IGNORED

Turpins - 13 shackled kids

Sideways

Forgive the link source (I have a problem...:shakehead:), but the Daily Fail published an article with some photographs of their old home. The new residents discovered feces-strewn carpets and scratch marks on the molding. It's horrific, so use your own discretion in viewing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5279989/Horror-Texas-homes-Turpin-couple-used-live.html

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

@Sideways -which article is this? I can't seem to find it. Thanks in advance

This is where it is cited.   http://www.khou.com/news/crime/ca-couple-charged-with-chaining-up-kids-lived-in-north-texas/508427733 

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

I completely agree, and I seriously hope they never see daylight again. However, is there any other American case of even horrific child abuse that entailed such a high bond amount? (I'm genuinely asking, I don't know enough about legal precedent here.) Million dollar bonds always seemed reserved for murder. 

It might have to do with a bond amount per child abused.  $9 million divided by 13 kids.  

2 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Another J-family.  

Do we know what's with that? I always thought the Duggars named all of their children with 'J' names to honor Jimboob, but there have been other families to name their children with 'J' names, including this one. Is it because of Jesus? Are you closer to Jesus if your name begins with the same letter as Jesus?

@Sideways my point exactly. The ENTIRE family is at fault here. ALL OF THEM. They abandoned this children knowing there was something the matter. The interview with the sister made me sick: "I want to tell my sister that I love her". BITCH, NO. 

I think there are also just a lot of popular J-names. Jason, Jennifer, and Jessica, for example, were all very popular in the 80's and 90's, not to mention classics like John, Joshua, and Jane.

22 minutes ago, Sideways said:

This is where it is cited.   http://www.khou.com/news/crime/ca-couple-charged-with-chaining-up-kids-lived-in-north-texas/508427733 

It might have to do with a bond amount per child abused.  $9 million divided by 13 kids.  

And let’s not forget that seven (right?) of them are not children, they are adults, even if they don’t look it. I suspect that must have played a large part in the bail decision.

4 hours ago, pelerine said:

Honestly, healthcare is not really all that expensive.

Your whole post is extremely problematic - I gently urge you to check your privilege. And I say this as a white (non-American) woman who benefits greatly from privilege in some ways in my life. 

Finally caught up- wow. How sad. Spare thoughts:

Does anyone know what the most likely trajectory for the adult kids is? I like to think that between welfare and Go-Fund-Mes, they could have a sort of halfway house situation with frequent social work check-ins. I don't know if that's feasible with reality though.

Without going too far on the idle speculation bus, I suspect there is major cult thought and behavior here. Apart from the abuse and enmeshment, it sounds like there are a lot of people who witnessed "weird, but not inherantly abusive/evil" type behavior from this family.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I sort of understand why a relative in shock might side with the attacker rather than victim. Generally, I'd think it's a lot easier to for a family to recover from a seventeen year old lying than from two adults chronically abusing children, so I can see that being a sad type of "wishful thinking" on grandma's part. I hope she comes to her senses and accepts reality soon.

American individualism has done a lot more harm for the country than good, in my opinion, and I have little patience for arguing its pros and cons these days. 

18 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Forgive the link source (I have a problem...:shakehead:), but the Daily Fail published an article with some photographs of their old home. The new residents discovered feces-strewn carpets and scratch marks on the molding. It's horrific, so use your own discretion in viewing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5279989/Horror-Texas-homes-Turpin-couple-used-live.html

Daily Mail is doing a great job summing up what's known about the Turpins so far.

It's not unusual for middle class families in So Cal to have Disneyland annual passes, as a single day pass is over $100.   But for that many kids?  And annually?  Here's the cost in 2014.  

The parents' obsession with Disneyland (license plates, the Mickey Minnie garden gnomes, the frequent visits to the theme park) adds another sinister layer to their cruelty. 

Disneyland, a child's fantasy, where everyone and everything is magical and good and perfect. A tragic juxtaposition to their lives.   Kids, "enjoy" a day at the Magic Kingdom, have fun on the rides, watch the people laugh, gobble up ice cream, churros, huge meals.   Then it's home to the hellhole. :cry:.     

Hollywood will come knocking to do a tell-all film.  5a5fb0a6199d6_ScreenShot2018-01-17at12_15_38PM.png.9d08601215fb8dc7c3c0ce9b4b7e739a.png

The seemingly fundie sister with red hair & 7 kids went on GMA today. Her interview made me sick too! "I want to tell my sister that I don't agree with what she did but she's my blood & I love her and we're praying for her salvation and we love her." PUKE VOMIT PUKE PUKE PUKE

THAT is what you want to say to your sister when you found out she starved & CHAINED up her 13 kids to THEIR BEDS?!?!??!?!?!?

The extended family is coming up with the most desperate excuses in an attempt to avoid any and all blame. Fess the hell up. You knew something was amiss and that your sister was crazy yet did nothing. YOU admitted on LIVE TV that David was a perv who would come in the bathroom when you showered! You admitted they wouldn't let you skype or talk to the children!!! THAT IS A RED FLAG. You could have easily called CPS, taking up less than 20 mins of your time. You cried on TV and said this has brought your entire family shame and suffering but you know what, 13 lives had to suffer for it. Complicit. I can't stand people that know bad shit is going on yet look the other way and do nothing since that's what's easier for themselves.

I also hope the entire extended family has no contact with these kids. The last thing these kids needs is for that sister to come in and keep up the indoctrination.

The interview is in the spoiler below.

Unemployment insurance IS NOT a handout. It is an entitlement that is earned by having covered work. Employers pay taxes that go towards funding the program. There is nothing noble about not collecting unemployment benefits that you are entitled to. 

That interview with the sister made me want to vomit. 

11 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Unemployment insurance IS NOT a handout. It is an entitlement that is earned by having covered work. Employers pay taxes that go towards funding the program. There is nothing noble about not collecting unemployment benefits that you are entitled to. 

Go Silverbeach. I just, in real life not even 30 minutes ago had to talk about this with someone. It makes me SICK that people have the audacity to tell suffering unemployed sick people that they're receiving handouts. I can guarantee you they wish they didn't and they don't want to do it. Wow. I just can't believe some people.

52 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

Does anyone know what the most likely trajectory for the adult kids is? I like to think that between welfare and Go-Fund-Mes, they could have a sort of halfway house situation with frequent social work check-ins. I don't know if that's feasible with reality though.

If the adult kids are diagnosed with a medical problem or disability, they might qualify for social security. Depending on the nature of the disability, they might be eligible to be placed in a group home. Otherwise, there's not much the government will do for them. Since this case is getting a lot of publicity, they can make a lot of money selling their story to the media. They might also attract the attention of a wealthy benefactor. Or if there are any normal relatives or friends of the family who could take them in, that's another possibility. But this is a country where veterans and former foster kids regularly end up on the streets. That would be the most likely outcome here, if this weren't such a high-profile case.

53 minutes ago, Sideways said:

Daily Mail is doing a great job summing up what's known about the Turpins so far.

It's not unusual for middle class families in So Cal to have Disneyland annual passes, as a single day pass is over $100.   But for that many kids?  And annually?  Here's the cost in 2014.  

The parents' obsession with Disneyland (license plates, the Mickey Minnie garden gnomes, the frequent visits to the theme park) adds another sinister layer to their cruelty. 

Disneyland, a child's fantasy, where everyone and everything is magical and good and perfect. A tragic juxtaposition to their lives.   Kids, "enjoy" a day at the Magic Kingdom, have fun on the rides, watch the people laugh, gobble up ice cream, churros, huge meals.   Then it's home to the hellhole. :cry:.     

Hollywood will come knocking to do a tell-all film.  5a5fb0a6199d6_ScreenShot2018-01-17at12_15_38PM.png.9d08601215fb8dc7c3c0ce9b4b7e739a.png

Yup, it's expensive, but if you don't feed them, nor cloth them because you keep them shackled when they're not in Disney, you can for sure afford it. 

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

I think there are also just a lot of popular J-names. Jason, Jennifer, and Jessica, for example, were all very popular in the 80's and 90's, not to mention classics like John, Joshua, and Jane.

This is the case with my kids; I tended to gravitate toward J names. My two oldest have first names that start with J and my youngest’s middle name starts with J. Of course, I only have 3. If I’d had a mega family I don’t imagine the trend would’ve continued. 

Sister in that video kept saying twenty years and then saying before the kids.  She does know one is 29? Not sure exact ages but 20 years ago they would have been almost tweens not babies. I also want to know what she means when she said she had to follow the rules the kids did. Anyone renting a room, with family or not, who has childrens rules should know something is up. 

I was reading an article about the mother getting pizza and Mexican food but not enough for a whole family. I sit here, my stomach rumbling as its almost time to go home and make dinner and it hit me how lucky I am that I don't know starvation like those kids. How God awful their lives had been. 

On 1/15/2018 at 4:25 PM, Nikedagain? said:

Oh my cow.

The dad looks like Michael Showalter's character Coop in Wet Hot American Summer!

Or the dude from Dumb and Dumber -

5 hours ago, pelerine said:

(Not quoting because I suck at snipping things without ruining the formatting of other things.)

I personally don't fear gun violence or high medical bills.  Statistically, gun violence per capita in the US is low.  My city saw a record number of homicides in 2017, and everyone is freaking out.  I'm just like, guys the total number of homicides was 0.01% of the population.  It's not that bad.  (Not saying I don't have sympathy for the victims and their families though.)  I have savings for medical bills, and in my experience, hospitals are always willing to negotiate.  Honestly, healthcare is not really all that expensive.  (And I've had my gallbladder out, have sleep apnea and scoliosis, and have all my regular physical exams, so I'm not skimping on care.)  

To me, living in a more "nanny-ish state" (I find that term somewhat derogatory toward people who live in those countries, as I don't think everyone who lives in such a place is childish or incompetent at life) would generate the same sort of frustration I get when my mother tells me to wear my coat when it's cold.  Cue the eyerolling and shouts of "Mom!  I'm 31 years old and I think I can judge for myself whether or not I need a coat!"  I'm an adult, I can take care of myself.  Just because some people are bad at taking care of themselves, doesn't mean I want or need more laws (or higher taxes).  I'd rather be on my own, with all the risks that entails, than living in a place that provides more aid but less independence.  It's not, to me, really about the money, but the philosophical principles at stake.  

[What follows in this paragraph is purely my personal perspective, so PLEASE don't take this as me judging anyone, because this is an opinion I really am not projecting on anyone else.]  I'm a fairly philosophical person, and I take my own personal life philosophy very seriously.  To me, I like to pay my own way on everything as a point of honor.  For example, I qualify for public service loan forgiveness for my student loans.  Instead, I have chosen to pay back my entire loan amount.  Partly because I wanted to pay extra and get the loans done in 5 years rather than be on the hook for 10 years, but mostly because to me it is a matter of personal honor.  I borrowed $30,086 and by george, I will repay $30,086 and not a penny less (actually quite a few pennies more, yay for daily compounding interest!).  To do anything else would make me personally feel dirty.  But if you (generic you) used PSLF, that's okay.  I am truly not judging you and I don't think you're wrong or bad.  It's not illegal, it's not cheating, and you're entitled to your life philosophy.  But don't lobby for mandatory PSLF, because I don't want it for me.

(If you're familiar with US political ideology, I'm definitely a libertarian :))

As far as education goes, on the one hand I don't believe in the "I'm going to be a historian so I shouldn't have to learn geometry" line.  I learned SO MUCH about clear logical thinking from my geometry class, and this day and age we need all the logical thinkers we can get.  On the other hand, I have no real use for central education planning from federal and state departments of education because every student is different, with different talents, different interests, different abilities, and different life goals.  So I don't know what to think.

I do love hearing different people's perspectives though.  Although I'm kind of a stereotypical "live free or die" American, I'm also a political historian by training and hearing from people who believe differently or who live under other theories of government is fascinating and educational.  (I love thinking through my assumptions in light of new ideas, even if I end up returning to my original ideas.)

You talk a lot about taking care of yourself in your post and it’s great that you can afford healthcare for you. But, as a resident in one of the nanniest countries in the world, I believe that humans can’t survive as individuals. And a society is only as strong as it’s weakest member. I hate how the ”me-first” attitude is creeping in everywhere.

I think that I was incredibly lucky to be born in a country where healthcare and education is free for all. It gave me, and everyone else, the opportunity to grow up and be whatever I wanted. Because I got the same education as everyone else no matter how much money their parents earned. And I could go to the university of my choice because it didn’t cost me, or anyone else, anything. I pay pretty high taxes, that is true. But I would gladly pay higher taxes and have better, cheaper public transport and even more security for those that are sick, old and poor. Not because I am sick, old or poor but because I believe the society that I live in will be better for me as well if it’s better for everyone. 

Yes, the goverment has decided I can’t homeschool my child. But I don’t believe my child is my property that I should be free to treat how ever I want just becuse I happened to give birth to him. He as a person should be protected, even from his parents if they are treating him badly. If I don’t agree with what they teach him in school, where he goes for free and gets free food every day, I can teach him what ever I want when he comes home. And if he gets sick he will get treatment that I don’t have to pay for and I have the right to stay home from my work to care for him and the goverment will give me money. And that is not a handout. It’s an investment in one current and one future tax payer.

Do I feel unfree in any way? Or like the goverment controls me? Not really. I have security for me and my family and that is also a freedom. I can’t go to a shop and buy a semi automatic gun and go shoot at things right away. I have never been sad about that. But I have been glad other people can not do it either. I actually wish more things were state owned and controlled. 

Do I understand that I am super lucky? That millions of people in the world would kill to have what I have? What I can give to my kid? I do. I wish everyone here understood that. Sadly they don’t. 

I just came from reading the interview from the sister. She sounded strung out. She thought her bro in law watching her shower was "like a joke" then said she was afraid of him, but that she's surprised they were abusive? That was a pile of contradictions. Please don't send these kids to her either.

1 minute ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I just came from reading the interview from the sister. She sounded strung out. She thought her bro in law watching her shower was "like a joke" then said she was afraid of him, but that she's surprised they were abusive? That was a pile of contradictions. Please don't send these kids to her either.

Crazy family. Keep those kids far away from them all. 

I can kind of see not calling the police because the sister won't let you talk to the kids.

I mean, she apparently hasn't had a good relationship with her family for two decades, and was probably a bit nuts to start with. It'd be simpler to interpret it as the sister being weird and using the kids as a bargaining chip/control thing. Or just legit not trusting her siblings. 

None of those things are great, but they wouldn't lead you to "kids chained to the bed" levels of abuse.

I really can't understand why the neighbours who interacted with the obviously isolated and terrified children didn't call social services for a check though.

10 minutes ago, SoGladIWasCofE said:

I can kind of see not calling the police because the sister won't let you talk to the kids.

I mean, she apparently hasn't had a good relationship with her family for two decades, and was probably a bit nuts to start with. It'd be simpler to interpret it as the sister being weird and using the kids as a bargaining chip/control thing. Or just legit not trusting her siblings. 

None of those things are great, but they wouldn't lead you to "kids chained to the bed" levels of abuse.

I really can't understand why the neighbours who interacted with the obviously isolated and terrified children didn't call social services for a check though.

I imagine if I called the police because my sister wouldn't let me talk to her kids they would just be annoyed with me.  Thats not probable cause to get a warrant to check anything out.  

I agree some of the neighbors had more reason to.

4 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Read Vance's book last year & ended up with a very sour taste in my mouth. It was an obnoxious combination of "I'm all right, Jack" and "It's your fault if you're a failure."

Found This Appalachia Life, which is very good, certainly much better than Vance's stuff -- the link is to a recommended reading list.

Thanks for this reading list! I listened to Hillbilly Elegy on cd last year and J.D. Vance read it himself. It left a bad taste in my mouth, especially hearing his tone of voice when he read certain things. I didn't like how he basically copped out to the "pull yourself out by your bootstraps" line. 

• dawbs locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived