IGNORED

8 Passengers: Youtuber's Take Son's Bed and Refuse to Give Daughter Lunch

Glasgowghirl

After the scandal involving the Stauffer family, a few youtube channel's who reported on the Stauffer's have been reporting on the channel 8 Passengers, they are a LDS family of 8, parent's are Kevin and Ruby and they have 6 children ranging from 6 to 17 they have filmed and bragged about their abusive behaviour and Ruby even plans to become a life coach and write a parenting book. 

Ruby posted a video in which she explains that her then 5 year old daughter's teacher texts her explaining that Eve has forgotten her lunch and if she could bring it in for her, Ruby explains in the video that since it was Eve's responsibility to make and pack her lunch then she will not be bringing her in one and that the school shouldn't give her food either. At 15 maybe I can understand that but a child who has barely started school this is insane.

They sent 15 year old Chad to a Wilderness bootcamp for a series of pranks then had him sleep on a beanbag for months after it and banned him from his Room. 

Children are only allowed to use the parent's bathroom if they have good grades and are given the privilege as a reward. If the other bathrooms are in use and you need to go tough luck. 

They have removed bedroom and bathroom doors as punishment for children. Having no door to get washed dressed or even pee in peace is just crazy. 

She told her teenage daughter she wouldn't get a new swimsuit that year because she was self conscious about the one they ordered been to small, no option to get another one. 

They bagged up children's items in rage and made them pay for the stuff they wanted back, including their homework. 

A few of the children have had no electronics for a year for having one bad grade. Ruby takes glee in telling them that they will never get them back. 

A few of them have mentioned having no friends and feeling isolated from their classmates.

Kevin says all their punishments are sanctioned by the psychologists they spoke to and Ruby has posted she doesn't regret her actions despite being called out for it. 

When it was suggested to her them to look into getting son Russell tested for autism, they refused to get him tested. 

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 6
  • Angry 1
  • Disgust 6
  • Sad 7
  • WTF 23
  • Thank You 3

I guess the only good thing about these families exploiting their children for money and attention means they will be challenged when they are abusive or neglectful. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6

NIghtmare abusive parents.  At least they aren't homeschooling and the kids can get away when they're 18. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 7

51 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

They have removed bedroom and bathroom doors as punishment for children.

Horrible. A former friend of mine was raised Mormon and this is exactly what the dad insisted on in their  house. Coincidence? Is there some teaching out there about this??

I’m so glad this family has been brought up. I had a fascination with Mormon Mommy Bloggers that led to rabbit holes about Mormonism. I watched them a few times years ago and then just couldn’t-it was one big fake show. I’ve heard Mormons say they specifically blog and vlog as an effort to convert people. It’s their new ministry and they pull people in by making everything look shiny. And blonde. So blonde. 

• Upvote 18

I'm a psychologist and would never sanction  counsel their  punishments abuse.  What they call punishment is not age appropriate natural consequences.  

• Upvote 26
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

Thank you for bringing this family up, @Glasgowghirl. I’ve been thinking of this second YT scandal within the span of hardly more than a week a lot today. First, we learn about poor Huxley, now the focus is put on the 8Ps. As sad as these cases are, it is good the media puts both families under scrutiny. 

I had never watched 8 passengers before this scandal (same as the Stauffers, I hadn’t been familiar with them before they abandoned Huxley) but had occasionally seen their channel’s name pop up. I was never interested, though, and just didn’t know who the family even was. 

Now that I’ve read about the accusations leveled against them, I’m disgusted. Mind you, all allegations arose because the family - mainly the parents, though, I suppose - decided to publish them for all the world to see. The abuse in their home seems so rampant and common place that it didn’t even occur to them that how they mistreat their kids could taint their image. 

These parents are incredibly cruel to their children, all the while making money off of their backs. Both Ruby and her husband (his name escapes me at the moment) are sadistic, plain and simple. 

I’m not in favor of family vlogging channels frequently including children because the little ones rarely have a say in what details of their lives get published and even if they can opt out of appearing in videos, they cannot yet comprehend the full extent of social media. However, there are some much better, more respectful family vloggers on YouTube than the 8Ps. The latter parents are literally abusive towards their poor children. 

• Upvote 10

I'm only familiar with 8 Passengers due to an older April & Davey (Orgill) YT I watched not long ago where Chad (friend of Zayd Orgill) snuck along on a family trip to Lake Powell a year (or more) ago.  They called his mother and she said he could stay but now I wonder what the real repercussions from that stunt.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, FluffySnowball said:

Thank you for bringing this family up, @Glasgowghirl. I’ve been thinking of this second YT scandal within the span of hardly more than a week a lot today. First, we learn about poor Huxley, now the focus is put on the 8Ps. As sad as these cases are, it is good the media puts both families under scrutiny. 

I had never watched 8 passengers before this scandal (same as the Stauffers, I hadn’t been familiar with them before they abandoned Huxley) but had occasionally seen their channel’s name pop up. I was never interested, though, and just didn’t know who the family even was. 

Now that I’ve read about the accusations leveled against them, I’m disgusted. Mind you, all allegations arose because the family - mainly the parents, though, I suppose - decided to publish them for all the world to see. The abuse in their home seems so rampant and common place that it didn’t even occur to them that how they mistreat their kids could taint their image. 

These parents are incredibly cruel to their children, all the while making money off of their backs. Both Ruby and her husband (his name escapes me at the moment) are sadistic, plain and simple. 

I’m not in favor of family vlogging channels frequently including children because the little ones rarely have a say in what details of their lives get published and even if they can opt out of appearing in videos, they cannot yet comprehend the full extent of social media. However, there are some much better, more respectful family vloggers on YouTube than the 8Ps. The latter parents are literally abusive towards their poor children. 

I hadn't watched them before until a youtuber I like spoke about them and I looked into them more in the past few day's. Those poor children and in video she put up she is threatening to behead her toddler's teddy with scissors and the child is terrified and it actually reminded me of Miss Trunchbull from Matilda, she sounded so sadistic and the poor child was horrified. 

I follow a few family's both in the UK and US that are so much nicer and also have a degree of respect for their children's privacy. In a Q and A on their channel the Radford family, Britain's largest family answered a question on why some of the children were filmed more than others and they said that if they don't want to be in videos they don't have to be and many of their older children are often at work or out when vlogs are filmed anyway. This family filmed stuff that the children were obviously uncomfortable with. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Pleiades_06 said:

Is there some teaching out there about this??

John Rosemond, a fucking asshole who is also a very popular parenting psychologist, has long recommended removing a child's or adolescent's bedroom door:

Parent: Our 13-year-old daughter has a very bad attitude, mostly when it comes to our family. She stays in her room most of the time, reading, and only participates in family activities if we force her, and then she does her best to make life miserable for the rest of us. The incredible thing is that her teachers, coaches and friends' parents all love her. They constantly rave about how helpful and personable and mature for her age she is. That frustrates us even more. We've tried everything under the sun to reach her, but to no avail. Help!

Rosemond: ...You can exorcise her inner brat — drive it far from your home, never to be seen again — by simply taking her door off her room. Picture the shock when she comes home from school one day to find that her private sanctum is now a very public sanctum. No doubt, her pet demon will cause her to rant and rave for some time before it packs its bags and leaves to find more suitable habitation.

When the ranting and raving has subsided, simply tell her that when the real daughter that you love and cherish comes out of hiding and begins to act like a respectful, grateful person, her door will be restored. Tell her that to be sure your real daughter is back, she must act like your real daughter for at least a month.

Let me assure you that it won't be long before her door is back on her room.

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Angry 6
  • Disgust 2
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 18
  • Thank You 1

Viewing videos at random now.  FYI the parents were one of the couples the Orgills were on vacay with in the Caribbean in early March during Corona and the Salt Lake earthquake.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

They have removed bedroom and bathroom doors as punishment for children. Having no door to get washed dressed or even pee in peace is just crazy. 

A former boss did that as punishment for "misbehavior" to his ADHD(?) son as well as removed all the furniture from the child's bedroom except a mattress on the floor. In the 3 years I worked  at that job, I don't remember the child ever having furniture in his room.

I use ADHD(?) as the father told me his son was diagnosed at 2.5 and had been continuously in therapy and on medication since he was 3. I thought that was really young, but I don't know.

The child was was adopted at 2 weeks and the father was, when I knew him. somewhat less that happy how the child was turning out.  The child was 11 when I knew about all this.  The father was very open about his parenting style and swore if it didn't work by the time the boy graduated high school, they would kick him out and cut off all ties.

I wonder sometimes if he kept to his word.  I suspect he probably did.

• Sad 21
  • WTF 2

1 hour ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I use ADHD(?) as the father told me his son was diagnosed at 2.5 and had been continuously in therapy and on medication since he was 3. I thought that was really young, but I don't know.

I'm a psychologist and we don't diagnose ADHD that young because most symptoms of ADHD are normative for children younger than 6. In fact, it's an exclusionary criterion for an ADHD diagnosis. However, the prescribing of ADHD medications has become much more controlled and most primary care doctors and pediatricians now require a diagnostic assessment from a psychologist or psychometrist before they prescribe these medications now days. An ADHD assessment uses many standardized assessment tools, multiple informant measures and interviews (parents, kid, teachers etc), and observation to rule out and rule in appropriate diagnoses. For example, common differential diagnoses can be learning disorders (e.g. dyslexia), cognitive impairments, anxiety disorders, behavioral issues etc. or contextual factors that impact behavior (e.g. being bullied at school, overly lax discipline, absence of structure and routine).

Unfortunately, there used to be a huge problem with the over-diagnosis of ADHD and the gold-standard treatment is medication and behavioral supports (e.g. teaching the kid or adult or parent of kid strategies to minimize the symptoms of ADHD) but the stimulants prescribed for ADHD will make the behaviors of kids who don't actually have ADHD worse because you've just given a kid who doesn't have a neurological condition that causes them to be constantly under stimulated a stimulant! *face palm*

Your ex-boss sounds awful. I hope that kiddo grew up and got out of there :(

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Pleiades_06 said:

Horrible. A former friend of mine was raised Mormon and this is exactly what the dad insisted on in their  house. Coincidence? Is there some teaching out there about this??

I’m so glad this family has been brought up. I had a fascination with Mormon Mommy Bloggers that led to rabbit holes about Mormonism. I watched them a few times years ago and then just couldn’t-it was one big fake show. I’ve heard Mormons say they specifically blog and vlog as an effort to convert people. It’s their new ministry and they pull people in by making everything look shiny. And blonde. So blonde. 

My bet is on the door removal and "try not to be alone" house rule stemming at least in part from the LDS church's absolute OB.SESSION. with masturbation and preventing it. 

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, PsyD2013 said:

I'm a psychologist and would never sanction  counsel their  punishments abuse.  What they call punishment is not age appropriate natural consequences.  

Ditto this. Not only that but you can't possibly be able to apply such severe and prolonged punishments immediately and consistently. Once a kid has no hope of being able to earn things back or be forgiven or learn from past misbehaviors, you just create a child who feels helpless, hopeless, and fearful. If you've already had your electronics banned for a month and then every other misstep gets you another month...it is going to stop being a motivator for engaging in the desired behaviors because why would you behave when you basically have no hope of getting it back and what's another month when you already have a 12 month punishment. It's also a fantastic way to motivate secrecy and just not getting caught rather than the kid actually internalizing morality and self-control or the lessons you want them to learn. The number of times that I've had to say to parents, "The goal of discipline isn't to make them terrified to be caught, it's to raise a child to become an independent adult one day who knows right from wrong and why things are right/wrong and to be able to moderate their own behavior."

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Aine said:

If you've already had your electronics banned for a month and then every other misstep gets you another month...it is going to stop being a motivator for engaging in the desired behaviors because why would you behave when you basically have no hope of getting it back and what's another month when you already have a 12 month punishment. It's also a fantastic way to motivate secrecy and just not getting caught rather than the kid actually internalizing morality and self-control or the lessons you want them to learn.

I wish you’d been able to talk to my parents when I was a teen! My parents just took my phone constantly for reasons like getting a B on a quiz to giving a “funny look” which was usually me just rolling my eyes. It got to the point where it was a joke between my friends and I that I’d never get my phone back until I graduated high school. I still continued to do all the same behaviors but learned to be very sneaky and distrustful because I knew any little thing about my life I told them about would get my phone taken longer. My parents to this day are baffled that I want nothing to do with them and don’t run to them to tell them about my life or see them unless it’s absolutely necessary. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 10

6 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

John Rosemond, a fucking asshole who is also a very popular parenting psychologist, has long recommended removing a child's or adolescent's bedroom door:

Okay, that kid sounds exactly like me at the same age and I truly just wanted some peace and quiet to think and read. I have ADHD and I can't focus at all when a bunch of shit is going on around me. My parents and I used to snipe at each other all the time over keeping my door closed, knocking, etc. but luckily they never went that far. Jesus.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 8

I kept getting in trouble for shit I hadn't done yet. Figured, "hell, if you're going to accuse me of it, might as well do it". lt worked well, I had a helluva lot of fun. However, I probably wouldn't have done 90% of what I did if I hadn't been accused of it first. I was like "ok, you say I'm smoking weed...go out and get baked", "you say I'm fucking every guy that crosses my path? I can do that". 

That shit backfires in a HUGE way...don't know WTF her problem was, other than she was crazy and my father went along because she had him convinced "she wouldn't know the truth if it bit her in the ass". I got GOOD at lying my ass off with a straight face. I mean like excelled at it. Then she wondered why I didn't "trust" her with shit in my life. Hmmm...I wonder why???

That has changed from my generation to this one...I know more shit about my kids than I EVER wanted to know. I mean, they just blab out shit to me...I guess they find me trustworthy...but damn! There's shit I could have gone to my grave not knowing about my kids. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 4

4 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Okay, that kid sounds exactly like me at the same age and I truly just wanted some peace and quiet to think and read. I have ADHD and I can't focus at all when a bunch of shit is going on around me. My parents and I used to snipe at each other all the time over keeping my door closed, knocking, etc. but luckily they never went that far. Jesus.

The schoolday is loooooong and full of busyness and large groups. It makes perfect sense that someone would want some privacy to unwind in after. I don’t understand why that would bother anyone.

I get frustrated when I hear parents complain about their teens being on screens “all the time!” when what they really mean is that after eight hours of hard work, physical activity, and socializing, their kid wants some downtime (in my experience, getting lost in a game or videos is the mental equivalent of the closed bedroom door). Many parents don’t “count” the busyness of the school day and just declare that whatever they do after school is what they do “all day” and get panicky and controlling about it. Not cool!!

Privacy and downtime for every member of the family is a big priority in our house.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 8

I can’t wait for the day my 5 year old can be alone in a room for 5 minutes. 

• Upvote 16
  • Haha 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

A former boss did that as punishment for "misbehavior" to his ADHD(?) son as well as removed all the furniture from the child's bedroom except a mattress on the floor. In the 3 years I worked  at that job, I don't remember the child ever having furniture in his room.

I’ve seen something similar recommended for a child with Oppositional Defiant Disorder—take everything out except a bed, lamp, and desk, and they have to “earn” the rest back through good behavior.(Not saying I agree.)

And on the previously mentioned Adoption Stories, the gay adoptive parents of a young teen girl took her bedroom door off(three times!)as punishment for slamming said door. :(

Edited by smittykins
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 7

25 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I’ve seen something similar recommended for a child with Oppositional Defiant Disorder—take everything out except a bed, lamp, and desk, and they have to “earn” the rest back through good behavior.(Not saying I agree.)

And on the previously mentioned Adoption Stories, the gay adoptive parents of a young teen girl took her bedroom door off(three times!)as punishment for slamming said door. :(

I had a door slammer! I wasn’t about to take a door off the hinges so I put padding on the door so you couldn’t slam it. You could shut it. It just didn’t make a loud noise when you slammed it.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 8

Video for we took Chad to camp (not scrubbed yet)

Spoiler

And telling the kids 

Spoiler

This one I think is from almost a year ago.  Sponsored video because they got refurbished iPads for a trip.  Sharing because she talks about things like they don’t belong to the kids, they belong to me and have the privilege of using them. And I believe Chad at this time lost phone privileges 

Spoiler

Chad’s very recent bedroom reveal.  It’s a rather sparse room.  Nd I’ve seen the lights used by the Orgills not that long ago. 

Spoiler

• Sad 1
  • WTF 2

2 hours ago, clueliss said:

Hide contents

What an unflattering and odd still (unflattering to her and to their relationship). YouTube lets you choose what image to use; why this??

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

I would have never lasted in this family.  I am an introvert and need periods of silence and alone time to recharge.  As a teen I spent time in my room after school because I needed quiet to study and recharge after spending the day around large noisy groups.  PsyD Jr shares many of my personality traits.  I would NEVER remove the door from his bedroom because I respect his need for down time (the door also keeps me from having to listen to Fox News).

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I'm having an introspective moment because I watched bits of those videos, and I'm just not sure I would have seen any problem at all with these people -- on my own, at first glance. That's one of the things I appreciate FJ for: it teaches me how to see things that I don't immediately pick up on.

So I don't want to say, "I'm not seeing the dysfunction." -- because it's there. I get it. But I want to ask: "What should I be looking for?" -- how can I become observant of the right sorts of things? How did you guys clue-in that this isn't just a normal family thoughtfully enrolling their beloved kid in a program that's going to meet his needs? What are the covert red flags here?

• Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic