Jellybean

2 hours ago, potato said:

Yesterday I went to Old Navy to look for some casual dresses.  When I walked out of the fitting room to show my boyfriend how this one olive striped dress looked, I realized where I had seen it before: Jessa's Instagram.  What's worse is that this isn't the first time this has happened.

I ended up buying the dress, too.  Looks like Jessa and I share a love of dresses from Old Navy.

Muh I had the non modest version of Jill's wedding dress. Sometimes I have to begrudgingly admit that they have decent style. 

4 minutes ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

Skiing is NOT  a cheap hobby!!

Just another undeserved entitlement that the Duggars now have. Gah.

It's not, but if they are only going once or twice a year it's probably doable, and there's enough of them that they can split rent on a condo to save on food and accommodations. None of them work regular hours so they can go during the week and get discounted rates as well. Plus I'm not sure how much skiing they actually do, depending on where rentals and a lift ticket for a day or a day and a half for some of them are probably doable. It's not cheap by any means but I know a lot of middle-upper middle class people who ski. I also don't think it's a regular "hobby" for them either as much as a once and a while thing. As far as entitlements for the duggars (crowdfunding for tuition, private planes, a massive home, multiple trips a year, custom made wedding dresses) A ski trip here and there doesn't seem too extravagant. 

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/17/2018 at 7:40 PM, Emkay said:

How did you go about it, and what made you decide to reach out? I’m in a similar situation (except it’s my bio grandmother that is deceased), and there are two half siblings. I don’t know if anyone knows about the existence of my parent- the bio mother died young, so her children were younger than when one might have a conversation and let the ‘family secret’ out. I’ve found both of the half-siblings on FB, and one has an account on Ancestry, which I found out when doing genealogical research on the bio fam. 

The ‘father’ on my parent’s birth certificate was left blank (big surprise, this is from the ‘girls that went away’ era), so really all I want to know is if anyone knows who he is (maybe bio mom’s sister? She would have been a young teen when (teen) bio mom was pregnant), and if there are any health concerns at run in the family. I’d really like to find out the ethnicity of my bio grandfather- parent and I look nothing like bio grandmother, so our features are probably from him. 

Well I knew his name because our last names were the same.  I was also a "girls went away" era baby so my mother pretended they got married, changed her name and actually did put him on my birth certificate.  It's a long convoluted story of how I found out about my half brother and sister.   I really don't know what made me reach out.  Looking for family because mine was falling apart probably. 

9 hours ago, LacyMay said:

It's not, but if they are only going once or twice a year it's probably doable, and there's enough of them that they can split rent on a condo to save on food and accommodations. None of them work regular hours so they can go during the week and get discounted rates as well. Plus I'm not sure how much skiing they actually do, depending on where rentals and a lift ticket for a day or a day and a half for some of them are probably doable. It's not cheap by any means but I know a lot of middle-upper middle class people who ski. I also don't think it's a regular "hobby" for them either as much as a once and a while thing. As far as entitlements for the duggars (crowdfunding for tuition, private planes, a massive home, multiple trips a year, custom made wedding dresses) A ski trip here and there doesn't seem too extravagant. 

And I like that the howlers and lost girls get to enjoy some of their childhood. Kids deserve to have fun, at least once and a while, if it were just Boob and DQ I'd call this an undeserved entitlement, but the kids are there so I'll let it pass.

On 3/18/2018 at 8:34 AM, justmy2cents said:

Jill, Jessa, and Joy (plus the younger girls) have all been seen in ski pants (no skirts over them), while the Bates had ski skirts over their ski pants which quite frankly looked ridiculous.

A lot of Orthodox Jewish women wear special outdoor activity skirts over ski pants when they're on vacation in my town (i live outside a CO ski town) i think this is what the Duggar women/girls do

13 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Jessa says it's 'Colorado snow' in her Instagram video. 

Weird they must have tossed it up in the air or something. I drove from the western slope to Denver yesterday it didnt start snowing here until the end of the day

12 hours ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

Skiing is NOT  a cheap hobby!!

Just another undeserved entitlement that the Duggars now have. Gah.

I think theyve gone to Ski Granby Ranch one of the cheaper areas. Srill super expensive!

29 minutes ago, zee_four said:

Weird they must have tossed it up in the air or something. I drove from the western slope to Denver yesterday it didnt start snowing here until the end of the day

Haha, no, it was most definitely snowing for real. :) 

It was posted two days ago. It's possible that she filmed it earlier, but I'm not sure how long they've been there.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:35 AM, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

My Mom told me I was adopted as soon as I could understand, she said being adopted was special because adoptees are picked but when a baby comes normally you are stuck with what you get.  Made me feel very loved and wanted.

Can I ask? How old were you? I have never (and would never) lie to my son about his adoption - but he just doesn't seem to care. 
He's been all about asking about babies in tummies lately because we have friends who are pregnant. But he asks if everyone is pregnant. All the teachers at school - including Mr. James. (and I am pretty sure he is NOT pregnant...). 
He has said things like "When I was born, I was a baby?" (yep - and you were teeny tiny) and "Do you have a baby in your belly?" (nope - no babies in my belly) 

And I'm just waiting for it to somehow come up in a conversation, either asking about when HE was in my belly or something. And it just hasn't. I did tell him once he was adopted (long story short - we were passing where we got the cats from and I said we adopted them - and paused.... and you're adopted) and he said "NO! I AM FOUR!" 
And we have a few books about being born and being adopted (more stories, less mechanics of birth) and ... he just doesn't get. (he's five now) 

On 3/18/2018 at 12:02 PM, singsingsing said:

They did, but I'm about 99% sure that was entirely conceived by TLC for the show. The girls seemed pretty embarrassed about it iirc.

On 3/18/2018 at 12:04 PM, LacyMay said:

They were shown making khakiish skirts as part of their like dress or everyday uniform. But I can't see them being allowed to do actual work (like the stuff pictured) in skirts. 

Because I have nothing better to do (and was curious haha) I googled it. 

In the episode Duggars on Fire the girls go to Army and Navy to find uniform (navy) skirts. But there aren't any *gasp*! So expert seamstress Anna makes the pants into skirts. 

There's also a YouTube clip  (if you search Duggars on Fire) of Jana Jill and JD responding to  structure fire where the girls are wearing fire gear including pants (like the photo pictured earlier from when they responded to the Tornado in Joplin)

Storyline aside there's no way on earth they would be allowed to respond to an actual call in a navy skirt that's not fire retardant, not reflective and not made of heavy material. 

Thanks I vaguely remembered the fire skirts.  I agree they'd never be allowed to work in them. There's whoever they reported to would never allow them to work in skirts. They would have to wear the proper uniform or they wouldn't be working.                 

15 minutes ago, Meggo said:

Can I ask? How old were you? I have never (and would never) lie to my son about his adoption - but he just doesn't seem to care. 
He's been all about asking about babies in tummies lately because we have friends who are pregnant. But he asks if everyone is pregnant. All the teachers at school - including Mr. James. (and I am pretty sure he is NOT pregnant...). 
He has said things like "When I was born, I was a baby?" (yep - and you were teeny tiny) and "Do you have a baby in your belly?" (nope - no babies in my belly) 

And I'm just waiting for it to somehow come up in a conversation, either asking about when HE was in my belly or something. And it just hasn't. I did tell him once he was adopted (long story short - we were passing where we got the cats from and I said we adopted them - and paused.... and you're adopted) and he said "NO! I AM FOUR!" 
And we have a few books about being born and being adopted (more stories, less mechanics of birth) and ... he just doesn't get. (he's five now) 

I was about 5  going on 6, it was before grade 1.  Every kid is different as to when is a good time.  I think it should be done before an insensitive family member gets there before you.

I have a cousin who tried make me feel badly about it so I was able to shut the little brat down fast.  Hugs to you and YOUR little boy.

@Meggo When my aunt adopted her son, the hospital gave them a story book all about him to read to him.  It said things like his parents had loved him but couldn’t take care of him, so they chose a new mum and dad who would always look after him and love him.  That they wanted his new mum and dad to choose his name, which is blah blah and means blah blah.  Pretty sure they read it to him from very early on.

It was important to my aunt that he find out early, and in a nice way.  My aunt found out she was adopted when she was about 10 - she was snooping through her mum’s desk and found her original birth certificate.  (My mum found her when she was 21, easy to do as it had been a private adoption after their mum died and my grandfather couldn’t look after two kids.  The adoptive parents had a very unusual surname, only ones in the phone book.). They’ve been incredibly close ever since - it’ll be 50 years in April.  Lucky they weren’t the Jones family!

3 minutes ago, Karma said:

@Meggo When my aunt adopted her son, the hospital gave them a story book all about him to read to him.  It said things like his parents had loved him but couldn’t take care of him, so they chose a new mum and dad who would always look after him and love him.  That they wanted his new mum and dad to choose his name, which is blah blah and means blah blah.  Pretty sure they read it to him from very early on.

It was important to my aunt that he find out early, and in a nice way.  My aunt found out she was adopted when she was about 10 - she was snooping through her mum’s desk and found her original birth certificate.  (My mum found her when she was 21, easy to do as it had been a private adoption after their mum died and my grandfather couldn’t look after two kids.  The adoptive parents had a very unusual surname, only ones in the phone book.). They’ve been incredibly close ever since - it’ll be 50 years in April.  Lucky they weren’t the Jones family!

I've heard its good to tell the story with diaper changes, basically so the kid always knows.  H found out when he was told Santa wasn't real, so he went digging to find out what else his parents had lied about . . . it did not go well.

I have a good friend who is adopted, and so is her sister and one of her brothers. Her other brother (the youngest) was a surprise baby after her parents had been told that there was no way her mother could ever get pregnant. She's always known and has never cared. A never felt a need to find her birth family. She's screamingly successful. Her sister and both her brothers are also successful, relatively well adjusted adults. A never had kids of her own, but then again, she wasn't into kids when we were kids. 

Another person I know who is adopted found her birth parents when she was 18. It explains a lot. This person has a lot of mental health issues and was tried and convicted of attempting to kill her adoptive mother...all because her adoptive mother was ill and was costing a lot of money (her adoptive father was a very successful attorney). Her birth family has a lot of mental health issues. I don't think the adoption made her a disgusting person, I think she was always a disgusting person (I've known her since high school).

On 3/18/2018 at 4:32 PM, LookieLoo said:

My entry was fairly accurate as well except for email addresses (not sure where they pull those from but they weren't even close) but my husband and mother's had non-current addresses and some other inaccurate stuff. 

I don’t know how everyone is viewing their information. I can see I’m on there, but can only view my name, city, and age without giving credit card information. I’m sure I’m missing something obvious, but I don’t know what.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:30 AM, BabyBottlePop said:

How does one ski with a skirt? Not being snarky, honestly curious.

I guess you could wear a short skort and leggings? 

On very cold days I have skied with a short puffy skirt over my ski pants. that ads a great deal of warmth. This was after a pro patrol friend lent me hers to try and called it a game changer. I had thought in the past that these skirts were a just a fashion statement.

On the topic of skiing with a skirt, obviously it's not impossible since we've seen the Bates girls do it and heard from a few people who have seen Orthodox Jewish Women do it as well. 

I think sometimes we get super caught up in snarking on the Duggars modesty choices and forget that Fundamentalist Christians are far from the only people with different modesty standards. And to be honest the more I think about it the more I think that if the skirt is properly designed and well fitting you can probably do almost anything in it. I've heard great reviews of knee length athletic skirts with built in leggings, we've seen the Duggars and Bates swim and swing from rope swings in the dreaded wholesome wear etc. 

While it's not "common" by any means a decent number of people seem to function just fine in skirts only. 

What bugs me more about the Duggars is how big a deal they make of it, I'll happily snark on that till the cows come home. 

I think the skirt is simply to cover the   split in the crotch... so that men aren't reminded constantly of the "real reason women exist".. sarcasm font off.

Those Seewald boys are just too freaking cute.  I hope they have nothing but boys!

BTW:  who is the guy running the grill in the second video?

2 hours ago, rezski44 said:

On very cold days I have skied with a short puffy skirt over my ski pants. that ads a great deal of warmth. This was after a pro patrol friend lent me hers to try and called it a game changer. I had thought in the past that these skirts were a just a fashion statement.

I've seen these before, and to a point, they're actually quite practical, since they can help keep you warm and insulated while doing outdoor activities. I'd even wear them myself with leggings in the winter. Just for modesty over *ski pants* however? That I have...concerns about. 

https://www.skhoop.us/collections/september17-1/products/short-down-skirt-17?variant=42691469900

22 minutes ago, Tatar-tot said:

Those Seewald boys are just too freaking cute.  I hope they have nothing but boys!

BTW:  who is the guy running the grill in the second video?

here is an explanation of who he is. he seems to float between the Duggars and Bates house. as he was on the Tori Bates dress episode and was recently at Josh's birthday party. who he is with now who knows since both the Bates and Duggars were in Colorado. 

https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/counting-on/videos/the-duggar-boys-go-to-work

19 hours ago, Meggo said:

I have a few close friends that were adopted or had adopted sibs. They all handled it differently but it all seemed to work for them.

1). One family celebrated their "gotcha day" they'd tell stories about when they first met her, play games, eat cake. (She was adopted at 2 months so it was different from her birthday). There's is closed

2). One celebrates national adoption week. They have 3 adoptees in the family so they do little things to raise money for  an adoption fun run and are very active in that community. At the end of the the week they have a party. They were adopted from foster care.

3). Another has an open adoption and she calls her birth mom "Momo" and her adoptive mom "Mom/Mama" and it's always just been very openly talked about. 

4. They're very religious and they always include birth parents in prayers. Like saying how they are grateful for their sacrifice and they pray for their successes and things. They have a pretty open adoption too.

5. They send the birth parents pictures but the kid doesn't  have contact, they help decide what to send and such though. I think it really opened up a open dialog about it though.

@Meggo I was adopted at birth and have always known. My mom said they just always talked about it in a matter-of-fact way; I don’t remember being “told” for the time, I’ve just always known, of that makes sense. That’s how I’ve explained it to my kids and during various pregnancies it comes up.  “Oh, you weren’t in Nana’s tummy? Some other lady?” Lol. When they were very little, I would tell them that a young woman was pregnant with me and that she loved me so much, but she felt that she wouldn’t be able to take care of me as well as she wanted me cared for. So she found a family who couldn’t get pregnant, but badly wanted to be a mommy and daddy and she chose them to give me to. And then, of course, as they get older I get more detailed. I did have a book when I was little....I think it was called The Chosen Baby/Child. 

On 3/19/2018 at 9:47 AM, singsingsing said:

Haha, no, it was most definitely snowing for real. :) 

It was posted two days ago. It's possible that she filmed it earlier, but I'm not sure how long they've been there.

I was regularly checking the radar statewide all day including throughout my drive wanting to avoid running into Spring Break tourists and the storm that was supposed to start early Sunday morning that didn't start until much later and also because my boyfriend was leaving the mountains and driving from western Eagle County up north and then west of Steamboat to his land near Craig. Take away the eastern plains because you can't ski there and that's a decent chunk.

I wouldn't make a point about it if the Duggars weren't well known for mucking with timelines. It was likely from much earlier in the week when there was a super quick light snow across the central mountains. Waiting a week to post isn't egregious, but it always seem they suggest everything is live time. That's all.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived