IGNORED

Dillards 53: Making Assumptions and Indoctrinating the Children

Jellybean

Here is a highlight from Creature of Jekyll Island

It depicts white Grandpa having all his hard earned money stolen from a great monster (The Federal Reserve I think). Poor Grandpa

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.3b38cfa8122d4dbf024c81164d877025.png

Below is a link to an article reviewing the Tuttle Twins book and also explaining the concept of the original by G. Edward Griffin and the Federal Reserve and the meeting on Jekyll Island in 1910 and the idea that silver and gold should become the only legal tender. 

Crazy stuff. Apparently 6-10 year olds will grasp these concepts in their entirety with glee and zeal.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be shocked, shocked to hear that these Tuttle Twins books have a mild scent of anti-semitism to them. Shocked, I tells ya!

Is Derick going to load up his family, move to Alaska, acquire lots of guns, live off the grid (except for a gas powered generator to keep the twitter machine, going, natch!) and bitch about the feds? 

I don't even know where to start with commenting on these Tuttle books. They are certainly interesting for adults to study, I wish I could get at them without buying them and I don't think they're in my library system. I'd like to read the complete stories and see all the illustrations, esp. in light of the works they were based on. Just because they seem like a goldmine of WTF moments and I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around everything going on in these books as an adult.

Some things I have noticed: The twins themselves and all the main protagonist characters they adventure with are white, American and Christian and presumably wealthy.

The twins identified as Christian in the first book and apparently the only mention of God in the whole series is when neighbour Fred explains to them that "all our rights come from God". So I guess it doesn't have to be mentioned anymore since it is already established in the first book that the characters and therefore the assumed audience believe in God Jesus Christ (the author is a Mormon himself). The non-white characters seem to be side characters (caricatures) and are often (perhaps only?) depicted as stereotypes. The protagonist characters seem to already hold wealth or own land, have property and, are portrayed as victims when those things are threatened to be taken away by whatever it is. Not a lot of focus on potential characters who don't already have those things and what their situations are.

Illustration wise they seem like a Where's Waldo of Stereotypes, if you look hard you can find some on every page.

3 minutes ago, CaricatureQualities said:

I don't even know where to start with commenting on these Tuttle books. They are certainly interesting for adults to study, I wish I could get at them without buying them and I don't think they're in my library system. I'd like to read the complete stories and see all the illustrations, esp. in light of the works they were based on. Just because they seem like a goldmine of WTF moments and I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around everything going on in these books as an adult.

Some things I have noticed: The twins themselves and all the main protagonist characters they adventure with are white, American and Christian and presumably wealthy.

The twins identified as Christian in the first book and apparently the only mention of God in the whole series is when neighbour Fred explains to them that "all our rights come from God". So I guess it doesn't have to be mentioned anymore since it is already established in the first book that the characters and therefore the assumed audience believe in God Jesus Christ (the author is a Mormon himself). The non-white characters seem to be side characters (caricatures) and are often (perhaps only?) depicted as stereotypes. The protagonist characters seem to already hold wealth or own land, have property and, are portrayed as victims when those things are threatened to be taken away by whatever it is. Not a lot of focus on potential characters who don't already have those things and what their situations are.

Illustration wise they seem like a Where's Waldo of Stereotypes, if you look hard you can find some on every page.

If your library has Interlibrary Loan, ask if they can get them for you. 

I don't know the whole as many as good will give us thing seems to change from couple to couple even within the same religion. Alyssa and John said they only wanted 6-8 we'll see Erin claims to have left the Godhard church. (not sure about that she's the wackadoo who had a birthday cake at her wedding for him)  and Jeremy well his own views are harmful he seems to vere away from the Duggar's in their stricter view points so him and JInger having 5-8 kids I could see. maybe his church is like the one Steve Maxwell went to before the reversal babies that found it okay to have a vasectomy. 

I gotta say though, what GREAT bedtime reading material.  One of my best friends is a federal tax attorney, so she often ENJOYS talking about stuff like the Federal Reserve, tax law, etc.  

Let me tell you guys, it is a TOTAL snoozefest.  Even when you are trying REALLY HARD to be interested.  Toddlers don't stand a chance.  

1 hour ago, CaricatureQualities said:

Author Conor Boyack is also the founder of the Libertas Institute and based each of the Tuttle Twins books on libertarian classics:

The Tuttle Twins Search for Atlas = Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

The Tuttle Twins Learn About the Law, is a children’s version of Frédéric Bastiat’s The Law, written in 1850

The Tuttle Twins and the Road to Surfdom, is based on the award-winning book by Nobel laureate economist Friedrich A. Hayek

Tuttle Twins and the Miraculous Pencil = Leonard Read’s I, Pencil,

The Tuttle Twins and the Food Truck Fiasco = Henrey Hazlitt’s Economics in One Lesson

The Tuttle Twins and the Creature from Jekyll Island = The Creature from Jekyll Island: A Second Look at the Federal Reserve, by G. Edward Griffin

Thank you for this. When I first saw the Jekyll island one on the site I had an uncomfortable feeling about the octopus. The greedy, stealing octopus is a fixture in anti Semitic propaganda. if You google you can find multiple examples from the past and present using it. I wasn’t sure if I was reading into it or it was a legit dogwhistle  

Now that I have looked up the work inspiring the Tuttle book and the author, I have no doubt that it is anti-Semitic.

I've said it before, I'm gonna say it again: there's a big difference between "accepting all the children the Lord sends' and what the Duggars did, which I believe was to actively court pregnancy after pregnancy. JUST BECAUSE it's bedtime (or happy time, or afternoon, or sleazy time) doesn't MEAN you have to do the deed.

And "leaving it up to Michelle?" That's a cop out, because JB was always there with his dick hanging out, wasn't he?

3 hours ago, Georgiana said:

So prepper Fred is a moron.  What are you supposing, prepper Fred?  That needy people are going to go door to door asking for food so you can get some out of your pantry for them?  That sounds terrible for EVERYONE.

Wouldn't it be better for everyone if we just had all the food at one location?  Probably!  Then you wouldn't need to be bothered, Prepper Fred, you could just drop your food off.  And you know, we'd probably have one person in charge of telling people what to buy so that the bank has a variety of food and not the world's largest collection of beans.  That makes sense, right?

But buying and dropping food off is sort of a hassle.  Maybe instead everyone in the community could just give money to the food place, and then the food place could buy what they know people need.  That's SO much easier, right Fred?  Saved you MULTIPLE trips.  

But you still have to remember to write a check to the food place, and if you don't it's really awkward if they have to come after you, right?  Lame.  What if they just KNEW everyone in the community wanted to donate, and so they just automatically took out a certain portion of your income or purchases to use to help stock the food place?  That's SO EASY. 

And that's how taxes and food banks work, Fred, you absolute moron.  Way to make things harder on yourself to prove a point.  

But if you are choosing to give money to help or it's deducted, then you can't ask each hungry person who comes to you for food for a righteousness test, means test, or work ethic test. Someone might be there wrong color, ethnicity, or religion, and you want to look them in the eye, so you can first ask them to receive your religion, or so you can look them in the eye and say, "sucks to be you"!

@artdecades I also got some vaguely anti-Semitic vibes from some of the pages I've seen....

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.1fa00b57cc03b2a40e27a94bc5c88d9f.png

Who are the "bad people" who "began acting like a sneaky creature, stealing some of the metal"?!? Are they sneakily referring to Jews?!

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.d88fedf38deaa5e2434a9c6ed947d416.png

In Germany before WW2 "the creature in that country had created so much new money that it became little more than the paper it was printed on." Hmmm. I didn't know about the octopus being an anti-Semitic symbol. This is adding up to be no good.

22 minutes ago, artdecades said:

Thank you for this. When I first saw the Jekyll island one on the site I had an uncomfortable feeling about the octopus. The greedy, stealing octopus is a fixture in anti Semitic propaganda. if You google you can find multiple examples from the past and present using it. I wasn’t sure if I was reading into it or it was a legit dogwhistle  

Now that I have looked up the work inspiring the Tuttle book and the author, I have no doubt that it is anti-Semitic.

Google the author's name "Connor Boyack" and words like "Israel" and "Jews".  Guy is a straightup antisemite and self-described "Mormon anarchist."

He has blog posts with titles such as: http://www.connorboyack.com/blog/why-i-do-not-pledge-allegiance-to-the-flag

Fine company you are hanging out with, Derick and Cathy.

3 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

@Jellybean check this potential one out LOL.  It sort of makes sense. It could be a way of compiling all of his  twitter tweets into one book a la Lori A.'s way of writing her books utilizing her blog posts. This could be a potential sequel?
5aa6a5d47abd1_AnswerthemNothingBookFINAL.jpg.a49692edf8b0f445749d3c78eda5e921.jpg

Based off of Answer Them Nothing: Bringing down the Polygamous Empire of Warren Jeffs

5aa6a5da7c466_WARRENJEFFS.JPG.9a5e726099244b81848c50d0e77d529f.JPG

I LOVE this! It’s completely amazing!

I don’t think I’ve ever used the WTF response so much on any other thread. Ugh! What hateful, ugly, anti-almost-everything-good, messed up shit. I almost want to cry. It seems far too close to eugenics and the survival of the fittest, which doesn’t sound like any community to which I would want to belong. Ugh again!

Wow, just finished reading the last two threads, what a rollercoaster. 

Why the hell would anyone write books about economics for preschool kids? They're not going to understand them and as someone earlier said they probably only like the pictures and the fact that a grown-up is reading to them.

Spoiler
Spoiler

image.png.d2f57f07b2c3ffeece44244d9887b94f.png

And here is a page from the book Jill posted about, in which the Twins learn how to influence the media: "When they learned a couple of 9-year-old-children were planning a protest, reporters seemed very interested in coming to the event." A bit on the nose when you consider Dericks remarks about Parkland students being used by the media.

Spoiler

image.png.b6c2f8dc8bdefba975d743d7b788d3d8.png

And here is another page about how to behave or not behave in front of cameras and manipulate the media.

Is it possible for someone to call out Jill on Instagram about the sketchy nature of the Tuttle twins? I don’t think she’d care, but I do think that other people should know what kind of right wing crap she’s hawking and supporting.

There was a really astute comment on the Subreddit linked in Dillard Thread 52 - I thought it might be shareable:

[–]optimisma 52 points 3 days ago 
When you realize that he becomes super condescending the millisecond he is challenged, it puts a whole new light on her "best hubby" posts on IG/twitter. Those posts suddenly look more like appeasement to keep the mistreatment at bay rather than simple bragging about how happy her life is. 

From here: https://www.reddit.com/r/DuggarsSnark/comments/832ar8/derick_dillard_and_the_twitter_tantrum/

33 minutes ago, unsafetydancer said:

Why the hell would anyone write books about economics for preschool kids? They're not going to understand them and as someone earlier said they probably only like the pictures and the fact that a grown-up is reading to them.

The author didn't write them for pre-school kids, that would be silly....he wrote them for 7 year-olds. :roll:They are allegedly for introducing the principles of liberty to your child and marketed towards kids 6-10.  I dunno, I am much older than that and using all my education and post-secondary education and acquired wisdom to try to comprehend what I'm seeing in these books so I don't know how the average 7 yo would do...

:dontgetit:

On the Tuttle twins website, it says:

Spoiler

Each year, hundreds of millions of children are spoon-fed false history, bad economics, and logical fallacies. Your child is not immune.

And these books will help do that for your child! :my_sleepy: Make sure it’s the right kind of indoctrination. 

20 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Is it possible for someone to call out Jill on Instagram about the sketchy nature of the Tuttle twins? I don’t think she’d care, but I do think that other people should know what kind of right wing crap she’s hawking and supporting.

There's some REALLY interesting discussion on her insta, about these books. Or there was, a couple of hours ago.

27 minutes ago, unsafetydancer said:

Wow, just finished reading the last two threads, what a rollercoaster. 

Kids don't have wallets and they don't buy books.  Parents do.  A lot of parents just look for what's virtuous or educational (in their mind) and don't have a good sense of what's age-appropriate or entertaining for a little.  

(Also... Dreamy Sleepy Nighty Snoozy Snooze?  Me, I prefer the Windolene or Toilet Duck... hahahah)

1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

I gotta say though, what GREAT bedtime reading material.  One of my best friends is a federal tax attorney, so she often ENJOYS talking about stuff like the Federal Reserve, tax law, etc.  

Let me tell you guys, it is a TOTAL snoozefest.  Even when you are trying REALLY HARD to be interested.  Toddlers don't stand a chance.  

Either does Jill- or most sane people.

44 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Google the author's name "Connor Boyack" and words like "Israel" and "Jews".  Guy is a straightup antisemite and self-described "Mormon anarchist."

Surely Jill might see the irony of reading his books to a little kid named Israel, right???

Derrick would be the first to be screaming and frothing over a book like Heather Has Two Mommies. The hypocrisy is so blatant!

1 minute ago, nickelodeon said:

Surely Jill might see the irony of reading his books to a little kid named Israel, right???

I’m surprised they’d read a book by a hell-bent Mormon.

6 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

You're assuming Jill understands the concept of irony.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived