IGNORED

Carlin and Evan 2: Growing (a Little Bit) Older Together

Jellybean

30 minutes ago, Oh_Dear! said:

i saw Carlin caption that she's wearing Minnie Mouse ears, but has never seen the cartoon. 

This, along with the whole Winnie the Pooh incident really shows how warped the family is. I really don't get why anyone who takes more than a superficial look at the Bates can't see that their is something rotten in this family. 

I get the impression that now Gil and Kelly don't give any fucks about Disney movies as long as their kids stick to the core family beliefs so they probably have seen the more recent Disney videos. 

I remember reading something from another IBLP survivor on how his coworkers were amazed that he didn't have a clue who Tom and Jerry were.  

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Carlin... please please tone it down. Show us some intellectual depth. Please?

Ummm...she can't show what she doesn't have

18 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Ummm...she can't show what she doesn't have

ITA. I doubt Kelly and Gil encouraged any sort of deep or critical thinking and almost certainly actively discouraged it.

If any one has watched season 6 of bringing up bates road trip romance there is something really intriging in that episode. Carlin is talking about a song Evan wrote before they got together and she says it fits with her life  

here is what she says 

when I started to talk to Evan he sung me this song. that he had wrote and was working on and I was like no way because it  it kind of related to some of my life of she had somebody then it kind of didn't work out waiting patiently when you're ready to love again. 

makes me wonder who it was and what happened. 

3 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

makes me wonder who it was and what happened. 

She probably had a crush on some guy, waited patiently for him to approach her dad, and it never happened. This kind of thing is very dramatic and trying when you're 15 (or emotionally 15).

There was a lot of speculation that it was Joe Duggar. He spent most of his time at Crown with the Bates, he lived with them iirc.

Around that time, Joy was also spotted at the Bates' house often (chaperoning I personally thought fit, but also there were Joy-Trace/Joy-Lawson courtship rumours).

It's kind of mean but if true, I'm glad they didn't work out. Obnoxious, loud Carlin would have driven him crazy. 

5 minutes ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

There was a lot of speculation that it was Joe Duggar. He spent most of his time at Crown with the Bates, he lived with them iirc.

Around that time, Joy was also spotted at the Bates' house often (chaperoning I personally thought fit, but also there were Joy-Trace/Joy-Lawson courtship rumours).

It's kind of mean but if true, I'm glad they didn't work out. Obnoxious, loud Carlin would have driven him crazy. 

I was wondering something along those lines. I have a diffrent take on that one though I think Carlin would be the one worse off not Joe. Carlin would be stuck with the Duggar's as in laws that would be horrible. 

@Ivycoveredtower Neither of them would've gotten a good deal! They both seem better suited to their new matches. I cannot imagine JB interacting with Carlin as a daughter in law, "shell shocked" comes to mind....

On 4/12/2018 at 2:07 PM, Ivycoveredtower said:

So Evan is flying back. I am wondering if the Bates are staying longer. if they are just driving back i find it odd that Evan would fly and not just ride with them. 

is it possible that *gasp* he is *actually* going to electrician classes? or has some sort of semi-real adult-ish obligation? O.o 

Just now, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

is it possible that *gasp* he is *actually* going to electrician classes? or has some sort of semi-real adult-ish obligation? O.o 

maybe but i'm not holding my breath. :laughing-jumpingpurple: I think it's more likely he didn't want to be trapped in car with all those bates

4 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

maybe but i'm not holding my breath. :laughing-jumpingpurple: I think it's more likely he didn't want to be trapped in car with all those bates

Especially when Lawson is there (was he? Can’t remember.). The last time when they were in a car together it was just painful watching them trying to up one another. Didn’t Lawson “win” that round? Too much ego for one car.

I thought the rumour was that Joe was courting/getting to know Tori, not Carlin? Joe + Carlin would have been extremely awful. I cannot imagine a worse, less suited pairing!

(Also, it's entirely possible that Joe wasn't interested in any of the Bates girls and was really just there to try out Crown College.)

I think these two are already engaged. I think the Easter pictures caught my attention. Several of the pics her ring finger was covered, but later on it was shown bare as can be. I still think the time is here. 

Also, I believe Lawson and Jinger were rumored together. Later it was Jana and Lawson, which was quickly debunked by the Bates Family.

I don't think a Bates Duggars pairing would ever work unless something major happens to change these two family. The only thing they have in common is their faith. These two families may be "friends" but they are completely different in style and culture. One of the primary differences is the Bates emphasis on some sort of higher education and the Duggars almost insistence to avoid it all together in efforts to hop the sack as quickly as possible.

With that said, what the heck exactly is Carlin doing with her life, career wise? I almost never hear her talk about school like the others.

6 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

I think these two are already engaged. I think the Easter pictures caught my attention. Several of the pics her ring finger was covered, but later on it was shown bare as can be. I still think the time is here. 

Also, I believe Lawson and Jinger were rumored together. Later it was Jana and Lawson, which was quickly debunked by the Bates Family.

I don't think a Bates Duggars pairing would ever work unless something major happens to change these two family. The only thing they have in common is their faith. These two families may be "friends" but they are completely different in style and culture. One of the primary differences is the Bates emphasis on some sort of higher education and the Duggars almost insistence to avoid it all together in efforts to hop the sack as quickly as possible.

With that said, what the heck exactly is Carlin doing with her life, career wise? I almost never hear her talk about school like the others.

The Duggars aren’t opposed to college educated husbands for their daughters. Three out of four sisters married men who have a college degree (and, in Ben’s case, is currently working towards another.) If there is a pairing between the families at some point I think a Bates son/Duggar daughter pairing is most likely... but even then, a lot depends on personalities, common interests, attraction, etc. So I do agree with you - I don’t think a pairing between them is likely, at least not for a while.

9 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

One of the primary differences is the Bates emphasis on some sort of higher education and the Duggars almost insistence to avoid it all together in efforts to hop the sack as quickly as possible.

I"ve always gotten the impression that if Crown college had not been so close the Bates would not have encourage higher education, especially for the daughters. They lucked out in having a fundie approved college at their doorstep. If there wasn't one I bet they would be as uneducated as the Duggars. 

16 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I"ve always gotten the impression that if Crown college had not been so close the Bates would not have encourage higher education, especially for the daughters. They lucked out in having a fundie approved college at their doorstep. If there wasn't one I bet they would be as uneducated as the Duggars. 

honestly I think they only push them to do it so they can say that they push higher education for their kids. I remember before trace started their was a scene where Kelly is talking to him. ( I believe they are in some thrift store) and says something now don't you want to go and try it out Dad and I will pay for the first semester. so that's  how they sucker them in. the first semester is paid for but then they are on their own. which is why Erin had to borrow money from Lawson for her education. 

@VelociRapture

You're right. I guess I didn't look at it so much from the Duggar's perspective. Their younger girls are considerably younger than the Bates boys except Johannah. She is about two- four years younger than the Bates middle boys. These numbers don't seem a huge deals once the kids come of age.

I just don't see it happening either mostly because the families seem to have totally different outlooks even within their belief systems. But it's not impossible. And really, it depends on what the kids end up choosing. I just don't think the families mesh well. But I know they pushed for pairings. Only natural. 

@formergothardite @Ivycoveredtower

That could be true. It does seems common for parents to push their kids to follow their educational path or further. The Bates are college educated. They push their kids to do the same. Convenience only makes it easier.

Also, in the Duggar's defense against my previous words, their estate is wealthy. They don't necessarily need to send their children to college. Maybe in their minds, they didn't need it to be successful. Their kids can go if they want to, but no significant push because the children are trained to be self-sufficient without it. 

Question: Did Zach or Michael go to Crown? I remember Michael saying her degree was elsewhere, but not sure.

Michael went to the local community college.

12 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

@VelociRapture

You're right. I guess I didn't look at it so much from the Duggar's perspective. Their younger girls are considerably younger than the Bates boys except Johannah. She is about two- four years younger than the Bates middle boys. These numbers don't seem a huge deals once the kids come of age.

I just don't see it happening either mostly because the families seem to have totally different outlooks even within their belief systems. But it's not impossible. And really, it depends on what the kids end up choosing. I just don't think the families mesh well. But I know they pushed for pairings. Only natural. 

@formergothardite @Ivycoveredtower

That could be true. It does seems common for parents to push their kids to follow their educational path or further. The Bates are college educated. They push their kids to do the same. Convenience only makes it easier.

Also, in the Duggar's defense against my previous words, their estate is wealthy. They don't necessarily need to send their children to college. Maybe in their minds, they didn't need it to be successful. Their kids can go if they want to, but no significant push because the children are trained to be self-sufficient without it. 

Question: Did Zach or Michael go to Crown? I remember Michael saying her degree was elsewhere, but not sure.

I know she went to a community college and that she finished online after marrying Brandon but I'm not sure if she did it all online or not. zach I don't think had any college. 

She talked about attending classes at one point.  I think she only went all online after getting married.

Interesting Zach did not go. I wonder if they'd stayed considerably low-income would they have not pushed the other kids to attend college. Or did they push Zach, but he preferred a different career path? 

I also wonder if Carlin and Josie are asked to finish before they tie the knot. In know it's a huge deal for the girls to finish because for some reason Tori and Bobby were nervous to ask the parents to move their wedding up before she graduated despite Erin (and I guess) Michael doing the same.

ETA: I think it's great they're pushing some of the middle girls to have some sort of career safety net in case things don't work out or for whatever reason they need to make their own income. 

8 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

Interesting Zach did not go. I wonder if they'd stayed considerably low-income would they have not pushed the other kids to attend college. Or did they push Zach, but he preferred a different career path? 

I also wonder if Carlin and Josie are asked to finish before they tie the knot. In know it's a huge deal for the girls to finish because for some reason Tori and Bobby were nervous to ask the parents to move their wedding up before she graduated despite Erin (and I guess) Michael doing the same.

ETA: I think it's great they're pushing some of the middle girls to have some sort of career safety net in case things don't work out or for whatever reason they need to make their own income. 

LOL no it's not a big deal for the girls to finish. They let Alyssa drop out to get married.  that whole Tori and Bobby scene was staged they knew that Kelly and Gil were not going to say no. there hasn't been a long bates engagement ever.  

12 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

LOL no it's not a big deal for the girls to finish. They let Alyssa drop out to get married.  that whole Tori and Bobby scene was staged they knew that Kelly and Gil were not going to say no. there hasn't been a long bates engagement ever.  

@TatiFish9 This. And Josie already graduated from Crown and is a licensed Cosmetologist in Tennessee now, so her finishing isn’t an issue.

I really think in Josie’s case that her parents wanted them to wait because of her age. I remember when Marjorie started courting Josiah and a lot of people weren’t pleased about a 17 year old entering into such a serious relationship. I mean, Alyssa was 19 when she married and there were people who weren't pleased she was that young too. I could absolutely see Kelly and Gil deciding not to allow official courtships before a certain age strictly to cut down on the amount of negative attention they’d get.

1 minute ago, VelociRapture said:

@TatiFish9 This. And Josie already graduated from Crown and is a licensed Cosmetologist in Tennessee now, so her finishing isn’t an issue.

I really think in Josie’s case that her parents wanted them to wait because of her age. I remember when Marjorie started courting Josiah and a lot of people weren’t pleased about a 17 year old entering into such a serious relationship. I mean, Alyssa was 19 when she married and there were people who weren't pleased she was that young too. I could absolutely see Kelly and Gil deciding not to allow official courtships before a certain age strictly to cut down on the amount of negative attention they’d get.

When it was Josie's birthday Kelly said to Josie you're 18 you can now have a boyfriend and Kelton high fived her and I just rolled my eyes. who did they really think they were fooling. they were clearly already going out. 

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived