IGNORED

Dillards 53: Making Assumptions and Indoctrinating the Children

Jellybean

Guess who is playing the Scripture game on twitter.  (and let me point out that today is the 14th so he's still pulling pithy scriptures out of Proverbs which he is reading one Proverb every day)

Now personally I prefer the ESV but since he appears to like KJV or NKJV I can play along (thank you You Version)

5A faithful witness will not lie: but a false witness will utter lies. Proverbs 14:5

8The wisdom of the prudent is to understand his way: but the folly of fools is deceit. Proverbs 14:8

and oh look here:

16A wise man feareth, and departeth from evil: but the fool rageth, and is confident.

Proverbs 14:16

17He that is soon angry dealeth foolishly: and a man of wicked devices is hated. Proverbs 14:17

21He that despiseth his neighbour sinneth: but he that hath mercy on the poor, happy is he. Proverbs 14:21

See Derick - anyone can pull a Proverb verse out and do with it what they want.  Anyone.  Knock that crap off.  

More here https://www.bible.com/bible/1/PRO.14.kjv

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

With you here! God IS allowed in schools. My high school had a student led/run club for Christian students. Faculty cannot lead students in prayer in schools. But if a student decides on their own to pray, nobody is stopping them. 

Also these Christians want Christianity's God in school. Being Jewish myself, I find that in conflict with my first amendment rights. But I think certain people only care about the second amendment so :shrug:

The issue of Christianity in public schools infuriates me. We aren't Christian either, and if my kids would've tried to start an after-school club in for their beliefs the outcry would've been staggering. But of course it's ok that there are several Christian-based clubs from elementary to high school. 

There are people that believe that the 1st Amendment was written to mean that you can be any type of Christian you wanted. It did not include other faiths such as Islam or Hinduism. In my experience Jews were seen as “potential converts” that have just been “misguided”. Since every single one of the founders of America were god fearing Christians that is obviously what they meant when they wrote the first amendment. Any belief otherwise is an attack on the very fabric of the American nation and the ideals that it was founded on: guns, god, and glory. (Listed in order of importance.)

1 hour ago, fluffernutter said:

The issue of Christianity in public schools infuriates me. We aren't Christian either, and if my kids would've tried to start an after-school club in for their beliefs the outcry would've been staggering. But of course it's ok that there are several Christian-based clubs from elementary to high school. 

I am reminded of people who are saying what is wrong today is we took God out of school and kids should be able to pray. So what denomination or faith? 

9 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

rex.jpg

I love, love, love that. 

14 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Jill has a Instagram live up of her and the boys outside. What strikes me as the most interesting is that I don’t know if we’ve ever heard an unscripted Jill before. In my opinion she had an entirely different kind of tone to her voice when she wasn’t repeating what she was told to say. 

Jill made banana bread for Sam!!!111!1!!!!111! That and the Tuttle Twins books will save that poor child's soul, I'm sure!

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Here's what I don't understand about Christians who complain about "God not being allowed in schools." If you're religious, you carry God with you where ever you go. So technically God *is* in school with you. Why do you need a poster to prove it? Do you complain about the mall or your local Taco Bell not having "In God We Trust" signs too?

There is a Christian author I follow on Facebook. After the Florida school shootings you would see a lot of posts about that. she actually shared an article  posted by someone who was very angry about people saying that. Her point was it is an insult to God, He is in schools. Do people think He is so weak that there are places He can't go? Especially if you are a person of "faith"? 

5 hours ago, LittleOwl said:

She probably thinks that it's what you do to shirts to get the creases out.... 

Capture.JPG

8 hours ago, Born Skeptic said:

BBM

Have you ever evaluated the benefits offered through Medicaid?  I have.  Multiple times.

When my daughter was born sick, septic, and about as close to death as a baby can get and survive, she racked up a $120,000 bill in her first 20 minutes of life.  (She is now in her early 20s so consider inflation and escalating health care costs in with that.) We calculated later that she met her deductible with her first breath and her out of pocket maximum before a nurse* administered the sacrament of last rites and wheeled her off to the level 4 NICU.  As soon as I was physically able, we were invited to meet with a hospital financial representative who stated that our child qualified for Medicaid (despite our income) and explained the program to us.  We looked into the program and reevaluated our health insurance and politely declined.  There would be no reason for us to give up our far superior coverage for Medicaid.  We did not want her labeled a Medicaid patient, we did not want Medicaid limits placed on her care, and we most certainly did not want to deal with the hopeless beuracacy of government controlled health care.  She received state of the art treatment and several "experimental" medications.  Weeks later she was released from her final level of NICU (1) with a bill that weighed more than she did.  We were responsible for our very reasonable - and by today's standards shockingly low - out of pocket maximum.  The insurance company paid the rest.

When she was diagnosed with an "invisible illness" in middle school, and her brother was similarly diagnosed in elementary school we were again told that the kids qualified for Medicaid despite my family's significantly upper middle class income.  Again we looked into it.  Again we found it far inferior to the health insurance that we already had.  Again we politely rejected the offer of coverage.  

You said that "no one" would turn down the offer of government financial help.  I did and, through my volunteer work with Serious Fun camps and just my life as a mom of 2 chronically ill kids, I personally know many families who turned it down.  Admittedly I also know some who jumped at the chance for "free" government health insurance.  Some are happy with their decisions.  Some (I would dare to say most) regret it as soon as they get denied for that brand new uber expensive treatment that many privately insured kids are having success with.  

As much as JB is disliked, I think most people would agree that he is a savvy businessman.  He can crunch the numbers just as well as I can (and have every single year for the last 20+ years). I think it is highly unlikely that he traded what he has repeatedly described as good health insurance for inferior coverage through Medicaid.

*In the Roman Catholic faith in the absence of an ordained priest, any believer can administer the Sacrement of Last Rites to an obviously dying individual.  Many hospitals keep a supply of Holy Water handy in NICUs, ICUs, PICU's, surgical suites, and other locations.

I worked in level 4 NIcus for 35 years. For 20 of those years, the unit was in a very poor, urban city. The level of care those medicaid covered infants received was no different than the care received by those infants who had  additional plans- and just because you accept the government assisted plan, does not mean that your other insurance goes away, at least not in CA where I practiced. JB would have traded away nothing- it would have been used as a supplement.

Again, I doubt he would have declined those additional monies. I wouldn't- most people wouldn't.

20 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Mother of the Year here - I let my kid watch Barney.

When One was born, my SIL gave me these VHS tapes she'd gotten for her youngest... Barney tapes. One seemed to like them.. but they dragged, and were so clunky. I still shudder to remember back to some of those songs... it's been 26 years...

6 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

When One was born, my SIL gave me these VHS tapes she'd gotten for her youngest... Barney tapes. One seemed to like them.. but they dragged, and were so clunky. I still shudder to remember back to some of those songs... it's been 26 years...

Every so often when I am brushing my teeth I will sing to myself "brushing my teeth, I'm having so much but I never let the water run...."

there is also a restaurant near me named Hank's Farm. the first time we decided to eat there, I was singing "we're on our way to grandpa's farm" saying Hank instead. 

Another raised Catholic here who was taught about the Rapture but in the context of "we don't believe that."  We didn't have Fox's book or books like "HELL plus how to avoid HELL" and "Yes!  Yes!  It IS a sin!" (Real titles) until I was entering my teenage years but we had some beautifully illustrated books of the saints that did a number on me.  The picture of Saint Agatha with her breasts on a plate or Joan of Arc burning at the stake didn't phase me, but the story and message of Maria Goretti (better dead and pure than raped) was devastating as a survivor of CSA and after I developed chronic health problems in my teens my mother thought it helpful to dig out those books and show me all the people who had handled adversity and pain with more grace and a better attitude.  

I was wondering if any other Catholics had parents that went in for the three days of darkness https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Days_of_Darkness  My mom was heavily into that, it was coming any day now, we had to be prepared - but she did nothing except get a few blessed beeswax candles and a few gallons of water.  For years I thought about where to hide and how to cover the windows so we couldn't see out and be set upon by demons, because the curtains were too thin to offer protection.  

Since Derick is all into believing the alt-right mythology of an America that used to be super soaked in Christian Godliness until the evil liberals overpowered him, I wonder what he thinks of article 11 of the treaty of Tripoli - As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen; and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Or one of my favorite quotes by a founding fathee, Thomas Paine - "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst; every other species of tyranny is limited to the world we live in; but this attempts to stride beyond the grave, and seeks to pursue us into eternity.”

9 hours ago, Born Skeptic said:

We did not want her labeled a Medicaid patient, we did not want Medicaid limits placed on her care, and we most certainly did not want to deal with the hopeless beuracacy of government controlled health care.  

Well, bless your heart.  Imagine having your child labeled a Medicaid patient.  How horrible to admit that a child not be born with a silver spoon in her mouth.

FWIW, Medicaid patients are also human beings worthy of respect and medical attention. Money has absolutely nothing to do with morality, which appears to be an embedded assumption in your claims. Choosing to refuse Medicaid doesn't make you better, and accepting it doesn't make others worse.  You may know some people who refused it, but that doesn't mean that the vast majority do.  And if they accept Medicaid, they're often making a life-saving choice for their family. Your heaps of criticism upon a program that actually does save lives is offensive to some of us who've utilized its services. 

11 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

Imagine having your child labeled a Medicaid patient. 

I assumed she meant labeled in the hospital, with the assumption that the baby would somehow be treated differently - not "labeled" by society as "less than" another baby.

So, what I really want to know is-   Is Derick's Twitter ranting and passive aggressive beef with TLC/JimBob going to interfere with his  running out into the aisle after Josiah and Lauren's ceremony and making a spectacle of taking Jill away from her assigned groomsman and obnoxiously dipping and kissing her?

(Made a strong assumption there that Jill will be a bridesmaid in Josiah's wedding. )

14 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

Well, bless your heart.  Imagine having your child labeled a Medicaid patient.  How horrible to admit that a child not be born with a silver spoon in her mouth.

FWIW, Medicaid patients are also human beings worthy of respect and medical attention. Money has absolutely nothing to do with morality, which appears to be an embedded assumption in your claims. Choosing to refuse Medicaid doesn't make you better, and accepting it doesn't make others worse.  You may know some people who refused it, but that doesn't mean that the vast majority do.  And if they accept Medicaid, they're often making a life-saving choice for their family. Your heaps of criticism upon a program that actually does save lives is offensive to some of us who've utilized its services. 

My mother, who is currently in a nursing home with dementia, had to go on Medicaid. My parents worked their whole lives, worked hard, but there is no way they could afford the 6-7K a month a good nursing home charges. My dad is the communal spouse, they own their home and one car.... the man has to eat. He has some savings accounts and isn't poor just a bit above average, but he couldn't afford a year of her care. They never in all their lives and mine, took anything from the government. 

4 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I assumed she meant labeled in the hospital, with the assumption that the baby would somehow be treated differently - not "labeled" by society as "less than" another baby.

Yes, but there are some other highly classist claims embedded in there, too. IDK of any medical care provider who has looked down on anyone, especially a baby or child, for not having as much access to insurance as other babies. IDK what it's like in other states, but in CA, you can still get good quality care through Medicaid.

3 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

My mother, who is currently in a nursing home with dementia, had to go on Medicaid. My parents worked their whole lives, worked hard, but there is no way they could afford the 6-7K a month a good nursing home charges. My dad is the communal spouse, they own their home and one car.... the man has to eat. He has some savings accounts and isn't poor just a bit above average, but he couldn't afford a year of her care. They never in all their lives and mine, took anything from the government. 

Of course not.  They earned it. Government programs should be by the people, for the people. Help when you can, and accept help when you need to. 

5 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

Of course not.  They earned it. Government programs should be by the people, for the people. Help when you can, and accept help when you need to. 

Thank you. I had a friend of a friend yell at me that we are sponging off the government etc..... I told him don't shout too loudly as he has an elderly parent. 

27 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

If she could speak, my daughter affected with autism would thank you. Medicaid pays for her behavioral, speech and occupational therapies. And these things have made a huge difference in her life. 

2 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Thank you. I had a friend of a friend yell at me that we are sponging off the government etc..... I told him don't shout too loudly as he has an elderly parent. 

Absurd. Amazing to think that ill, elderly people who've worked their whole lives should somehow pick themselves up from their bootstraps. What a fucknugget that friend of a friend is.

I never wanted to be 'labelled' as anything. I didn't want to be labelled as someone who had problems, I didn't want to be labelled as someone who needed help, I didn't want to be labelled as someone with a disability, and I didn't want to be labelled as someone on government assistance. Why? Pride. The result? I shot myself in the foot over and over again. If not for my frankly arrogant distaste for 'being labelled', I could have gotten more help sooner and (if you really want to look at it with a 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps' mentality), been less of a burden on my family and on society.

7 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

Absurd. Amazing to think that ill, elderly people who've worked their whole lives should somehow pick themselves up from their bootstraps. What a fucknugget that friend of a friend is.

I was told I should quit my job and stay home and take care of her. If I didn't work, I would have no home, insurance or be able to pay my bills..... then I would need to go on public assistance.... This person has no idea what it is like to take care of a person in late stage dementia. Medications, illnesses, everything involved, you would need 24 medical care in the home. 

And if you have a hospital/doctor/nurse treating you based on your insurance, time to find a new hospital/doctor/nurse. In 20 years of nursing, I can't remember one time that I looked at a patients insurance info and based my care on that. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived