IGNORED

Turpins - 13 shackled kids

Sideways

9 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Yeah, I feel no need to get into a pissing contest with a 29 year old who has been abused and neglected her whole life and chained to her bed... :my_confused:

I don’t know that she was naking it a pissing contest. I read it as marveling at the sheer amount of life that a person could be deprived of from 18-29. It makes the tragedy of it feel so real when you think of all that you’ve done in that time frame. All that they never had a chance to do.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know what time the press conference is and how we can watch it?

Also what happens to the 7 kidults since foster families can’t exactly take them in even though they’re probably emotionally similar to children? 

5 minutes ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

I don’t know that she was naking it a pissing contest. I read it as marveling at the sheer amount of life that a person could be deprived of from 18-29. It makes the tragedy of it feel so real when you think of all that you’ve done in that time frame. All that they never had a chance to do.

It still seems really weird to me. Like lamenting the fact that by the time you were Anne Frank's age you had already gotten halfway through high school, had a part time job, and traveled to Australia.

37 minutes ago, Zebedee said:

Yeah, "Thing #"? wtf?

I don't find that to be super weird.  I mean maybe having them up to 13 yes, but in general now.  It's from Dr. Seuss and I've seen a lot of cute things for twins with thing 1 and thing 2 on them.

Pretty sure any 13 kids in the age range they have dressed exactly alike is going to look pretty wtf.

45 minutes ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

Hahahha I have never heard of that... I don't think I could eat it without giggling. 

I've had Magnum ice cream bars.  They're very good, but pricy!

2 hours ago, Curious said:

parents are being held on $9 mil EACH, they are being charged with torture and child endangerment.

I think there will be more charges in the coming days. 

47 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I've seen enough weird cases over the years that I can't help but wonder if the mom is really the mom of that baby. So many of the girls are well into their childbearing years. :(

I wondered about this, but I'm actually thinking they are all theirs. I am concerned that there may have been more kids who didn't make it. :( I wonder if the current and previous houses will be searched. 

11 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

Does anyone know what time the press conference is and how we can watch it?

Also what happens to the 7 kidults since foster families can’t exactly take them in even though they’re probably emotionally similar to children? 

They didn't say what time.  I have CNN on so will post if they give a time.

The kidults are in adult protective care based on one of the articles linked earlier.

According to the FBI there are usually around forty-ish active serial killers in America at any given time. I wonder how many Turpins and Rodrigues' there are. Especially when they limit contact with the outside world and have abused their children into submissiveness. If Jill didn't post photos of her baby cage, who would have thought that the weird singing family was that out of touch with appropriate parenting? It's so freaky to think about. :( Those poor children

that video is like the opening to a damn CSI episode. How horrific... and yes it terrifies me to think there are more of theee families silently abusing children. I saw a comment on a news article that all homeschool kids should get wellness checks and while I’m a big fan of personal freedoms...  maybe I’m starting to lean that way too :( this is horrible 

1 hour ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I read that she was married at 17, which means that it’s quite possible for her to have a late in life baby if she has been consistently fertile for so long.

This is true. As I mentioned in my first post up the thread, I've been dipping into a lot of public records through my genealogy websites, and their marriage certificate is available. She was actually 16 (going on 17).

14 hours ago, TSOWOATNK said:

All older kids appear younger than they actually are. This could be because of abuse/malnourishment, or it could simply be genetics since it is literally *all* of them. I peaked around their FB page, and it looks like they were more "involved" in the outside world at some point. 

I have a hypothesis;

The family was weird, but just short of abusive for years and years. They caught the attention of child services, so they reacted by completely cutting their kids/family off from the outside world in order to "protect" them. The father worked in something akin to intelligence, so he was already fairly paranoid. When child services got involved, he thought it was some sort of government plot "new world order" kind of thing so the transition to paranoia was quick. This "unjust" intervention was known in their circle of friends, so the sudden lockdown of socialization was excused/largely ignored. The older kids that had once known some modicum of freedom objected to the lockdown, and were "influencing" the younger kids to "misbehave" so they were shackled and "disciplined" in order to get them on board with the new family rules. 

Is any of this even remotely based on factual elements or complete fan fic?

1 hour ago, Zebedee said:

Yeah, "Thing #"? wtf?

Eh... My kids have Thing 1 and thing 2 shirts... after Dr Suess! (we got them at Universal Studios)... 

I noticed this in one of the grandparents’s comments, “The arrested couple's parents also said the children were given "very strict homeschooling," and that the children would memorize long passages of the bible. Some of the kids' goal was to memorize it in its entirety, said the couple.” 

What makes kids set this as goal? Control. Maxwell family style x10.

I am speechless. My heart goes out to the victims. My question is how as a grandparent do you not worry about your grandchildren?

14 hours ago, hasunah said:

I read through the websleuths thread and found this posting by a member there very fitting 

Do you have a link?  I couldn't find it there, thanks.

15 minutes ago, karen77 said:

Eh... My kids have Thing 1 and thing 2 shirts... after Dr Suess! (we got them at Universal Studios)... 

Lol, #1 and #2 is fine! Just guess I am a bit prejudiced when the numbers get into double digits - mainly from JB&M not seeing to know the actual names of their kids - seemed like an easy "out" for them.

No offence intended :)

1 hour ago, FoodieNotFundie said:

This is true. As I mentioned in my first post up the thread, I've been dipping into a lot of public records through my genealogy websites, and their marriage certificate is available. She was actually 16 (going on 17).

16 years old, married to a 24 year old man (who I assume already had his Virginia Tech degree).  

No matter how crazy eyed that mom is, any fully grown man who marries a sixteen year old girl has got to be pretty fucked up.  

Edit: Wanted to add that FoodieNotFundie used their detective skills and discovered he was actually 23.  Which, IMO, is just as fucked up.  

I'm wondering how many degrees of separation they are from the Pearls, Duggars or ATI

Not to use stereotyping or anything (but I will), but the parents are both from WVA.  30 years ago it would not have been odd or unusual for 24 yer old to marry a 16 year old in WVA 

Even now not too many  people would think it odd. Especially if they were both raised conservative/fundie-lite and just went seriously wackalooney as time went on

10 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

16 years old, married to a 24 year old man (who I assume already had his Virginia Tech degree).  

No matter how crazy eyed that mom is, any fully grown man who marries a sixteen year old girl has got to be pretty fucked up.  

Indeed. Actually, according to the marriage certificate, he was 23. The records I see show he is currently 56, not 57. I've emailed the NY Times corrections department. Of course, records can have errors.

Just a couple random thoughts here.

1.) In addition to Ernest Angely, my part of Ohio is also home to other nutcases.  One such family was the Sexton family.  They actually lived in my town and their family sounds very similar to this family is a lot of ways.  Large family (nearly everyone in my age range went to school with one of the Sexton kids), controlling parents, abuse... and lots of bad stuff that went along with it.  Because of some of the similarities, I can't help but wonder if the youngest child or children were really mom's.  Hope my gut feeling is wrong about this.  

2.) Another local Ohio nutcase was a guy named James Mammone who killed his kids in the back seat of his car, killed his mother in law, and terrorized his ex-wife... all with the bodies of his kids still in the car as he went on his terror spree.  He had a hair cut very similar to this Turpin guy (weird bowl cut).  Ever since Mammone I have questioned why anyone who was sane would have this hair cut....

11 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

The adults in their 20s living there remind me of the Arndt kidults. I think there's creepy mind control going on. Out of all the fundies, I'd say the Arndts have freaked me out the most because of this reason. The amount of adult sons under one roof is not normal.

I think you get the Turpins if you mix the Arndts with the Rodrigues and have that family go completely off the rails .

25 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Do you have a link?  I couldn't find it there, thanks.

This is the entire thread . The comment is somewhere in the earlier pages

8 minutes ago, hasunah said:

I think you get the Turpins if you mix the Arndts with the Rodrigues and have that family go completely off the rails .

I am freaked out about the vow renewal.  Is it common in fundie circles to have a vow renewal that looks like a real wedding with all of your children dressed up as the best men/bridesmaids with no audience?

Because the only time I've ever heard of anybody doing that was JRod and then these people.

• dawbs locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived