IGNORED

Bontragers and Bowers 2

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I just perused Joshua the wannabepreacher's list of recommended books: http://joshuabontrager.com/library/  

So many of the usual fundy suspects, including the Perls. He's got Orwell's Animal Farm, but not Orwell's 1984.  Not surprising.

He mentions his wife loves books, but he doesn't deign to share any of her recommendations with us.

He loves him some Charles Spurgeon, so I am still holding out hope for a future Christianwarriormanchild, Spurgeon Bontrager. 

I’ve always thought Josh was probably PISSED when Jessa and Ben named their first Spurgeon. I bet he had that saved up for his first son. So now he must settle for Wallace Bradford instead of Spurgeon Bradford.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course "To Train Up A Child" is in his library. Of course. Let's beat the spirit out of little freedom fighter Wallace with a pvc pipe! 

Alison has a blog post up listing some her favorite fundy films: https://www.fromallison.com/movie-recommendations/

First one is some Stonewall Jackson-humping Bob Jones University monstrosity.

She also lists another Bob Jones productions and writes: "“For a family-safe film showing the gospel and Christian values espoused by our forefathers, this movie is great. It was produced in 1977 by Unusual Films at Bob Jones University, at that time one of the top three films schools in the nation. "

"top three film schools" Alison? Really?  Tops for  what? Racism? Catholic-bashing?

Wow Allison’s movie list SUCKS. I wouldn’t watch much tv or movies either if those were my choices. I might watch 7 Brides and some Shirley Temple and that’s about it. 

45 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Wow Allison’s movie list SUCKS. I wouldn’t watch much tv or movies either if those were my choices. I might watch 7 Brides and some Shirley Temple and that’s about it. 

I know!  Rufus knows I could come up with a better "wholesome" list of movies off the top of my head--

From Sound of Music to Fiddler on the Roof to Ben Hur to How Green Was My Family to the Ten Commandments-- surely there are enough classics out there to meet fundy standards!

26 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I know!  Rufus knows I could come up with a better "wholesome" list of movies off the top of my head--

From Sound of Music to Fiddler on the Roof to Ben Hur to How Green Was My Family to the Ten Commandments-- surely there are enough classics out there to meet fundy standards!

Exactly. Throw some Veggie Tales in there for fucks sake! :tomato:

I love the Andy Griffith show. I grew up watching it along with other older movies and shows. I can’t belive  they skip any of the Andy Griffith show or seven brides for seven brothers. There is nothing but G rated stuff there. I grew up in a conservative Christian family, not fundie or close, and we watched a lot worse than what what I’m that list. We watched things like Alfred Hitchcock movies, Disney movies, and the harlet Lucy Ball from I Love Lucy. You know Lucy and Ricky slept in the same bed. 

1 hour ago, Lgirlrocks said:

I can’t belive  they skip any of the Andy Griffith show or seven brides for seven brothers.

Well, I don't know about the Andy Griffith Show, but I can't help wondering whether the Bonts fast forward through

• "Lonesome Polecat" ("a man can't sleep when he sleeps with sheep" barely made it past the censors), or
  • the dancing in their undies while openly lusting after the men scene, or
  • the scene where all the virgin not-yet-brides claim to have produced the baby because they really want to marry the guy who kidnapped them.

Of course they like Seven Brides.  It is as sexist as hell, but it also sends the message that women can and should reform their men. 

Poor Bonts.  Let me just give them a reality check:  You can not and should not try to change or reform the person you decide to marry.  Therein lies failure.  Marry someone whose values are similar to your own.

But I just love the dancing in that movie. The barn raising is fantastic, and Matt Mattox kicks ass in movement and rhythm on Lonesome Polecat even though he was dubbed in the film. 

Such a dirty song. :)

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Well, I don't know about the Andy Griffith Show, but I can't help wondering whether the Bonts fast forward through

• "Lonesome Polecat" ("a man can't sleep when he sleeps with sheep" barely made it past the censors), or
  • the dancing in their undies while openly lusting after the men scene, or
  • the scene where all the virgin not-yet-brides claim to have produced the baby because they really want to marry the guy who kidnapped them.

Of course they like Seven Brides.  It is as sexist as hell, but it also sends the message that women can and should reform their men. 

Poor Bonts.  Let me just give them a reality check:  You can not and should not try to change or reform the person you decide to marry.  Therein lies failure.  Marry someone whose values are similar to your own.

But I just love the dancing in that movie. The barn raising is fantastic, and Matt Mattox kicks ass in movement and rhythm on Lonesome Polecat even though he was dubbed in the film. 

Such a dirty song. :)

Also, how do those who say "the man is the head of the household" get around the fact that:

1. Milly tells the Pontipee brothers they're basically disgusting jerks and if they don't act the way she says they should they'll never get girlfriends - and they sort of agree with her; 
  2. When the Pontipee brothers abduct the women they have crushes on, Milly kicks them out of the house and makes them sleep in a barn because her husband has to learn that "He can't treat people this way"; 
  3. When her husband says he's going to go live in the mountains because of Milly's bossy ways, Gideon begs her to go make nice with him and she's like NOPE and sticks with the abducted girls while hubby has a months-long tantrum in the mountains.  

It's a sexist movie FOR SURE but Milly's not exactly the "win him without a word" or "keep sweet" maiden that so many fundie sects revere.  

Joshua tells the story of how he got scammed in his computer.  I can't believe he fell for this type of scam-- and why the heck didn't he mention it to any of his family members at the time?

Critical thinking skills, boys and girls!

http://joshuabontrager.com/2018/08/07/what-i-learned-the-day-i-got-scammed/#more-859

PS MY MIL fell for this scam a couple years ago--but she's over 80 and was developing Alzheimer's

I’m grateful I payed only $200 and not $2000 for my crash course in internet scams.

Too bad he didn't pay more attention, then maybe he would not have paid 200 bucks in the first place!

sotdrt....

This right here. This is the consequence of raising your kids cut off from society, and not just refusing to teach them critical thinking skills but actually actively stamping them out. I'm in awe of this kid's stupidity (probably in large part because of the contrast with his constant obnoxious arrogance). Even my grandparents understand that these things are scams. My mind is blown.

The scariest part of all of this is that this guy is responsible for taking care of (and making decisions for :puke-front:) his wife and son. I feel like he's way too immature to have that much responsibility. Hopefully (for their wives sake) his brothers are better 'headships'. 

39 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

The scariest part of all of this is that this guy is responsible for taking care of (and making decisions for :puke-front:) his wife and son. I feel like he's way too immature to have that much responsibility. Hopefully (for their wives sake) his brothers are better 'headships'. 

And the spiritual and marital lesson he should have learned was that his wife is a heck of a lot more internet savvy than he is.

At prompting from my wife, I called my brother-in-law, who quickly assured me that I had been the victim of fraud. First, Apple never calls someone. Second, iTunes gift cards are not multipurpose.

Or, as "Annie" Maxwell would say:  Google it!  It is a very common scam.

After five minutes of persuasion, I realized that my kind, thoughtful, representative had in fact been nothing more than I wolf in sheep’s clothing.

It took five whole minutes!  #unsufferabletwit.

And I just love his spiritual lessons, including:

"4. Deception can only be discerned by God’s Word."

Eh, no.  It can be discerned by using your brains, critical thinking powers, plain common sense, and listening to your wife.  I think she should probably monitor Joshie's computer activity, TBH.  He could fall for another scam any minute.

I love this bit.  This kid thinks talking to a scammer is the "ultimate battle."

The Ultimate Battle

After my brother-in-law persuaded me that I had been scammed, Alex called back. After answering the phone, I confronted him with his deception and theft. I assured him iTunes gift cards were not multipurpose and exhorted him to bring forth fruits worthy of repentance. I told him I forgave him, but that his sin would certainly find him out.

And Alex tried not to laugh his socks off.  This little lamb was worth another shot at fleecing.

I should not have been shocked by what I heard next.

No.  It does show what an innocent you are.  And, FFS, you have already fathered a child when you aren't safe out on your own!

After hearing the truth, Alex expostulated, claiming that I, in fact, was the one who was mistaken. I should have known that he would not feel any pang of remorse or twinge of regret, for he had come to practice depiction as a way of life.

I expect he is very good at it.  I also expect he did not anticipate being exhorted.  Threatened with legal action, perhaps, but not told off by a little Christian boy who doesn't know his way around the internet. 

Don't get me wrong, I disapprove strongly of scammers, but there is no need for Joshie to be so naive and astounded that some people have less than honest ways to make a living.

I will rejoice when the day finally arrives when arrogant young Joshie learns a modicum of humility and comes to the understanding that he does not know it all and has a whole lot more to learn about the world.  He's supposedly 21 - but he is so stunted he sounds around 13.

My very internet illiterate MIL fell for this scam back in the winter. She is in her 60s and lives in a foreign country without internet access for most of the year. I am baffled. This is not something to share. These are common internet scams that prey on very old and very young. Hopefully that doesn't sound too mean.

@Palimpsest Hah. I also immediately thought of Anna's How to Google post. Perhaps there is a need for the Maxwellian tutorial after all. (A sentence that nobody ever thinks they'll write.)

Being a fundie takes a lot of work. That right there is how you end up with a bloomer fetish.

1 hour ago, AliceInFundyland said:

@Palimpsest 

Being a fundie takes a lot of work. That right there is how you end up with a bloomer fetish.

And I've never seen Anne of Green Gables-- can someone tell me what the racy part might be that require fast-forwarding?

It must be as bad as this hint-o-cleavage part of Seven Brides  (also you get to see lady armpits):

image.png.58c5e6918793c6892826ec62248a8490.png

22 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

And I've never seen Anne of Green Gables-- can someone tell me what the racy part might be that require fast-forwarding?

It must be as bad as this hint-o-cleavage part of Seven Brides  (also you get to see lady armpits):

image.png.58c5e6918793c6892826ec62248a8490.png

I watched Anne of GG about a million times as a kid and the only part I can think of might be when she accidentally gets her BFF drunk. But it’s not looked at as something good. It was a mistake she paid for dearly because her BFF’s parents said they couldn’t see one another anymore. 

The Bontragers posted on Instagram that they are finally home. I can’t believe they waited until the end of their tour to meet the new grandbabies. At least a lot of the other family members were around. 

On 8/7/2018 at 8:34 AM, HereticHick said:

Joshua tells the story of how he got scammed in his computer.  I can't believe he fell for this type of scam-- and why the heck didn't he mention it to any of his family members at the time?

Critical thinking skills, boys and girls!

http://joshuabontrager.com/2018/08/07/what-i-learned-the-day-i-got-scammed/#more-859

PS MY MIL fell for this scam a couple years ago--but she's over 80 and was developing Alzheimer's

What kind of an idiot does bookkeeping or any other kind of financial business online using the free wi-fi at Wal-Mart? That right there is stupidity of the first order. 

One of the commenters said this: 5DDC8EBA-B345-441C-B25B-E4F049A4B4E3.thumb.png.a62612a18c9b2eb933126936186bca47.png

How ridiculously naive. “Alex” won’t suddenly think “oh no, I’m such a naughty sinner, better get saved!!” Criminals don’t think like that. 

That a grown adult woman would list Shirley Temple's entire collection on a movie recommendation list is...I try not to judge, but that's freakin' weird. 

And possibly unpopular opinion: Shirley Temple movies give me the creeps. Why is her dress always longer in the front than in the back? Why is there always an adult man playing opposite her? Why........

I feel like Chelsy gave a book list somewhere that was considerably better than this movie list. Not on her blog though. 

If I were one of the fundies who was into reading, I might start thinking that book adaptations were acceptable. But they never do mention those, or the great Biblical films. I don’t get it.

...tangent, I’ve been thinking about Melanie Shupe watching the HBO Game of Thrones...I believe she would feel defrauded. 

2 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

That a grown adult woman would list Shirley Temple's entire collection on a movie recommendation list is...I try not to judge, but that's freakin' weird. 

And possibly unpopular opinion: Shirley Temple movies give me the creeps. Why is her dress always longer in the front than in the back? Why is there always an adult man playing opposite her? Why........

I could be remembering this wrong but they made her dresses quite short to make her seem younger. She was actually lied to for years about her age. She was told she was a year younger than she was because they thought she couldn’t keep a secret and they wanted the public to believe she was younger than she was. A child actor only has a very short window of time and they tried to stretch it out as long as possible for the money. I think Shirley was told on her 12th birthday that it was actually her 13th birthday. She lost a whole year! Poor kid. 

7 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I could be remembering this wrong but they made her dresses quite short to make her seem younger. She was actually lied to for years about her age. She was told she was a year younger than she was because they thought she couldn’t keep a secret and they wanted the public to believe she was younger than she was. A child actor only has a very short window of time and they tried to stretch it out as long as possible for the money. I think Shirley was told on her 12th birthday that it was actually her 13th birthday. She lost a whole year! Poor kid. 

I thought she was a little older then that when she found out her true age.  Like she wanted to get a drivers license and was told she was able to because she was really 16 when she thought she was 15. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived