IGNORED

Josie and Kelton 1: Here We Go Again

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

I am all for this, except I don't know why Gilly Jo would  approve the courtship if they were not marriage ready due to career path. This is especially since Carlin and Evan were calling each other boyfriend and girlfriend prior to courting. They could have done that pre-courting stuff until they were in a marrying position. Plus, several of the Bates kids married before finishing school, Tori being the latest. Tori was suspected pregnant at graduation. 

I think either Evan deemed himself not ready for whatever personal reason or Gilly Jo prevented it because of something they saw of concern. It could be a mixture of both.

the girls have gotten married pre graduation but all the grooms have been graduated and on career paths. 

you know except maybe John I don't know if he did any secondary schooling.  

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, FaithAndReason said:

I always wonder if they schedule wedding's around the bride's monthly cycle in order to promote "Honeymoon Babies"

This!

I know it is not my business, when a fundie bride does ovulate but the high amount of honeymoon babies stick out. Can anyone here who grew up fundie answer this question for me ;) .

12 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

I am all for this, except I don't know why Gilly Jo would  approve the courtship if they were not marriage ready due to career path. This is especially since Carlin and Evan were calling each other boyfriend and girlfriend prior to courting. They could have done that pre-courting stuff until they were in a marrying position. Plus, several of the Bates kids married before finishing school, Tori being the latest. Tori was suspected pregnant at graduation. 

I think either Evan deemed himself not ready for whatever personal reason or Gilly Jo prevented it because of something they saw of concern. It could be a mixture of both.

They approved Brandon and Michael for courtship as well, but they didn't get married until he finished his education. They had a longer courtship too, if I remember correctly. 

The girls have married before graduation, but not if their fundie approved husband hadn't. Evan is still in school, just starting. John and Chad didn't go but they had skills of their own. Brandon, Bobby, and Kelton are all finished. It's not so much about the girls as it is the guys. The Bates don't have the money to support their sons in law + daughters + a gazillion kids. 

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

They approved Brandon and Michael for courtship as well, but they didn't get married until he finished his education. They had a longer courtship too, if I remember correctly. 

The girls have married before graduation, but not if their fundie approved husband hadn't. Evan is still in school, just starting. John and Chad didn't go but they had skills of their own. Brandon, Bobby, and Kelton are all finished. It's not so much about the girls as it is the guys. The Bates don't have the money to support their sons in law + daughters + a gazillion kids. 

Since he is just starting there is no way he will be finished by december or january, that is when they are planning to marry so seems like they will make an exception this time around.

Thats already been answered. Sorry!

@llucie That’s when Carlin said they wanted to marry. Not when Gil and Kelly said they’d like to see them married. Despite being adults capable of making this choice for themselves, Carlin and Evan don’t get much say if Gil says no. I do get the feeling they won’t be married for a while, but I could be wrong. 

5 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I thought chad has some type of youth pastoring degree? 

4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Thats already been answered. Sorry!

@llucie That’s when Carlin said they wanted to marry. Not when Gil and Kelly said they’d like to see them married. Despite being adults capable of making this choice for themselves, Carlin and Evan don’t get much say if Gil says no. I do get the feeling they won’t be married for a while, but I could be wrong. 

I really doubt they will wait 2 or 3 more years until he finish his schooling. No way they will risk them eloping or having sex outside marriage.

@NoJulius Not fundie, but someone who used bc pills to avoid having PMS symptoms or my period over my wedding...if you avoid the week before and during your expected period (with maybe a little extra time thrown in at the end to be extra sure), it puts you pretty much at ovulation time in a 28-day cycle. Especially since the sweet fellowship that leads to a baby actually takes place a few days before the egg is released. 

So while they COULD plan specifically for peak fertility, it might also just go hand in hand with not having their period on their wedding day. Which is understandable. 

Someone with more fundie insight should certainly answer though!

Just catching up again.

A few thoughts:

Brandon stated he wanted to finish school before marrying. Also at that time, the Bates were following a strict courtship model which meant Michaela and Brandon had to court to be considered a coupled.

Gilly Jo seem to be loosening the reigns as far a how they now define pre courtship.

Evan had a desk job. How is this less desireable than what Chad and John were doing? I guess because Chad and John come from established families, theirs were more lucrative matches?

I wonder if Evan asked for Carlin's hand and received a no or if it was of his own choosing not to propose yet.

I also think it will be a longer while for them but Evan did an instastory showing Carlin at a fine jewler. Hard to say with these two. 

18 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

Just catching up again.

A few thoughts:

Brandon stated he wanted to finish school before marrying. Also at that time, the Bates were following a strict courtship model which meant Michaela and Brandon had to court to be considered a coupled.

Gilly Jo seem to be loosening the reigns as far a how they now define pre courtship.

Evan had a desk job. How is this less desireable than what Chad and John were doing? I guess because Chad and John come from established families, theirs were more lucrative matches?

I wonder if Evan asked for Carlin's hand and received a no or if it was of his own choosing not to propose yet.

I also think it will be a longer while for them but Evan did an instastory showing Carlin at a fine jewler. Hard to say with these two. 

you're right no  way the Bates would turn away a Paine or a Webster plus Chad had all those handy skills the Bates could use. 

4 hours ago, llucie said:

I really doubt they will wait 2 or 3 more years until he finish his schooling. No way they will risk them eloping or having sex outside marriage.

I didn’t say they’d wait that long though. I said I think it’ll be a while. To them, that means longer than a few months. Lol!

Michael had a pretty long courtship period due to Brandon still being in school. I think it was around 15 months or so. I’d expect to see CarVan looking at a courtship no shorter than that, which would give them an engagement date in November and a wedding date most likely sometime in February. Considering Evan is currently in school though, I could definitely see them pushing that back a bit further. 

1 hour ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

you're right no  way the Bates would turn away a Paine or a Webster plus Chad had all those handy skills the Bates could use. 

Haha! This all sounds like the central plot to a Regency Romance. 

Lady Carlin was made to wait longer for a chance at holy matrimony than her elder sisters. They had married Chad and John who were Dukes, no less. But the lowly baron Evan could not match their lands nor their titles. Therefore, he had to leave the continent in efforts to seek glory that would win Lady Carlin's father approval. Read inside to find out what followed.:confused2: 

1 hour ago, TatiFish9 said:

Haha! This all sounds like the central plot to a Regency Romance. 

Lady Carlin was made to wait longer for a chance at holy matrimony than her elder sisters. They had married Chad and John who were Dukes, no less. But the lowly baron Evan could not match their lands nor their titles. Therefore, he had to leave the continent in efforts to seek glory that would win Lady Carlin's father approval. Read inside to find out what followed.:confused2: 

Plus think of how each couple met. Webster, Paine Keilen Fundy Royalty. Balka long time family friends. Smith met through Balka so automatic seal of approval. Now Evan came out of no where he was at some brunch or something Erin and Carlin attended and Erin thought they would make a cute couple. 

14 hours ago, NoJulius said:

This!

I know it is not my business, when a fundie bride does ovulate but the high amount of honeymoon babies stick out. Can anyone here who grew up fundie answer this question for me ;) .

Didn't grow up fundie but my parents did have a baby one week shy of their 9 month wedding anniversary as they were not using birth control. They only had one more after that.

Do you define honeymoon as in getting pregnant within 2 weeks of getting married or getting pregnant the first cycle after getting married?  Let's see, for the Duggars so far there were 3 who got pregnant during the first cycle, 3 who took longer, and one unknown at this point.  For the Bates i don't think any have gotten pregnant during the first cycle though a few did on the 2nd.  I'm not sure about all the other fundie families we follow.  All that is to say that I think they're pretty average.  If you took couples their ages who didn't use any birth control you would probably be seeing similar results.

I am unclear about Evan and college. I have many questions!

He was working an entry level type desk job, was he also enrolled in school or did he quit that job to start school?  Is he getting an associate degree?  I recall reading awhile ago he was doing an apprenticeship as an electrician, is that correct?  I have no idea how trade educations work or how long they take.

Thank you in advance for any clarification!

7 minutes ago, TeaELSee said:

I am unclear about Evan and college. I have many questions!

He was working an entry level type desk job, was he also enrolled in school or did he quit that job to start school?  Is he getting an associate degree?  I recall reading awhile ago he was doing an apprenticeship as an electrician, is that correct?  I have no idea how trade educations work or how long they take.

Thank you in advance for any clarification!

this was from the Ellie blog set March 18th. Evan mentioned a going away party at his work but I can't remember when and  I believe it was just in a story as it's not on his IG now. 

https://www.batesfamilyblog.com/2018/03/evan-learns-trade.html

11 hours ago, neurogirl said:

@NoJulius Not fundie, but someone who used bc pills to avoid having PMS symptoms or my period over my wedding...if you avoid the week before and during your expected period (with maybe a little extra time thrown in at the end to be extra sure), it puts you pretty much at ovulation time in a 28-day cycle. Especially since the sweet fellowship that leads to a baby actually takes place a few days before the egg is released. 

So while they COULD plan specifically for peak fertility, it might also just go hand in hand with not having their period on their wedding day. Which is understandable. 

Someone with more fundie insight should certainly answer though!

That makes sense. I considerd the period-free wedding too but not which days of the cycle are consequently left. 

Also, they avoid their period during the honeymoon... Something I‘d prefer if it is the first time ever I spend time alone with a man. 

And now we can imagine what they really talk about when they sit down for their wedding planning. It is not about dresses, food and colors :my_biggrin:

„Hey Babe, what about date x?“

[Bride taking a look at her cycle calendar]

“Nope, because...“

23 hours ago, NoJulius said:

This!

If you schedule to avoid a period, you’ll probably go mid cycle, so chances are you’re going to hit on a fertile day, and those occur every 28 days...  I seriously doubt there is an art to it.  Cuz... Math is hard. 

17 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I didn’t say they’d wait that long though. I said I think it’ll be a while. To them, that means longer than a few months. Lol!

Michael had a pretty long courtship period due to Brandon still being in school. I think it was around 15 months or so. I’d expect to see CarVan looking at a courtship no shorter than that, which would give them an engagement date in November and a wedding date most likely sometime in February. Considering Evan is currently in school though, I could definitely see them pushing that back a bit further. 

No ofense but i said around january since they want a winter wedding and you said no way thats impossible because of his schooling, now you say february? lol is he going to finish his schooling in one month? what a diference a month makes!. Yes maybe february since its still winter, but anyway he will not be finish with his schooling by then since he just started this spring, so they will have to make an exception as i said.

2 hours ago, llucie said:

No ofense but i said around january since they want a winter wedding and you said no way thats impossible because of his schooling, now you say february? lol is he going to finish his schooling in one month? what a diference a month makes!. Yes maybe february since its still winter, but anyway he will not be finish with his schooling by then since he just started this spring, so they will have to make an exception as i said.

Please reread. I said February at the earliest, but that I could absolutely see them pushing it back much further than that due to his schooling. The February date was only mentioned to match up with the length of Michael’s courtship period (about 15 months) since Michael and Brandon’s situation matched up most closely to Carlin and Evan’s. I fully expect for it to take longer considering Evan is in school and the Bateses don’t have the resources to help support Carlin and Evan in the early years of marriage. 

19 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Plus think of how each couple met. Webster, Paine Keilen Fundy Royalty. Balka long time family friends. Smith met through Balka so automatic seal of approval. Now Evan came out of no where he was at some brunch or something Erin and Carlin attended and Erin thought they would make a cute couple. 

lol! at Evan just popping up. Faithful readers know. If an unknown baron shows up in the plot, either he is a notorious rake whose intentions are not noble or he is the underdog who will eventually win the lady and her family over.  

Only time will tell what kind of baron Evan will turn out to be!:my_biggrin: I must admit, for a minute I was wondering if his family was trying to get in with the Bates to promote their singing business more. But it looks like they've stopped the singing gigs. Interesting.

The Duggar girls helped Michelle track her cycles so they could do the same for weddings.

Also, I thought Chad had some sort of "degree" and was the office manager at a small business (a desk job) and that his carpentry/refurbishing was on the side. I would heavily bet on the business being owned by someone in the IBLP community.

1 hour ago, jqlgoblue said:

The Duggar girls helped Michelle track her cycles so they could do the same for weddings.

Also, I thought Chad had some sort of "degree" and was the office manager at a small business (a desk job) and that his carpentry/refurbishing was on the side. I would heavily bet on the business being owned by someone in the IBLP community.

He worked at some type of scrap yard but seems to have stopped that job passing it onto Bobby (And who knows who now that Bobby moved) and he is now doing some type of house flipping with someone. 

For what it’s worth, Carlin met Evan at a woman’s conference that her family was speaking at. Erin introduced them because she thought they would make a cute couple. Evan’s family was there to sing.

He hardly popped out of the woodwork ala Whitney at Sonic. He’s from a respectable Christian singing group and Erin hand picked him. 

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived