IGNORED

Turpins - 13 shackled kids

Sideways

18 minutes ago, Terrie said:

http://time.com/5103920/perris-california-children-shackled-turpin/

Granny is defending them as a "very respectable family." Makes you wonder how deep this rabbit hole goes.

I find that bizarre. At most you could say "this was a very respectable family" (though I don't think that's true either). As soon as you find out a family was keeping their children starved and chained then you can't call them "respectable" anymore.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"“We don’t believe anything until we find definite proof,” Betty Turpin, 81, told TIME on Tuesday. “It’s just a one-sided story. You can’t always go with that.”"

Fuck you, Betty Turpin. I get it that you don't want to see accusations about your son, but the "one-sided story" is coming from your GRANDCHILDREN.  

It’s wickedly selfish to go to Vegas for a vow renewal in 2011, 2013, and 2015. I mean, really? That should have been a red flag something was off.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the grandparents knew more odd behavior and happenings going on than they’re letting on.

6 minutes ago, FunFunFundie said:

"“We don’t believe anything until we find definite proof,” Betty Turpin, 81, told TIME on Tuesday. “It’s just a one-sided story. You can’t always go with that.”"

Fuck you, Betty Turpin. I get it that you don't want to see accusations about your son, but the "one-sided story" is coming from your GRANDCHILDREN.  

This times a million. If your 17 yr old grandchild is so malnorished she looks 10 and older kids present the same without evidence their parents have been seeking proper medical treatment for them all :that is the side of the story that's important! 

It's so sad particularly given the effects long term abuse and malnutrition can have life long, 

3 hours ago, DisgustedofHove said:

Here it is... You can see the children walking, dancing and even singing a bit. To me, they seem very uncomfortable in the video, tottering around on those heels looking unstable, and like they’re not used to the attention. 

Mom has mad eyes in this video and looks disheveled as compared to earlier pictures of their vow renewals. 

10 hours ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

Here's a little more on the religious connection:
Homeschooling where the Bible was key.
God called us to have eleventy children.
Oh, and they're Pentecostal.
http://abc7.com/grandparents-say-god-called-on-perris-couple-to-have-so-many-children/2950254/

There's Duggar Academy, and Joyful Noyes Homeschool (Rodriguii)  ;)

Didn't God call them to love their kids

22 minutes ago, FunFunFundie said:

I hope these words are taken well into consideration if the grandparents try to get custody.

I'm so glad that the daughter was able to escape and reach help.  Things must have been unspeakably bad for her to take that chance. 

Just heard about this and my immediate reaction was, "What kind of fundies?" Absolutely horrible. Glad they got caught.

I'm listening to the press conference. I'm extremely concerned for the 7 kidults because from what I've heard and read, most social service types of support are significantly lacking for abused adults compared to kids...

Appalling comments aside, would an 81-year-old grandmother be able to handle them? Can't she be denied custody based on her age alone?

OMG. I don't think I've ever spent this much consecutive time on FJ. I'm just watching this story unfold in absolute horror.

Can I say FUCK THESE PEOPLE?

FUCK THESE PEOPLE

FUCK THESE PEOPLE

FUCK THESE PEOPLE

FUCK THESE PEOPLE

I am also following this in my true crime forum. Just when I think nothing can surprise me or make me sick anymore, the good people of "faith" say...."hold my beer".

41 minutes ago, FunFunFundie said:

Bitch, I cut you. How dare she? I'm sure the kids thought it would be funsies to prank their parents by starving themselves, chaining each other to the beds and calling the cops. What a studpid bitch, "grandma".  A real grandmother would have been in touch with her grandkids. So like @FunFunFundie says, fuck you Betty Trupin. Fuck you and your twisted sense of loyalty. 

Generally, "respectable families" don't keep their adult kids shut in the home, keep their littles shut inside (and quiet) to the point that the neighbors don't know there are kids there, make all their kids dress alike, make the whole family walk in a line in order by age, OR starve and shackle their kids. Any one or two of these should have made Grandma think "Hmm... that's a bit odd," much less ALL of them.

I hope these kids get good help and lots of therapy, the parents get locked up for at least as long as the kids were, and that somewhere down the line there's a documentary made about this because I'm incredibly nosy and curious. And maybe it can help make some money to help the kids out, as I'm thinking a 29 year old used to dressing like a 6 year old and "strictly homeschooled" by the sort of people who shackle their kids might have some difficulties adjusting to real life.

I find myself a bit relieved that at least these kids got to go to Disneyland. I hope that was a bright spot in their apparently miserable existence. Maybe their previous exposure to normal (happy) things like that will help their transition a bit.

1 hour ago, hasunah said:

I think you get the Turpins if you mix the Arndts with the Rodrigues and have that family go completely off the rails .

That could totally happen. :pb_neutral:

This is so fucked up. Those poor, poor children. Considering the ”grandmas” comments there is no wonder the family hasn’t reacted earlier. 

1 minute ago, Iamtheway said:

That could totally happen. :pb_neutral:

This is so fucked up. Those poor, poor children. Considering the ”grandmas” comments there is no wonder the family hasn’t reacted earlier. 

My point exactly friend!!! If you even suspect something ain't right with your nieces/nephews/grandkids, you DO SOMETHING.

Man, I am pissed off. 

Is the press conference still going on? Reading about this reminded me about this family back in 2003 who adopted 4 brothers who were also severly malnourished (the eldest was 4ft at age 19) and I just got all the memories. Many of you echoed my same feelings but really fuck Betty so much.

I am glad the kids were able to experience Disneyland however, I suspect the only reason they've been there was due to the parents selfishness of indulging themselves and merely allowing the kids to tag along.

The grandmother said she mostly talked to the parents only when the kids weren't around. YEP, that's not strange at all...

Respectable families do not physically restrain their children. I expected them to be religious just based on family size, even though they don't seem to match up with a lot of the other fundies we read about here.

This is tragic all around, and I express the same concern someone up thread mentioned about adults. There's not as many resources to help adults in these situations as there are for children. 

Did anyone else get incredibly annoyed at the questions a few reporters kept asking over and over? The one that got me was something like how they know it's torture? I'm appalled.

I'm from an area heavily devastated by a disaster last year, and the press conference questions got to be insane at times. We had an amazing public official who had no problem shutting them down, but in a time of mass chaos and confusion, the lack of professionalism and compassion some reporters show never ceases to amaze me. :( 

I  didn't watch the press conference so I'm looking through Twitter for new information. I'm not seeing anything different. 

Holy mother of fuck. I'm horrified. How can this happen? I'm 29, I cannot imagine my parents having me shackled to the bed in their basement. I mean I can't imagine my parents doing that. 

The grandmother may be in some kind of shock. However, you think that she would automatically side with the kids. Why would they lie about that? Why would the police lie about it? That's nonsense. 

21 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Respectable families do not physically restrain their children. I expected them to be religious just based on family size, even though they don't seem to match up with a lot of the other fundies we read about here.

This is tragic all around, and I express the same concern someone up thread mentioned about adults. There's not as many resources to help adults in these situations as there are for children. 

I completely agree with all of this. I was so irked by the questions along the lines of "Why do you define this as torture?" and "Why do you think none of the children reached out for help prior to this?" during the press conference. Beyond the physical restraint shit, the gaslighting/Stockholm Syndrome is probably through the roof. It's just so unfair to growing minds to trap them in this way.

Also (completely unrelated), I love your avatar, @HarleyQuinn. "Chewing Gum" is the BEST!

Something had to set the parents from odd to abusive. I can't imagine The Bates or The Duggars doing something like this. This went beyond religious fervor to insanity. 

• dawbs locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived