IGNORED

Dillards 53: Making Assumptions and Indoctrinating the Children

Jellybean

28 minutes ago, BabyBottlePop said:

Speaking of child indoctrination, for a while my friend group was into the Left Behind: The Kids series. Freaked me out a bit much to get too far into them. Being raised Catholic I got really scared by the whole rapture thing because I didn't understand how good people didn't get raptured. 

Oh, the Left Behind series. I was raised in a very religious cult, and the Rapture was so heavily preached. I was TERRIFIED that my entire family would be raptured, and I'd be left behind. It gave me such bad anxiety to the point where if my mom was running to the store, she'd leave me a note so I knew where she was. If my parents said they'd be home at 7 pm and it was 7:10 and they weren't home yet, I would be calling them over and over and thinking - who else has been left behind? Who can I call?

I am convinced 100% that the whole rapture belief is what gave me anxiety that I STILL suffer from today. 

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was pretty pissed off when I found out that The Girl Who Owned a City was supposedly meant to introduce kids to libertarian ideology, because I loved that book when I read it in grade 7. If that was truly its goal, I can confirm that it failed miserably!

16 minutes ago, viii said:

Oh, the Left Behind series. I was raised in a very religious cult, and the Rapture was so heavily preached. I was TERRIFIED that my entire family would be raptured, and I'd be left behind. It gave me such bad anxiety to the point where if my mom was running to the store, she'd leave me a note so I knew where she was. If my parents said they'd be home at 7 pm and it was 7:10 and they weren't home yet, I would be calling them over and over and thinking - who else has been left behind? Who can I call?

I am convinced 100% that the whole rapture belief is what gave me anxiety that I STILL suffer from today. 

Yikes! I would imagine. 

Have any of you read The Seven Sleepers series? My husband had it in a box from childhood and I'll read anything...

It's the story of Revelations for the tween crowd. Absolutely terrifying. 

47 minutes ago, BabyBottlePop said:

Speaking of child indoctrination, for a while my friend group was into the Left Behind: The Kids series. Freaked me out a bit much to get too far into them. Being raised Catholic I got really scared by the whole rapture thing because I didn't understand how good people didn't get raptured. 

As a Catholic, I didn't hear about the rapture until I was an adult. Thank god I didn't because it would have scared me. 

4 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

`As a Catholic, I didn't hear about the rapture until I was an adult. Thank god I didn't because it would have scared me. 

Also raised RC and didn’t know about the Rapture. Still haven’t bothered to look it up. Maybe I’ll do that now. I was scared enough about the potential of Hell for a varied number of reasons. 

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I mean, the Smurfs are antisemitic and racist too, nothing is safe anymore. :pb_lol: 

And sexist. Don’t forget sexist.

8 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

As a Catholic, I didn't hear about the rapture until I was an adult. Thank god I didn't because it would have scared me. 

Grew up Mainline Protestant and didn't hear about it either, until a friend's family joined some very evangelical/charismatic church. Then I heard way more than I ever cared to about it, and lots of other scary religious warnings! But I was a teenager so fortunately the situation wasn't upsetting, just off-putting. 

1 minute ago, December said:

Grew up Mainline Protestant and didn't hear about it either, until a friend's family joined some very evangelical/charismatic church. Then I heard way more than I ever cared to about it, and lots of other scary religious warnings! But I was a teenager so fortunately the situation wasn't upsetting, just off-putting. 

Same. My best friend's family joined a super-evangelical church and went all charismatic. They allowed jeans and makeup, though. Anyway - the mom started speaking in tongues right after they told me all about the rapture. I was scared shitless. Even still, though, I preferred being at their house because her parents didn't have batshit crazy rules. lol

17 hours ago, artdecades said:

Looking through it now. I am entirely convinced this is a #sponcon situation and either they are lying about Cathy buying them for the kids or Cathy was paid to give it to them or both.  The brand even has an affiliate program so they are probably making money from books sold too.

I am still trying to get caught up but wanted to respond to this. If you think it’s undisclosed sponsorship report it to IG. 

My personal favourite book was Little Blue Ben, he lived in the glen with his brother blue cat, and his mother blue hen. Don't ask me how that happened, I'm not sure. However, blue hen, blue cat, and tiny blue human all live in harmony. :) Derick should read children's books, real ones, they might teach him something. 

Jill has a Instagram live up of her and the boys outside. What strikes me as the most interesting is that I don’t know if we’ve ever heard an unscripted Jill before. In my opinion she had an entirely different kind of tone to her voice when she wasn’t repeating what she was told to say. 

7 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

For me, a big part of being fundie is aggressively pushing your personal and religious beliefs on others, feeling that your way is the only way people should live, and thinking that people are inferior if they don't toe your line. 

The bolded is me. I do feel that my way is, maybe not the only, but definitly the best way. But I try to keep it only in my own head, I know that it’s wrong and I’m working hard on not being so judgemental. 

The Dillards I judge though. A lot. And if I ever met one of them face to face (the horror!) I would not be able to keep sweet. 

3 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

Not sure how long that Left Behind/rapture stuff has been around.  I first encountered it when I was 17, nearly 40 years ago, when a supervisor felt sure it would be any day now.  She died before she could be raptured up.

Yes, it's been around for a while. My mom was born in the 60's, and was shown a video called A Thief in the Night when she was young about the rapture/end times and it terrified her. So of course she showed it to us when we were young kids and I had nightmares about getting my head chopped off because I was left behind and didn't take the mark of the beast. 

35 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

The bolded is me. I do feel that my way is, maybe not the only, but definitly the best way. But I try to keep it only in my own head, I know that it’s wrong and I’m working hard on not being so judgemental. 

But, surely we all feel this way - that what we believe is ‘correct’?  Otherwise we’d believe something else, wouldn’t we?  

3 hours ago, viii said:

I had the same experience. It was horrible. Those fears seem to be pretty common too among kids who were raised with the belief in the rapture.

On 3/12/2018 at 10:40 AM, CaricatureQualities said:

Here is a highlight from Creature of Jekyll Island

It depicts white Grandpa having all his hard earned money stolen from a great monster (The Federal Reserve I think). Poor Grandpa

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.3b38cfa8122d4dbf024c81164d877025.png

Below is a link to an article reviewing the Tuttle Twins book and also explaining the concept of the original by G. Edward Griffin and the Federal Reserve and the meeting on Jekyll Island in 1910 and the idea that silver and gold should become the only legal tender. 

Crazy stuff. Apparently 6-10 year olds will grasp these concepts in their entirety with glee and zeal.

The excerpt you shared from this book has me SEVERELY inspired again. Derick should publish his own version. Or his mom.

tuttletwins.thumb.png.4445d5461bd7b47e4bdc9eb08eb430b9.png

You can hire me any day now, Dillards!

54 minutes ago, mizandry said:

tuttletwins.thumb.png.4445d5461bd7b47e4bdc9eb08eb430b9.png

This is HILARIOUSLY genius.

Gee, with the “A lot of Assumptions HAVE BEEN made” and “Answer Them Nothing: Bringing Down The Quiverfull Empire of Duggar” book mockups in this thread and now this masterpiece of yours today, I am crying laughing. :tw_bawling:

This thread is starting to rival the Bro Gary thread in terms of comedic relief!!!!

We’re practically able to bankroll the Dillards with book ideas in this thread!

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

I had the same experience. It was horrible. Those fears seem to be pretty common too among kids who were raised with the belief in the rapture.

The church told me animals don't have a soul. I never believed another thing those asshats had to say.

Way to go church!  You did me a big favour and I thank-you!

Thank you for indulging me, @luv2laugh :my_biggrin: I hope Cathy unblocks me from Twitter so we can work out some kind of FreeJinger deal for Derick's tell all/children's book.  He'd have to work so hard otherwise :-( And we're already churning the drafts out!  I'd buy all of them. 

;)

The concept of the Rapture is relatively new within the history of Christian Theology. It presupposes a premillennialist dispensation outlook which only came to be as we know it in 1827 in the thought of John Nelson Darby, an English member of the Plymouth Brethren. Darby’s ideas spread throughout the US among low church Protestants of all types until it became the most commonly accepted eschatological theory. However, until the Civil War, the post-millennial view was more common in the US, with the post-revolutionary period in particular being interpreted as a sign that the millenium was at hand.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived