IGNORED

Mr & Mrs Jill Duggar 60: The Shilling Dillards

Jellybean

On 6/13/2018 at 7:25 PM, Ivycoveredtower said:

This video breaks my heart.

For some reason, Israel and Samuel remind me of two little guys in my own family.

I don't know why--certainly Jill and DWreck don't look like anyone in my family (thank the goddess). But there's something about the vulnerability, openness, and innocence of little Izzy and Sammy that reminds me of some little kids I love.

And so, more than ever, I am heartbroken that Jill and DWreck are their parents. I know that Israel and Samuel will be seriously limited by an impoverished education, a stultifying belief system, and ingrained bigotry.

Sigh.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/24/2018 at 8:17 AM, eveandadam said:

And I am so confused about the new dress code, really. Showing shoulders, knees, together with a low cut top? What has happened, I'm sorry, but that's so very strange... Even in the most liberal countries on earth that outfit would not be common unless there's extreme heat involved. And that comes from me, who lives in a town with "nudist zones". It's more like an outfit you wear at home, or gardening or something, but not outside.

Where on earth do you live? Riyadh?

I just returned from holiday in northern Italy--surrounded by German and Austrian tourists (and of course Italians) wearing less clothing than that, on city sidewalks.

Shorts and shoulders, the new, lighter Fundie 2.1 experience!

Available now as a free upgrade from Fundie 2.0 - the pants and jeans edition.

I'd love to hear Jill's thoughts on her change in style. I mean, when you tout your wardrobe as a direct outward projection of your religion, and then it changes, it's not too far a stretch in most people's mind that your religion has therefore changed. She's clearly changed her interpretation of Deuteronomy 22:5 from her parent's interpretation. Do I think her beliefs are less horrible and toxic? No, I think she shares the horrible views her headship spews on Twitter. Do I think she's relaxed on some of the more literalist interpretations of the bible that her parents taught her? Yes, and I'm wondering if there are other changes we can't see.

Still think she's in a shitty cult, though.

Skirts while hiking is certainly an unusual choice, but not always a terrible one. They aren't always entirely impractical for outdoor activity, but the ones that the Duggar girls have worn during outdoor activities in the past certainly were. I'm going off-grid camping for a week and packing long boho-style skirts to wear - because they have large pockets to stuff with snacks and I've never felt restricted maneuvering myself in them. Athletic shorts will go under them, and everything will be treated with the strongest pesticides I can get my hands on without a pesticide license. Ticks won't stand a chance, little bastards.

I was so freakin' surprised when I saw that picture of Jill. That's exactly how I dress pretty frequently. My favorite summer outfit is pretty much exactly that, but with a lower-cut shirt and bralette, sort of like this:

Spoiler

image.png.e0eb822e36d853c1035f83923319444e.png

I pretty much always wear that above-the-knee length of shorts not because I like them, but because of dastardly chub-rub.

Anyway, Jinger's style isn't much like mine (it is my shame that I loved the dirty Jesus look before Derrick went full D-wreck), so my reaction to most pics I've seen of Jinger's new modesty standards have been like "oh, mildly interesting." That pic of Jill gave me feelings. I'm not sure which feelings. I think I'm just confused and self-centered, lol.

As an aside, I wear skirts biking very frequently. I bike to work, and sometimes you just run out of clean pants. I'm not super against the use of skirts in athletic contexts (albeit short skirts often make more sense). Flip flops freaked me out a bit more, but even then, where I'm from people wouldn't bat an eye at flip flops for a short, easy hike.

Ticks scare the bejeezus out of me thanks to "Under Our Skin," but I haven't spent a lot of time in very tick-filled places.

ETA: I just Google "Under Our Skin" for the first time in years, and apparently it hasn't stood the test of time very well, so perhaps just ignore me. I don't know anything about ticks.

Regarding ticks, Lyme disease isn't much of an issue in Arkansas. Growing up, finding a tick on you really wasn't a big deal so it seemed odd to me when I moved and people would freak out about ticks.

9 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Regarding ticks, Lyme disease isn't much of an issue in Arkansas. Growing up, finding a tick on you really wasn't a big deal so it seemed odd to me when I moved and people would freak out about ticks.

Yeah, it’s definitely a bigger deal on the East coast. The tick population has absolutely exploded the last few years because of all the mild winters. Frost on the ground normally keeps it under control, but we haven’t had enough cold days for that the past few years. My husband actually pulled a tick off his leg yesterday morning. We think it hid in his sweat pants after the last time he took the dog to the trail near our house, despite the fact that he dresses appropriately and always uses Off with Deet.

(He has the tick wrapped in tape and in a baggie so he can have it tested if needed. The Doctor called in a dose of antibiotics to play it safe too.)

We don’t take our daughter to that trail or the others close by other than in winter because we don’t want to risk her getting bit - we take her to the center of town instead and walk the stroller around there. It sucks because the trails and paths are so pretty here, but we’d rather play it safe. Lyme disease and other tick borne illnesses are no joke. 

17 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

But Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is. And also:  my friend got that "disease" (issue? Side effect?) from being bitten by a tick that makes her allergic to red meat. :( 

I live in a Lyme disease state and I am so freaking paranoid about ticks. I hate them. They're disgusting creatures.

I think Jill's outfit is perfect for the weather and activity. That's something I would wear to go hiking, minus the sandals because they aren't really my style and I can't stand mosquito bites on my feet so its closed toe out in the woods for me. Although like others have said the tick populations have been absolutely awful the last few years so we generally avoid hiking all together in the summer. WI summers get so hot and humid that wearing long pants and sleeves is miserable. 

14 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

But Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is. And also:  my friend got that "disease" (issue? Side effect?) from being bitten by a tick that makes her allergic to red meat. :( 

I live in a Lyme disease state and I am so freaking paranoid about ticks. I hate them. They're disgusting creatures.

Yep, it can happen, as can Lyme disease, but fortunately neither are common in the area.

Coming from someone who was hospitalized for a week with Lyme Meningitis at age 12...yes, ticks are serious business.  Even if there's only a small chance of Lyme disease, I hope Jill used bug spray and checked for ticks.

@Feminist_Defrauder91,  my sister was hospitalized for about a month several years ago with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.  Tick-borne diseases are nothing to take lightly; they can kill you.

People are justifiably freaked out about tick bites, but I'm so used to them where I live that I don't worry too much. I just try to get them off as soon as possible and check the kids at night before bed. 

Ticks are dangerous, yes, but there are other things that can harm you when hiking. Dehydration, heat stroke, sunburn, poison ivy, mosquitoes. Honestly her outfit's not that bad when it comes to ticks. As long as she checks her scalp she should be fine, plus I'm hoping she and Derick had the sense to use some form of insect repellent. 

I've seen a lot of hiking skirts, but most if not all of them have ended on the length of Jill's shorts. All of those skirts have shorts underneath though, so I'm not quite sure... are they just for aesthetics, then? :think:

Avid hiker here: 
I also sometimes wear the skort/short/skirt combo. The reasons: 
- legging underneath prevents chub rub 
- skirt on top creates airflow/a nice breeze around your legs 
- my butt sometimes looks funny in leggings alone but I look great in skirts 

To be fair, I also sometimes wear just pants or long leggings (especially when it's very sunny or we're heading through the thicket). But I do really like skirts in humidity or just sweltering heat for the breeze effect. 

On the subject of the lake videos - I am so confused about why people post videos like that. One minute of footage of a scared 3 year old crying is not entertaining or educational for their audience, nor is it a respectful way to treat Israel. 

Couldn't she just have written about how Israel was scared at first but then enjoyed it? No one needed to see the video to confirm it. 

Jill's "interesting" approach to social media strikes again ... 

I'm super paranoid about ticks. In Australia the government are yet to accept that we have lyme disease in Australia and therefore make it accessible on our health care. If you contract it overseas you can be treated for it under our medical system but not if you contract it in Australia. I clay target shoot competitively and half the grounds that we go to have ticks.

Glad to see that Jill is comfortable enough to no longer be shackled to the clothing standards that her parents forced upon her. Too bad she can't do the same with the shitty beliefs, even if it is for the sake of those little boys. My dream for her would be to throw away the shitty beliefs, give D Wreck the flick and follow through on her dream of studying nursing (or at least study midwifery under a proper, registered course) to actually help people, not the "talk Jesus to brown people" that she has done previously as her version of "help".

I have to admit that I have been wearing skirts (short ones, usually ending above the knee) to go hiking ever since I was old enough to assert myself against my parents who insisted on more sensible clothing. In fact, if I think about it I felt a bit ashamed at first for wearing skirts as they're not normally part of the acceptable hiking dresscode in the countries in which I grew up - perhaps a bit the opposite of how it might have felt for Jill to go for shorts and tank top.

I like the extra airflow of skirts as opposed to shorts, and just generally feel more comfortable wearing skirts (or dresses) in warm weather. And I have also been known to hike in flip flops if it's summer and the walk is a relatively simple one following well-prepared paths.

(Rest assured I'd go for long trousers, thick boots and a layer of DEET if I were to venture out into tick and/or mosquito infested wilderness :my_biggrin:)

The important part is that it needs to be down to choice: Skirts can be appropriate for hiking, and if you feel comfortable wearing them, there's no reason not to do so. It's only bad if you feel restricted or uncomfortable but still don long flowy skirts for demanding physical activities because that's the only thing you're allowed to wear because of ridiculous modesty standards.

Just now, JillyO said:

Yes. They announced several months ago.

Brilliant! it's a girl - her name will be tabitha 

Deena told me. 

I don't care what Jilly Muffin & D'wreck Dilldouche wear.  They are still terrible people due to the long dangerous and toxic beliefs, that they espouse.

1 hour ago, nst said:

Brilliant! it's a girl - her name will be tabitha 

Deena told me. 

Pretty sure it's a boy.

1 hour ago, FloraKitty35 said:

I don't care what Jilly Muffin & D'wreck Dilldouche wear.  They are still terrible people due to the long dangerous and toxic beliefs, that they espouse.

From the POV every single adult Duggar and and spouse are. The whole Duggar family and married in’s believe essentially the same thing when it comes to the core Fundamentalist values.

Does not mean in the least Jill should not be complimented on a cute or appropriate outfit when it applies esp.If you turn right around and complement and fawn over the same exact things in her sisters. 

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived