IGNORED

Dillards 53: Making Assumptions and Indoctrinating the Children

Jellybean

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, viii said:

Oh, the Left Behind series. I was raised in a very religious cult, and the Rapture was so heavily preached. I was TERRIFIED that my entire family would be raptured, and I'd be left behind. It gave me such bad anxiety to the point where if my mom was running to the store, she'd leave me a note so I knew where she was. If my parents said they'd be home at 7 pm and it was 7:10 and they weren't home yet, I would be calling them over and over and thinking - who else has been left behind? Who can I call?

I am convinced 100% that the whole rapture belief is what gave me anxiety that I STILL suffer from today. 

This was my fear exactly too, even before the Left Behind series! My dad LOVED the book of Revelations. I moved seamlessly from left-alone-at-the-rapture-fear to the-Russians-are-going-to-nuke-us cold war fear. Oh good times, to be raised with a heaping helping of terror.

The tag "Fuck this guy" needs to be added to any Derick thread

Re: @FJismyheadship reading #jesuslovesthemall as a statement about the mall -

10 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Everyone does. Bless Carlin Bates’ little heart for unintentionally creating my favorite fundie hashtag. :pb_lol:

Yep. My realization from awhile back was accompanied by visions of Jesus cruisin' around drinking a bubble tea post-pedicure, checking out the cellphone case and bath refurbishing stands.

Oh yeah - one more. Anyone acquainted with the book Fox's Book of Martyrs? Talk about age-inappropriate reading. My dad had us kids read that at a very early age. I KNEW beyond a doubt that if I were subjected to similar tortures that I would betray Christ in a hot minute and that made me feel lower than low and SO unworthy, which is why I was not convinced that I would be raptured with my family.

It's a wonder that I can walk and talk today. 

Re: these Twaddle Twin books, I'm surprised the author gets a pass from the Dillards given the fact that he's Mormon, a big evangelical no-no.  Someone ask Cathy on Twitter how come.

Also, guys: it's the Book of Revelation (no "s" on the end). *smooch*

4 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Jill has a Instagram live up of her and the boys outside. What strikes me as the most interesting is that I don’t know if we’ve ever heard an unscripted Jill before. In my opinion she had an entirely different kind of tone to her voice when she wasn’t repeating what she was told to say. 

I agree. The very start of it, I was really struck by her resemblance to Jana, never noticed that before. 

But her voice has a much less grating, childish quality when she’s not scripted. 

1 hour ago, waltraute said:

Oh yeah - one more. Anyone acquainted with the book Fox's Book of Martyrs? Talk about age-inappropriate reading. My dad had us kids read that at a very early age. I KNEW beyond a doubt that if I were subjected to similar tortures that I would betray Christ in a hot minute and that made me feel lower than low and SO unworthy, which is why I was not convinced that I would be raptured with my family.

It's a wonder that I can walk and talk today. 

It is weird, but the Book of Martyrs has apparently been considered child-friendly fare since the early 1800s at least - in Romantic and Victorian literature you sometimes hear about young characters being traumatized/fascinated by the illustrations.

I remember some of my Christian neighbors being terrified of being raptured up while on the toilet... Or not being raptured at all and being left behind. One of the asked me if she could come live with my family after that happened... Apparently, Jews aren't eligible for the rapture :kitty-wink:

And yes, the cold war, we're all going to die terror/certaintude. The 80's were a strange time. I thought the doomsday clock was behind us, but it sure doesn't feel that way right now.

Have any of you read The Seven Sleepers series? My husband had it in a box from childhood and I'll read anything...

It's the story of Revelations for the tween crowd. Absolutely terrifying. 

I read all of those!! I loved them. I don't remember why I loved them... Maybe for the romantic bits? I would hunt through books looking for tidbits of romance and sex. Lol. These weren't even sexy but I was pretty desperate then. I'm sure if I read them now I would find them trash.

Didn't they rise up out of bunkers and go on adventures together? I remember one with a King Arthur style story, one with sexist prehistoric cave dwellers... Gold. Pure gold.

1. If they aren't being paid for this they are bigger idiots than I thought. Or does Derick see it as "volunteering" publicity.

2. They aren't comics you idiot.

3. SHUT UP DERICK 

3 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

The church told me animals don't have a soul. I never believed another thing those asshats had to say.

rex.jpg

3 minutes ago, artdecades said:

1. If they aren't being paid for this they are bigger idiots than I thought. Or does Derick see it as "volunteering" publicity.

2. They aren't comics you idiot.

3. SHUT UP DERICK 

I think that says New Economics books from Mima. 

I thought it said Comics at first too. 

12 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I think that says New Economics books from Mima. 

I thought it said Comics at first too. 

You’re right!  :jawdrop:

My mistake Derick. The shut up still stands. 

13 hours ago, SassyPants said:

To whomever posted the page from the Duggar's book, I think it was in a Dillard thread, that talked about how they paid for Josie's hospitalization.

JB was wordsmithing. There is no way in hell that he turned away the automatic government aid for Josie's care- no way in hell. This is a man with a reputation of taking his family to every kids eat free established in NWA- Chocolate sundaes anyone?

He might not have applied for additional aid, but he sure as hell did not turn down that help when it was offered. No one would.

BBM

Have you ever evaluated the benefits offered through Medicaid?  I have.  Multiple times.

When my daughter was born sick, septic, and about as close to death as a baby can get and survive, she racked up a $120,000 bill in her first 20 minutes of life.  (She is now in her early 20s so consider inflation and escalating health care costs in with that.) We calculated later that she met her deductible with her first breath and her out of pocket maximum before a nurse* administered the sacrament of last rites and wheeled her off to the level 4 NICU.  As soon as I was physically able, we were invited to meet with a hospital financial representative who stated that our child qualified for Medicaid (despite our income) and explained the program to us.  We looked into the program and reevaluated our health insurance and politely declined.  There would be no reason for us to give up our far superior coverage for Medicaid.  We did not want her labeled a Medicaid patient, we did not want Medicaid limits placed on her care, and we most certainly did not want to deal with the hopeless beuracacy of government controlled health care.  She received state of the art treatment and several "experimental" medications.  Weeks later she was released from her final level of NICU (1) with a bill that weighed more than she did.  We were responsible for our very reasonable - and by today's standards shockingly low - out of pocket maximum.  The insurance company paid the rest.

When she was diagnosed with an "invisible illness" in middle school, and her brother was similarly diagnosed in elementary school we were again told that the kids qualified for Medicaid despite my family's significantly upper middle class income.  Again we looked into it.  Again we found it far inferior to the health insurance that we already had.  Again we politely rejected the offer of coverage.  

You said that "no one" would turn down the offer of government financial help.  I did and, through my volunteer work with Serious Fun camps and just my life as a mom of 2 chronically ill kids, I personally know many families who turned it down.  Admittedly I also know some who jumped at the chance for "free" government health insurance.  Some are happy with their decisions.  Some (I would dare to say most) regret it as soon as they get denied for that brand new uber expensive treatment that many privately insured kids are having success with.  

As much as JB is disliked, I think most people would agree that he is a savvy businessman.  He can crunch the numbers just as well as I can (and have every single year for the last 20+ years). I think it is highly unlikely that he traded what he has repeatedly described as good health insurance for inferior coverage through Medicaid.

*In the Roman Catholic faith in the absence of an ordained priest, any believer can administer the Sacrement of Last Rites to an obviously dying individual.  Many hospitals keep a supply of Holy Water handy in NICUs, ICUs, PICU's, surgical suites, and other locations.

On 3/12/2018 at 8:55 PM, Bad Wolf said:

I can see I failed as a mother. I read Dr. Seuss and Little Bear and the Clumsy Cowboy to my kids. *hangs head in shame* In my defense, no one ever gave me the Tuttle Twins. (I would have burned them.)

Is this some type of brainwashing book?

Come on y'all Derwood is a great philosopher like So-Crates. Dust...wind...dude.

Ten minutes of Jill playing Beeth-Oven on her violin to anyone who gets that reference, totally!

@sleepy_doggos Yes! And they all had to make sacrifices to show their loyalty to Gael (or something like that. My brain read it as male-Gail), like the pretty girl got slashed across the face and had to accept being ugly as punishment for her sin of vanity. And in the end the whole earth is overtaken by evil and one by one the children are righteously slaughtered. Definitely not sexy-- you must have been desperate! (Oh the puberty monster, lol)

My family was quite secular, it was shocking to me that these stories were marketed towards kids. I would never have been encouraged to read it as a child-- I wouldn't have been forbidden, but my mother would have thought it was pretty morbid and been concerned.

I apologise if this has already been discussed, there is a radar online article about Sam’s birth and Derrick  asking for money from TLC as the Dillard family did not get paid by TLC.

Where is your kids money JimBob?

On 3/12/2018 at 10:02 PM, artdecades said:

I really don’t think Jill has the critical thinking skills to understand why the books are racist and anti-Semitic. 

I think she does and I think saying she doesn't is simply a way for us not to hold her accountable. Easier to attack Derick for some reason. 

11 hours ago, viii said:

Oh, the Left Behind series. I was raised in a very religious cult, and the Rapture was so heavily preached. I was TERRIFIED that my entire family would be raptured, and I'd be left behind. It gave me such bad anxiety to the point where if my mom was running to the store, she'd leave me a note so I knew where she was. If my parents said they'd be home at 7 pm and it was 7:10 and they weren't home yet, I would be calling them over and over and thinking - who else has been left behind? Who can I call?

I am convinced 100% that the whole rapture belief is what gave me anxiety that I STILL suffer from today. 

Sorry you had to go through with this. I too had anxiety about the rapture for years and years and years as a teen and so forth. Finally, I convinced myself that folks had been talking about the rapture since biblical times. I concluded it was long off still. That was before I left my fundie-lite church. I do think it is an exceptionally difficult concept for children and teens to grasp and should be handled with care.

45 minutes ago, Percy said:

I apologise if this has already been discussed, there is a radar online article about Sam’s birth and Derrick  asking for money from TLC as the Dillard family did not get paid by TLC.

Where is your kids money JimBob?

They fucked up their article. I swear they see few words here, throw them in a jar with some more words and pull some out in no particular order sometimes.

On 12/03/2018 at 8:29 PM, SapphireSlytherin said:

You're assuming Jill understands the concept of irony.

She probably thinks that it's what you do to shirts to get the creases out.... 

9 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

The tag "Fuck this guy" needs to be added to any Derick thread

Here's what I don't understand about Christians who complain about "God not being allowed in schools." If you're religious, you carry God with you where ever you go. So technically God *is* in school with you. Why do you need a poster to prove it? Do you complain about the mall or your local Taco Bell not having "In God We Trust" signs too?

20 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Here's what I don't understand about Christians who complain about "God not being allowed in schools." If you're religious, you carry God with you where ever you go. So technically God *is* in school with you. Why do you need a poster to prove it? Do you complain about the mall or your local Taco Bell not having "In God We Trust" signs too?

There are "In God We Trust" signs at the mall and Taco Bell.   They're on the dollar bills we use to sanctify the exchange of goods and services in the kingdom of free-market capitalism.

3 minutes ago, Drala said:

There are "In God We Trust" signs at the mall and Taco Bell.   They're on the dollar bills we use to sanctify the exchange of goods and services in the kingdom of free-market capitalism.

I doubt anyone takes a look at their money and thinks "Oh look, in God we trust. Right there on the bill. God is good."

I suppose they could put "God is good" on their debit cards. 

36 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

With you here! God IS allowed in schools. My high school had a student led/run club for Christian students. Faculty cannot lead students in prayer in schools. But if a student decides on their own to pray, nobody is stopping them. 

Also these Christians want Christianity's God in school. Being Jewish myself, I find that in conflict with my first amendment rights. But I think certain people only care about the second amendment so :shrug:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived