IGNORED

Bontragers and Bowers 2

Coconut Flan

I think with their Mennonite backgrounds,is it both of them?But,I think their food is much better than the food that was served for some of the other fundie families.

I kind of get the no snack rule,but in a way,I don't get it...what if a child is having a growth spurt,and is just hungry?Mr Melon is a big snacker..so a rule about no snacks certainly would never have gone over well with my boys.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, melon said:

I think with their Mennonite backgrounds,is it both of them?But,I think their food is much better than the food that was served for some of the other fundie families.

I kind of get the no snack rule,but in a way,I don't get it...what if a child is having a growth spurt,and is just hungry?Mr Melon is a big snacker..so a rule about no snacks certainly would never have gone over well with my boys.

I imagine they learn to stuff themselves at meals. 

I grew up with a no-snack rule. It wasn't the best but I don't know how else large families with little money are supposed to plan for food and mealtimes if kids are snooping in the fridge and pantry all day. At least I'm lucky we had 3 solid meals a day with enough for seconds. I guess the key is making sure the kids are getting enough calories and nutritious food, which the Bontragers seem to do pretty well.

Remember, this lifestyle is about getting as many people's basic needs met as possible, not accommodating individual needs. Children grow up with a double debt on their shoulders: to their parents for sacrificing to have them (being constantly reminded that in the World, children 3 and onward wouldn't have been born), and to their God for saving them from Hell. In that mindset, following rules and denying yourself is pretty easy. 

Oh Joshua... What a lovely book selection to read your first year of marriage! I’m glad they are getting a head start on learning how to beat babies. ?

98383A3F-1E9A-4495-BB3F-FCF0AA4ABFE8.jpeg

Bahahahaha!!! What a pompous little man child! Thanks for the laugh Joshua.

B2F6106E-B063-4567-8060-DA171718421F.jpeg

B2F6106E-B063-4567-8060-DA171718421F.thumb.jpeg.ad871f84964d6ed82c5d97d97834de88.jpeg

Mercy.

Having a family culture is one thing... But already controlling what games your kids will like??? (is there an eleventy for question marks?!?!!)

I wonder how many of his children he will have a good relationship with in 25 years.

(edited for riffles)

OMG and fucking public speaking... I can't with this guy

What an adolescent, if he thinks that intelligence is all about using five-dollar words and "disdain" for certain kinds of fun. 

From Allison's latest blog post, Chelsy has really lost her spark in those pics. I hope it's morning sickness and not the Maxwellisation of her life. I do find it sweet that Allison visits her pretty often. It's a far cry from the Boyer Sister "you are dead to me" attitude after Brigid left.

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 3.47.42 PM.png

3 hours ago, sleepy_doggos said:

OMG and fucking public speaking... I can't with this guy

More likely, Bontragers never know when it is better to keep silent and appear like fools than it is to open their mouths (and write crap on their blogs) and remove all doubt.

My vote for the name of the babe Chels is cooking:  Bontrager Steven Maxwell.  To be known here as Bonty.

He hates Candyland and loves Stratego????  How can you even compare the two?

Candyland--Ages 3 and Up

Stratego--Ages 8 and Up

Man, I loved Candyland when I was 5 or 6.

So I guess his kids aren't going to be allowed to play any board games until they can grasp Stratego, etc.

I've got a couple of big rare words for this fool.

Joshua's blog is the best thing that could possibly have happened in Bontragerland, in my opinion. I feel like they'd started to get that sheen of "not that bad -- so industrious! so joyful!" around here.  

Turns out, nope -- they're just as out of touch and insulated as most of the families we discuss (and just as devoted to abusive child "discipline"), but with the added cherry on top of being hugely, inexplicably conceited and deluded about their importance as a family. 

Write on, Joshua.  Put it all out there for everybody to see!  We're all so very, VERY impressed.  

2 minutes ago, Pianokeeper said:

Joshua's blog is the best thing that could possibly have happened in Bontragerland, in my opinion. I feel like they'd started to get that sheen of "not that bad -- so industrious! so joyful!" around here.  

Turns out, nope -- they're just as out of touch and insulated as most of the families we discuss (and just as devoted to abusive child "discipline"), but with the added cherry on top of being hugely, inexplicably conceited and deluded about their importance as a family. 

Write on, Joshua.  Put it all out there for everybody to see!  We're all so very, VERY impressed.  

I really have to disagree. Chelsy is nick named “judgy Chelsy” while Allison is still remembered for her “nurturing your brothers’ manhood” post. Pa Bon will never be forgotten as the guy who talked about Steve Maxwell’s junk at his daughter’s wedding. And Becky just wrote an eye roll worthy parenting post on the Blog. Plus their Turning Hearts celebration was this past weekend so I’m sure that’s full of fundie garbage that will be mentioned in the blog soon. 

10 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I really have to disagree. Chelsy is nick named “judgy Chelsy” while Allison is still remembered for her “nurturing your brothers’ manhood” post. Pa Bon will never be forgotten as the guy who talked about Steve Maxwell’s junk at his daughter’s wedding. And Becky just wrote an eye roll worthy parenting post on the Blog. Plus their Turning Hearts celebration was this past weekend so I’m sure that’s full of fundie garbage that will be mentioned in the blog soon. 

Fair points.  Although I was thinking farther back than that (like when people said Chelsy was too fun for the Maxwells* or even further), it's not Josh alone who has been bearing the torch of mockability lately. Still, I applaud his efforts!

*not that this is hard to do

10 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh Joshua... What a lovely book selection to read your first year of marriage! I’m glad they are getting a head start on learning how to beat babies. ?

98383A3F-1E9A-4495-BB3F-FCF0AA4ABFE8.jpeg

B2F6106E-B063-4567-8060-DA171718421F.jpeg

Candyland and Sorry are perfect board games for children at certain developmental stages. I have fond memories of playing Sorry as a very young child with my older siblings, and equally fond memories of stacking the Candyland deck with Princess What's-Her-Name strategically placed so that my child would win. I feel very sorry indeed for His Pomposity's future children.

11 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I swear he reminds me of Doug Phillips minus the cosplay.

Joshua is still young. We can expect great snarkworthy things from him in the future. 

Regarding the snacks issue. Not all cultures/families eat the same way and there is not a correct one. I grow up eating 3-4 times a day (being lunch the biggest meal) and not being hungry.

Both lunch and dinner were considered social meals at my home: all 3 or 4 of us, sitting with no tv and focused in eating and chatting. If my mom would have allowed snacks, I'm sure we would have skipped dinner most days.

I allow my kids to have snacks (I spoil them haha) but I'm sure I would forbid it if I had a big family, because the budget and above all, because you need to keep control on the amount of food that remains in the fridge.

What I mean is that basically the whole world lives or has lived for centuries with the no snack rule and it is not bad, nor makes kids hungry if meals are ok.

11 hours ago, VVV said:

Candyland and Sorry are perfect board games for children at certain developmental stages. 

He probably hates Candyland because he often loses through no fault of his own, just by chance. That doesn't jibe with his beliefs on winners and losers.

It's kind of endearing that Joshua's idea of mindless entertainment is playing Candyland. I just want to pat him on the head, really. 

On 9/5/2018 at 12:02 PM, Black Aliss said:

He probably hates Candyland because he often loses through no fault of his own, just by chance. That doesn't jibe with his beliefs on winners and losers.

My best friend as a kid would cheat at Candyland. I've lost touch with her but assume she grew up to be a mass murderer. : )

hahahahaha "bontragers use big, rare words" is just about the funniest thing i've seen today. nothing like using a whopper of a word like "big" to describe his future family's advanced diction. "Using big, rare words" is just begging to be a post-count title. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived