IGNORED

Turpins - 13 shackled kids

Sideways

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Chicken bones said:

Thanks for finding that! It confirms my suspicion that they lived in Texas before the CA move. I wonder if any of those neighbors will be talking.

21 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

"They are hopeful that things will get better for them." That just breaks my heart. I remember from our local case, that they had to be really careful with nutrition , because their digestive systems couldn't handle too much food at one time.

One of the young men from the Donner party, iirc a teenage boy, died shortly after rescue and the cause of death was listed as "overeating."

He had snuck into food stores and gorged while they were recovering and his body couldn't handle it.  Heartbreaking.

28 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

In my experience, most people don't have property in another state without previously living in it or using it as vacation.

A lot of people have investment property in states they've never lived in.  When my dad died it was a pain in the ass to offload a couple of lots we didn't know he had in different states.  

But usually people with investment properties sell them before they're forced into foreclosure and bankruptcy I would imagine.

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

One of the young men from the Donner party, iirc a teenage boy, died shortly after rescue and the cause of death was listed as "overeating."

I think they call it refeeding syndrome now. IIRC, there was a scene in Band of Brothers where they liberated what I think was supposed to be Dachau and one of the soldiers told the 101st not to give any of the prisoners food. 

Just now, HerNameIsBuffy said:

A lot of people have investment property in states they've never lived in.  When my dad died it was a pain in the ass to offload a couple of lots we didn't know he had in different states.  

A lot of people have properties in countries they don't live in. It's part of the reason our housing market is so fucked - "investment property" should be more regulated or not allowed. 

13 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

But usually people with investment properties sell them before they're forced into foreclosure and bankruptcy I would imagine.

Yes, you are correct but this family doesn't seem like the investment or vacation property type. And as you said, most people with investments don't let it get foreclosed. However, I just thought of one big exception to this assumption - Donald Trump. But we don't need to dirty up this thread with the orange one.

3 hours ago, FunFunFundie said:

"“We don’t believe anything until we find definite proof,” Betty Turpin, 81, told TIME on Tuesday. “It’s just a one-sided story. You can’t always go with that.”"

Fuck you, Betty Turpin. I get it that you don't want to see accusations about your son, but the "one-sided story" is coming from your GRANDCHILDREN.  

One obviously doesn’t have to be a grandparent to appreciate how fucked up this is. But, as I am one, I am forced to consider whether something like this could happen under our watch. I firmly believe the answer is no.  It is one thing for the parents to be completely vile, insane, abusive monsters, but for this grandmother to either not see, or choose not to see, this appalling situation is somehow just as horrifying. Those poor kids couldn’t even rely on their grandparents to help them.  Words can’t convey my sadness at this.

57 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

"They are hopeful that things will get better for them." That just breaks my heart. I remember from our local case, that they had to be really careful with nutrition , because their digestive systems couldn't handle too much food at one time.

Yep, refeeding symdrome  can be fatal. And is always vvv unpleasant. Apparently it was first studied seriously in survivors of concentration camps. Thankfully there is a really clear procedure and excellent blood tests to avoid severe complications now. 

Just so horrible, I could cry that they 're hopeful things will get better and hope they are right. 

3 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

I think they call it refeeding syndrome now. IIRC, there was a scene in Band of Brothers where they liberated what I think was supposed to be Dachau and one of the soldiers told the 101st not to give any of the prisoners food. 

I read about that...makes sense but it had to be gut wrenching to fight the natural instinct to give starving people food.

The saddest part of all this is as bad as the physical aspect of this is, and it's horrifying, the psychological and mental damage has to be worse by orders of magnitude.

I can't wrap my head around this.  I cannot imagine eating anything while my children were hungry.  My kids all have jobs and access to a kitchen full of food and atm all I want to do is go home and feed them.  

The lack of noise is so sinister.  I have three kids, two years apart and have always lived in neighborhoods with kids...they are neither silent nor invisible.  They aren't on some remote lot....they never had a window open?  Never went in the yard.  

Even with three when it was nice out I'd be sick of the sound of my screen door slamming and my own voice saying, "In or out....pick one!" Tea parties on the deck, the endless thud of a basketball hitting the backboard....shrieking through the sprinkler, begging for Popsicle.  "Mom, I'm hungry."  Mom, Ozzy's trying to climb onto the roof."   "Mom!  I want the dogs to act in my play but they aren't following directions!"

That is not a large house, so how did 15 people remain so quiet neighbors didn't know they were there?  

I don't condone, but can understand when parents get so messed up they think they are doing the right thing.  If Steve feels in his heart that he's protecting his kids with Maxwell isolation than his actions make sense from that standpoint.  He's wildly wrong, but if he thinks it's best for them he's parental instincts to protect are there even if tragically mis-wired.

But in cases like this Idk how two people were both so lacking in parental protective instincts?  

I was once very emaciated from anorexia and tried to recover on my own by starting to eat more. A couple days in I got really sick, vomiting and shaking. The havoc food wreaks on your digestive system when you haven't been eating much is miserable anyway.

Fortunately these kids are in hospitals with professionals who will make this process as safe and easy for them as possible.

10 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Yes, you are correct but this family doesn't seem like the investment or vacation property type. And as you said, most people with investments don't let it get foreclosed. However, I just thought of one big exception to this assumption - Donald Trump. But we don't need to dirty up this thread with the orange one.

Yeah - I didn't mean to seem pedantic pointing it out because I didn't think investment properties were relevant to them.  Just when I read your post I remembered the whole pita of having to find realtors in two states to unload property we knew nothing about.  

I had read they had a double wide foreclosed on as well, I think at the same time as the farm so I got the impression it was on that property.  Could all of those people fit in a double wide?  

This is reminding me of very, very early Naugler threads where you and I were looking at square footage on garden sheds and I was pulling up code regulation for habitable structures in Kentucky. 

I have been very disturbed by this news all day.

My hope is that the foster families of the minors have the heart to help out the adult children too. They may be adults but I don't think they have reached the emotional maturity of adulthood. I hope that the kids receive intensive psychiatric and therapeutic care along with love. I hope that eventually they can all get their GED, take courses, and learn job-placement skills. I just hope they can find loving people in their lives to help them with the healing process. My heart is really breaking especially for the adult kids. The parents have created this situation where the kidults are like fish out of water because they are adults yet still kids.

On another note, I remember reading that the first thing the police did was get the kids food because they said they were starving and then brought them to the hospital afterwards. That was not a good idea because we have no idea what their digestive systems would be able to tolerate after being so malnourished. When concentration camp victims of the Holocaust were discovered, the army gave them food because they were emaciated. It caused some of them to die because their stomachs couldn't tolerate it.

Fundamentalism is prime breeding ground for abuse like this to happen because of the emphasis on the father as patriarch of the whole family. If someone wants to be a fundamentalist, fine go have at it but don't drag innocent children into it with you- that's the problem because it's exactly what they do.

I hadn't thought about the fact that the kids will probably be going to different foster families. I wonder if it's hard for them to be apart.

If the adult children had not been abused, they might have been the natural guardians for the younger kids. But, sadly, I doubt any of them have the faculties of an adult and will need rehabilitation, treatment, and education themselves.

4 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

My hope is that the foster families of the minors have the heart to help out the adult children too.

I hope they find a way to maintain close contact between the kids (including the adult kids) as I cannot imagine how terrifying this all must be for them and they are going to need each other as they get acclimated.

I don't get how kids so isolated and controlled that they don't even go in their own backyard to play with each other could interact in any kind of normalish way with the Elvis impersonator or in public at Disney.  

Do they think all the other kids they see at Disney go home to seclusion and chained to furniture?   We may never know the answers and if the kids don't want to share as they heal it's none of our business, but the power of the human mind to find a way to deal with horrific circumstances is amazing to me and I'm in awe of the mental survival instincts people in these situations exhibit.

7 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I hadn't thought about the fact that the kids will probably be going to different foster families. I wonder if it's hard for them to be apart.

I would think (hope) they will keep them in groups so no one is alone, and then arrange for all of them to be together as much as possible.

I know the rules in my state when my sister was a foster mom back in the 80's were very strict regarding personal space for each kid, furniture required, etc. so if it's the same there I doubt any one foster family could meet regs with beds and bedrooms for all 13 or even the 6 minor kids.  

I haven't had a "what the hell went on in that house" feeling like this since the Bever family murders from Oklahoma a few years ago.  (Which I think may have been my initial post here.)

In all the articles I read, I don't remember if there was any time frame as to how long they were kept chained up. Maybe the abuse started small and escalated? 

16 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

Fundamentalism is prime breeding ground for abuse like this to happen because of the emphasis on the father as patriarch of the whole family.

It's the requirement for unquestioned obedience imo, but yes fundy circles that's the dad.  

And the isolation.  Teaching them to fear and distrust "others" instilling paranoia toward everyone outside their circles.  It's the whole devil you know thing from the cradle and it's sickening.

4 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

It’s wickedly selfish to go to Vegas for a vow renewal in 2011, 2013, and 2015. I mean, really? That should have been a red flag something was off.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the grandparents knew more odd behavior and happenings going on than they’re letting on.

Totally bizarre and self indulgent.

There are just no words. I actually cried at that video, watching those (older) girls "dance" with Elvis. 

I hope those parents never get out of prison. 

1 hour ago, seattlechic said:

She was PERPLEXED???? OMG bit... you did not. I can't deal with this excuse of a human being. Really. 

I imagine she was perplexed because she never thought one of them could/would escape and report.

6 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

Totally bizarre and self indulgent.

There are just no words. I actually cried at that video, watching those (older) girls "dance" with Elvis. 

I hope those parents never get out of prison. 

Oh, how I wish this would be the finale on this saga. But alas, something tells me the state of CA will imprison them for about 5 years and then let them go. 

2 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

OMFG WTH!! What kind of evil is this? I literally have no words.

OMG for a second I thought you said "what kind of Elvis is this?" and I thought "No shit, the Elvis impersonator looks like shit".  Sorry, couldn't help myself. 

It is striking to me how much these two women look alike.  The top two photos are Louise Terpin. The second two photos are Odalis Sharp.  Odalis Sharp brought her fundamentalist singing family from Texas to the Malheur Nature Reserve in Oregon to support Cliven Bundy.  She's crazy, too, and had her kids taken from her when they escaped from their home after hiding all the guns and while Odalis was in the shower.  Just a coincidence, I'm sure, but their appearances are very similar.  Crazy eyes.

Spoiler

5a5e790ccb923_ScreenShot2018-01-16at2_10_30PM.png.1f6676b675ceb16ae98c19894c0522fd.png5a5e792690a87_ScreenShot2018-01-16at2_11_15PM.png.7833a5fe37e0c87144805e0e94963289.png

5a5e78e57ff3d_ScreenShot2018-01-16at2_06_16PM.png.199d083f7ee9188b13aee0e96b5a5be4.png5a5e78fe95bed_ScreenShot2018-01-16at2_07_07PM.png.e22c383d8d48ad298183b8a8ab07fad2.png

• dawbs locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived