fido....

I just watched the boat videos? Does Jill know how to edit videos? She is just posting little snippets of their day. Is that more profitable than making a good video? 

Speaking of a good video with great production, have you all seen the woman running for Congress in Texas? 

1 hour ago, muggleborn said:

It is so hard to watch, he had bad motion sickness. I wish Jill and Derick would stop dragging the boys everywhere with them. 

The issue isn’t them taking the kids out*. The issue is them being so bad at social media that they don’t realize they should edit the content they post. 

*Having young kids on a boat is absolutely normal to me since I grew up on the coast and spent a lot of my childhood summers swimming or boating. Some of my favorite memories are of my family spending time on the water. Jill and OfJill may not have known Izzy would get sick on the boat and I can’t fault them for simply taking the boys with them - making the crying video public is another matter.

ETA: Was there a specific clip where Izzy being sick was mentioned? I didn’t hear anything about him being sick in the crying video - he seemed more upset and scared about the boat possibly moving fast than anything. I’d guess they had been going faster originally, but slowed down as they came to a spot to anchor or because Izzy was so upset about the speed.

ETA 2: The rest of the videos seemed fine to me. Derick seemed more relaxed and natural with the kids here. Maybe being in a place he has good memories of his father helped him relax a bit. The last video of him with both boys was actually very sweet. 

I saw that Texas campaign video last night. DH heard the audio and requested that I replay it so he could watch. It's THAT good. :) 

@MiddleAgedLady,  I saw MJ Hegars "Doors" video Saturday evening over at Daily Kos.  it's great!

@bella8050,  I hate hot weather in general, but I will admit to loving that time in the mid afternoon when it's fairly oven-y out and the humidity is low.  (We're not talking about a steam oven here.)  I wouldn't want to be very active and mightn't  want to be out for very long, but a few minutes outdoors is not at all bad.  

3 hours ago, HurricaneBells said:

That depends on your family, i have always been that close with one in laws family and have been for (oh dear god im old) 31+years and am always invited to and go to everything. Guess that makes me Fido....

Me too.  In my experience, especially when a married couple has kids and the extended family lives nearby, it's pretty common for the siblings/parents of each spouse to end up together a lot - kids' birthday parties, holidays, etc.  And after a few years of that you can get fairly close to them.  I think if my SIL's sister got married I would probably be invited.

I was invited to my sister's sister in law's wedding, as well as both of her son's weddings (so my sister's nephew's weddings).  I'm in the "not weird" camp as well.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived